Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

If a wrestler hasn’t bellowed “MOVE” at you with seconds to spare before they dump another wrestler into the seats you were occupying then you haven’t even been to a wrestling show

I feel like I’ve noticed people not moving at more shows I go to. It’s so weird. I went to a deathmatch show recently and no one was moving when glass and bloody people were coming their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

The_Rob posted:

I feel like I’ve noticed people not moving at more shows I go to. It’s so weird. I went to a deathmatch show recently and no one was moving when glass and bloody people were coming their way.

I've definitely noticed this too. Also fans loving with gimmicks, moving chairs and doors and stuff. I actually got cut up last year because a fan moved a door that was strategically placed to stop glass from flying into the crowd. Fans are getting too friendly out here

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was at a show a few weeks ago and there was 1 row of chairs on each side of the ring. It was close enough that I could just about reach out and touch the apron. I thought "Oh they aren't planing to do much on the outside of the ring" and I was wrong as just about every match spilled to the outside. By the end of the event just about every seat with someone in it was 2 feet back from where it started.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They always pack the seats too tight so its awesome when they screw up the furniture.

Also wrestlers should assault fans every now and then if they gently caress with the fuckery.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

I also need my wrestling personas to be one dimensional and static because I'm too dumb to use my brain to think about things

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/WrestlingIsKing/status/1616915693919772674

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Like when Johnny Rotten fired his bassist for liking the beatles.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

coconono posted:

They always pack the seats too tight so its awesome when they screw up the furniture.

Also wrestlers should assault fans every now and then if they gently caress with the fuckery.

I’ve always had a pro hitting the fans policy. If they suck they should get hit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brian clearly doing something right.

Edit: I guess I'm doing something right too, he's got me blocked for some God knows what reason.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

When did mjf bring out his simon system, i love terrible real-world-thing-in-wrestling segments

also, i am extremely offended when an avowed tough guy conservative calls someone a “buttmunch” like a kid in 1995 using a curse replacement

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Dawgstar posted:

Brian clearly doing something right.

Edit: I guess I'm doing something right too, he's got me blocked for some God knows what reason.

I remember when Brian spent years working with Jim Cornette having him in videos and stuff then Brian made one video defending comedy wrestling and Cornette immediately cut ties cause the guy just can't stop destroying every friendship he's ever had in his life over his insane wrestling bugaboos

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Seems like every so often these weirdos go off on people that actually make content that's not yelling at a wall.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It will always amuse me that the "young bucks do gymnastics routines" guys and the "omg that kick looked legit, he went into business for himself" guys are the same guys.

https://twitter.com/MeltzerSaidWhat/status/1616910308760604689?t=GXnrXiFyAe_ReN3ML-v1Bg&s=19

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Lamuella posted:

It will always amuse me that the "young bucks do gymnastics routines" guys and the "omg that kick looked legit, he went into business for himself" guys are the same guys.

There's something beautiful about the fact that sometimes the folks most convinced they're "in the know" are the most easily worked.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its almost like they dont actually like or care about wrestling and are just using it as an outlet to abuse other people online or something

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Alaois posted:

its almost like they dont actually like or care about wrestling and are just using it as an outlet to abuse other people online or something

Pffft, that's what politics is for, Wrestling is far too important for such frivolous behaviour

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lamuella posted:

https://twitter.com/MeltzerSaidWhat/status/1616910308760604689?t=GXnrXiFyAe_ReN3ML-v1Bg&s=19

Lol its a good kick well sold but I don't believe for a single second it was unplanned or unprofessional.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I like that Joey Ryan's errand boy screws up what kind of kick it is.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I like that Joey Ryan's errand boy screws up what kind of kick it is.

people used to make fun of eric bischoff for using karate terminology whenever someone threw a kick in WCW but it would have been way funnier if he said poo poo like "MMA Illegal Front Kick"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
MMA illegal Stink face

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Okada isn't a grounded opponent

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol this guy's pinned tweet is comparing Dave Meltzer to the zodiac killer c'mon man

https://twitter.com/MeltzerSaidWhat/status/1035666315049021440?s=19

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I feel like MSW predated even AEW. Is that thread favourite Les Moore?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I feel like MSW predated even AEW. Is that thread favourite Les Moore?

He predates AEW but it's not Les Moore, it's VCR/BluRay Wrestling the guy who got suspended from twitter for being a psycho to Brandi Rhodes. He's posted a lot of racist/sexist poo poo but got lapped by so many of the new accounts that do the same.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol this guy's pinned tweet is comparing Dave Meltzer to the zodiac killer c'mon man

https://twitter.com/MeltzerSaidWhat/status/1035666315049021440?s=19

Do you know how loving long the notes would have been if Dave was the zodiac killer??

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It really is amazing how long some people defended Meltzer Said What until he got caught going after Bix on behalf of Joey Ryan post Speaking Out.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

1glitch0 posted:

Do you know how loving long the notes would have been if Dave was the zodiac killer??

This is assuming he could have located any of the notes he wrote the way his office used to look

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ganso Bomb posted:

This is assuming he could have located any of the notes he wrote the way his office used to look

Why did I kill her? Um... I've got it right here... um.. okay... um..

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

"he's given us leads on another killer. We're going to Minneapolis to investigate the Crusher"

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Lamuella posted:

They're mutually compatible positions when you realize the central tenet is just "the only valid wrestling is what I, the person complaining, watched as a child"

The sweet spot between realism and recklessness for these people is always right there. That is why Canadian Destroyers are fake and gay and only destroy My Immersion but vertical suplexes are completely believable despite the cooperation from the opponent being much more poorly concealed in the latter. The latter is what they saw when they were too dumb to know it was fake but the former is something they weren't conditioned to

If you view your childhood wrestling as the pinnacle of the art and justify it by how "convincing" it was back then, anything that looks more convincing MUST be dangerous because the wrestling you grew up on was the peak of worked technique and going beyond that necessarily requires shoot strikes

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

They're mutually compatible positions when you realize the central tenet is just "the only valid wrestling is what I, the person complaining, watched as a child"

The sweet spot between realism and recklessness for these people is always right there. That is why Canadian Destroyers are fake and gay and only destroy My Immersion but vertical suplexes are completely believable despite the cooperation from the opponent being much more poorly concealed in the latter

Look, this is all well and good but my childhood match was DDP vs Bret Hart for the US Title and it kicked rear end

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

1glitch0 posted:

Why did I kill her? Um... I've got it right here... um.. okay... um..

(shuffles papers)

Oh god, it was staring us in the face the whole time. :stare:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Bonk posted:

(shuffles papers)

Oh god, it was staring us in the face the whole time. :stare:

he tried to warn us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8Xb5VJulQ

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love that as flawed as the Nitro book was, one of the interesting things it did was actually interview Jamie Kellner, who talked about actually being a wrestling fan growing up. This was a silly thing to say about a company that was losing so much money beforehand but how do people still believe this? (Also people in the WWF were sure they were going to buy the company before Kellner took over.)

https://twitter.com/tholzerman/status/1617858470954553345

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I love that as flawed as the Nitro book was, one of the interesting things it did was actually interview Jamie Kellner, who talked about actually being a wrestling fan growing up. This was a silly thing to say about a company that was losing so much money beforehand but how do people still believe this? (Also people in the WWF were sure they were going to buy the company before Kellner took over.)

https://twitter.com/tholzerman/status/1617858470954553345

there's episodes of wrestling observer radio from when the closure went down and that was the talking point at the time. dave would bring up the financial losses, bad demographics, toxic reputation due to both companies getting sexual/offensive to pop ratings, etc. but then say that the bottom line was that jamie kellner didn't like wrestling. i don't get it either but people still believe it because a lot of smart people kept repeating it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

little munchkin posted:

there's episodes of wrestling observer radio from when the closure went down and that was the talking point at the time. dave would bring up the financial losses, bad demographics, toxic reputation due to both companies getting sexual/offensive to pop ratings, etc. but then say that the bottom line was that jamie kellner didn't like wrestling. i don't get it either but people still believe it because a lot of smart people kept repeating it

At least with Dave he did eventually get it and try to set the record straight but once something is in the wind it takes a long time to go away. Or just never does.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Especially to look back at things now and it's not even that WCW was run incompetently, so was JCP. If not for Ted being a big fan (in a vaguely amusing contrast to the prevailing wisdom about Kellner) it would have been gone long before.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Dawgstar posted:

Especially to look back at things now and it's not even that WCW was run incompetently, so was JCP. If not for Ted being a big fan (in a vaguely amusing contrast to the prevailing wisdom about Kellner) it would have been gone long before.

Crockett and WCW were such a joke that to this day old timers talk about Bischoff like he was some kind of Machiavelli for insights like: “listen to your TV partner,” “have a cordial relationship with executives at your parent company” and “don’t scream slurs at women in the office.” Just a replacement level mind but he was an apex predator compared to those carny fucks

JR was famously kind of a dick back in the day but you can tell how stupid the culture was then when he was getting major heat for accepting dinner invites from Jim Hurd…their boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

King Bahamut posted:

Crockett and WCW were such a joke that to this day old timers talk about Bischoff like he was some kind of Machiavelli for insights like: “listen to your TV partner,” “have a cordial relationship with executives at your parent company” and “don’t scream slurs at women in the office.” Just a replacement level mind but he was an apex predator compared to those carny fucks

JR was famously kind of a dick back in the day but you can tell how stupid the culture was then when he was getting major heat for accepting dinner invites from Jim Hurd…their boss

Sometime last year I was watching old WCW shows from the era shortly after Ted Turner bought out JCP, and it's really astounding how many bad ideas made their way to TV. Like for every one good idea or match, you had five completely stupid ones. Between Herd not giving two fucks about wrestling and guys like Ole absolutely being unwilling to change with the times, a lot of absolute garbage got dumped on the screen. There was still some good stuff to be sure, what with the Flair/Steamboat and Flair/Funk feuds, but they were definitely the exceptions that proved the rule.