Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:69snypa: pif paf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Crossposting this here for the terrible awful deceitfulness and for your man desperately wanting to ogle his sister in the bath?? Also titty-spider-women, natch.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lmao I got an Isthereanydeal notification for 'God of War' on sale for a fiver!? Never seen it so cheap!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1197180/Spider_Queen_cave/

ahah the fuckin' video man :eyepop:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Crossposting this here for the terrible awful deceitfulness and for your man desperately wanting to ogle his sister in the bath?? Also titty-spider-women, natch.

Now THAT's some scum

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION posted:

The developers describe the content like this:

There will be two scenes of bathing during the game

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Wait, how was IsThereAnyDeal making such mistake? Do their listings not refer to AppIDs? They're not just... using a text string that matches the name of whatever is on the store, are they? Or mixing the different info fields? I'm very curious, does the link in the email point to the fake game or the real God of War? Or did it only point to ITAD's own page?

Now that I look at ITAD's link and page naming conventions, they do seem to use text strings instead of referring to the Steam apps themselves:

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/godofwar/info/ (actual God of War)
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/reddeadredemptionii/info/ (Red Dead Redemption 2, but with an II for whatever reason - someone did this manually?)
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/cyberpunkii0viivii/info/ (wait, ITAD treats ALL numbers as roman numerals?)
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/nierreplicantveriiiiiivviiivivviiiviiiiiiix/info/ (uhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

You can see another naming conflict in action right now, in fact, on their Dead Space page: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/deadspace/info/

They're listing both Dead Space 2008 and the Dead Space remake as the same product. Curiously, the $59.99 version currently available for pre-order on Origin has a "historical low" of $0.00 because ITAD thinks it is the same game. So that's how this is possible. :lol:

Steam splits game names up into several different parts:

Valve Steamworks documentation posted:

Where your game's name is defined

Your game's name is defined in three main locations:

Store info - On the "Basic Info" tab under "Edit Store". This name is used within the Steam store, including search results.
Steamworks Info - On the "General Application Settings" tab under Steamworks Settings. This name is used within the Steam library and the Steam Community.
Package Info - Each store package that sells your game. This is used to present your purchase option shown on your store page and during the checkout process.

And if you look at steamDB, Spider Queen cave currently has a depot named GodOfWar Content, matching the odd "GodOfWar" title in the ITAD email and on the game's store page as the package name - ITAD's scraper must have caught that, briefly updated its price info and sent out an email alert to everyone with the game on their waitlist.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've quite often had ITAD notify me of deals for games that turn out to be other, worse games. Right now on my wishlist I have a game called Buccaneers, and ITAD thinks I'm talking about a DLC for Port Royale.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That is some incredibly obtuse way to make problems for yourself, loving lol

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The problem is that ITAD tracks a bunch of sites and most of them aren't tracking games by their steam id number, so it just kind of has to guess.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've been seeing recommendations for a lot of games that cost exactly $1 and all have 10 positive reviews from accounts that only own 1 or 2 games. seel35games and didlstudio came up today, but there've probably been others. I guess the goal here is just to make money off people who are willing to buy something that looks questionable if it's cheap, but who knows?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ultrafilter posted:

I've been seeing recommendations for a lot of games that cost exactly $1 and all have 10 positive reviews from accounts that only own 1 or 2 games. seel35games and didlstudio came up today, but there've probably been others. I guess the goal here is just to make money off people who are willing to buy something that looks questionable if it's cheap, but who knows?

People discovered that 10 reviews is a magic number in steams algorithm for pushing content to people. I'm not surprised it's being gamed.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

ultrafilter posted:

Disappointed that the second one did not, in fact, link to a dildo studio.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

More surprised they want 20 euro for some of that poo poo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guess why many people hate this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vZzIQlTzVA

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Guess why many people hate this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vZzIQlTzVA

Well, good news: they're hard at work making GBS threads out painstakingly crafting a sequel within the same year that will surely address all complaints

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I keep this thread bookmarked and everytime I read the title “you have to say pif paf out loud to shoot” I laugh like an idiot. It gets more absurd the more I think about it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I saw the ManlyBadassHero video on that game is that like, the entire game? I know it's a subject that's been beat to death but what is it with horror games that are all like 45 minutes long and introduce a bunch of characters and lore and poo poo but then you have like one scripted running sequence and then it's over?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I keep this thread bookmarked and everytime I read the title “you have to say pif paf out loud to shoot” I laugh like an idiot. It gets more absurd the more I think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXCbwBxC3jc&t=83s

Hey! I'm pretty sure this guy is in fact NOT Spanish!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I wish more of these lovely horror games were honest about what they are: a proof of concept/interest check

Like it's not a bad thing to have a small demo or slice of a larger concept/game, and obv game jam games are their own thing too, but. Cmon

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

I saw the ManlyBadassHero video on that game is that like, the entire game? I know it's a subject that's been beat to death but what is it with horror games that are all like 45 minutes long and introduce a bunch of characters and lore and poo poo but then you have like one scripted running sequence and then it's over?

Five Nights at Freddy's made a bazillion dollars doing this and everybody else thinks it will work again.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Glagha posted:

It's trying to be Poppy's Playtime but speedrunning it straight to the 'merchandising and bootleg YouTube animation' part of the lifecycle.

Edit:
The 'sequel' is just the second chapter of the actual game story. I guess labelling it a sequel makes it more marketable?

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 16, 2023

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Glagha posted:

they cost like three dollars and an afternoon to put together and make more than that back on sales to the type of people who record themselves overreacting to jumpscares for internet clout

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Five Nights at Freddy's made a bazillion dollars doing this and everybody else thinks it will work again.

Yeah but Five Nights at Freddy's was like, a complete experience. It was a whole rear end game, even if it was a small bite-sized one. Like you at least see and deal with all the animatronics and the game has a definite ending.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The market for these games are YouTubers who cater to children and fan wiki editors that obsess over extensively categorizing all the “lore”.

Do you guys have any idea how many FNAF novels have been published? These guys want a piece of that pie.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
We need a mascot horror game where the gimmick is you can't let yourself directly look at or hear sounds made by the monster because it's intellectual property owned by Disney.

I've got a title: DEMONitizer

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

ErrEff posted:

The market for these games are YouTubers who cater to children and fan wiki editors that obsess over extensively categorizing all the “lore”.

Do you guys have any idea how many FNAF novels have been published? These guys want a piece of that pie.

my 7yo owns every FNAF graphic novel and only wants to buy FNAF merch of every palette swapped character. and he just wants to watch YouTube dudes yell and scream while playing FNAF and knockoffs. whatever they're doing is definitely working 🥲

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Let's see what new and interesting games are out there:

The Hidden and Unknown is a story-based game, that aims to widen the perception of its audience in the areas of psychology and philosophy.

Alright sounds interesting, let's look at the pri...

:stonk:

Surely for that price this must be one of the best games ever! Let's see what the devs say about it:

:stonklol:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

e: oh wow, had just glanced at the stuff and dismissed it as just random garbage, but :stonk: indeed.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 24, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, it's not wrong, you will learn a lot about yourself if you pay thousands of dollars for a trash game simply out of curiosity. It's also true that the contents of the nonsense inside don't matter even slightly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it starts as a standard mra screed but then at the end warns that the existence of trans people will cause an apocalypse.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

the phrase "getting offended instead of reacting rationally" is pretty good as red flags go

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I know what your life is missing - an asset flipped Dead By Daylight clone where you play as Kermit.

And are hunted by this guy.

It's played 100% straight aside from the Kermit model because actually trying to be satirical in any way would require more effort, of course.

Don't buy it even as a joke though as the reviews claim it uses 100% of your GPU, so there's a decent chance it's just a bitcoin miner.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 24, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't have the time or energy to upload screencaps, but the text in the trailer (so to speak) of hidden and unknown is also incredibly stupid and worth laughing at

Story
Mystery
Prediction
Future
Unpredictable

CONFUSION GUARANTEED

and then a oh-no-we're-dangerous-thinkers-that-are-being-targeted-for-our-dangerous-thoughts glitch screen, like, god, how the gently caress does this guy think any of this grift will actually work

also based on the other screenshots, the story is about a high schooler who doesn't like football and may or may not enter the tech industry

loving gripping, intense fiction right there

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Clarste posted:

I mean, it's not wrong, you will learn a lot about yourself if you pay thousands of dollars for a trash game simply out of curiosity. It's also true that the contents of the nonsense inside don't matter even slightly.

A 99% discount puts it around 20 bucks so I wonder if the price was an attempt to game steams recommendations algorithm.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I saw this article on PC Gamer the other day, and can't believe it has been mentioned yet.

At the time of the article being published, O2Jam Online was the worst rated game ever on Steam, at 4% (it's now at around 9%)

So what makes this rhythm game bad? (snippets taken from the article)
  • The game's currently free-to-play, but forces players to buy songs that they can only keep for either seven days or 30 days. There's no option to permanently unlock a track, with every aspect of the game—including note skins—only being offered to you for a week or a month.
  • It appears to have lifted a large chunk of its UI from the mobile version. The resolution goes no higher than 1920x1080, looking painfully blurry on 1440p monitors. Everything is stretched out and notes are comically large, making the whole thing pretty difficult to look at. We won't even talk about the fact that BPM is misspelt as BMP.
  • There have also been issues with track audio desyncing, making songs incredibly annoying to play.
  • (Key bindings) I could bind them, but then trying to use them would result in an automatic miss.
  • O2Jam Online has, in fact, no online functionality to be seen.
If that wasn't enough, how about this little nugget:
https://twitter.com/TaroNuke/status/1616318956762980354

or this one:
https://twitter.com/TaroNuke/status/1616359247381504000

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bessantj posted:

Alright sounds interesting, let's look at the pri...

:stonk:

Wait, you're allowed to charge arbitrarily high for steam jank?

I think less of every awful game developer after learning this. They need to step up their game.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pretty much everything is allowed on Steam these days.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Schwarzwald posted:

Wait, you're allowed to charge arbitrarily high for steam jank?

I think less of every awful game developer after learning this. They need to step up their game.

Hey let me tell you the story of Snow Light.

Notice that part in there where the game spikes to $100 bucks for most of a year? This is because this very poorly-coded visual novel in a 3D engine was made by a dev who got really butthurt by... memory says it was bundle sellers at the time? and decided they were going to charge what the game was WORTH damnit.

Somehow I got a key to this and I'm just gonna let 2015-me summarize the game in brief:

quote:

It is impossible to state how poor this game is, and that's not counting the excellent "translation". (Maybe it reads better in French or one of the other languages, but I somehow doubt the story is saner.)

- As a visual novel, the game is a debacle. The story is an atrocious mess of jargon which is apparently a side-story to the creator's epic "Dragon and Weed" (This is not a joke, it explains this in a heavily abridged form in a submenu you can find) saga that you can bet your arse I'm never going to look up. There are maybe 4 "branch points" in the game. They do nothing. Save and click either option! Nothing changes at all. As a result, you're just here to watch whatever strange superpowered wankfest this is play out over a few hours, with the occasional break in the form of...
- Quick-Time Events. No, seriously. Keep your hand on the keyboard and make sure you're familiar with french keyboard layouts, because that's what the keys are bound around. Earlier in the game there are more of these and then they just stop, like even the developer realized how dumb they were and didn't care enough to remove them. At least one failed to register for me until I restarted the game, so don't go in expecting them to be tightly-coded, either.
- The game says it runs in some sort of custom 3D engine! Probably to allow for the QTEs. It's not very good and somehow it crashed twice on me in the process of playing. A visual novel with no branch points crashed on me. Just take in how much of a wreck it is that this is a thing I'm writing. It wasn't a hard thing to test, fella.
- I don't speak the other languages to compare, but the English script is a debacle. Characters will repeat the same line back at each other randomly, some phrases are just entirely garbage (my favorite line in the game: "It's seems that Menkens hathwart someone he shouldn't. Men of the Bad Santass are here and not to joke..."), and more than a few lines just stopped a word in and continued on like the script wasn't matching up with timing somehow. Others were just still in French for no reason. Unlike a lot of VNs, there's no rewind function, so I hope you like being left in the dark or restarting entire chapters to figure out what the hell is going on. It's not going to help.
- The art is terrible. Action scenes don't feel kinetic, they feel like someone on Deviantart just learned Photoshop has filters. One of the climactic moments of the story has a man take off his shirt and then suddenly the screen is a mess of glowing red chains, because "he used to tame the tigers". It then cuts to black and suddenly he's beat up a little.
- I hope you don't want a soundtrack, because the only accompaniment the game has are some three-note "baby's first music" compositions, a lot of generic stock sound effects like gunfire or explosions, and most of the game is silent. Entirely silent.
- I guess the obscene price on here is part of some kind of weird scam by the creator to get you to buy it from him elsewhere directly rather than give Steam a cut. (I got a review key.) It's not worth buying, so take neither route. This thing is a trainwreck, and in that sad "400 passengers dead" style rather than the "oh man it's so bad it's good" fashion.

Also some screenshots. These are all legit unedited.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Asian Pentagon

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've been there, the cafeteria sells those sesame balls with red bean paste, 3 for a buck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'll be damned, they did actually try putting out more games in this series, they seem to have yanked all but Snow Light. I can't imagine why.

edit: lmao

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 25, 2023