Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Zereth posted:

When's the last time you cleaned the dust out of your computer?

Hmm that's a good question I should probably check that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Hmm that's a good question I should probably check that...

In my experience graphical glitches like that tend to be indicative of something going wrong with your gpu; clown vomit style graphical issues also are signs, albeit those tend to mean your gpu is dying. Last time I had stuff blowing up like that in an old game I should have had no issues with, it was indeed too much dust causing problems.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I've had no problems playing other games like Elden Ring. I just chalked it up to NFS Unbound being a relatively new game. Still gave things a dust-out, hopefully my graphics card isn't dying...

Edit: did some more reading, apparently the issue is with the game, heaps of other people are having the same issue, appears to be a VRAM leak of some kind.

Pile Of Garbage has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Jan 19, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Stare-Out posted:

My favorite/least favorite Hitman bug that's persistent is targets or NPCs literally walking off the map.

In Hitman 2's S'gail level you can make The Constant flee the map by hitting him with a tranquilizer dart and then letting him be found. If you go enter the level in Contracts mode, mark him as a target and then would make him flee it would crash the game once he has left the map. No idea what happens in Hitman 3.

In Hitman 2 in Sapienza sometimes (1/10?) you'd also have a NPC who would walk too far on the docks and end up falling in the water. Less than a minute into the mission you'd suddenly get a non-target kill when it happened. Luckily for marathon speedrunners that was fixed for Hitman 3.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jawnycat posted:

In my experience graphical glitches like that tend to be indicative of something going wrong with your gpu; clown vomit style graphical issues also are signs, albeit those tend to mean your gpu is dying. Last time I had stuff blowing up like that in an old game I should have had no issues with, it was indeed too much dust causing problems.
I can run games fine on what is ostensibly a gaming laptop, thought it's hardly high-spec...but I get graphical artifacts on almost every page of the forum--little hairs, like these:

It's not much, but it's something new that doesn't belong there. Reckon a good dusting would help?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hirayuki posted:

I can run games fine on what is ostensibly a gaming laptop, thought it's hardly high-spec...but I get graphical artifacts on almost every page of the forum--little hairs, like these:

It's not much, but it's something new that doesn't belong there. Reckon a good dusting would help?

I'm pretty sure everyone gets that in dark mode SA.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sininu posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone gets that in dark mode SA.

No, not everybody gets that. I don't.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Hirayuki posted:

if you've ever ran a 2d benchmark on a modern GPU, you'll find they're absolutely dogshit at rendering basic things nowadays and are almost exclusively meant for high end rendering.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Computers can get Morgellons now?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Computers can get Morgellons now?
My first thought exactly! :tinfoil:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you dove deep enough on the message boards you'd know that computers had it first and spread it to us

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJxNmJ_ixng

I found this on my computer and didn't remember recording it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's 7 o'clock right? I've always been terrible at using analog clocks

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This may be :thejoke: but is reminding me of a speedrunning trick in Super Metroid. There's a regular movement technique called the Shinespark, which lets you fly very fast in a straight line until you hit a wall. But you only have limited time after charging the shinespark before you lose the charge, which limits where you can perform it. There's a room where a properly-placed shinespark can save a lot of time, but it's very hard to get. For awhile, speedrunners were only able to spark across half the room, so they called the trick the "Halfie". Eventually someone figured out how to spark across the entire room...so now that version of the trick is the "Full Halfie".

That is still my fav trick name

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have to move fast, and speedboost too slow

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NoThatsTooLow/status/1616842917586378752

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
okay thats cool

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
https://twitter.com/KiroUsako/status/1616728139945615360?s=20&t=BxiMZvxRhD2SAKt1sp1gSQ

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Classic bread buffer producer–consumer problem

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p_eyYmOHB8

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/jbzingo/status/1617664277170778112

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

It’s even the optimal speedrun strat

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Look at that! It's a Rat Hat speed start!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
My phone keeps eating my posts! I am speedrunning!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
I've been working out!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not sure how I managed to double post in 2023

By the way I’ve since learned that it is not in fact the optimal speedrun strat anymore, RIP

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There is a Chaos mod for GTA V that triggers one of the hundreds of "random" effects every 30 seconds. Or you can set it up with Twitch so your chat can vote out of a couple of options every 30 seconds (terrible idea, so you know people love it).

One of the random effects is inspired by the above and teleports you to a blimp just before it crashes into that building. It won't start the mission, so it's a fancy teleport.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:53 on Jan 25, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey I know I'm like a decade late in asking this question, but is GTAV and Grand Theft Auto Online two different things? Or are they the same?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

credburn posted:

Hey I know I'm like a decade late in asking this question, but is GTAV and Grand Theft Auto Online two different things? Or are they the same?

They were the same, you bought gta5 and GTA:O was the multiplayer component. I think a few years ago they released the online part standalone for free.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

RatHat posted:

Not sure how I managed to double post in 2023

By the way I’ve since learned that it is not in fact the optimal speedrun strat anymore, RIP

Screw optimal, it is still the correct way to start it. :colbert:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

credburn posted:

I just googled are gta online and gta v the aame and it said:

Quora posted:

It has the same map and gameplay as GTA V, but it isn't quite the same game. The story is entirely different, out of the three characters from the offline mode only Trevor appears (and he isn't playable), there are a wide variety of missions to play, heists and heist setups to c...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

dirby posted:

I just googled are gta online and gta v the aame and it said:

You could have just said you didn't know, you didn't need to tell all of us you had to google it :cheers:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Plotwise, the base heists of GTA Online are a prequel to the events of GTA V, as you see Lester still working in the crime business. But some of the later content happens paralel or even after the base game, so it's kind of a mess.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

They are also selling RDR2 Online as a separate cheaper game for unhinged weirdos who don't want to play the single player story.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

credburn posted:

GTA:O was the online component of GTAV until they split it off when they realized it was printing them money. It uses the same map but has different stories, missions, interactibles, etc and is generally set up as a "prequel" to the GTA5 main story.

GTA5 has been in the top sales list on Steam pretty much uninterrupted since release, and its because of people buying copies of the game to get the GTA:O money bundle that comes with it - which is cheaper than buying a Shark Card for the equivalent amount through the ingame shop.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/p19Dc5O.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/6lYebW0.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/zSDXAQa.mp4

moist turtleneck has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Couldn't figure out what the glitch was in this clip of a game working exactly as intended. Then I saw the lamp.