Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Some cross posting:

This is just making me imagine Klingons with Boston accents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There are no klingons on Dune.

Because of the stillsuit buttplugs

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Two built in caths is just beyond fremen technology

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Crossposted from what exactly?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Colonel Cancer posted:

Two built in caths is just beyond fremen technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFEio0OCWek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2soNIkzS0m4

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i almost wrote this off because nyt sucks, glad i didn't, it's pretty interesting. written by the director of the doc Jodowarsky's Dune

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/01/13/opinion/jodorowsky-dune-ai-tron.html

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

is anybody willing to post the text of that article

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Riot Bimbo posted:

is anybody willing to post the text of that article

https://web.archive.org/web/20230117123130/https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/01/13/opinion/jodorowsky-dune-ai-tron.html

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

can't wait to see "jodorowsky's tron as an 80s medieval fantasy" pop up in my YouTube feed

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

loving sick

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Giant loving spaceballs helmet with neon lights was better

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

loving sick

bitch crosseyed on spice juice

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i almost wrote this off because nyt sucks, glad i didn't, it's pretty interesting. written by the director of the doc Jodowarsky's Dune

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/01/13/opinion/jodorowsky-dune-ai-tron.html

:ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop:

Thank you very much for this, this poo poo is lit

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Those are cool images I guess

I am tired of hearing about Jodowarsky's Dune though.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

kiimo posted:

Those are cool images I guess

I am tired of hearing about Jodowarsky's Dune though.

Same. It almost certainly would have been a terrible movie and being abandoned in the concept art and napkin ideas phase is probably the best thing that could have happened to the project because it allows people to imagine their own weird trippy interpretation of what could have been instead of being embittered by the trash result.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Article is more about AI and how it draws from decades/centuries of actual work.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
So that's where the god-emperor's dick went

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

does anyone else bleed after pulling their poo poo reclaimer out

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

in this sietch we don't waste water like that

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Really, the humans are by far the most wasteful element of any desert community. The ideal sietch is five sealed water barrels in a cave

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Riot Bimbo posted:

does anyone else bleed after pulling their poo poo reclaimer out

Do you coat your reclaimer in elacca? I used to have the same problem until I stopped doing that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ya! ya! yawn!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

ChatGPT posted:

In Frank Herbert's "Dune" series, Paul Atreides, also known as Muad'Dib, leads a jihad (holy war) against the corrupt Padishah Emperor and the noble houses of the Landsraad. The question of whether or not Paul's jihad was inevitable or could have been prevented is a matter of interpretation.

Some argue that the jihad was inevitable due to the political and religious forces at play in the Dune universe. From the moment Paul and his family were exiled to Arrakis, they were caught up in a complex web of power struggles, betrayals, and religious fervor. It could be argued that Paul's destiny was always to become the leader of the Fremen and to overthrow the Emperor.

Others argue that Paul had the potential to prevent the jihad from happening. Throughout the series, Paul struggles with his own power and the consequences of his actions. He is torn between his love for his family and his duty to the Fremen. Additionally, it could be argued that Paul's decision to reveal the secret of spice production to the Fremen, which ultimately led to the jihad, was a choice that he could have chosen not to make.

In the end, the question of whether or not Paul's jihad was inevitable or could have been prevented is open to interpretation, and different readers may have different perspectives on the matter.

ChatGPT posted:

Brian Herbert's Dune books are considered to be a continuation of Frank Herbert's original Dune series, but their canonicity is a matter of debate among Dune fans.

Brian Herbert wrote several books set in the Dune universe, starting with "Dune: House Atreides" in 1999, which is a prequel to Frank Herbert's original "Dune" novel. He also wrote "Dune: House Harkonnen," "Dune: House Corrino," and "Hunters of Dune" and "Sandworms of Dune" which are sequels to Frank Herbert's last Dune novel "Chapterhouse: Dune". These books were written with the cooperation of the Herbert estate and with access to Frank Herbert's notes and outlines for his planned Dune novels.

Some fans of the series appreciate Brian Herbert's books for expanding on the Dune universe and providing more background on characters and events that were only briefly mentioned in Frank Herbert's novels. However, other fans argue that the books are not as good as Frank Herbert's original novels and don't capture the same sense of philosophy, politics, and ecological concerns.

In any case, it's important to note that while Brian Herbert's books are based on Frank Herbert's original universe, they are not written by Frank Herbert himself, and opinions on their canonicity will vary among fans.

Pretty good.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 22, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human post history

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Where's the Butlerian Jihad when you need it?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

this thread will exterminate the AI chatbots

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
A lot of similarities between Lowtax and the God Emperor now that I think about it :hmmyes:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Eason the Fifth posted:

A lot of similarities between Lowtax and the God Emperor now that I think about it :hmmyes:

Leto spending enough Spice to buy a planet to have bulk orders of Squoods shipped from Tleilax.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Eason the Fifth posted:

Flourishes in stagnation?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
:ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop:

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Where's my Muppets Dune

Miss Piggy as the Baron

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

kiimo posted:

Where's my Muppets Dune

Miss Piggy as the Baron