Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

FlavoFibe posted:

I didn't know how much I needed Thordak having Shin Godzilla atomic breath.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
I will always be a mark for fire breath being turned up to 11 and becoming a laser.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Speaking of, I love the design of each of the dragons and the emphasis on how scary their powers are. Umbrasyl especially. The animation is a huge step up from season 1.

My buddies are big fans of the cartoon but haven't seen the CR streams, so seeing their reaction to episode 3 was a fun time. Seeing all of those flashbacks and knowing what was coming was absolutely killing me.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Legend of Vox Machina - Whoa! Good thing these titties were here!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Just finished watching the first three episodes and I liked them! I do have some minor gripes though.

Pros:

- Kash and Zahra are great and I like their slightly more antagonistic roles. I don't know if that's a popular opinion but Kash was always an rear end in a top hat and Zahra teeters on the edge of it sometimes so it fits. I don't mind them blending Zahra and Vanessa into one person either (Vanessa Cyndrial was the original leader of the Slayer's Take and was also a tiefling) because it makes sense as a way to condense the story and it's not like Vanessa was ever actually important.
- I loving see you in Whitestone, you little shithead
- I appreciate that they're setting up Scanlan's division and frustration with the rest of the group clearly, even if he is going along with things for now.
- The Sphinx reading them all for filth was great
- Lance Reddick is a KILLER Thordak
- Speaking of Thordak, the loving Kaiju-rear end laser beam breath, holy poo poo
- VIKTOR

Cons:

- I still kinda don't like the CGI dragons??? I get that it's useful for animating more dynamic shots with them, but they just stick out so weirdly.
- Did not like Vax seeing visions of the Raven Queen ahead of time. It just felt extremely unnecessary. I get that they're going for a 'it's his destiny' thing but you really don't need to show your hand that much to convey it.
- They uh, really didn't save many people from Emon. Maybe they'll go back later and find a resistance or something, but one of the things I really liked from the stream was that Jarrett was one of the people they got out and because Whitestone's remaining militia at that point didn't have any real military experience, Jarrett ended up becoming Captain of the Pale Guard and staying in Whitestone permanently.
- I get why they had the conversation prior to the Sunken Tomb be between the twins so they could more reasonably have the flashbacks explaining a bit more of their backstory, but losing the conversation that Vax canonically had with Percy prior to the Tomb is gutwrenching. That conversation was so loving important and only moreso when, just a few short hours later, Percy gets Vax's sister killed by accident.

All in all, it was good and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. I get that change is inevitable when you're trying to translate a real-play stream that was literally 400 hours long into a cartoon that absolutely does not have that kind of time. I think they're doing the best they can and I do like it, there's just always going to be some things that get lost in translation.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I did a quick rewatch of Season 1, and then the first three episodes of Season 2.

As far as creative liberties with the adaptation, I think Season 1 took a lot more liberties than what Season 2 has done so far. Season 2 feels much closer to the actual stream episodes. Of course there are differences, because of the adaptation which cut out the first 20-ish episodes of the stream.

I do kinda agree that (S2E3) Young Vax breaking down and crying felt a little too much, although even Campaign Vax was a little clingy.

What I am wondering about, though is what they're going to do with Scanlan's character. In the stream, there was a brief moment between the Whitestone and Chroma Conclave arcs where Scanlan (Campaign 1 Stream, Episodes 37-39) discovered he had a daughter from one of his many dalliances, and that was used as a Need To Change which fueled Scanlan changing as a character. Even after Season 1's finale, I was a little concerned that they seemed to be jumping right into the second arc without that part, because I had a hard time picturing a way to insert that element without it feeling like a contrived coincidence and/or really rushed.

(Season 2, E1/E2) Sure enough, Scanlan in S2E1 had no motivation to fight dragons now. In S2E2, his piercing character insight from the Sphinx was "no one cares about you." Which is fine, but that on its own does not feel like a sufficient Need To Change, so I'm wondering where they're going to go with him.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

CuwiKhons posted:

- I loving see you in Whitestone, you little shithead

I'm watching with my mom and stepdad and I had to physically restrain myself from loudly heckling what they assumed to be a random child.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CuwiKhons posted:

Cons:

- I still kinda don't like the CGI dragons??? I get that it's useful for animating more dynamic shots with them, but they just stick out so weirdly.

felt same including Sphinx. Not necessarily a "CGI = Bad" either there's ways to make them aesthetically consistent

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

What I am wondering about, though is what they're going to do with Scanlan's character. In the stream, there was a brief moment between the Whitestone and Chroma Conclave arcs where Scanlan (Campaign 1 Stream, Episodes 37-39) discovered he had a daughter from one of his many dalliances, and that was used as a Need To Change which fueled Scanlan changing as a character. Even after Season 1's finale, I was a little concerned that they seemed to be jumping right into the second arc without that part, because I had a hard time picturing a way to insert that element without it feeling like a contrived coincidence and/or really rushed.

(Season 2, E1/E2) Sure enough, Scanlan in S2E1 had no motivation to fight dragons now. In S2E2, his piercing character insight from the Sphinx was "no one cares about you." Which is fine, but that on its own does not feel like a sufficient Need To Change, so I'm wondering where they're going to go with him.

I'm assuming that they'll run into Kaylie and the traveling musicians when they go to Westruun. They have plenty of time to introduce her as a character. They were already sowing some seeds in season 1 that Scanlan feels unappreciated by the group

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Minor thing, but is Ashley Johnson giving Pike a pronounced Minnesota/Wisconsin accent this season? I think she always kinda leaned a little that way as Pike, but it feels much more noticeable in these eps?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

After episode three I rewatched The Sunken Tomb and they all make Reflex saves and it's all fun when Laura rolled a 1! Sam jokes about instant death!
Then it was less fun.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dawgstar posted:

After episode three I rewatched The Sunken Tomb and they all make Reflex saves and it's all fun when Laura rolled a 1! Sam jokes about instant death!
Then it was less fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AuHfXwTY1M

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I guess the Legend of Vox Machina is doing very well because it sounds like they're going to be making two series semi-concurrently. For those unfamiliar, this is the 2nd campaign in the same world with all different characters:

https://twitter.com/FANologyPV/status/1618322894525992960

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AngryBooch posted:

I guess the Legend of Vox Machina is doing very well because it sounds like they're going to be making two series semi-concurrently. For those unfamiliar, this is the 2nd campaign in the same world with all different characters:

https://twitter.com/FANologyPV/status/1618322894525992960

That's a surprise, you'd think they'd just do, like, more episodes of VM per season and stretch it out that way.

ampaign 2 is weird for me. I've watched about a third of it I think? Some of the character work is great but the overarching plot feels less coherent than either C1 or what we have so far of c3.

I think my biggest issue with actually watching live critical role is that every time they bust out some absurdly detailed mini I go "oh GODDAMMIT" and close my browser out of jealousy

I could probably *live* in that airship "mini" they keep busting out

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think my biggest issue with actually watching live critical role is that every time they bust out some absurdly detailed mini I go "oh GODDAMMIT" and close my browser out of jealousy

I could probably *live* in that airship "mini" they keep busting out

I'm assuming you didn't watch the stream of Matt just literally moving boxes and boxes of minis into a new room for three hours a day or two ago.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Campaign 2 is weird for me. I've watched about a third of it I think? Some of the character work is great but the overarching plot feels less coherent than either C1 or what we have so far of c3.

I dunno, I feel like the overall story is more disjointed, but each character gets kind of their own mini-arc, all of which feel mostly tight and satisfying. And when (spoilers for the ending) the overall plot does all come together, it feels really satisfying, what with tying up Mollymauk's story and all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Loezi posted:

I'm assuming you didn't watch the stream of Matt just literally moving boxes and boxes of minis into a new room for three hours a day or two ago.

Heist movie where the plot is just raiding the Critical Role miniatures vault

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Thinking about it, they could probably improve on tying the overarching plot together when they adapt it into a show. That aside, this news is crazy! I hope they don't burn themselves out but also campaign 2 has my favorite characters, so I'm looking forward to it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

ampaign 2 is weird for me. I've watched about a third of it I think? Some of the character work is great but the overarching plot feels less coherent than either C1 or what we have so far of c3.
Yeah, where the challenge of C1/Legend was how to fit all the memorable moments from great stories into such a short format, C2 (which I prefer to C1 in some ways) will be an adaptation challenge of how to transform memorable moments into a great story. The bones are there, and I think they end up acheiving it by leaning more heavily into the tomb takers, telling both stories alongside each other leading to the climactic race.

From Variety:

quote:

Amazon has made a mighty embrace of the Critical Role cinematic universe.

Amazon Studios announced a multiyear exclusive overall TV and first-look film deal with Critical Role, the media company and D&D role-playing group behind Prime Video’s popular adult animation series “The Legend of Vox Machina.”

The first new series to be produced under the agreement is “Mighty Nein,” based on Critical Role’s second campaign, which ran from January 2018 to mid-2021. The Mighty Nein adventuring party — a band of criminals and misfits — are the only ones who can prevent the kingdom from plunging into chaos when an arcane artifact capable of reshaping reality falls into the wrong hands. “Mighty Nein” is set to begin production shortly in partnership with animation studio Titmouse, which has teamed with Critical Role and Amazon Studios for “Vox Machina.” The series will premiere exclusively on Prime Video, but there’s no release date as yet.

ETA: Very curious to see how they handle Beau. I'd be surprised if Marisha voices her without some obvious changes.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 25, 2023

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
if anything they could fix Yasha dipping out of the plot for large stretches of time while Ashley is filming for Blindspot

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They should do the Critmas one shot as a standalone before they bring in C3 content.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It feels weird liking an animated show on a streaming service and not dreading it's inevitable cancellation after one season.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
All I want is to see at one point them animate Bunions and Flagons for a single episode.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I didn't really enjoy Campaign 2 that much if I'm being honest so I'm glad it sounds like they're going to see LoVM through to the end even if they start working on the M9 stuff too.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
What is Campaign 3 like? I watched the first few episodes but I just don't have time to keep up with it anymore.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I also don't have time to watch it but I watched the first 20ish episodes? It's interesting. It has more direct connections to Campaign 1 in a natural way and the characters are weirder in mostly fun ways. Ashley is back full time and I hate to say it but I wish she wasn't because I absolutely hate her character, Fearne, but it's clear she's leaning into causing as much chaos as possible precisely because of how much of the previous two campaigns she missed.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

victorious posted:

What is Campaign 3 like? I watched the first few episodes but I just don't have time to keep up with it anymore.

It's a lot closer to the magic of C1. I'd say it's basically what C1 would have been if they started from session 0 knowing they'd be a major live stream event that has the option to get turned into an animated series.

That said, I'm also behind because having kids really sucks up all the time you would have had to watch a 4 hour stream.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

victorious posted:

Overall it feels like the plotting is the best so far, the characters are a little weaker than c2, and the production values are so high it's downright offensive

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Dameius posted:

That said, I'm also behind because having kids really sucks up all the time you would have had to watch a 4 hour stream.

Pretty much same. I used to come home on a Friday afternoon just as the stream was starting (timezone doing me a favour for once) and pretty much watch the whole thing live, nowadays I don't have a hope of doing that and am way out of touch with it even if I did. Which is why I'm appreciating the animated series!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

victorious posted:

What is Campaign 3 like?

Horny

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Chetney puts on an act and Fearne plays along. I haven't seen the last half dozen episodes or so; but, no one else seems to be doing much with that.

Orim's naked swordplay at the bathhouse is perhaps a thing.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

rocketrobot posted:

Chetney puts on an act and Fearne plays along. I haven't seen the last half dozen episodes or so; but, no one else seems to be doing much with that.

Orim's naked swordplay at the bathhouse is perhaps a thing.

The last half dozen episodes are hornier than anything you can imagine

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Fauxshiz posted:

The last half dozen episodes are hornier than anything you can imagine

Travis becoming The Big Horny of the campaign threw me for a loop. I think he discovered his inner chaos gremlin and is just running with it. The entire basement sequence he set off was...not something I expected from him.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Lucas Archer posted:

All I want is to see at one point them animate Bunions and Flagons for a single episode.

And do the "in game" parts live action.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Agaragon posted:

I'm watching with my mom and stepdad and I had to physically restrain myself from loudly heckling what they assumed to be a random child.

What is this referring to, may I ask? I've seen CR season 1 up through most of Chroma Conclave, but I'm not sure what I missed here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

YorexTheMad posted:

What is this referring to, may I ask? I've seen CR season 1 up through most of Chroma Conclave, but I'm not sure what I missed here.

The young gnome that glares at... Grog and Pike, I think, is pretty likely supposed to be Scanlan's daughter.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
edit: VVVV yeah you're right.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 26, 2023

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I think they were just trying to avoid posting that potentially MASSIVE spoiler in this thread to avoid people who've never seen C1 accidentally reading it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

That's a surprise, you'd think they'd just do, like, more episodes of VM per season and stretch it out that way.

Probably so they can have one team animating Campaign 1 and the other Campaign 2 and air them alternating years. Amazon animation seems to take a long time since they're probably unwilling to pay the overtime to get it out on a yearly basis.

Invincible is going to be over two years between seasons and S2 is only supposed to be three episodes long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Gaz-L posted:

[spoiler] Spoiler snipped

Ok, yeah, got it. Feel free to delete the spoiler, sorry!