Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I didn't get the outrage at the time. Wind Waker looks like an updated version of A Link to the Past, and it's one of my favorite games ever.

There's probably a whole generation of kids whose first and "best" Zelda was Ocarina of Time and they probably wanted a darker and grittier and more "mature" Zelda game. Those kids are dumb and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The dark Zelda is Majora's Mask

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I have not played a Zelda game since A Link to the past. I hear they're okay.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think the VERY first Zelda on gamecube trailer was a "realistic" super polished Zelda game and then a year (or two?) later they revealed the Toon Zelda and it rankled some people who wanted a dark zelda game.

It didn't just rankle, it drove the dork hordes into a loving fury. People HATED it, immediately, on these very forums! It was really wierd.

Jokes on them, twenty years later WW is beloved and rightly so. It's a fun one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And then people got their darker Zelda in Twilight Princess. Which is good, but not WW good.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tall Tale Teller posted:

It didn't just rankle, it drove the dork hordes into a loving fury. People HATED it, immediately, on these very forums! It was really wierd.

Jokes on them, twenty years later WW is beloved and rightly so. It's a fun one.

IIRC same set of trailers that had MEtroid as an FPS and Mario with his watergun. People were mad. Sunshine, is a bit of a black sheep, but overall, they're three pretty good games

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While Wind Waker was far from being the perfect game (I'm still pissed about hunting for the triforce pieces and having to grind rupees to pay Tingle 8 times), I know a LOT of people who refused to even try it because it was "cartoony". Which is a shame, because it actually made good use of the cel shading, it had a good plot and the final fight against Gannondorf ended in the most :black101: way possible for a Nintendo game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Randalor posted:

While Wind Waker was far from being the perfect game (I'm still pissed about hunting for the triforce pieces and having to grind rupees to pay Tingle 8 times), I know a LOT of people who refused to even try it because it was "cartoony". Which is a shame, because it actually made good use of the cel shading, it had a good plot and the final fight against Gannondorf ended in the most :black101: way possible for a Nintendo game.

It did leave me rather stunned. I was like drat, Link.

Don't gently caress with this guy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Aramek posted:

I have not played a Zelda game since A Link to the past. I hear they're okay.
as someone who was in the same boat, Breath of the Wild is good, if you have a Switch you could do a lot worse (botw2 might also be good, I'm excited for it)

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Mr Interweb posted:

sopranos has some of the strangest editing i've seen for a professionally made, major network backed series. like, there's a ton of scenes that seem to go on for no more than a couple minutes at a time, then cut away at what seems like a very odd or even abrupt point. as if it was like the show was constantly filled with moments where a fly kept getting into a shot or there was some kind of video/film corruption and needed to be cut out and salvage whatever they got. a lot of it genuinely felt amateur
Oh you mean like this transition? Still cracks me up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gKx8zhzVwk

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't remember. But what would be lost if that Columbus Day episode disappeared? The anti-Italian discrimination screenshot? I thought that was a universally derided episode.
It's stupidly heavy handed but it's also the episode where Paulie tells Johnny Sac about Ralph's 95-pound mole joke. A small thing that ultimately upends the entire landscape both in New York and their relationship with the Soprano family glorified crew for the remainder of the show

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I was pretty down on the WW look at first (didn't help that early screenshots were really rough) then I saw a feature in Nintendo Power about how the cartoony art style made it so that Link could emote in-game and look at points of interest by himself. That was pretty groundbreaking stuff at the time, and I was instantly onboard with it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ironically, I was on board with WW from the first trailer but never really got hooked into the final game. Though that was around the time my adhd kicked in and also WW was a bit clunky.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Randalor posted:

While Wind Waker was far from being the perfect game (I'm still pissed about hunting for the triforce pieces and having to grind rupees to pay Tingle 8 times), I know a LOT of people who refused to even try it because it was "cartoony".
Bunch of Wind Wankers if you ask me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I haven’t looked at it in 10 years but Perry Bible Fellowship was pretty funny

You'll be happy to know that in those ten years time, there's, like...5 new comics!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Ironically, I was on board with WW from the first trailer but never really got hooked into the final game. Though that was around the time my adhd kicked in and also WW was a bit clunky.

the triforce hunt breaks the flow of the game a lot.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

??? They made 27 episodes and then canceled it homie and never changed teams lol

Ah, I thought the first 20 episodes were two seasons. The last seven that made up the second season being a) noticeably stylistically different and b) a lot worse made me assume there were some changes in the team.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I didn't get the outrage at the time. Wind Waker looks like an updated version of A Link to the Past, and it's one of my favorite games ever.

There's probably a whole generation of kids whose first and "best" Zelda was Ocarina of Time and they probably wanted a darker and grittier and more "mature" Zelda game. Those kids are dumb and wrong.

There was a lot of angst among Nintendo fans at the time about Nintendo being "kiddy", so I think that one Spaceworld trailer had a lot of people hoping the new Zelda would help shake off that label. Then surprise, the new Zelda actually looks nothing like that trailer and the art style is in fact extremely "kiddy". It's ultimately pretty silly, and amounts to a bunch of twelve year olds getting mad about how they were perceived by a different bunch of twelve year olds, but I can see where they were coming from at least.

Wind Waker was good, and the visuals are pretty much anti-this thread, but I doubt I could play the original vs. the remake at this point, the amount of busywork is extreme.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nintendo make baby game

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

NorgLyle posted:

The Sopranos is a lot like Seinfeld in that the leads are all charismatic enough that it is easy to lose sight of the fact that they're all supposed to be the worst people alive. You root for them because they're the protagonists and the show is essentially all about their vision of the world and the way that the world works but they're terrible and once you remember that it is easier to understand why The Sopranos is insanely misogynistic.

I was really surprised once I sat down and watched the Sopranos a year or so ago. I thought it was going to be a straightforward masculinity worship TV show like The Shield or something, but it's a very dramatic and funny show about the most awful people doing awful things and the universe actually rolling back at them. Maybe it's a human giving it to them straight, maybe it's some random coincidence, maybe it's the keg of dynamite whose fuse was lit a season ago, or maybe it's a filthy subconscious spilling some sewage over its edge.

Same thing with Seinfeld, only in sitcom format, and it gets really surreal sometimes.

I didn't expect either to be as funny as they are, since I expected the show-world would just uncritically let them be lovable people we're supposed to like and admire, like the actual real world (or most of The Office) seems to do. But no, both shows seem to despise these characters as much as I do.

Great shows both.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Heres something that aged...weirdly. I've been replaying Earthbound and those faith-healers (idk what they are called) in the hospitals sure do look a lot different in the Covid era. At least the ones in Earthbound actually work. Also the stuff about Monotoli and the cops hits different as an adult.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

That's a lot of words to say you watched a prestige drama and were surprised to see that it ended up being a prestige drama

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Probably the first thing I tell people who haven't watched the Sopranos is that it is a borderline comedy. Prestige TV bloat has poisoned the well to the point that people think every critically acclaimed drama is some 100% dark and torturous Serious People Doing Serious Things when the reality is that its too many shows that do that trying to being big prestige and the really good ones are almost the opposite of that.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Pussyfish

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Randalor posted:

I remember Schlock Mercenary being pretty good for the most part and actually ended rather than burning out or going full chud, Kevin and Kell was wholesome and I'm pretty sure predated the furry fandom (though that started in the 90's, does that still count?), I THINK Order of the Stick started in the 00's... uh... hmm...

Kevin And Kell uhhh went places.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

credburn posted:

Oh I remember the reaction to that on these forums. I didn't even care about Zelda at the time but I think I also felt like (((betrayal)))!

I think I was 16 though

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda :shrug:

I was a few years older, but that was my initial reaction as well. The gamecube was brand-new, we finally had the tech to do a decent looking realistic-rendered LoZ, and that's what they promised with that first trailer. Then Celda showed up and a lot of people got mad. For me it felt like bait-and-switch. Then the game came out, I played it, and I understood why it was getting such great reviews. Went from a big disappointment to a complete non-issue in my mind within minutes of starting to actually play it.

e: Shigeru Miyamoto saying that he'd wanted to make a game that looked like the art on the manuals since the very first LoZ went a long way towards defusing the nerd rage as well, IIRC.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

About once every five years someone does something that reminds me that site still exists and I just laugh all over again.

Also, yes to story time. It never gets old.

I started reading Megatokyo back in high school when I was in my full on cringe-assed weeb phase, and at this point I keep checking in on it out of a sense of sunk cost fallacy. It only seems to update once every other month at this point.

I will admit I still have and like the 16-oz coffee mug from their store that I bought ages ago.

But, more to the point, yes, I would also like storytime.
And I am currently lol'ing because I remembered how Largo got bought out of the comic and went off to do his own thing, which I'm assuming went nowhere, and the little mini-feud between Piro and the guy who does PvP.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
He appears to have run for political office as a Texas libertarian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Caston

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alaois posted:

in my mind the MiB cartoon is just the OP and nothing else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVAePIyC4kQ

This intro and the Tim Curry guest spot are the only things that holds up without qualifiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvMtY7JEO18

Not the worst thing ever, but like... you can't judge old cartoons on themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdtcK1Qs2K4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPEq-ezAufQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLKYOSiW7U4

You'd think these shows might be goofy fun, or at least memorably terrible, but they're not. They never are.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Mad Men is also a surprisingly funny show about assholes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Very long setup for the Jaguar joke, punchline was worth it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

the_steve posted:

I started reading Megatokyo back in high school when I was in my full on cringe-assed weeb phase, and at this point I keep checking in on it out of a sense of sunk cost fallacy. It only seems to update once every other month at this point.

I will admit I still have and like the 16-oz coffee mug from their store that I bought ages ago.

But, more to the point, yes, I would also like storytime.
And I am currently lol'ing because I remembered how Largo got bought out of the comic and went off to do his own thing, which I'm assuming went nowhere, and the little mini-feud between Piro and the guy who does PvP.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

About once every five years someone does something that reminds me that site still exists and I just laugh all over again.

Also, yes to story time. It never gets old.

Let's talk about the Megatokyo kickstarter then!

First, a brief catchup for anyone that doesn't know what Megatokyo is:

Megatokyo is a webcomic that began in 2000, co-created by Fred Gallagher and Rodney Caston. Rodney left the comic early on, like within the first couple years, so he's not important nor relevant to the story. Fred though...hoo-boy, just wait.

It's a comic about two American nerds/otaku named Piro (Fred's stand-in) and Largo (Rodney's stand-in) who find themselves stranded in Japan after having to escape the US, after they caused a fuss at E3. It was a super popular comic for a long time! Popular enough that just about every other notable or major webcomic creator of the 2000s had some kind of shout-out towards it or praise for it! It was a big enough deal that the comic ended up getting a publishing deal with Dark Horse, and later on DC comics. But there was one small problem...

Fred is lazy as gently caress.

Some days he just didn't feel like doing the comic. He would do things called Dead Piro Days when this happened where he would just post sketches of art he was working on or drawings of the girls in the comic. Sometimes he blamed creative burn-out, some days he blamed depression. Some days he said he just didn't feel like doing the comic. Y'know what? That's fine. That's okay. I get being depressed and I get creative burn-out. Except...he quit his job to work on the comic. The comic became his job, and more often than not he just skipped the days the comic was supposed to go up. He even skipped out on updating the different sections of the website. For the better part of a decade, the 'characters' and 'story' pages on the website simply said 'I'll finish this when I feel like it'. Kind of a problem when your comic has like a hundred characters and an increasingly complex storyline!

Even now, the main banner on the website reads something like '2000-2010 = ten years! win!' to celebrate the ten year anniversary of the comic. Oops.

Eventually, everyone figured out that Fred was never going to achieve any kind of regular update schedule. Everyone realized that the comic would get one or two, maybe three updates to the comic a month, if that.

This brings us to 2013, and the Megatokyo Kickstarter.

Somehow, Fred had the bright idea to create a Megatokyo visual novel, and decided to use Kickstarter to fund it. It was going to be based on the first couple chapters of the comic, so most of the early work was already done for him. Should have be a fairly easy thing to make. That being said, the fans he still had at that point should have been smart enough to realize that Fred would NEVER going to finish a project like this. The Kickstarter should have died on the vine because the fans should have been smarter than that.

But, well...

quote:

4,958 backers pledged $299,184 to help bring this project to life.

That's an average of sixty bucks per backer. You people should have been smarter than that. :negative:

As you've probably guessed by now, the visual novel never got finished. In fact, Fred has shown no progress or work from it at all, just a bare minimum of concept art on the game's website. The last update to the Kickstarter was in 2017. Fred stopped posting on the once-bustling forums a long, long time ago, and there's a single sad mod there whose job it is to tell people that the visual novel is still being worked on, Fred is going through a lot in his life, and it'll come eventually. At one point a ton of people were on the forums complaining about the visual novel's progress, but now most of them have given up and have stopped asking for updates or even refunds.

It's obvious at this point that it's not happening, and it should serve as a lesson on why you shouldn't back or support projects from creators that you know are lazy and have a bad habit of not finishing projects once they've started them.

A couple of fun notes to wrap this up:

-There was a total of SIX updates to the comic itself in 2022!

-Fred has a Patreon where 473 patrons give him almost two thousand dollars a month! The first subscriber goal on his Patreon?

quote:

I will replace one pencil and color illustration I am currently doing per month with one Megatokyo comic to produce a minimum of three Megatokyo comics per month

I hope those subscribers are happy with their donations.

-In double-checking some of my facts for this, I have learned there's an official Megatokyo Discord server, and I can't imagine that's anything but the most depressing place in the world.

-I've saved the best for last: There's a Megatokyo novel series, written by a man named Thomas Knapp. It's six books long (plus one additional short story), and the first book came out in 2014. In the time it took for this man to write six novels and a short story (plus two original novels in his own series), Fred has shown approximately zero progress on the visual novel. Kind of says it all, doesn't it?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Addendum to the bit about the Discord server:

That is far, far more people than I expected to be in it and while I'm not going to enter it myself (no touching the poop, after all), I am genuinely curious how there are that many people in there and how they haven't all became fed up with Fred and left.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

pentyne posted:

Probably the first thing I tell people who haven't watched the Sopranos is that it is a borderline comedy. Prestige TV bloat has poisoned the well to the point that people think every critically acclaimed drama is some 100% dark and torturous Serious People Doing Serious Things when the reality is that its too many shows that do that trying to being big prestige and the really good ones are almost the opposite of that.

I think it would be sad if someone thought prestige dramas had to be super serious, because some of the biggest laughs I've ever had watching a TV show come from Mad Men.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Breaking Bad and The Wire are also hilarious sometimes. Having some sort of levity is just standard drama writing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oddly enough both the prestige TV and Zelda on this very page kinda illustrate the problem not exclusive to any age group or even demographic about how things have to be Dark and Serious, and how people judge things by the trappings and arbitrary categories rather than actual content and substance.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

All this talk of Megatokyo and no mention that it has turned into a completely pro-republican, anti-trans comic that could be written by Scott Adams himself. Just the most heinous poo poo imaginable put to the page.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think the VERY first Zelda on gamecube trailer was a "realistic" super polished Zelda game and then a year (or two?) later they revealed the Toon Zelda and it rankled some people who wanted a dark zelda game.

I mean clearly Wind Waker was a huge downgrade from this, which has aged like fine wine and definitely doesn’t look like knockoff Reboot:

https://youtu.be/jqcyQOgmUYE

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oddly enough both the prestige TV and Zelda on this very page kinda illustrate the problem not exclusive to any age group or even demographic about how things have to be Dark and Serious, and how people judge things by the trappings and arbitrary categories rather than actual content and substance.

The wrapper and the highlight reel are largely all that matter for most audiences. Sucks but it's true.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think one of the issues with Wind Waker is that it didn't really look good in the low-quality screenshots/video of the era it was released.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Breaking Bad and The Wire are also hilarious sometimes. Having some sort of levity is just standard drama writing.

This is definitely an area where Boardwalk Empire botched it, just non stop unrelenting misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MokBa posted:

All this talk of Megatokyo and no mention that it has turned into a completely pro-republican, anti-trans comic that could be written by Scott Adams himself. Just the most heinous poo poo imaginable put to the page.

Right now it’s my turn to ask for details.

Considering that Fred’s avatar in the comics is quite frequently drawn as female in the ‘game worlds’, part of me is surprised to hear the comic is anti-trans now. What’s the story there?