Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Seeing it was a Madden game that won GotY for the first VGAs made a certain VG Cats comic make more sense.

So what webcomics from the 00s didn't age like milk immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This isn’t in answer to the question, but I was just shocked to discover that Sluggy Freelance is still around and posting daily.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I fondly remember Bobbins and hope it has aged well.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't remember. But what would be lost if that Columbus Day episode disappeared? The anti-Italian discrimination screenshot? I thought that was a universally derided episode.

its literally one of the best episodes of the show

people who watch the Sopranos and are like "I don't get the point of this scene, how is it advancing the Plot" are aliens to me lmao

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Alaois posted:

It even won an Emmy for one of the actors for "Best Supporting Actor". Most of the hate it got was because it didn't worship Columbus Day.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Fighting Trousers posted:

About 98% of Farscape.

Ben Browder hasn't aged well, but that's only because he was born too early to catch the super hero movie boom at his prime and he would've been the perfect Guy Gardner.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

people who watch the Sopranos and are like "I don't get the point of this scene, how is it advancing the Plot" are aliens to me lmao

There are good scenes that don't advance the plot and one painfully uninteresting episode that doesn't. Don't know what else to tell you.

It also somewhat fits the thread because it was written in response to the show being criticized over Italian stereotyping.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't remember. But what would be lost if that Columbus Day episode disappeared? The anti-Italian discrimination screenshot? I thought that was a universally derided episode.

Its a fun little detour and has Tony's famous Gary Cooper speech at the end which is like one of the most famous lines from the show

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Alaois posted:

in my mind the MiB cartoon is just the OP and nothing else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVAePIyC4kQ

Man that intro loving rules, though. Hell, the Godzilla one does too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkTQqUNLp64

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

grittyreboot posted:

I love the the first VGA gave the GOTY to Madden of all things.

yeah it was one of the many early signs that we were in for fun times with that show

quote:

That was the year Wind Waker came out

one thing i completely forgot and genuinely surprised me was that they somehow actually offered a mention to mario kart: DD of all things

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

I fondly remember Bobbins and hope it has aged well.

Ehhhhhhhh? It was always pretty milquetoast so there's not a lot to get ruined.

It did really undersell how skeevy Rich was, but John Allison made up for it when Rich briefly reappeared later on in Scary Go Round.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Alaois posted:

while the intro absolutely slaps, the show itself is genuinely well done from what i remember

Aces High posted:

I think it is fair to say they covered most of the plots we got in the sequel movies, yet managed to have better resolutions than said movies.

What I wonder is how the hell they got 4 seasons, but the Godzilla series only managed 2

tbf, it actually had a decent run (40 eps vs 53 for MIB).

also just occurred to me those film roman (?) cartoons were almost all entirely based on movie/famous people properties (M.I.B., Godzilla, Roughnecks, Extreme Ghostbusters, Jackie Chan Adventures, etc) and were all shockingly pretty drat good

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aces High posted:

I literally can't think of one. I think they all either went hard chud or disappeared up their own arses.

Or went full out-in-the-open creepy.

edit: Megatokyo, lol

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I literally can't think of one. I think they all either went hard chud or disappeared up their own arses.

Or went full out-in-the-open creepy.

edit: Megatokyo, lol

Megatokyo started up their own rear end.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

while the intro absolutely slaps, the show itself is genuinely well done from what i remember

also just occurred to me those film roman (?) cartoons were almost all entirely based on movie/famous people properties (M.I.B., Godzilla, Roughnecks, Extreme Ghostbusters, Jackie Chan Adventures, etc) and were all shockingly pretty drat good

They have some real Klasky Csupo energy to me, but they’re from a studio I had never heard of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Productions

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lmao Megatokyo.

Who wants to hear the Megatokyo Kickstarter story again?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Invader Zim aged like wine. Humans are nasty gross monsters who are largely terrible and capitalism sucks and we should laugh at how stupid it all is

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Aces High posted:

Seeing it was a Madden game that won GotY for the first VGAs made a certain VG Cats comic make more sense.

I haven’t looked at it in 10 years but Perry Bible Fellowship was pretty funny

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

grittyreboot posted:

I love the the first VGA gave the GOTY to Madden of all things. That was the year Wind Waker came out

Didn’t wind waker actually have a pretty bad fan reception when it first came out?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ziv Zulander posted:

Didn’t wind waker actually have a pretty bad fan reception when it first came out?

There was certainly some kind of negative reaction to a game that looked like that at that point in gaming history. "Bad fan reception" is probably underselling it

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Vandar posted:

Lmao Megatokyo.

I do! I don’t think I’ve heard it before.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ziv Zulander posted:

The very first video yes, people lost their mind over celda but it was a really bad representation of what the game eventually looked like.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Ziv Zulander posted:

I think they were more of a loud minority. Tho I met a guy only a few years ago who still won't play it out of principle

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

grittyreboot posted:

I think they were more of a loud minority. Tho I met a guy only a few years ago who still won't play it out of principle

no this was the beginning of a very dark time in video games history, hating on the baby game was the editorial position at all the big magazines and websites. same with reactions to tidus finalfantasy

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr Interweb posted:

The best show on Netflix you haven't seen yet.

Alaois posted:

I'm still tickled that they worked a dick size joke into the intro.

e. Which slaps, the show was pretty good too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They had Vincent D'Nofrio reprising his role - as every bug in the show. It was great, and he had a lot of great lines, like as one bug is being checked in for processing it's mentioned that his crime was eating a bus-load of passengers, and his response is just "To be fair, it's better than prison food." They just have so little empathy for other's it becomes kind of hilarious. Also when the other bugs start coming for revenge the series remembers who it actually was who killed Edgar - they don't care about Jay and Kay, they have a hit out on agent Elle.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Aces High posted:

Perry Bible fellowship or oglaf? I haven't read a webcomic for like a decade though

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Achewood is so charming I don't even mind the badly aged bits

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
All this talk about Columbus Day and no one posted the best scene, shameful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBD61skoMk8

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

no this was the beginning of a very dark time in video games history, hating on the baby game was the editorial position at all the big magazines and websites. same with reactions to tidus finalfantasy

eh..i don't think that was exactly the case. at least not as far as game press goes. the way i recall, the very first reveal trailer raised a ton of eyebrows to be sure. but as time went on and more and more media was released, people were gradually warming up to it, and by the time it actually came out, the art style change wasn't even remotely an issue anymore. i know this because i was one of those people who had a seething hatred of wind waker since its inception and kept getting pissed off that it was getting extremely high review scores :argh:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

They have some real Klasky Csupo energy to me, but they’re from a studio I had never heard of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Productions

ah there we go, that's what they were called.

man, they had their hands in a lot of pies didn't they?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Invader Zim aged like wine. Humans are nasty gross monsters who are largely terrible and capitalism sucks and we should laugh at how stupid it all is

Zim was a lot like Dexter's Lab where you had some great seasons made by the original team, and then some crappy ones made by someone who clearly Didn't Get It. The movie that came out semi-recently was good, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Moon Monster posted:

Zim was a lot like Dexter's Lab where you had some great seasons made by the original team, and then some crappy ones made by someone who clearly Didn't Get It. The movie that came out semi-recently was good, though.

??? They made 27 episodes and then canceled it homie and never changed teams lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Alaois posted:

what??????

are you one of those people who think we're supposed to agree with them about Columbus

I find it kind of funny that it was called MiB™ The Series

God I hate that art style. Such jagged lines everywhere. Unpleasant.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vandar posted:

Lmao Megatokyo.

About once every five years someone does something that reminds me that site still exists and I just laugh all over again.

Also, yes to story time. It never gets old.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Mr Interweb posted:

I always felt that most of those tie-in cartoons were good because those properties themselves lent the writers the opportunity to just make whatever they want and all they had to do was say "oh it's also an alien/ghost/magic" and then the episode plot is justified.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

eh..i don't think that was exactly the case. at least not as far as game press goes. the way i recall, the very first reveal trailer raised a ton of eyebrows to be sure. but as time went on and more and more media was released, people were gradually warming up to it, and by the time it actually came out, the art style change wasn't even remotely an issue anymore. i know this because i was one of those people who had a seething hatred of wind waker since its inception and kept getting pissed off that it was getting extremely high review scores :argh:

I think the VERY first Zelda on gamecube trailer was a "realistic" super polished Zelda game and then a year (or two?) later they revealed the Toon Zelda and it rankled some people who wanted a dark zelda game.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

credburn posted:

I find it kind of funny that it was called MiB™ The Series

God I hate that art style. Such jagged lines everywhere. Unpleasant.

I mean, it largely features a bunch of horrifying alien monsters, it would be weirder if it WAS pleasant to look at. Not like any of the gross creatures in the movie were easy on the eyes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Aces High posted:

I remember Schlock Mercenary being pretty good for the most part and actually ended rather than burning out or going full chud, Kevin and Kell was wholesome and I'm pretty sure predated the furry fandom (though that started in the 90's, does that still count?), I THINK Order of the Stick started in the 00's... uh... hmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think the VERY first Zelda on gamecube trailer was a "realistic" super polished Zelda game and then a year (or two?) later they revealed the Toon Zelda and it rankled some people who wanted a dark zelda game.

Oh I remember the reaction to that on these forums. I didn't even care about Zelda at the time but I think I also felt like (((betrayal)))!

I think I was 16 though

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda :shrug: