Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Air flow, as I’ve said before I tend to trivet things off the bottom and have the liquid underneath it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Rolled up and stuffed, on a trivet if it fits or on the bony tips if not. I do 45 minutes (depending on how stuffed), then take out and broil for 5 minutes each side. I'm not sure why you're roasting it there unless you're doing wet ribs and your goal is to reduce the sauce? Seems easier just to reduce it but ymmv. Otoh if you want to use the oven you could just oven all the way.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Anne Whateley posted:

Rolled up and stuffed, on a trivet if it fits or on the bony tips if not. I do 45 minutes (depending on how stuffed), then take out and broil for 5 minutes each side. I'm not sure why you're roasting it there unless you're doing wet ribs and your goal is to reduce the sauce? Seems easier just to reduce it but ymmv. Otoh if you want to use the oven you could just oven all the way.

That's what I was thinking.

I meant broil/air fry after the pressure cook to get some texture going, then probably a quick baste and another 5 mins to crust it up a little.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

I love having a yogurt setting. I've never actually made yogurt with it but I frequently ferment dosa batter in my multicooker.

That's neat I never heard of it?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lawman 0 posted:

That's neat I never heard of it?

Dosa is made from fermented rice and urad dal (split and husked black lentils), fried like a crepe, and usually filled with potato masala.

Mark Bittman has a pretty decent recipe that I'll make for friends and family whenever I have the mental capacity to plan ahead. It is phenomenal.

Edit: I've only tried a few different recipes for dosa. If anyone has a better dosa recipe please let me know.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
I'm trying to prepare dried beans, for later use in soup, chili, etc. Is this or is it not the correct process, please?

1. Put 1 cup of dried beans, rinsed, in the instant pot.

2. Cover with 3-4 cups of water.

3. Pressure cook for 20-25 minutes, with natural pressure release.

Every time I try it, my beans come out overcooked and mushy. What exactly am I doing wrong here? Thank you.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Cook for less time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
try soaking them first, draining that water and adding fresh water. then only pressure cook for 8-10 min.

what kind of beans? some will take more or less depending on size and how old they are

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Would you not soak them and then pressure cook on low with quick release for maybe 4-8 mins depending on size? Potatoes for mashing, cut into 1cm slices take 14 min on low with quick release if you need a reference

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

learnincurve posted:

Would you not soak them and then pressure cook on low with quick release for maybe 4-8 mins depending on size? Potatoes for mashing, cut into 1cm slices take 14 min on low with quick release if you need a reference

here's what i use, but it's rancho gordo's beans and not what you find at the store, which could be a bit drier/older

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/560ad766e4b0bd9a7a2bdab8/t/5e95f2b52aae8d6545a08797/1586885302075/pressure_cooking.pdf

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think they forgot to specify low pressure and you had it on high maybe?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What kind of beans?

I cook black beans for 30 mins and natural release for 15 a d they're about right.

Oh wait, that might be chickpeas. gently caress.

Here it is. This page is great coz the guy did some actual experiments and lay his results out well. Soak vs non soak etc etc:
https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-chickpeas/

Outrail fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 27, 2023

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I wish my beans would overcook in 25 minutes, even at full pressure mine need like 45, even Rancho Gordo's.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.
Your cooking time is almost always going to depend primarily on the bean you're cooking.

Assuming unsoaked beans and a quick release of pressure, baby lima beans can be done in as little as 12 minutes, while canellini beans and chickpeas can take as many as 40 minutes at pressure. If you're doing natural release, you'd want to cook them even less time, because they'll continue to cook during the release phase.

There's other factors that can affect cook time -- acidic or basic ingredients in the recipe, age of the beans, soft vs. hard water, and how soft you want your beans -- so it may take a few tries and adjustments to get your beans "right".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Don't forget altitude

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

In previous pressure cooker newbie adventures. This happened to my bowl, so I bought replacement that wouldn't fit (really the site's fault, as it claims the pressure cooker is 6 liters rather than the 5.5 it's listed as everywhere else).

Fine. I went ahead and bought a 5 liters replacement bowl (stainless steel).

It fits just fine. The lid closes just fine, absolutely no trouble. The pressure cooker bips and boops and eventually starts counting down as though it had in fact built up pressure, just fine.

And.......... this just doesn't result in any pressure. No matter what I try to do.

What might be the issue and is this plausibly fixable?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Could it be the extra weight messing with sensors?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Did you measure the old one to see if this one is exactly the same height and diameter

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
The mostly likely problem IMO is that the bowl is too short and isn’t making contact with the heating element. Because the original bowl was 5.5 or 5.7 or whatever liters and you bought a replacement that’s only 5. However there are a ton of other possible problems that none of us can diagnose; the rim could be slightly the wrong shape, so that it “fits” but doesn’t seal; the different weight or thermal properties of steel could be messing with the sensors; probably other things I don’t know about. It’s almost certainly not fixable, and I can promise you it’s not worth throwing more of your time and money away on trying.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Hello pressure cooker thread. My new Instant Pot Pro 8qt arrived today. First up is the Kenji chicken chili verde. What else should I prioritize making with my new gadget.

I like beans. I have many beans. I will be making lots of beans.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The carnitas was bangin and a big thing of pork should be pretty cheap.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Doom Rooster posted:

Hello pressure cooker thread. My new Instant Pot Pro 8qt arrived today. First up is the Kenji chicken chili verde. What else should I prioritize making with my new gadget.

I like beans. I have many beans. I will be making lots of beans.

chilli

rice and bean stew

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I enjoy lazy ribs: cook them party way in the IP, ad finished in the oven. Falling apart in tender 2 hours.

Yes, slow smoked ribs are better, but I did say they are lazy....

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
imo the green pork chili is better than chicken

you can always do the instant pot butter chicken recipe

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

The carnitas was bangin and a big thing of pork should be pretty cheap.

Oh shot of course. Def doing this. Thanks.

Outrail posted:

chilli

rice and bean stew

100% doing both.

Arkhamina posted:

I enjoy lazy ribs: cook them party way in the IP, ad finished in the oven. Falling apart in tender 2 hours.

Yes, slow smoked ribs are better, but I did say they are lazy....

In love with my smoker and make ribs all the time to the point my wife gently told me to chill. Don’t think I can justify burning my rib capital for this.

Fantastic option for most people though.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

imo the green pork chili is better than chicken

you can always do the instant pot butter chicken recipe

Hmmmm tough call. You’re probably right about the pork. May change plans to that if I don’t want to also do carnitas immediately.

Butter chicken is absolutely happening tonight.

Thank you all! More ideas absolutely welcome.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If you're doing any kind of soupy rice dish use brown rice. You won't notice it's brown rice but it'll hold together instead of becoming a pastelike mash.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm trying to improve the quality of the food I'm eating, and I'm hoping a pressure cooker can be a useful tool in that.

My day job is pretty stressful so I don't have much mental energy left for any sort of complex cooking, hit and miss even at the weekends so meal prep can be difficult.

I was hoping I could get some simple pointers for ways I could use a pressure cooker for some set-and-forget meals. I had a look at a few recipe sites but a) there's a thousand and b) they're often "pressure cook this thing and then also fry that and chop this and oh you're going to have a lie down and order delivery instead? OK".

Perfect options would be where I can chuck some dried and/or frozen stuff into the pot, run it, then eat. The world isn't perfect though so I'm willing to try most anything, but really if it gets beyond two or three cooking methods with timers (boil, microwave) I'm not going to do it, as much as I want to. I suspect beans will feature heavily.

Also fine if it's weekend food prep which is "chuck a lot of dried/frozen/fresh stuff in, run it, and freeze it". So long as I don't have to too actively engage in the cooking process, which is sad, I know, I used to like cooking.

I do have an Instant Pot, I've just not taken it out of the box.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm trying to improve the quality of the food I'm eating, and I'm hoping a pressure cooker can be a useful tool in that.

My day job is pretty stressful so I don't have much mental energy left for any sort of complex cooking, hit and miss even at the weekends so meal prep can be difficult.

I was hoping I could get some simple pointers for ways I could use a pressure cooker for some set-and-forget meals. I had a look at a few recipe sites but a) there's a thousand and b) they're often "pressure cook this thing and then also fry that and chop this and oh you're going to have a lie down and order delivery instead? OK".

Perfect options would be where I can chuck some dried and/or frozen stuff into the pot, run it, then eat. The world isn't perfect though so I'm willing to try most anything, but really if it gets beyond two or three cooking methods with timers (boil, microwave) I'm not going to do it, as much as I want to. I suspect beans will feature heavily.

Also fine if it's weekend food prep which is "chuck a lot of dried/frozen/fresh stuff in, run it, and freeze it". So long as I don't have to too actively engage in the cooking process, which is sad, I know, I used to like cooking.

Based on your circumstances, you might be better served with a slow cooker as opposed to a pressure cooker. Pressure cooking is just like normal cooking, only faster, whereas many/most slow cookers recipes are "throw into slow cooker, set on low/high for 4/6/8 hours, eat" which seems more up your alley currently.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Pressure cooking is more about reducing cooking time, not reducing effort.

My only simple recipe are stews.
Take some dried split peas and at least twice as much water.
Some sausage or ham or other fatty meat. Or lean meat + fatback.
Some aromatic veggies (carrots, leek, onions, celery), I do buy dried cubed soup veggies for when I forgot to buy fresh ones.
Spices: Caraway, pepper (black, white, red to taste), salt.

Throw it all into the cooker and cook for 15 minutes at full pressure. Then enjoy with some bread to dip in.

You can switch the split peas for lentils, frozen green beans, cabbage, kale or presoaked beans. You might have to adjust your spices.
And if you forgot to buy bread, peel and cube some potatoes and just add them to the stew.
If you want to get a bit fancier, you can brown the meat and the aromatics before adding the water.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Yeah, a slow cooker (and Costco burritos for when time was really tight) got my wife and I through a period when we really didn't have a lot of time or energy for actual cooking. We also got a programmable rice cooker that could be set to have the rice ready when we got home in the evening. Whatever was in the slow cooker got dumped on rice.

I wish this guy had been a thing during that period of our lives. He doesn't have anything explicitly on pressure cookers but he does have a lot of good tips for surviving the week as a working parent. He has a whole series on air fryers if you're in to that. He likes beans and the Instant Pot does good beans.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Try looking up "dump-and-go" recipes, which don't require any prep beyond chopping up your ingredients. I don't have any particular source I like for that, but it's the keyword that everybody uses for those types of recipes

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I cook frozen Italian sausages in the IP for dinner fairly often, they’re obviously not crispy but they are cooked. Boil some water for pasta, heat up some either homemade and frozen sauce or a decent jar of store bought (my loca grocery has a decent peppers and onions tomato sauce,) and you’ve got a fairly simple but tasty dinner without much real cooking work. I guess you could fry the sausages if you wanted but I’m not going to do that after a long day.

Edit: I know, I know, but there’s always the dreaded salsa chicken. Chicken thighs (thawed overnight) and a jar of salsa plus a can of corn or beans or both. You dump it all in (trying not to get salsa on the bottom of the pot, put it last) and set on high for a little while, shred the chicken and adjust seasoning. It’s the very very most basic IP/Crockpot recipe but it’s usable in tacos, on salads, I made decent enchiladas with it once. Basic but easy.

angerbot fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 8, 2023

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have the enormous instant pot and what I do is at 11 am I throw in a bag of frozen veg/stuff I've found cheap/whatever needs to be used up, add meat, either cheap cuts or the remains of the Sunday roast, add water and stock cubes and then cook on high for 20 min (with an extra 20 on saute after if I'm adding dumplings). The keep-warm function works well enough for people to wander into the kitchen and ladle a bowlful when they want some.

It's basically my cauldron.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I love the term cauldron. Absolutely stealing that.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Username post combo!

My simplest go-to, adapted from a variety of online recipes, is a shredded cheesey chicken. Food processor takes it from easy to lazy.

Food:
2 lbs boneless chicken breast
3/4 cup salsa (I prefer the individual fresh veggies quickly chopped, but again we're aiming for lazy. Also no need to measure the salsa, it's an extra dish. Eyeball it!)
1/2 brick (4oz) of lowfat cream cheese
1 cup cheddar or pepperjack shredded cheese (also eyeball)
1 can drained black beans (optional af)
1 tsp each of your preferred seasonings (chili powder? Garlic powder? Anything you like. I usually go light here. Also eyeball)
Hot sauce if you like it
Salt & Pepper
Lime juice (1 small lime) if you feel like

Instructions:
  1. Open up pot
  2. Place in the chicken (on the trivet!) followed by the salsa and everything not cheeses or beans
  3. Close pot
  4. Cook on high pressure 20 minutes
  5. Allow natural release (on keep warm)
  6. Remove chicken, place in food processor and pulse 3-5 times until shreddey but not pulverised or sandy
  7. Whisk cream cheese and shredded cheese in the pot with the salsa&chicken juices until smooth (my signal is usually no chunks of cream cheese)
  8. add back in chicken (and add beans if using)

Works on salad (grocery store bagged salad kits makes it an easy af meal), sandwiches, tacos, rice, eggs, mixed with frozen veggies, or entirely by itself. Will also not clash with or overpower most sauces so you can add variety that way.

The various shortcuts here sap it of some of its quality and leave it a bit sodium heavy, but at the end of the day you've only sullied your pot, the food processor, and the whisk and the active time is around 5 minutes. It's not something I ever make to show off for others, but it's easier for me than deciding on delivery and quicker+better than the halfdozen frozen microwave meals it can replace.

ETA:

angerbeet posted:

Edit: I know, I know, but there’s always the dreaded salsa chicken. Chicken thighs (thawed overnight) and a jar of salsa plus a can of corn or beans or both. You dump it all in (trying not to get salsa on the bottom of the pot, put it last) and set on high for a little while, shred the chicken and adjust seasoning. It’s the very very most basic IP/Crockpot recipe but it’s usable in tacos, on salads, I made decent enchiladas with it once. Basic but easy.
Apparently I just can't read and missed the lower touch version of this. :tipshat:

404notfound posted:

Try looking up "dump-and-go" recipes, which don't require any prep beyond chopping up your ingredients. I don't have any particular source I like for that, but it's the keyword that everybody uses for those types of recipes
"One pot" can be more hit or miss, but also an option along with "dump-and-go"

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 9, 2023

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks very much everyone for your suggestions, I’ll give it all a go and report back.

Since I already have the IP can it reasonably be used as a slow cooker? No big deal if not, they’re cheap and readily available here.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jaded Burnout posted:

Since I already have the IP can it reasonably be used as a slow cooker? No big deal if not, they’re cheap and readily available here.

If it has a “slow cook” button then yes.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My two cents, but it not the best slow cooker. Can scorch things that sit flush to the bottom. You can use a rack if there is enough liquid, to move things off the bottom.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Arkhamina posted:

My two cents, but it not the best slow cooker. Can scorch things that sit flush to the bottom. You can use a rack if there is enough liquid, to move things off the bottom.

I found that it works amazingly well for making stock, though. Pressure cooked stock never gets as full-bodied as slow-cooked, but throwing in some chicken scraps and chicken feet with aromatics and setting it to slow cook for six hours is awesome and requires no babysitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Most recipes that would be 3-8 hours in a crock pot will come out better in an instant pot, with a fairly consistent recipe change. Use a lot less liquid since it won't evaporate, and significantly reduce cook times: potatoes or chicken need about 20 minutes, tough beef or pork stew meats will be good at 45 minutes and falling apart at 60.

As an example recipe: "20 minutes" in the IP at high pressure for some amount of potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, chicken breasts, 1 cup water or broth: cut everything into 1" cubes or slices, layer into the pot with onions on the bottom, and put 6 Golden Curry cubes on top. After cooking, quick release, stir, and maybe reduce it on the stove to desired consistency, and serve over rice or whatever. Most stew-adjacent recipes can be done with a similar process.