Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also have you been made aware that this is the only life you get and the time is very finite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

entirely appropriate snipe.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I use a program called nformat which will just endlessly format floppies in a loop while also checking them for bad sectors and other problems.

I run it in the background while I work and there is no deadline, so the time I spend on it is already being wasted on such bullshit as working

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
but why

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because I have a lot of old computers that cant use a floppy emulator so sometimes I need floppies

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I had an X10 floppy drive my dad bought in like 1999, and it could read an entire floppy in some crazy fast speed of like 2 seconds to read the entire disk. It had an onboard RAM that it read the disk into and then made it available to the controller

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_accelerated_floppy_drive

Always found it odd that he got his hands on one as apparently only 1,000 were ever made?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I need floppies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa98AhEVAZQ

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Contoso

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

"just crowdsource it!" as a business model

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

sometimes I need floppies

when i'm in this situation i just look at a picture of your mom!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

rude!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

O_o

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fabrikam

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the gangbang meme but the guys behind the couch have floppy disks for heads and the smiling lady on the couch is a compaq

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

/me

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Internet Cafes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the gangbang meme but the guys behind the couch have floppy disks for heads and the smiling lady on the couch is a compaq

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

"the gangbang meme"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Being worried about Intel Processor Serial Numbers that would track you

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
NSAKEY

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Chank Diesel's Chank Fonts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chank_Diesel

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
chank memes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I definitely used one of his free ones in a professional project at least once

which reminds me of having to preflight files to print, like there was the quark file but also the original image files, fonts, vector graphics, etc. weren't embedded in the document just for position only placeholders and if any of it was missing you could waste thousands of dollars on a misprint. there used to be multi-hundred dollar quark extensions [er, XTensions] to help you check everything was in place and your trapping and color profile settings were correct because showing up at 10pm for a press check and the headline is in times or everyone's skin looks slightly green was a real bad time

sure pdf sucks but it sucks so much less than the alternative

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
running reiserfs and having to balance the fact that you support wife murdering in exchange for slightly faster btree fs performance in your linux install

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WilWheaton posted:

running reiserfs and having to balance the fact that you support wife murdering in exchange for slightly faster btree fs performance in your linux install

Fueled by Wife blood.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Chanky boi

Oh lawd he compositin

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

I definitely used one of his free ones in a professional project at least once

which reminds me of having to preflight files to print, like there was the quark file but also the original image files, fonts, vector graphics, etc. weren't embedded in the document just for position only placeholders and if any of it was missing you could waste thousands of dollars on a misprint. there used to be multi-hundred dollar quark extensions [er, XTensions] to help you check everything was in place and your trapping and color profile settings were correct because showing up at 10pm for a press check and the headline is in times or everyone's skin looks slightly green was a real bad time

sure pdf sucks but it sucks so much less than the alternative

I once wrote those XTensions! the main one that I worked on was my employer’s flagship, SmartXT, which rendered better QuarkXPress previews for EPS separation files it understood and (if you installed GhostScript and pointed SmartXT at it) rendered the rest

I had to reverse engineer a bunch of drum scanners’ custom EPS representations to do that but it was worth it, natively QuarkXPress only looked at the PICT or TIFF preview of an EPS file and knew nothing about multi-file separations

my impression is that the one-two punch of PDF-X and the industry switching to InDesign killed the product in the end, but that would’ve been after I and most other staff quit, after a labor action we engaged in when management at our tiny company were such assholes as to make one person cry during our annual meeting and then berate her for it

eschaton fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 29, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's some funny tech poo poo i just remembered

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
PICT was fine

what would you want to use instead, W/EMF? lol those sure worked out well

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
quark setting itself on fire was the funniest goddamn thing. they had an unimpeachable hold on the entire publishing industry, an incredibly deep moat filled with piranhas, and anyone switching off of quark would have to junk and rebuild their entire print workflow at enormous expense in time and money and hassle and training and ruined output - and they were so awful and greedy and unresponsive that adobe came in and rather effortlessly swept up their entire customer base. just incredible

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
someone could try and do the same thing to adobe but it'd be pretty difficult to pull off today

adobe would probably just buy the company anyway. someone would have to be really committed to tearing it down lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FMguru posted:

quark setting itself on fire was the funniest goddamn thing. they had an unimpeachable hold on the entire publishing industry, an incredibly deep moat filled with piranhas, and anyone switching off of quark would have to junk and rebuild their entire print workflow at enormous expense in time and money and hassle and training and ruined output - and they were so awful and greedy and unresponsive that adobe came in and rather effortlessly swept up their entire customer base. just incredible

i was a dorky kid and spent time on computer forums like 18 years ago and i still to this day remember one guy endlessly complaining about using quarkxpress on a 1.8ghz single socket g5, funy tech poo poo

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I used Adobe Pagemaker in my high school yearbook class. I was the only person nerdy enough to have my own (windows 98!) laptop that I carried to school, so the teacher just slapped the school copy/serial on there for me to use. Printed via carefully holding it up next to the printer so the infrared port was aligned enough to transmit, and all my funky custom fonts I had to be sure to send in on a floppy when I submitted my pages.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
thought it was hilarious I could print out contacts or notes from the ir of my sony ericsson candy bar phone to a laser printer.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beeftweeter posted:

someone could try and do the same thing to adobe but it'd be pretty difficult to pull off today

adobe would probably just buy the company anyway. someone would have to be really committed to tearing it down lol
ive heard that adobes chokehold is explained by the fact that they hold alllll the patents for pretty much every kind of digital imaging algorithm and technology

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

FMguru posted:

ive heard that adobes chokehold is explained by the fact that they hold alllll the patents for pretty much every kind of digital imaging algorithm and technology

i'm sure they have an absolute rear end ton of patents but the only ones i'm familiar with being actually problematic are the PDF related ones since it's also an ISO standard, the situation is kinda similar to quicktime/MP4 or h.264 licensing. thats not to say that i think it's good, but it's certainly possible to develop stuff with the technology

really couching patent covenants and liability promises as "corporate goodwill" instead of just viewing it as a way to head off antitrust concerns is a dumb as poo poo system anyway

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that said i think a lot of adobes might be close to expiring. lol gettin' mad about patents

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

that said i think a lot of adobes might be close to expiring. lol gettin' mad about patents

they can afford to buy off a couple of congresspeople to get the terms extended like everyone else does.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Midjack posted:

they can afford to buy off a couple of congresspeople to get the terms extended like everyone else does.

i think that would be pretty interesting to see actually. there's a lot of money behind both sides, i.e. i can see why they'd want them to be but i can also see their competitors saying their hands are being artificially tied even more than before with an extension

obviously "eliminate software patents" isn't a realistic solution either, so i'm really not sure where it would end up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.