Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
He more recently made a documentary about the Vietnam War, which I vaguely remember people pointing out that it was very American-centric and didn't really talk to anybody from Vietnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Farecoal posted:

He more recently made a documentary about the Vietnam War, which I vaguely remember people pointing out that it was very American-centric and didn't really talk to anybody from Vietnam

I'm almost wondering if Rall got Burns crossed with Oliver Stone somehow. Or I guess it's just "this will be like Vietnam".

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Ken Burns Is Here

Every possible Vietnam reading ends with us as the Soviets, Ukraine as the North Vietnamese, Donbass as the South Vietnamese, and Russia of course as America.
So we are destined to see our investments pay off while the invasive non-local army and it's unpopular puppets will suffer ignominious defeat.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Farecoal posted:

Lol

Literally half the interviews were with Vietnamese including former vietcong so that sounds like somebody who didn't watch it and just wanted to poo poo on it for some reason

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

Rowe:

Knight:

Wilcox:

I think it's a combination of "back to school" and the government announcing a boost/revamp to arts funding.

Spooner:

Treasurer Jim Chalmers.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Saint Sputnik posted:

Who was that cartoonist the thread banned years and years ago because their art was just so hideous? Like he was trying to ape John Kricfalusi but all that meant was a tangled mass of limbs going in every direction

e: Barry!

I don't think Barry was ever banned. Jagger McDagger just discovered him somehow and started posting his cartoons without commentary.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Microplastics posted:

Lol

Literally half the interviews were with Vietnamese including former vietcong so that sounds like somebody who didn't watch it and just wanted to poo poo on it for some reason

I haven't watched myself, but here's one of the articles I was half-remembering
https://theintercept.com/2017/09/28/the-ken-burns-vietnam-war-documentary-glosses-over-devastating-civilian-toll/

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

US cops' prejudice obvious by Cai Meng

Le Monde

by Adene from France

Charlie Hebdo

Police drop in popularity in the US
"They're doing fine with our job, nonetheless."

Retirement
Just 64 years to go!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

fool of sound posted:

I don't think Barry was ever banned. Jagger McDagger just discovered him somehow and started posting his cartoons without commentary.
yeah, the barry mine was tapped out long ago, wasn't a banning

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Microplastics posted:

Lol

I know professionally some of the people who worked with Ken and Lynn on Vietnam and they've told me that early on in the planning process Ken said that they were making a documentary that everyone was going to hate: the right would hate it for telling the truth about it being a stupid idea, marked by war crimes, and doomed to failure; the left would hate it for not spending enough time on how doomed to failure and marked by war crimes it was, and the centrists would hate it for just making them uncomfortable. There general consensus is that even now, going on fifty years since the conflict, America is not ready to really have an honest conversation about the war in VIetnam, and we will never get to that point as long as the war generation is still alive and invested in it. Possibly extending to their children as well.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The honest conversation is that it was doomed to failure* and marked by war crimes, there you go

*Which is good

Also the "everyone hates me so I know I'm doing something right!!" is such a goddamn idiotic mindset

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 30, 2023

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Farecoal posted:

The honest conversation is that it was doomed to failure* and marked by war crimes, there you go

*Which is good

Also the "everyone hates me so I know I'm doing something right!!" is such a goddamn idiotic mindset

That was totally not the mindset they were trying to convey, rather it was an acknowledgement from the beginning of the project that even now America is still not over getting its poo poo kicked in during Vietnam, nor willing to be honest about that war and all that came from it. Kenn Burns is many things, but a Rall-esque self-assured contrarian edgelord is not one of them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

fool of sound posted:

As far as I can recall, the only one that's officially threadbanned is DbD.
Maybe Stonetoss, but I think that's just more a case of nobody wanting to look at it long enough to post it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kellies nomination: Laziest non-Gorrel for "Make up a joke for me" being a quarter of your printed comic.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

the_steve posted:

As far as I can recall, the only one that's officially threadbanned is DbD.
Maybe Stonetoss, but I think that's just more a case of nobody wanting to look at it long enough to post it.
you are correct, only dbd has ever gotten the ole mod boot. all other 'bans' are just gentlemen's agreements

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
When I was reading Nixonland, it threw me for a loop to hear contemporary anti-war voices talk about Vietnamese casualties. My entire life, it's always been about the senseless loss of American lives, the damage to the American psyche, the effect it had on a generation of Americans... but never the people that actually, y'know... lived in Vietnam.

From what I've heard, the Ken Burns documentary is no exception to this framing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Saint Sputnik posted:

Who was that cartoonist the thread banned years and years ago because their art was just so hideous? Like he was trying to ape John Kricfalusi but all that meant was a tangled mass of limbs going in every direction

e: Barry!

The only harm vaccines actually have is people being scared of them?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

World Famous W posted:

you are correct, only dbd has ever gotten the ole mod boot. all other 'bans' are just gentlemen's agreements

Huh, I thought Stonetoss was also due to being literal undisguised Nazi propaganda.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

That cartoon is 14 years old, so probably health care costs

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vib Rib posted:

The roll of Obama Bubble Tape Obama pill bottle cap would indicate this is an early anti-ACA toon, I think.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This thread is pretty good about moving on when a chud cartoonist loses any remaining novelty and goes full bore cruelty and fascism. If somebody tried to post Stonetoss now I'd imagine it's not improved such that it wouldn't rapidly become formally banned by public agreement, but it just never came to that. I suspect Sinfest is going to share the same fate in due time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Part of the agreement on Stonetoss and associated cartoonists not being posted was that a lot of their fascism was crypto; they'd pepper their bigoted cartoons with supposedly neutral, observational ones that were intended to be shared and spread more broadly as an on-ramp for the alt-right. We didn't want to be party to it- plus the ones that were more overt (I recall some dude with a greek name in their orbit being an example) were mind-blowingly offensive.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

quote:

AL GORE CASHES IN ON ‘CLIMATE CHANGE’

At the WEF conference, the climate huckster Al Gore went on a rant.

He said we are using our atmosphere ‘as an open sewer’ and trapping as much heat as would happen if we detonated 600,000 Hiroshima bombs every day. He wailed about boiling oceans. He screeched about ‘rain bombs,’ and how we are ‘creating the droughts and melting the polar ice caps and glaciers.

Gore didn’t mention in his unhinged raving that he was wrong about his earlier predictions. He said the ice cap would be gone by 2015. He predicted that in 2009. Nope, ice caps still there. So are the glaciers. I’ve seen ‘em in Glacier National Park. He predicted rising oceans too, but apparently he didn’t believe it himself too strongly because he bought an ocean-front mansion. As for his ‘rain bomb,’ California seems to appreciate having their reservoirs filled.

It was originally about ‘global warming.’ Now it’s about any kind of weather. Warm spell? Climate Change! Arctic front?Climate Change! Too little rain? Climate Change! Too much rain? Climate Change! We’ve had tornados and hurricanes forever, but now each and every one of them are caused by climate change. Gore and his climate change cult are using the weather to fan fear so that we give them money and power to ’solve’ the crisis. It will never get solved because Gore and his ilk are liars. There is no climate ‘crisis.’

Gore’s mansions consume a tremendous lot of energy, and his private jets spew plenty of carbon into the atmosphere. That’s OK, though—he and John Kerry are of a different caste and top members of the climate cult—along with Great Thunberg. They received money and attention and can do whatever they want no matter how hypocritical they are. However, we masses—we lowly, struggling carbon units—must give up driving, gas stoves, meat, and breathing. That’s what it’s really all about : The culling of humanity. They want us to die, but not before we cough up all of our money and freedom to them. They expect us to pay for our own demise.

Gore is not a scientist and neither is Klaus Schwab, John Kerry, or Bill Gates. Why are we forced to listen to these malevolent, dominant voices? Oh, I almost forgot. Money. They are all fantastically rich, which buys them big megaphones and bigger influence, but they are really nothing more than carnival barkers. We need to laugh at them. They deserve our scorn and ridicule, not validation.
Meanwhile, Gore has cleaned up by means of his climate change scam. He now has a net worth of $330 million thanks to his climate ‘companies’ and schemes. That’s what this has always been about : A money bomb, not a rain bomb.

The cartoon “South Park” once had an episode that featured a creature called a “ManBearPig,” that roamed the Earth and attacked humans. Al Gore is the ManBearMoneyPIg.

quote:

BIG BABIES SWALWELL AND SCHIFF

The Salt Flows As Swalwell And Schiff Are Removed From The House Intel Committee

California’s Congressman Eric Swalwell once threatened gun owners with nuclear weapons. He was making a point about how big and powerful he was because he was part of a big and powerful government. (Dementia Joe recently made a similar comment). Swalwell had no problem with joking about inflicting mass murder on US citizens. Now he’s crying because he claims he received death threats. I’m not sure what such threats have to do with getting kicked off the House Intelligence Committee, but now he’s playing the victim with full crocodile tears.

He’s not a victim—he’s just a big baby. He deserved to get kicked off his committee after it was discovered that he was sleeping with Fang Fang, a Chinese communist spy. His lame excuse? He proudly claimed his district had a lot of Asians. I guess he felt he was servicing them all somehow by sleeping with a foreign Asian enemy. Regardless, having such a compromised man on the committee was equivalent to President Xi sitting on it. Swalwell now has the gall to complain that he was a victim of partisan politics when House Speaker McCarthy kicked him off the committee. Pelosi kicked off Republicans from committees as a matter of course.

Adam Schiff, also a House Representative from California, is equally angry and upset with McCarthy and vows to get even—and announced he is running for Feinstein’s Senate seat. Schiff used his position on the Intelligence Committee to insinuate he had inside, concrete information that President Trump was guilty of colluding with Russia. He had no such evidence. It didn’t exist. Schiff is a proven liar, but he continued to insinuate that he had inside info about Hunter’s laptop. He claimed with was ‘Russian disinformation.’ Another lie. The laptop proved to be real.

Swalwell and Schiff are traitors and vicious liars who make bags of scum look respectable. Not only should they be off any committee, they should be drum rolled out of Congress.

quote:

GET VAXXED – GET SCREWED

James O’Keefe and his Project Veritas only further confirmed what many of us already know:

Big Pharma is hopelessly corrupt.

Pfizer just released a statement ADMITTING that they have been ENGINEERING covid viruses.

In his video, an undercover agent coaxed the truth out of Pfizer employee, Jordan Trishton Walker, who said Pfizer intended to keep their billion dollar Covid cash cow mRNA jabs running by means ‘directed evolution’ of the Covid virus. Endless strains means endless vaccines to sell. Directed evolution is simply a variation of the phrase, ‘gain of function.’ Walker said the original Covid virus was created in the Wuhan bioweapons lab and we already know Fauci funded that lab. (Why isn’t Tony Fauci in prison for mass murder?)

For over 100 years, everyone has been thoroughly trained (brainwashed) to think vaccines are a wonderful medical technology. A magical, er, scientific cure for what ails us. They’re not. They can be extremely dangerous.

One of the reasons Big Pharma now has immunity from prosecution from vaccine damage to humans goes back to the Reagan era. The vaccine makers were being sued out of existence for their harmful products. Big Pharma lobbied Congress and the politicians obliged. Vaccines were considered to be essential to the nation’s health. They must be protected! Science was under threat! Therefore, a bill was signed that gave the vaccine makers immunity. A vaccine court was created. Instead of suing a company such as Pfizer, the case was taken to a national vaccine court and if the plaintiffs won, the taxpayers would fund the payout. What this meant was Big Pharma was off the hook. They were released from accountability and soon became irresponsible. Money became their prime focus, not our health.

You might say regulatory agencies would be there to protect the American people from dangerous vaccines, but Walker also alluded to something we already knew: The government agencies designed to protect us have become a revolving door for Big Pharma. Their former employees end up working at those agencies, or current officials are rewarded with cushy jobs at Big Pharma later on as a reward for looking the other way.

Combine these advantages with the complicit silence of corporate media means Big Pharma enjoys a medical monopoly. The media ignores negative stories and they definitely won’t do investigative journalism to expose Big Pharma because after all, they rake in a fortune in advertising revenue. Politicians are bought out by large campaign donations. Big Pharma attacks and silences those doctors, scientists and whistleblowers who speak out. At universities, the textbooks used by future doctors say little about vaccine science. They simply tell medical students that vaccines are great and to use them at every turn. Meanwhile, new vaccines are constantly being rolled out and pushed. Big Pharma uses TV commercials and other advertising to ramp up unreasonable fear to get people to take more and more jabs. Children are experiencing skyrocketing rates of autism, ADD, asthma, and other maladies, yet Big Pharma continues to suppress the truth that they are receiving way too many vaccines and some all at once at a very early age—before their natural immunity has a chance to form.

Big Pharma and their bought-out mainstream media continue to use the pejorative, ‘anti-vaxxer’ to silence nay-sayers. Many of those pointing out the evil of the Covid vaccines will still say “Oh, I’m not an anti-vaxxer, I believe in vaccines!” Please don’t call me an anti-vaxxer!”

I’m an anti-vaxxer. The vaccine well has been poisoned. I won’t accept a vaccination of any kind. We can no longer ‘trust the science’ — a science that is corrupted and controlled by those who want to thrust their concoctions directly into our bloodstreams so that they can make billions of dollars. People should be very wary about submitting to those shrill voices that are insisting that you get the next Covid poke. The lowest of those low voices cry for mandatory vaccinations. Don’t forget about all of those who wanted to take your choice and your medical freedom away from you! (Jim Cramer comes to mind). The worst vaccine cheerleader, Bill Gates, has spent billions of dollars to fund the vaccine industry and organizations that push the vaccines. Gates believes there are too many people on the planet that he and his ilk own—they want you dead. Vaccines are a good way to achieve that end.

As for those who already got the Covid shots? Shame on them for fooling you. If you get more shots, shame on you for not paying attention.

quote:

IT’S TIME TO RESTORE ELECTION INTEGRITY

Without fair elections, our Republic is imperiled.

The true voice of We The People is nullified by electoral corruption. It no longer matters how loudly we complain or how much we support candidates who want to fight for us and protect our freedom if the voting in contested key states is controlled by one party. It often boils down to corruption in a few large precincts within those key states.

When I was a young man, elections were decided on election night. Paper ballots were used. They were quickly tabulated and we all knew the winners before bedtime. This is no longer the case. High tech has been injected into the elections in the form of hackable voting machines. In addition, there is early voting, mail-in ballots, ballot ‘harvesting’ from questionable voting rolls, and drop boxes. As a result, we have a confusing shell game during the count with long and suspicious delays. We saw it occur when President Trump ran against Biden in the 2020 presidential election. Trump had a solid lead, but then there were mysterious late-night counting delays in the key states. When counting resumed, Biden had the lead. His tally inexplicably went straight up and he defeated Trump.

There were many irregularities and eyewitnesses to election fraud, but nothing happened. The courts refused to get involved. Those who complained were labeled ‘election deniers’ by Democrats. During the 2022 midterms, we saw the pattern play out again. There were long counting delays, which led to sudden leads for Democrats. Corporate media said Republicans had no one to blame but themselves because they had fielded ‘extreme MAGA’ candidates. The ‘uniparty’ RINO establishment within the party agreed.

The most egregious cheating took place in Arizona. Republican Kari Lake was projected to be the winner in the state’s race for governor, but voting machines curiously malfunctioned and key precincts long delayed the vote count. Many votes for Lake were rejected. Her claims of election fraud were rejected by the corporate media as being ‘conspiracy theories.’

Voters are losing trust in our election system. We need reform. One patriot who is stepping up to help put an end to the corruption is a Texan named Seth Keshel. Also known as ‘Captain K,’ Keshel is an MBA, is a former Army Captain of Military Intelligence, and Afghanistan veteran.

Captain Keshel has formulated a 10-point plan that will ensure true election integrity:

1. Clean out the voter rolls.
2. Ban all electronic elections equipment
3. Voter ID with paper ballots only
4. Ban mail-in voting
5. Ban early voting
6. Drastically smaller precincts
7. Ban ballot harvesting
8. Election day is a holiday
9. New reporting requirements for transparency
10. Heavy prison sentences for all who commit fraud

Captain K deserves everyone’s attention and support. Follow his videos and help him obtain more reach on social media.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Stultus Maximus posted:

Huh, I thought Stonetoss was also due to being literal undisguised Nazi propaganda.

Arguably, half the content in this thread is literal undisguished Nazi propaganda. Thinly disguised, if you want to be generous. Drawing that line in the sand means we'd have to iron out exactly how nazi is too nazi, and how much syndication makes someone a legitimate cartoonist instead of a webcomic, and then Ben Garisson or Tony Branco will post a particularly hateful turd and we'd have to relitigate it all over again.

Much simpler to just not post Stonetoss because nobody wants to look at Stonetoss than having to codify a reason. Same thing is going to happen to Sinfest Sunday when the current poster gets bored of it, and no one else wants to pick up the turd baton.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Garrison posted:

As for his ‘rain bomb,’ California seems to appreciate having their reservoirs filled.
Damages are estimated to end up over 30 billion dollars and 20 people are loving dead.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

After The War posted:

When I was reading Nixonland, it threw me for a loop to hear contemporary anti-war voices talk about Vietnamese casualties. My entire life, it's always been about the senseless loss of American lives, the damage to the American psyche, the effect it had on a generation of Americans... but never the people that actually, y'know... lived in Vietnam.

From what I've heard, the Ken Burns documentary is no exception to this framing.

It's less American-centric than any other work you're likely to bump into in the Anglophone world, but the problem does persist. I think part of the reason, though surely not all of it, is that Vietnam and the Vietnamese aren't nearly as obsessed with the war as we tend to be with it. For them, it's usually seen as historically less important than the First Indochina War against France, and despite their massively higher casualty rates and damage done to the country (to say nothing of the spillover into Laos and Cambodia and subsequent nightmares in the latter particularly) not comparably scarring on a national level. Helps that they won, of course.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

After The War posted:

The roll of Obama Bubble Tape Obama pill bottle cap would indicate this is an early anti-ACA toon, I think.
Branco and Garrison still draw Obama in their cartoons today, so I wasn't sure.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I don't know what's funnier; Garrison not knowing that ManBearPig was originally a dig at Gore for climate change, or that (of all South Park's dumbass opinions) THAT is the one they retracted and walked back.
:barf:

I hate that I'm the exact intersection of the people who would see this and people who would understand it.

Neito fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 31, 2023

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vib Rib posted:

Branco and Garrison still draw Obama in their cartoons today, so I wasn't sure.

I've been fooled often enough to check for the date every time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Neito posted:

I don't know what's funnier; Garrison not knowing that ManBearPig was originally a dig at Gore for climate change, or that (of all South Park's dumbass opinions) THAT is the one they retracted and walked back.

:barf:

I hate that I'm the exact intersection of the people who would see this and people who would understand it.

Explain it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Stultus Maximus posted:

It was more that people posting it stopped being interested in putting it in the thread anymore and no one else cared enough to resume.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I cannot, within the bounds of good taste, forum rules, ethics, and my own sense of wanting to contain the part of me that remembers that this. He basically posted something from a guro porn as a joke.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trans people bad. Science = Jewish = bad. That's it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sinfest sticks around because the frequency of the updates makes it a documented, real-time look at the terf to fascist pipeline. Now that Ishida is dipping his toes in the antisemitism pool, interest is already waning.

I mean the dog whistles will be a klaxon by this summer.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The machine itself is from a notoriously graphic and bloody torture animation made for people who get off to that poo poo. The entire joke is referencing internet culture while going "this thing? It's like a bad thing."

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Does Payne know you can't actually shoot extinct animals like the Woolly Mammoth?