Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Has anyone used a photo digitizing service like legacy box or photo panda?

Were you satisfied?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have not used any of them but I would not pay for a service to do it for you when there are plenty of AI tools that will let you do it yourself with a few mouse clicks for like a fraction of a cent per photo, e.g. https://vanceai.com/

e: This is specifically in regard to e.g. touching up old/out of focus/damaged photos ("photo restoration" I guess) though, you'd still need to scan them all yourself which is a fair amount of work but all you need is access to a scanner.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Wacom

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have not used any of them but I would not pay for a service to do it for you when there are plenty of AI tools that will let you do it yourself with a few mouse clicks for like a fraction of a cent per photo, e.g. https://vanceai.com/

e: This is specifically in regard to e.g. touching up old/out of focus/damaged photos ("photo restoration" I guess) though, you'd still need to scan them all yourself which is a fair amount of work but all you need is access to a scanner.

I have access to a scanner, but it is very old/dated, and I don't know how the photos would turn out given it's something like a 600 dpi scanner? I don't know anything about it.

I just want to take these 3 1 gallon ziploc baggies full of family pictures and get them digitized.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You should destroy old photos imo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

I have access to a scanner, but it is very old/dated, and I don't know about how the photos would turn out given it's something like a 600 dpi scanner? I don't know anything about it.

I just want to take these 3 1 gallon ziploc baggies full of family pictures and get them digitized.

AI upscaling/image enhancing tools are actually quite impressive for this stuff these days (I wouldn't be surprised if scanners have it baked in over the next few years) and unless you're going for really absurdly high resolutions for e.g. archival prints, the scanner you have access to is probably more than good enough.

If all you want is scans and you don't want to do it yourself, you can get a (probably) much higher quality/faster scan job for a (probably) much lower price by going to a local print shop. I took something in to one for scans a couple months ago, 20 large (poster-size) oddly-shaped pages and they had it done for $10 before I walked out the door. I think the main service the photo digitization places provide is touchups and restoration, and the convenience of clicking all the buttons for you. Any that would be affordably priced (at least what I would consider affordable personally) most likely just run them through the same AI tools for the restoration.

e: Notably, by Print Shop I don't mean the print/scan center in OfficeMax or whatever (I went through this recently and had bad experiences with one of those - low-quality scans with poor colors) but an actual dedicated print shop - the kinds of places that do signs or whatever (local one I use for comparison: https://www.prigraphics.com/ )

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 31, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m helping my dad go through old pictures, he’s trying legacy box but hasn’t sent it in yet. He has so many good old photos it seems like a decent solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

consumer scanners have been good for a long time, 300dpi will give you 1:1 print quality. it's down to what you value most, your time or your money