Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Casual Encountess posted:

absolute bangers abound on that list. theres a ton of genres represented and a ton of variety in casts and poo poo
agreed but loving lol @ the flintstones #3 baybee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Kenny Logins posted:

agreed but loving lol @ the flintstones

advertising for that poo poo was everywhere lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

watched top gun: maverick. fighter jets are so loving cool. waste of tax payer dollars but so loving cool.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Casual Encountess posted:

like i get what you're saying and im being hyperbolic but also.

this is the top 50 box office for summer 1994.

j

absolute bangers abound on that list. theres a ton of genres represented and a ton of variety in casts and poo poo

meanwhile

still some good movies but 70% of that list are movies that have already been forgotten in less than 4 years.

box office is a lovely metric but look at the stark change in the lists. its almost entirely franchise movies

Like over half of the 2018 is disney so ya it checks out

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Beeftweeter posted:

advertising for that poo poo was everywhere lol
it had a huge mcrib revival/tie-in iirc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

watched top gun: maverick. fighter jets are so loving cool. waste of tax payer dollars but so loving cool.

iawtp

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
also things shot on actual film just look better (assuming u get a good quality digital transfer i guess)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

bump_fn posted:

also things shot on actual film just look better (assuming u get a good quality digital transfer i guess)

I believed this until i decided to shoot using fuji’s classic neg film simulation with daylight balance at all times, allowing natural light to dictate the mood.

the straight out of camera results are gorgeous

https://www.flickr.com/groups/fujifilm_classic_negative/

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

polyester concept posted:

I believed this until i decided to shoot using fuji’s classic neg film simulation with daylight balance at all times, allowing natural light to dictate the mood.

the straight out of camera results are gorgeous

https://www.flickr.com/groups/fujifilm_classic_negative/

this is v cool but almost no modern cinematographers/DPs are gonna do this tho

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

bump_fn posted:

this is v cool but almost no modern cinematographers/DPs are gonna do this tho

lol I thought i was in the photography thread, my post obviously doesn’t apply to movies. nevermind!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
poo poo just looks better on film idk why

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
came across this in my youtube adventures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpST8KE3vSI

rip :(

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hm the local arthouse is doing a run through of all three LOTR extended editions in a row (with short breaks between)

https://tynesidecinema.co.uk/event/the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-extended-edition/

11:15 -> 23:37

idk if I have the bladder for it any more.

mystes
May 31, 2006

How does anyone have the attention span for that?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kenny Logins posted:

agreed but loving lol @ the flintstones #3 baybee
the b52s got a nice paycheck for doing the theme song so i cant hate it too much

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

(with short breaks between)

cowards

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i watched the lotr extended versions a couple weeks ago and it took me six nights to get through them

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it only took me five nights you amateur

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

are you saying you are a professional lord of the rings movie viewer

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Elder Postsman posted:

i watched the lotr extended versions a couple weeks ago and it took me six nights to get through them

I started watching the rings of power, realized I really just wanted to rewatch the films, and treated them like a mini series by binging half a film a night over a long weekend

I can't background these films, even the long scenes in the extended cuts are too interesting

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i don’t think rotk warrants the extended edition, or maybe i was just tired of it when i watched them. but if i was gonna watch them again i’d watch the first two extended and then the theatrical cut of the last one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

it only took me five nights you amateur

five nights at frodo's

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

in maybe 2006 or 2007 i watched all 3 extended editions in a row with my then-gf starting at around noon and finishing around midnight. this was on a 27" tube tv on dvd. haven't watched them since

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i watched the first movie in theater. wasn't the least bit interested, didn't return for more

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jesus WEP posted:

i don’t think rotk warrants the extended edition, or maybe i was just tired of it when i watched them. but if i was gonna watch them again i’d watch the first two extended and then the theatrical cut of the last one.

i hasn't recently rewatched it yet, but i suspect the original five ending theatrical will be enough for me, too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol return of the king extended is almost an hour longer, for some reason I thought that was the one they added the least to

I typically only watch them in 2 parts since it's 2 discs so it's easy to take a break

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

infernal machines posted:

i watched the first movie in theater. wasn't the least bit interested, didn't return for more

:crossarms:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

I saw the first one like 5 times in the theater over the course of a year.

2nd one saw twice, and ROTK once because it just wasn't that interesting anymore lol.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i have a friend who does yearly one day marathons and this summer i was in a hot tub ripping blunts and drinking beer during 2 and 3 on a giant outdoor projection screen and i highly recommend that methodology of movie watching

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

I saw the first one like 5 times in the theater over the course of a year.

2nd one saw twice, and ROTK once because it just wasn't that interesting anymore lol.

it just didn't grab me, i'm not terribly into high fantasy and between that and the runtime it just wasn't for me.

i'm glad y'all enjoy it though, all 30-whatever hours of that stuff.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i saw the theatrical cuts in the cinema and the extended cuts a few years later. i enjoyed all of them, but they're not films i need to watch more than once per decade

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
jackson’s style really bogs down in rotk. the source material does that bad enough already because tolkien wanted to make a point about epics fading into history and didn’t want to leave the shire as an eden in the fourth age, but jackson luxuriates in it and makes every moment drag out forever, it just gets unwatchable. the climax comes and goes and there’s still like an hour of movie left

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when I saw return of the king in the theater I had to pee really bad and the four [five?] fakeout endings got me so bad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

when I saw return of the king in the theater I had to pee really bad and the four [five?] fakeout endings got me so bad

-frodo wakes up in the elf hospital
-aragorn is crowned king
-everyone returns to the shire
-the ships depart for the grey havens
-sam comes home

and possibly one more I forgot

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

-frodo wakes up in the elf hospital
-aragorn is crowned king
-everyone returns to the shire
-the ships depart for the grey havens
-sam comes home

and possibly one more I forgot

all the bloopers after the credits finish

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"fool, you fly .. .oh goddammit [frodo laughing] CUT"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"I AM NO MAN" then eowyn stabs the witch king or whatever and actually hits him and the guy in the suit is all "AAH" and eowyn is giggles and is like "omg im so sorry are you ok??" and he takes the witch king head off and its like Taika Waititi in there or something

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*isildur cuts the ring off sauron's finger* OW gently caress THE OTHER HAND IS FAKE YOU DUMBASS how many times do we have to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

theoden falls off his fuckin horse when he tries to mount up and everyone busts up laughing