Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Do you actually get perceptibly better results with SV veg vs. steaming then broiling them though?

In my experience the veggied taste more intensive because there is no direct contact with water so none of the flavour is dragged out of the veggies into the water". Which I assure you is exactly the scientific wording to explain the phenomenon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kenji's carnitas recipe is so good. 36 hours at 145 and then fry the gently caress out of it in a pan with some oil

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Can confirm that Kenji's carnitas recipe is great, as is his carrots recipe. Today, I'm looking to do steaks. I picked up a couple of tenderloin filets from my butcher and he already had them vac-sealed in 3 mil bags. Should I open them up, salt & pepper them, and re-seal, or sous vide as-is and season before searing? Kenji says either is an option, just wondering if it's worth it to preseason.

I'm thinking 130 degF for maybe... 3 hours? Can't decide if I want to finish on the charcoal grill (less cleanup, familiar flavor) or cast iron (higher temp). Any advice appreciated!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have been taking tri tip, cutting it into individual steaks, SVing for like 8 hours and getting amazing results.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Easychair Bootson posted:

Can confirm that Kenji's carnitas recipe is great, as is his carrots recipe. Today, I'm looking to do steaks. I picked up a couple of tenderloin filets from my butcher and he already had them vac-sealed in 3 mil bags. Should I open them up, salt & pepper them, and re-seal, or sous vide as-is and season before searing? Kenji says either is an option, just wondering if it's worth it to preseason.

I'm thinking 130 degF for maybe... 3 hours? Can't decide if I want to finish on the charcoal grill (less cleanup, familiar flavor) or cast iron (higher temp). Any advice appreciated!

I previously tried seasoning after and I think it comes out a lot nicer if you do it before the dip, it penetrates better. You can also then stick some herbs in and that too makes a big difference. My go-to is salt, pepper, a smashed garlic clove, rosemary and sometimes thyme. I do that at 54°C for 2-4h and then sear in cast iron with butter and the garlic/herbs for basting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why so long for steaks? I generally do an hour and that seems like overkill since all I’m trying to do is get them up to temp.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It was initially based off the ChefSteps guide, but in reality the main reason I use sous vide for stuff is convenience. Like a rice cooker, I then don't have to worry about timings.

Edit: Also I am usually doing it from frozen so I increase by 30 minutes.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 21, 2023

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Why so long for steaks? I generally do an hour and that seems like overkill since all I’m trying to do is get them up to temp.

I went back and re-read the Kenji article and yeah, I'm going to revise my plan and go for 90 minutes, if not a little bit less.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Steak turned out great. This was 90 min at 130 with a cast iron sear. Thanks for the words of wisdom! Sry for the crappy pic

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That’s a great and happy looking pic. Looks delicious and perfect.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Easychair Bootson posted:

I went back and re-read the Kenji article and yeah, I'm going to revise my plan and go for 90 minutes, if not a little bit less.

It's interesting that ribeyes are such a short amount of time but a prime rib is listed for 8 hours or something. I'd have thought heat transfer would be quick enough that it would have been, like, 3 hours maybe.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hopper posted:

In my experience the veggied taste more intensive because there is no direct contact with water so none of the flavour is dragged out of the veggies into the water". Which I assure you is exactly the scientific wording to explain the phenomenon...

Dilution?

SV vegetables is basically boiling them in their own juices.

I like to do carrots with butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, clove, and ginger. The carrot juices and the brown sugar form a glaze that would otherwise take more skill with a saucepan than I possess.

Plus, you can throw the bag in the puddle and forget about it while you make the rest of the meal, and then just dump the bag in the serving vessel with no further thought.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm watching an old episode of "in Julia's kitchen", just one of many of her shows...
She's got this dude on to make a chocolate cake, such, ok cool.
Every time he needs to use the oven, though, opening the door for it sounds like a loving medieval prison cell door closing and it's hilarious.
Like Julia and this dude are quiet and calm and then he opens the oven and it's like demons shrieking

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bird with big dick posted:

Kenji's carnitas recipe is so good. 36 hours at 145 and then fry the gently caress out of it in a pan with some oil

are those giant chunks of meat or the world's smallest tortillas?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

What is the consensus on adding acid, oil, salt or spices to a 3ish hour cook? Will any of those develop unwanted effects or is it fine?

I heard adding oil may remove some of the meat's natural flavor, adding salt may give the meat a firm texture, cooking lemon juice for too long may develop a bitterness, etc

But maybe I misheard

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can't think of much reason to add oil to a SV cook unless it's a part of a marinade, and in that case I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Salt and spices are fine. Almost every meat SV recipe i've done involves at least salt + pepper before sealing. You're not going to 'dry out' meat by salting it when it's vacuum sealed in its own juices, and infusing spices over a long cook cook is very much something you want to be doing.

Strong citrus flavours are something to be sparing with, especially the longer the cook you go. Depending on what you're cooking you might want to be careful with e.g. lemon, but milder citrus flavours are going to be fine. E.g. Kenji's carnitas recipe has orange wedges in there with the pork for 24 hours.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Is there any issue in quality with cooking a protein sous vide, getting it in an ice bath to take it out of the danger zone, and then refrigerating until you sear it the next night? I'm trying to figure out how to do a better job of using my Anova for meal prep and I'm not home during the day to start it an hour ahead of dinnertime so I have to do stuff the night before ideally.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Mons Hubris posted:

Is there any issue in quality with cooking a protein sous vide, getting it in an ice bath to take it out of the danger zone, and then refrigerating until you sear it the next night? I'm trying to figure out how to do a better job of using my Anova for meal prep and I'm not home during the day to start it an hour ahead of dinnertime so I have to do stuff the night before ideally.

Nope.

Some things, like bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs are even better after they're chilled, IMO, because it is easier to crisp up the skin and make a pan sauce from the gelatin in the bag.

As long as you chill it quickly, you'd be able to keep things in the fridge unopened for a decent amount of time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah as long as you're cooking to pasteurization time/temps and ice bathing to cool quickly, it will keep a long time after cooking. I've kept sous vide turkey breasts for three weeks before opening. Once you open, you still need to consume it in 5-7 days I'd say.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Anyone in here have experience or knowledge using sous vide to cook for someone that is pregnant? Typical guidance says to avoid meats that aren't cooked to well done and unpasteurized foods like eggs, certain cheeses, etc. due to Listeria concerns. My question is if I follow pasteurization times and temp on something like a ribeye, say 137ºF for 3+ hours, will I have eliminated those concerns? My pregnant wife (and me) is craving some medium rare steak, but we are also trying to be as safe as we can within reason.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Random Hero posted:

Anyone in here have experience or knowledge using sous vide to cook for someone that is pregnant? Typical guidance says to avoid meats that aren't cooked to well done and unpasteurized foods like eggs, certain cheeses, etc. due to Listeria concerns. My question is if I follow pasteurization times and temp on something like a ribeye, say 137ºF for 3+ hours, will I have eliminated those concerns? My pregnant wife (and me) is craving some medium rare steak, but we are also trying to be as safe as we can within reason.

Yep. I even used it to pasteurize eggs so I could make cookie dough that my then-wife could eat. We didn't know about the listeria risk from flour then though but people do pasteurize flour this way too as I understand it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Gonna do sous vide pork shoulder and want more of a Caribbean ish seasoning to it instead of carnitas. I was thinking onion, garlic, orange, bay leaf and oregano?

I want to make something similar to the legendary pork sandwich from Paseo/Un Bien in seattle

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Gonna do sous vide pork shoulder and want more of a Caribbean ish seasoning to it instead of carnitas. I was thinking onion, garlic, orange, bay leaf and oregano?

I want to make something similar to the legendary pork sandwich from Paseo/Un Bien in seattle

It always reminds me of Pernil where they don't go light on the garlic or citrus, but light on the cumin. Oregano is good and the bay will probably put it over. That's a really good sandwich.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I've been told that you should make sure to use Seville orange if possible, or else add a little grapefruit; otherwise it ends up a bit sweeter than you might intend.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Random Hero posted:

I'm immunocompromised and I do lots of sous vide cooking for exactly this reason. I will say I generally don't push it, I'm not hunting for the lowest possible safe temperature. Mainly that's because I often don't even like the texture at those temps. But being able to safely cook ground meats like brats at 150-155 and chicken/turkey at 145 is awfully nice. Otherwise I'd probably feel like I have to constantly overcook stuff with conventional cooking, since I wouldn't want to push things below 165 for safety reasons. Use Douglas Baldwin's time/temp charts for pasteurization, I would trust them. But be conservative on your thickness estimation.

I kind of feel like steak is borderline though. To be actually pasteurized you have to run at a temp and time that I don't think it's going to feel 'medium-rare'. I'd suggest using a torch or maybe a super hot charcoal chimney for browning, as I feel like even a couple minutes in a pan to put a crust on is going to really cook it when it's already above 135 internal. It's a similar problem with fish. Pasteurized fish is essentially well-done even in the best case. Like salmon is just not workable, for example. Stick to white fish and frankly I'd just fry it.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I cross posted this to the smoker thread too, but:

I'm in a cold climate trying to make some decent KC style BBQ for the super bowl. I'm going to get about 5 hours of decent-ish smoking weather on Sunday to cook outside, does anyone have a recipe on a combo sous vide / smoker they like? Looking at either ribs, traditional brisket burnt ends, and pork belly burnt ends.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I don't have a 'direct' recipe. However I can make suggestions. Things that you don't want to have a HUGE smoke flavor to are probably going to work best. I've never Smoked for flavor, SV for cooked, Smoked for finish/bark before so maybe that's the play. But if you are going from SV to Smoke it's not going to get super smokey.

Generally I'll look up "SV *meat* serious eats" or Kenji 'search terms' since they are basically the same and generally have what I'm looking for. Lots of people complain about his salt levels so if you're sensitive maybe do 3/4 or half of what's suggested.

For example this is the brisket one. Which I follow and use only the point when making burnt ends this way.
https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe

Ribs - https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-pork-ribs-recipe-food-lab

EDIT: I saw the post on the smoker thread just now. So to echo those guys Kenji and that pulled pork recipe is pretty drat good. Especially that rub. Save some to mix in when pulling the pork it'll help greatly. Also 2-3 hours on the smoker is usually what I do to get a good crust. Usually at higher temp than what you'd cook at. Heavy on the smoke too. FWIW everyone tells me they love it. :shrug:

sterster fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 8, 2023

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

sterster posted:

I don't have a 'direct' recipe. However I can make suggestions. Things that you don't want to have a HUGE smoke flavor to are probably going to work best. I've never Smoked for flavor, SV for cooked, Smoked for finish/bark before so maybe that's the play. But if you are going from SV to Smoke it's not going to get super smokey.

Generally I'll look up "SV *meat* serious eats" or Kenji 'search terms' since they are basically the same and generally have what I'm looking for. Lots of people complain about his salt levels so if you're sensitive maybe do 3/4 or half of what's suggested.

For example this is the brisket one. Which I follow and use only the point when making burnt ends this way.
https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe

Ribs - https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-pork-ribs-recipe-food-lab

EDIT: I saw the post on the smoker thread just now. So to echo those guys Kenji and that pulled pork recipe is pretty drat good. Especially that rub. Save some to mix in when pulling the pork it'll help greatly. Also 2-3 hours on the smoker is usually what I do to get a good crust. Usually at higher temp than what you'd cook at. Heavy on the smoke too. FWIW everyone tells me they love it. :shrug:

I think I'm doing the pulled pork with Kenji's recipe and Meathead's rub, but I'm not sure about using the brown sugar for the initial rub in the sous vide. I don't think sugar is really going to caramelize or act like I want in the sous vide bath, only in the smoker at > 275?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I think I'm doing the pulled pork with Kenji's recipe and Meathead's rub, but I'm not sure about using the brown sugar for the initial rub in the sous vide. I don't think sugar is really going to caramelize or act like I want in the sous vide bath, only in the smoker at > 275?

There will be no caramelization in the bath for sure. However sugar can get into the meat. I do this with brown sugar and turkey legs when using salt curing. I can clearly tell a difference between pars that did or didn't get 'enough' brown sugar on them.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
My go-to for sous vide pulled pork is to cook a boneless shoulder at 165ºF for 18-20 hours, pat dry, re-rub and smoke for 3-4 hours around 225-250.

This won't have the same smoke level has if you had smoked it the full time, but I think it's adequate. You trade slightly less smoke for the flexibility of not managing a smoker over a long period and I do think the pork is juicier. The last shoulder I did was bone-in and smoked the whole way. I switch it up depending on the amount I'm cooking and how I'm feeling. Another thing I'll point out is I think boneless works well for sous-vide with a short smoke but I prefer bone-in for the full smoke because I find that helps with the overall juiciness and tenderness.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Random Hero posted:

My go-to for sous vide pulled pork is to cook a boneless shoulder at 165ºF for 18-20 hours, pat dry, re-rub and smoke for 3-4 hours around 225-250.

I decided to go this route for the Super Bowl yesterday and it was good as always:

Started with a ~6lb boneless that I split, seasoned and bagged:

Into the sous vide at 165ºF on Saturday around noon:

~20 hours later I got my Weber Kettle going for a short smoke before taking the pork out and applying some more rub.

This was about 2 hours into the 3 hour smoke:

Off the smoker and pulled. Juicy and just enough smoke:

Bonus... I made some sourdough dinner rolls to go with it:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Did anyone see that sous vide ultrasonic bath video? Makes me seriously tempted to try it...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Link it, friend.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Kwolok posted:

Did anyone see that sous vide ultrasonic bath video? Makes me seriously tempted to try it...

Is this about the ultrasonic fries from MC or something different?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgel4FlsAao

Guga so grain of salt but in researching this I found there are some commercial kitchen cookers that include it: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Ultrasonic-for-Whole-tank-Even-heat_62020755690.html

Though alibabab scam etc etc. But it seems like there might be something to it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Ultrasonic is a cool idea. It's useful for making infusions that take less time, and is an interesting way to simulate aging spirits on wood. It's still different, but it definitely seems to increase the rate at which the oil/flavor compounds are released from the vegetative matter and enters the liquid solution. So you should be able to get a really good flavor distribution if you add garlic and herbs and things to the package as well. I wonder if you could decrease cooking time for the longer times due to the vibration as well.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Why does it never occur to anybody to use, I don't know, the same steak cut into pieces, or at least adjacent steaks on the same primal when testing like this? I mean I guess because they want clicks and don't actually give a poo poo if it does anything.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I just did a long cook for a pork shoulder and noticed a ton of mineral buildup on the pot and exposed part of the machine. I am not concerned about this single time, but I use the same water all the time with this machine, so more worried about something chronic. Has anyone ever run a solution of water and vinegar through the machine for like an hour just to get the internal mechanisms clean? I don't think this would hurt but just checking to see if anyone has done this and what the result was.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Joule instructions specify doing exactly what you're talking about. https://support.chefsteps.com/hc/en-us/articles/214090878-How-do-I-clean-Joule-

quote:

To keep Joule running smoothly over the long haul, we suggest cleaning it regularly in a vinegar bath. The harder the water is in your area, the more often you will want to clean your Joule. The cleaning instructions are detailed here, and also shown in the video below:

Pour equal parts of water and distilled white vinegar into a small pot.
Add Joule, use manual mode to set the temperature to 140 °F / 60 °C, and allow Joule to heat the liquid.
When Joule alerts you that it has reached that temperature, the cleaning is complete.
Although 140 °F / 60 °C is preferred, running a vinegar circulation bath at a lower temperature can still do wonders for cleaning / de-scaling. (Even at Joule's minimum temp of 68 °F / 20 °C.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Awesome, thanks! Hopefully Anova doesn't have anti-vinegar software installed.