Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Hey guys I may have screwed myself but I put everything back the way it was no configuration changes everything set up exactly the same however when restarting everything some of my PCs can get on the domain and some cannot for some reason they can all paint the domain they all seem to get DNS addresses but some just won't connect to anything is there something stupid I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, what did you change and then change back?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Short answer: I removed a server and was going to RAID10 4 spare drives I had from when I swaapped from HDD to SSD. The only settings that were changed were the RAID settings.

Long answer:

4 physical drives using (up to) 4 drives:

1 - SATA 0 and 1 (Raid 1), 2/4 (Raid1)
2 - 0/1 (R1)
3 - 0/1 (R1)
4 - 0/1 (R1)

Changed to:

1 - 0/1, 2/4
2 - Removed
3 - 0/1/2/4 Raid 10
4 - 0/1

Then changed back. I am currently sitting on the current configuration. The drives that I used for the Raid 10 for 3 are extra drives that were not being used. The other drives I removed in pairs and placed back in pairs exactly how they were removed.

There were no network, server or any other configurations changed except one drive I shrunk to have a temporary place for a backup.

All servers are back up and functioning with healthy Raid 1 sets.

I did have to shut down to swap these and change some cabling, but I brought the servers back up in order (Namely DC/DHCP/DNS, DB (because it takes forever and that raid 1 pair needs to be 10), then the other two VM servers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What was the server you removed doing? Was it possibly a Domain Controller? Is it listed in dcdiag? https://activedirectorypro.com/dcdiag-check-domain-controller-health/

When you "changed some cabling," what exactly do you mean here? Was one of those cables connected to a NIC that possibly had a static IP, possibly serving a domain controller?

When you say "won't connect to anything," what do you mean? Please be specific.

Basically, you're describing setting a grenade off and then saying things are messy. Not really enough information to help.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
SATA cabling is the only thing that was moved.

code:
      Starting test: DFSREvent
         There are warning or error events within the last 24 hours after the SYSVOL has been shared.  Failing SYSVOL
         replication problems may cause Group Policy problems.

Starting test: SystemLog
         A warning event occurred.  EventID: 0x000003F6
            Time Generated: 01/02/2023   13:38:55
            Event String:
            Name resolution for the name client.wns.windows.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
The only error for this box. All of the partition tests were successful on the DC itself.

On a non-DC, only the sysvol shows up as an error.

e: as for the "won't connect", some pc's are on the domain with no issues, some can't find the domain, some are not even getting an IP.

Fun example: One of the VM servers, the physical server is on the domain, while the VM cannot get on the domain.

e2: It seems DHCP is failing to give out IPs. Most of the PCs are reserved on the server side, excepting a few, while all the servers are set on the properties of the NIC itself. The ones that are set on the NIC seem to be fine. Going to double check a handful of mac/IPs to make sure they are set up correctly, but not sure why they'd fail.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 2, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If they're not even getting an IP, it sounds like maybe your DHCP server is down. The working PCs might not have released their IP addresses yet. Can you confirm DHCP is working? What happens if you put a static IP and static DNS on some of the non-working clients?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

If they're not even getting an IP, it sounds like maybe your DHCP server is down. The working PCs might not have released their IP addresses yet. Can you confirm DHCP is working? What happens if you put a static IP and static DNS on some of the non-working clients?

We posted at the same time. The server is up (On the DC/DNS), but not sure why it's not giving IPs. Heading that direction now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cool, glad we are on the right track. Check to make sure that the DHCP server is an authorized DHCP server on the domain and that the service is started. It kind of sounds like maybe your other server you offlined might have been doing DHCP.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Four loving hours for a DHCP service reset :suicide:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, we've all been there. Glad you got it fixed.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Content warning: room reservation / calendaring software.

Room/desk reservation software is all the rage these days. However, we have a requirement that seems to not be a standard feature.

We have a building with sub-tenants and we allow them to reserve meeting rooms, and our office manager needs to approve booking requests. No problem, right? We went with Robin, which said they can do approvals, and turns out… They can only do meeting approvals if the requester is on the same domain and has their M365 account hooked in! Our subtenants are completely separate organizations with their own email systems, and are certainly not on our domain.

So it’s back to the drawing board for us… I’m hoping to avoid the commercial real estate / “WeWork”-type software because I suspect that will be way more than we need.

I'm told Eptura (formerly iOffice+SpaceIQ) can do it and I'm getting a demo scheduled.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I saw this but have no idea if it's poo poo or good

https://getjoan.com/coworking/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

[ Insert literally all of the vendors here ]

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

https://getjoan.com/coworking/

I used that at a previous gig and as I recall it it wasn’t bad. Tablet thingies were a bit pricey but we’re battery powered and stuck to a magnetic sticker so easy no-wiring mounting.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I finally talked the place into buying new server equipment (Mainly because their other stuff is failing). Some questions:

I was planning on doing a Raid 10 with 4x SSD drives for their Database server, and the rest of the drives in a 10 for everything else. Everything is going to be handled via VMs now rather than physical servers.
Should I just buy everything through dell, or buy a more base unit, then buy the ram and drives separately to help reduce costs?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Buy everything from Dell. Do not under any circumstances do white box poo poo for a small biz.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

And don't skip the next day onsite support!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're going to buy new servers from Dell and then scrape around for third-party components to install to save money then you might as well buy the entire thing second-hand (don't do this either).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Thanks guys! It came out quite a bit cheaper than I initially expected, hopefully it's being ordered today!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Why is Microsoft licensing so stupid?

And more specifically: someone who isn't me ordered a windows 10 HOME laptop. I want to upgrade and we have Microsoft E3 license, but apparently can't just flatten, install Win10Ent from ISO, and activate with E3 lic.... You can only use that E3 to activate Ent from a Pro license. STUPID.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

nvrgrls posted:

IT'S TIME TO PICK A NEW PHONE SYSTEM :dance:

Other than Teams and Zoom (both of which we already use), anything else worth looking at? With Teams I'd use via CallTower or similar.

50 users, most WFH

These are my requirements

HARDWARE: MUST HAVE
Handsets (Note: while we must have handsets available for specific cases, we do not expect that all users will NEED a handset)
Courtesy phones (lobby, kitchen, etc.)
Conference room phones
Ability for users to sign in to handsets in shared desk situations

HARDWARE: Nice to have
Receptionist phone

SOFTWARE: MUST HAVE
Admin usage dashboard
Voicemail to email (recording)
Voicemail to email (transcription)
Electronic faxing
Mobile app

SOFTWARE: NICE TO HAVE
Single sign-on with M365/Duo
SMS capability
Granular usage dashboard
Call recording
Call supervision
Configurable music-on-hold
Support sub-tenants / separate directories

I still haven't done this lol

Our top contenders are 8x8 and RingCentral. What can I say, I like RingCentral's hold music because I'm a basic bitch. It's no Opus Number One though ofc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you got ordered a laptop with Windows Home on then is it not flimsy plastic garbage? Or do some OEMs let you specify Windows Home on otherwise good hardware?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nvrgrls posted:

And more specifically: someone who isn't me ordered a windows 10 HOME laptop. I want to upgrade and we have Microsoft E3 license, but apparently can't just flatten, install Win10Ent from ISO, and activate with E3 lic.... You can only use that E3 to activate Ent from a Pro license. STUPID.
I firmly believe that the licensing schemes are intentionally designed to be both hard to understand and easy to subvert, so that it's not worth it to "optimize" your licensing to exactly what you need. If you try you will likely end up underlicensed in some way that leaves you vulnerable to BSA stuff, so the safe bet is to overlicense.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you got ordered a laptop with Windows Home on then is it not flimsy plastic garbage? Or do some OEMs let you specify Windows Home on otherwise good hardware?
Looks like Lenovo will sell you a lot of different models of Thinkpad with Windows Home edition to save $60. I've definitely seen Dell Latitudes with it in the past as well, though at least currently Home Edition only seems to be offered on the consumer product lines. Likewise for HP, if I specify "Business Laptop" all the non-Pro OS options grey out, vice versa for the home models (which would be annoying if I wanted one of their gaming models).

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Windows Surface Laptops. Plastic, not really. Flimsy... well,

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

wolrah posted:

I firmly believe that the licensing schemes are intentionally designed to be both hard to understand and easy to subvert, so that it's not worth it to "optimize" your licensing to exactly what you need. If you try you will likely end up underlicensed in some way that leaves you vulnerable to BSA stuff, so the safe bet is to overlicense.

I think you're absolutely right especially with this Microsoft E3/E5 stuff

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

nvrgrls posted:

I still haven't done this lol

Our top contenders are 8x8 and RingCentral. What can I say, I like RingCentral's hold music because I'm a basic bitch. It's no Opus Number One though ofc.

8x8 if you like the feature set.
It's easy to use, and I get minimum bullshit from my sales guy, as opposed to ring central, who tried to upsell me like twice a month.
If course, one time I forgot who my sales guy was and it took me a month of working with their support to figure it out, so you make sacrifices.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

nvrgrls posted:

Whoever ordered a laptop with Home for use in a business setting is the fuckface to begin with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Windows licensing thing looks like it's consistent with how volume licensing works, which is that you can't volume license the Windows client OS, you can only license upgrades, and the only available edition in that scheme is Enterprise. To qualify for the upgrade you have to have a base OS which has to be Pro, the exception is Education where the base license can be Home (this might also apply to nonprofit).

I worked for someone who swore blind I was wrong and was deploying onto PCs bought from Dell without a Windows OS, which was a fun audit.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 2, 2023

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

wolrah posted:

Re: Microsoft licensing

I wouldn't even hire a lawyer if they came for me.

I'd waltz in to the first mediation, 2 cell phones on speaker already in queue, one with ms sales, one with ms support. Explain to both I have a simple licensing question that I'm a little confused on. Let them both go on a 5 minute apology rant about how terrible the licensing is and even they don't get it while staring -dead eyes- into opposing councils face the whole time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

The Windows licensing thing looks like it's consistent with how volume licensing works, which is that you can't volume license the Windows client OS, you can only license upgrades, and the only available edition in that scheme is Enterprise. To qualify for the upgrade you have to have a base OS which has to be Pro, the exception is Education where the base license can be Home (this might also apply to nonprofit).

I worked for someone who swore blind I was wrong and was deploying onto PCs bought from Dell without a Windows OS, which was a fun audit.
That's one of those things where the licensing is more clear about what's required, but what's required is loving stupid. There is no good reason for them not to have it be a simple "pay this per machine and it's licensed, period, no matter what it shipped as" other than to create another path to bend people over who didn't bother to read the details.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh yeah it's stupid

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That must be why when my boss bought a windows 10 home laptop off of eBay I had to go through several otherwise valid licenses to find one it would take and then install pro. And yeah it was a edu/non profit license

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Curious what y'all's offboarding policy is with regards to email.

Delete mailbox and let new mails bounce?
Delete mailbox and forward mail to manager?
Keep mailbox around?

I'd prefer deleting and making a generic bounce, but the nobles think that customers will email with million dollar contracts and then just go to the competition when they don't get an answer.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

In ms365, convert to a shared mailbox and attach to the manager's account. Generally after a few of these, the manager gets pissed off having to monitor so many extra mailboxes anything important is dealt with and the request to shut down the mailbox comes in.

Don't make it your problem, make it the managers.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

We keep the mailbox data around for retention purposes (shared mailbox w/ manager access like unknown initially), but respond for a couple of months with a "try here instead" autoreply before just bouncing things.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Forward to the manager for 30 days then it’s gone. No mercy on keeping old email addresses around.

A subsidiary we acquired had a really bad habit of just throwing the person’s alias on someone else, there were people with 10+ aliases attached to their mailbox from terminated employees.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Teams question:

We have gmail/suite accounts under our primary domain with an alias to a DBA that we primarily use. username@companylegalname.com and username@companyDBAname.com. We do most business through the DBA domain.

We also have 365 accounts for office products, but since google handles our email we never set up our domains with them. Those accounts are username@companylegalname.onmicrosoft.com. There is no email with these accounts.

Working with an external org and they sent guest Teams invites to our companyDBAname.com addresses. Now, we can accept these invites and get into Teams web version with a temporary code sent to the email, but as soon as we try to access anything with apps on our computers (like, word or excel) it won't let us use those "accounts" because there's not an actual microsoft account behind them. We can't create microsoft accounts under those addresses. We also can't get invites under the onmicrosoft.com addresses because there's no email to receive the invites at.

Is there a simple way to unfuck this or are we just screwed?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

bolind posted:

Curious what y'all's offboarding policy is with regards to email.

Delete mailbox and let new mails bounce?
Delete mailbox and forward mail to manager?
Keep mailbox around?

I'd prefer deleting and making a generic bounce, but the nobles think that customers will email with million dollar contracts and then just go to the competition when they don't get an answer.

Once the user is out the door, for all intents and purposes other than legal liability ones, that mailbox is gone and never existed to begin with. Lawyers decide the email retention policy, IT just implements it.

I've been through tons of "Jane Smith is leaving the company, can you just keep her email open since it's what all our suppliers are sending to" and "Can you open Jacks email for me, he left the company a few weeks ago and I just need to check some documents?"

No, gently caress you, I like not being in jail very much and intend to keep it that way!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Also, it's a sign of a piss poor offboarding procedure if the company is relying on specific people's emails for both point of contact and documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

evobatman posted:

Once the user is out the door, for all intents and purposes other than legal liability ones, that mailbox is gone and never existed to begin with. Lawyers decide the email retention policy, IT just implements it.

I've been through tons of "Jane Smith is leaving the company, can you just keep her email open since it's what all our suppliers are sending to" and "Can you open Jacks email for me, he left the company a few weeks ago and I just need to check some documents?"

No, gently caress you, I like not being in jail very much and intend to keep it that way!

I'm actually having a call with our lawyers tomorrow to discuss this very issue. Right now we keep mailboxes indefinitely (as shared mailboxes) and it drives me crazy.