Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Green Wing posted:

Where'd you get this from? Can't find it

It's the existing pricing for a very specific enterprise API that lets you do historical analysis of tweets, not the new pricing for the general v1/v2 APIs

https://developer.twitter.com/en/pricing/search-30day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
No faster way to save the relevance of your "public square" platform than to lock its content off behind an API paywall

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

biosterous posted:

a lovely browser rpg i play rate limits api call to 100 per minute per user

144k a day, for every user, for free

lol

World of Warcraft limits addon api usage to 36000 per HOUR, max 100 per SECOND.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1621157463851683840

All those "cute animal every hour" accounts are going to be killed by the API charges. The last reason I had to be on the site is gone.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Clouseau posted:

If I understand correctly this would directly impact listening/platforms (e.g. Hootsuite) so ultimately this will probably chase off even more corporations from Twitter as they'll have their abilities to social listen dramatically reduced and the value of the users on there is dropping so there's less a reason to bother.

Great strategy to lose even more advertisers.

Also, the real value of twitter is that high profile users are posting. If you in any way make it harder for a brand, celebrity, or power user to post then the casual users's ad views dry up. Ways to dissuade high profile users from posting is to get rid of third party clients, charge for API usage for automated posts, charge for API usage for analytics/trends, etc.

A good example is how most huge corporations use the API to search for customer complaints every second. Then those negative tweets are shown to a human who selects from a menu of responses to reply using the API. I.E. "I hate my Comcast internet that is down", followed by a reply from Comcast asking them to DM their support account if they need assistance. That is probably hundreds of search API calls a second, followed by API calls to retrieve the profile data of every user whose tweet matched. I look forward to all those corporate customer service accounts going dormant.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Only one weeks notice too.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1620952933675462656

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

All those "cute animal every hour" accounts are going to be killed by the API charges. The last reason I had to be on the site is gone.

#ElonMuskHatesCuteTwitter

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Decon posted:

Get drama clicks by loudly declaring you're going private. Drama clicks are, of course, a bubble, so engagement goes back to lower than baseline because now you're just getting your normal followers but no boosting to non-followers from replies and the like.

We'll always have the Meter Room

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

wait, so is this API charging scheme a plan to get rid of the bot that lets everyone know Musk re-followed Grimes at 3am?

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

This is his 4D chess play to finally kill the plane tracker bot once and for all.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

It is going to be wild to see what their enterprise licensing is going to look like.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

learnincurve posted:

A friend of mine died because of Twitter bullying, and that was when they still had a mod team.

This actually explains a lot.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Steadiman posted:

Oh crap I was trying to find the joke they were making and this is it, isn't it

Also the Twitter Blue people still don't have most of the promised features they're paying monthly for yet but instead how about an entirely new feature, out of the blue, that nobody cares about!
https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1621167174323953665
I mean co-tweets were absolutely pointless and dumb but this might be dumber. I wonder if this is going to be on top of the suggested 4000 character thing or if this is what the character thing has become. But lol at anyone going to twitter to read essays

Are manifestos considered essays? I could see that being a popular feature with the kinds of users Elon is courting.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

To be fair, Twitter provides a very valuable service to me, which is forever ruining artists. For instance I just found out the guys in Right Said Fred from famous song "I'm too sexy" are full-on antivax/chemtrail idiots. Thanks twitter. My artist playlist is down to Bach fugues

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Crow Buddy posted:

It is going to be wild to see what their enterprise licensing is going to look like.
Companies with annual revenue over 1 billion can pay by having the ceo give musk headpats and calling him a good boy.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

To be fair, Twitter provides a very valuable service to me, which is forever ruining artists. For instance I just found out the guys in Right Said Fred from famous song "I'm too sexy" are full-on antivax/chemtrail idiots. Thanks twitter. My artist playlist is down to Bach fugues

What about Technotronic? They make the Belgian techno anthem "Pump Up The Jam".

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Thank you Elon for finally getting rid of all the bots!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The bots are dead, long live the bots

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

What about the homey @eatshitbot?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

rip every sheriff bot

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Doctor Butts posted:

What about Technotronic? They make the Belgian techno anthem "Pump Up The Jam".

I can't even find them on Twitter, so they're probably ok! :buddy:

Jam will be pumped!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

all my apis gone.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
rip elon flight tracker

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

smoobles posted:

all my apis gone.

lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
rip your bees

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

kazil posted:

wait, so is this API charging scheme a plan to get rid of the bot that lets everyone know Musk re-followed Grimes at 3am?

Immediately what I thought.

smoobles posted:

all my apis gone.

GBS > elon musk: all my apis gone

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
without otter twitter there is no twitter

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
also, you know the massive classical art webring thing one dude built all on his own

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Ratjaculation posted:

so this but for switch

That tech is too advanced for a Switch

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/1621202197748023296

if you were wondering how things are going over at tesla, hoo boy they're going swimmingly

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Just when I though Elon was slowing down his attempts to smother Twitter with a pillow, he comes up with something no one expected! Musk is a true innovator in the field of destroying companies.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Twitters next play is that you can tweet for free, but you have to subscribe to twitter blue if you want to use vowels.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/1621202197748023296

if you were wondering how things are going over at tesla, hoo boy they're going swimmingly

I used to think that Musk loving with Twitter would be a death kneel to Tesla, but he has enough fanboys that he could fling his own poo poo at car buyers and the stock would go up.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Extra Large Marge posted:

Twitters next play is that you can tweet for free, but you have to subscribe to twitter blue if you want to use vowels.

I’m a good post… guy…

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Extra Large Marge posted:

You gotta kiss Cat Turd on the mouth for each tweet.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/keithjohnstack/status/1621153970117910528?t=8udO69Z8v6krL9hAv54Cwg&s=19

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Clouseau posted:

If I understand correctly this would directly impact listening/platforms (e.g. Hootsuite) so ultimately this will probably chase off even more corporations from Twitter as they'll have their abilities to social listen dramatically reduced and the value of the users on there is dropping so there's less a reason to bother.

Great strategy to lose even more advertisers.
I could see this working as a quick non sustainable squeeze on corpo Twitter. It's worth thousands of dollars to be able to respond to "@Mcdonalds why is there a pube in my fries?" until the entire trustworthyness of the platform disintegrates more completely.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
nice one, keith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

smoobles posted:

all my apis gone.