Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

Order a phone direct from T-Mobile and get whatever promo ? Sucks that it’s a 2 year contract, but they probably have promotions.

Or buy direct from Samsung ?

Or how about not getting ripped off. I do not buy new phones ever. A nice 10e mint condition is about 140-150 bux. Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Or how about not getting ripped off. I do not buy new phones ever. A nice 10e mint condition is about 140-150 bux. Perfect.

Ok sure, you don’t have to be an rear end in a top hat, I was trying to give you advice despite you ignoring it earlier.

you’re not necessarily wrong (although there’s more to it to that), that is cheap, but there’s always a price versus risk. The risk of buying a cheap used phone is issues like you have been running into. Sorry that the roll of the dice didn’t go your way.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Anyone have any idea if T-Mo is going to do the MLB.TV special again this year? I know they have the past couple years, just trying to figure out what I need to plan for this season.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
T Mobile canceled the line they added after I called and sent out a new sim cause the sim they sent was obviously associated with the new line I didn't want. I don't even understand what they are doing. I used to call get an immediate pick up from an hourly employee. Now you get some outsourced roulette where maybe it's their first day maybe not. The second call the person was fine and knew how to do things.

The website is insufferable now too. Does anyone even look at these things its terrible. I just want to see the prices of new phones why is that so hard. They all sell for the same price.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

T Mobile canceled the line they added after I called and sent out a new sim cause the sim they sent was obviously associated with the new line I didn't want. I don't even understand what they are doing. I used to call get an immediate pick up from an hourly employee. Now you get some outsourced roulette where maybe it's their first day maybe not. The second call the person was fine and knew how to do things.

The website is insufferable now too. Does anyone even look at these things its terrible. I just want to see the prices of new phones why is that so hard. They all sell for the same price.

T-Mobile claimed that merging with Sprint would increase competition, create more jobs and make it a better experience for customers.

Surprise surprise , T-Mobile has reduced head count since the merger, it’s less competition (especially because Dish is a mess and non factor) and obviously it is not a better experience.

It’s super depressing it was allowed to go through. Sprint was a failing company , so I guess there’s that, but it was still just blatantly not good for the average US consumer.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Looks like the only way to get thw drat 23 is by grabbing a Max line? Lame.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

Looks like the only way to get thw drat 23 is by grabbing a Max line? Lame.

They definitely have been gating their best promos for Max, I'm assuming you were talking about the "free S23" promo?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, or at least a trade for my 21 that doesn't result in a 30/mo addition to my bill.

Ah well.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, or at least a trade for my 21 that doesn't result in a 30/mo addition to my bill.

Ah well.

What plan are you on now? I was able to switch One to Max via Tforce and only thing I lost was my kickback discount, my 20% and fee lines all stayed and ended up being about a wash honestly. The device promos made up for the kickback loss.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm on the old 2-for-$100 One plan and between adding a third+ line, device promos, and even poo poo like the included Netflix... going to Max is at worst a wash.

Really my only debate now is which S23 I want to trade my S21+ for.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Maneki Neko posted:

What plan are you on now? I was able to switch One to Max via Tforce and only thing I lost was my kickback discount, my 20% and fee lines all stayed and ended up being about a wash honestly. The device promos made up for the kickback loss.
I'm grandfathered in from Sprint's SWAC or whatever it was called.

I really don't want to lose my Tidal sub :cry:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Hey I have I have 9 months left on by Pixel 6 pro contract thing. It's $10 a month after a $25 credit. The screen has broken. If I just activate another phone on my line do I still get the credit since they're still going to charge me monthly as long as I don't enter into a new monthly phone purchase agreement or whatever? Or do I actually have to have the phone on my line for the credit? I'm on the Sprint grandfathered in swac plan whatever that's called now.

Edit also, any deals on T-Mobile phones would be appreciated

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 20, 2023

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'm on swac on going on a cruise this week. I believe it has free roaming, but will I get a million charges if I attempt to use it on the ship?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Harminoff posted:

I'm on swac on going on a cruise this week. I believe it has free roaming, but will I get a million charges if I attempt to use it on the ship?

I'm not sure about cruise ships but you should have Sprint Global roaming. Which includes unlimited text, and unlimited data at 2G speeds in like 140 countries or something ridiculous. I forget where exactly you can check on this, but I just looked it up for my son's account because he's going to England. So just putz around your plan and add-ons and that crap and make sure it's there.

Unrelated Edit: is this the best deal floating around at the moment? I need a phone with the quickness and it's in stock at my store.
$250 Motorola - Moto G Stylus 5G 256GB (2022 Unlocked) - Seafoam Green (Best Buy)

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 20, 2023

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RodShaft posted:

Hey I have I have 9 months left on by Pixel 6 pro contract thing. It's $10 a month after a $25 credit. The screen has broken. If I just activate another phone on my line do I still get the credit since they're still going to charge me monthly as long as I don't enter into a new monthly phone purchase agreement or whatever? Or do I actually have to have the phone on my line for the credit? I'm on the Sprint grandfathered in swac plan whatever that's called now.

Edit also, any deals on T-Mobile phones would be appreciated

Afaik the credits are a line discount so whatever happens to the phone is irrelevant as long as the line is still active.

I paid off an iPhone early and traded it into apple and the bill credits continues for the rest of the term even with a new phone under the same line

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Afaik the credits are a line discount so whatever happens to the phone is irrelevant as long as the line is still active.

I paid off an iPhone early and traded it into apple and the bill credits continues for the rest of the term even with a new phone under the same line

You forfeit future credits if you get another subsidized phone through T-Mobile, but if you get your next phone elsewhere that's fine.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Thanks. It was written really confusingly on my bill compared to how it looked the last time I subsidized a phone. I also confirmed through their chat that is true as well.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

Harminoff posted:

My understanding is that voice/data while on the ship (using "Cellular at Sea", the satellite connection) is not included and will incur heavy usage fees. While on shore it would be whatever "regular" international roaming.

There is a page here to look up coverage/costs by ship:
https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/international-roaming-plans/cruises

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

heffray posted:

You forfeit future credits if you get another subsidized phone through T-Mobile, but if you get your next phone elsewhere that's fine.

This has not been my experience, you’re saying like you pay off a subsidized phone, still have months of bill credits left and then buy a new one on financing with bill credits? I’ve always continued to get both in that situation.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are either of the 2 (?) 5g hotspots any good? For whatever reason, they both have low ratings:
https://www.t-mobile.com/hotspots-iot-connected-devices
I'm travelling and I only have a 4g phone and am finding I could use higher speeds, haha.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
We have a whole stack of the previous gen inseego MiFis for work and they are great. Good reception and WiFi strength, lots of options in the admin panel, USB tethering Just Works with no drivers even on things like travel routers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if price isn’t a big deal the Inseego Pro is very good. The others are cheap and will likely crumble after a few years.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Whee, looks like Magenta is going to get sunsetted in favor of a even stupider named family of plans named "Go5G" but I am curious what the offerings might be (and if I can truck my free lines and insider discount to yet another plan type):

https://tmo.report/2023/04/rumor-t-mobile-to-launch-new-go5g-plans-retiring-magenta/

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
So apparently starting in may you will need to use a debit card or bank account for auto pay discount. I was looking at my account online and was greeted by a banner telling me to change my payment method since I use a credit card.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s some bullshit if that happens since I get extra money back using my Apple Card.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Yeah, that sucks. Verizon got away with it, so T-Mobile wants to join in. In the meantime you should be able to manually pay early with a CC to still get the discount (and CC-based cell phone insurance) unless/until they squash that loophole.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I honestly don’t want to give them my bank info. Especially after the breaches they had in the past. :negative:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It's annoying but not a big deal for me. I was using a credit card since I figured may as well get some cash back if I'm paying my bill anyway. I'll switch to debit. Definitely don't trust t-mobile with my bank account given their breaches in recent years.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

My Amex Platinum handles phone repairs with a $50 deductible, so if you're paying for phone insurance through tmo and have that card, it's cheaper to ditch the monthly fee and lose the discount.

Also, cell phone protection plans are an enormous money maker for the phone company.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The new plans look kind of lame… but I guess that’s to be expected.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Astro7x posted:

The new plans look kind of lame… but I guess that’s to be expected.

It does seem likely they might start gating best device deals on the new plans, which is not shocking, but we shall see as we get into the fall with iPhone season.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The thing is that it's not worth it for most people on grandfathered plans. My bill would go up by at least $600 a year. I can just buy a new iPhone every two years at MSRP for $1,200 if I wanted to and not switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, it’s pretty bad. I let go of my old unlimited plan for magenta since I actually saved money but not in this case.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

The thing is that it's not worth it for most people on grandfathered plans. My bill would go up by at least $600 a year. I can just buy a new iPhone every two years at MSRP for $1,200 if I wanted to and not switch.

Right, but a lot of general customers won’t realize this, and certainly won’t be presented in that way about it.

Obviously I’m biased, but T-Mobile’s general strategy for the last like, 7 years now has been to undercut on price and then slowly raise it. Most blatantly with saying the Sprint merger would keep prices low (and wouldn’t lead to job cuts which lol of course it did).

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I have an LG V40 ThinQ and T-Mobile has been sending me the wrong SIM card (iPhone X, which is my nephews) and telling me to bring my phone in for a SIM swap. I bring it in to the dealer and they tell me my phone is no longer usable on the T-Mobile network, and I have to upgrade or get it replaced

When I do the IMEI check for my phone, it says it's a valid T-Mobile phone. Am I missing something?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Concurred posted:

I have an LG V40 ThinQ and T-Mobile has been sending me the wrong SIM card (iPhone X, which is my nephews) and telling me to bring my phone in for a SIM swap. I bring it in to the dealer and they tell me my phone is no longer usable on the T-Mobile network, and I have to upgrade or get it replaced

When I do the IMEI check for my phone, it says it's a valid T-Mobile phone. Am I missing something?

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by "the wrong SIM card". T-Mobile has never had device-specific SIMs, so any SIM should work in any device. Is it the wrong size? I don't think the SIM is tied to any particular line until you activate it online.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by "the wrong SIM card". T-Mobile has never had device-specific SIMs, so any SIM should work in any device. Is it the wrong size? I don't think the SIM is tied to any particular line until you activate it online.

I tried putting it into my phone, but my phone never activated on the network, so I eventually always went back to my old one. I didn't realize the envelope was tagged "for iPhone X" until I double checked. The SIM card came inside a little punch-out thing that you can adjust to the size of your phone - I don't know if mine is nano or micro SIM.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

According to GSM arena it is a nano sim. The smallest of the punch and the same size as the as the iphone x. That sim card should fit in the phone.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Concurred posted:

I tried putting it into my phone, but my phone never activated on the network, so I eventually always went back to my old one. I didn't realize the envelope was tagged "for iPhone X" until I double checked. The SIM card came inside a little punch-out thing that you can adjust to the size of your phone - I don't know if mine is nano or micro SIM.

Did you activate the SIM before you inserted it? https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/sim-esim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I recently had to upgrade a phone on my plan. I went on the first day of the new Go5G plans were rolled out so the rep had to keep asking questions from his manager. I had been from Sprint so I had an old "Essentials" plan so my bill used to be $165 for 4 lines plus I got in on the $25 lifetime Home Internet service.

There were 4 days left in my billing cycle. The new plan they sold me was going to be $220 + the $25 for Home internet. I went with this because it gave me $800 off the new phone and I now qualify for freebies like Netflix and Apple TV which I sub to anyway so the price increase was basically a wash. However I got a new bill and they kind of screwed me and I want to know if this is normal to do what they did?

We got a bill with a “plan change charge” of $101. We had also received $80 for trading in the old phone so this more than erased that, and this charge was never disclosed when we bought the phone and upgraded the plan.

On the bill it also showed that I had a bill of $345, not $220. The rep I spoke to tried could not explain what the charges were. Now, I know the Go5G plans were brand new but I couldn't get a clear explanation. Finally she said something that basically amounted to “we pretty much have to charge you for the old plan and the new plan for that month.” I asked to speak to someone higher hoping they might be able to explain the charge or could maybe confirm that is the policy. I was more than happy to pay a prorated difference for the higher plan for the 4 days we were on it, but they didn't prorate anything, they just charged me for a month of service for both plans. In the end, they credited $70 so we still paid $31 for basically 4 days. Which isn’t ideal but I’d been on the phone for over an hour and needed to get my kid to bed. I can see next month's bill is going to be the $220 + $25 that I expected so it's just this 4 day double billing issue.

Did I get hosed? Or did I gently caress up and that's normal? What should I do or can I even do anything?