Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Ahh, Billingsley's old arch nemesis... sentence structure.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pizza box in the first panel is the joke here. Either Bets is holding it real weird or it has a perspective problem.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Please do not mock Bets' tiny arm. She has family in the Mark Trail universe.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just because ridiculously elaborate prom invitations are a trend doesn't mean that they beat the direct approach of just asking the woman.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Just because ridiculously elaborate prom invitations are a trend doesn't mean that they beat the direct approach of just asking the woman.

The prior comic considered that the “mature” approach, hence Jeremy’s concern.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Willy the Djinn

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 20, 1935)

Peanuts (February 6, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 21, 1989)

Dinkleshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 5, 1939)

Out Our Way (December 26-28, 1940)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

Oh, looks like some of these are out of order; shouldn't matter too much but here're some strips from the earlier consultant story.

ANSU

Fingerpori

Edit:
Über alles = German for "above all", part of the slogan "Germany above all" (or "Germans"?)
Über = that awful not-taxi company
allesi (slang alles) = (have something) under you
Über alles = (have) Über under you
There's a Finnish idiomatic phrasing of having X under you, where X refers to whatever vehicle you're riding/driving.

I totally missed the "alles" part of the pun and assumed the strip was just a reference to Über the company, but Shaman Tank Spec kindly notified me:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As an additional (untranslatable) joke, the term "über alles" can be read either as German or a mixture of German and Finnish. The Finnish word "allesi" means "underneath you" and can be used in a kind of "ota tuosta auto allesi", "take that car underneath you" -> "go drive in that car". And of course with the so called apokope in spoken casual Finnish an ending vowel is often dropped, for instance "pistä pipo päähäsi", "put a tuque on your head", can become "pistä pipo päähäs".

And so "über alles" can be read as "take that über underneath you", "take that über".

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 3, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

As an additional (untranslatable) joke, the term "über alles" can be read either as German or a mixture of German and Finnish. The Finnish word "allesi" means "underneath you" and can be used in a kind of "ota tuosta auto allesi", "take that car underneath you" -> "go drive in that car". And of course with the so called apokope in spoken casual Finnish an ending vowel is often dropped, for instance "pistä pipo päähäsi", "put a tuque on your head", can become "pistä pipo päähäs".

And so "über alles" can be read as "take that über underneath you", "take that über".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:allears:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Thanks I didn't get it at all.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

I'm all for this.

Mark Trail

This better not be the end of the bassigator hunt story.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

This better not be the end of the bassigator hunt story.

Jules is clearly bored of the absurdly lame story she decided to tell so it likely is unless we get a really bad Simpsons style plot extension.

quote:

The Phantom

LMAO just make this strip about Phantom and Sarvana kicking fascist rear end everywhere tia.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EBB posted:

Pizza box in the first panel is the joke here. Either Bets is holding it real weird or it has a perspective problem.
I legitimately thought it was supposed to be a textbook until I saw her opening it in the next panel.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oooh, of course! I totally missed that, thanks. I'll add this under the comic.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Quote is not edit, my first time doing this!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I mean...they've been together for a while now; wouldn't it have come up naturally in conversation at some point, or at least taken for granted that if they were interested in the dance, they'd go together?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The parents presumably know she's not paying rent. She's definitely rich enough to pay rent if they asked, but apparently they haven't.

She is partying right now, but not there; she's going to a dorm party. So they're planning to lie. Cool. Great friend behavior.

Gil THorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 3, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Murder them for us Winnie

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/26-28/50

The dog is quoting a variation of an old nursery rhyme.

Archie 6/3-5/46

"T.L." was a phrase George Burns and Gracie Allen often used on their radio show -- but none of the sources I can find agree on what it stood for. One source suggests "tough luck," which fits how Archie is using it here.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fun and Games and Cultural Murder

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Selachian posted:

Pogo 1/26-28/50

The dog is quoting a variation of an old nursery rhyme.

Archie 6/3-5/46

"T.L." was a phrase George Burns and Gracie Allen often used on their radio show -- but none of the sources I can find agree on what it stood for. One source suggests "tough luck," which fits how Archie is using it here.

Never understood why Veronica and Betty hang out if Archie is always trying to go after Veronica.
Also does Betty have awful foot odor or halitosis? Or just a case of you only want what you can’t have?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This guy is rapidly approaching Count Dante levels of facial hair (and potentially violent rivalry)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Never understood why Veronica and Betty hang out if Archie is always trying to go after Veronica.
Also does Betty have awful foot odor or halitosis? Or just a case of you only want what you can’t have?

Archie is too silly to recognize how good he has it with Betty. That raven haired seductress clouds his head.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
LOL at all of you refusing to accept that Archie and Miss Grundy are soulmates.
Sad really.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
We really didn't give Riverdale enough credit...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: GOD, Gir's art is SO GOOD, or timg'd and spoilered for male nudity, or The cavalry has arrived! So, uh... are you guys... gonna do anything, or...?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 03, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens