Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wilkes-Barre is easy, now say Lebanon, Bala Cynwyd, or Schuylkill correctly

Deeply curious how you pronounce Lebanon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mossyfisk posted:

Deeply curious how you pronounce Lebanon.

it is hilariously "leb-nin"

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
cairo il is a midwest favorite

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
There are places in Ohio named rio grand, Versailles and Russia. Pronounced rye-oh grand, vur-sales, and roo-she by the locals. I'm sure this is only scratching the surface

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Personal fave: Bellefontaine, Ohio

pronounced, you guessed it, Bell Fountain

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chicago area is full of mispronounced French names.

My favorite is Bourbonnais. It was pronounced "Bur-bonus" for decades before the city passed a resolution stating the proper French pronunciation.

Imo if the French want their language pronounced properly they shouldn't cram it full of silent letters

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
there's a gravois street i live near in st louis and i still want to 'mispronounce' it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My high school German teacher (in Ohio) would get really frustrated at the local pronunciation of Berlin, Ohio (BURR-ln)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Very long piece in the Columbia Journalism Review about the NYT chasing Russiagate when it was nothin' at all...nothin' at all...nothin' at all.

https://www.cjr.org/special_report/trumped-up-press-versus-president-ed-note.php

First part was an incredible read just for the closeness between campaigns, journalists, and top feds

I love the little song and dance about the dossier news. A top McCain aide "stepped out of the room" while a journalist at a c tier publication photographed the dossier, then that place told the fbi they were going to publish, so comey said he had to brief trump, and the briefing was was cnn rt Al used to justify reporting on it. Huge amount of kabuki

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Feb 1, 2023

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gawker dead again, rip they had some ok articles here and there

https://twitter.com/leahfinnegan/status/1620785743139590144

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I am as shocked as anyone to learn there was a relaunch of Gawker

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

No! No! I need to see Hulk Hogan loving some radio personality's wife! Who's gonna publish this kind of hard hitting news now that Gawker is shut down again!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

No! No! I need to see Hulk Hogan loving some radio personality's wife! Who's gonna publish this kind of hard hitting news now that Gawker is shut down again!

dumb take, they published epstein's black book when nobody else would

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Every big newspapers are apparently planning 5 to 10% layoffs. Gawker going down make sense.

brugroffil posted:

Imo if the French want their language pronounced properly they shouldn't cram it full of silent letters
Nah, we want you to keep butchering them until the end of time, we will just mock you for it until you force your reluctant locals to relearn how to pronounce it "correctly". They won't but that's still funny. :france:
My favorite us style mispronunciation of a french word is "Coup de Grace" (blow of mercy, pronounced like the grace in "amazing grace") which US people tend to pronounce "Coup de Gras" (blow of fat, like mardi gras or fois gras) At least it kinda make sense with US' love of wresting and of body slam. On the other hand, if you really want to pronounce the T of Croissant that much (because of the way you detect/pronounce plurals), just use the direct translation "Crescent".

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Feb 1, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
as a US citizen i cannot get enough of wrestling and of body slam

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

the milk machine posted:

as a US citizen i cannot get enough of wrestling and of body slam
We would happily send you another giant if we could only find one. The last one was quite happy in the US.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Toplowtech posted:

We would happily send you another giant if we could only find one. The last one was quite happy in the US.

andre was cool. another cool frenchperson was napoleon bonaparte imo. i like his little outfits

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Toplowtech posted:

you sent the next chosen one to Russia

now it's Americas turn again tho

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

it is hilariously "leb-nin"

vladimir libnin

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Toplowtech posted:

My favorite us style mispronunciation of a french word is "Coup de Grace" (blow of mercy, pronounced like the grace in "amazing grace") which US people tend to pronounce "Coup de Gras" (blow of fat, like mardi gras or fois gras) At least it kinda make sense with US' love of wresting and of body slam.

it's because they're hamburger people

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Gawker was a rag, rip in piss

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Toplowtech posted:

He loved the small town that he settled down in. They all called him Mr. Roussimoff and didn't bug him because he was famous or made him feel weird for being huge. He got to drink wine and play hearts with regulars at the cafe.

Probably close to heaven for the guy.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

p funny, tcw is such a worm

https://twitter.com/leahfinnegan/status/1620855236549296129

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

he is but reporting that a guy loves alex jones enough to appear at his film premiere or whatever seems like a pretty easy mistake to not make if you're a remotely competent journalist

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
There's a even shittier place outside the shithole of Augusta, Georgia by the name of Martinez.

It's pronounced MARtin-ehz. The locals have no idea what the gently caress you are talking about if you say it the normal way.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

GalacticAcid posted:

the failing new york times are cutting their copy desk in half so it's gonna be even shittier now lol

read all about it!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

cat botherer posted:

There's a even shittier place outside the shithole of Augusta, Georgia by the name of Martinez.

It's pronounced MARtin-ehz. The locals have no idea what the gently caress you are talking about if you say it the normal way.

Don’t forget Ubatoi (pronounced yoo-buh-toy), and Vienna (pronounced Vye-enna). Supposedly the latter at least has a banger BBQ festival.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Whoops, that was in 2017. It already happened.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zvahl posted:

there's a gravois street i live near in st louis and i still want to 'mispronounce' it

Gravois (and Illinois) is pronounced correctly, the vowel lengthening in French that produced the modern pronunciation was post-1800, so using it in St. Louis would be anachronistic. That's different from something like Cairo that is obviously just a mispronunciation of an exotic word.

We do have our own Bell Fountain neighbors though. And I'm suspicious about Creeve Coeur.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://twitter.com/Atrios/status/1621042074517741569

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

:barf: The room where torture happens...

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Don’t forget Ubatoi (pronounced yoo-buh-toy), and Vienna (pronounced Vye-enna). Supposedly the latter at least has a banger BBQ festival.

Sausages ONLY!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Toplowtech posted:

You'll be back, it's my law
You've got bones and look I've got a saw

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Toplowtech posted:

AKA Tom Friedman’s office

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1621539760488517634

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
Love the Times.

Desantis is "taking on" the establishment, i.e., turning the entire Florida higher education system into Liberty U.

Meanwhile, Bret Stephens' ex talks about how campus "free speech" was threatened by communication guidelines issued by a single Stanford department that were never adopted anywhere. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/03/opinion/free-speech-stanford.html

Lol. We got op-eds about the collapse of the health care "system" and racist policing next to lifestyle bullshit and Catholic griping about woke culture. It's the paper where coherent thought goes to die. Ideological diversity making everyone dumber.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Love Rat posted:

Love the Times.

Desantis is "taking on" the establishment, i.e., turning the entire Florida higher education system into Liberty U.

Meanwhile, Bret Stephens' ex talks about how campus "free speech" was threatened by communication guidelines issued by a single Stanford department that were never adopted anywhere. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/03/opinion/free-speech-stanford.html

Lol. We got op-eds about the collapse of the health care "system" and racist policing next to lifestyle bullshit and Catholic griping about woke culture. It's the paper where coherent thought goes to die. Ideological diversity making everyone dumber.

They have Kenken though

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Love Rat posted:

Love the Times.

I used to think that the Post was the worse of the two papers because of McFardle and Bedbug. Maybe not...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

featuring this quote with attribution in this way is v funny to me

https://twitter.com/onyxcollective/status/1620513146497822720

wait theres been a 1619 project series on hulu this whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol at how rattled he is by random people on twitter

https://twitter.com/jonathanchait/status/1622245735759548416?t=DhclV0_b1SQ9cvdsXy-NQQ&s=19