Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Spoeank posted:

Thank you everybody. 🙂 She should be all good and our settlement should include a cut out for our health insurance expenses that the health insurance provider can't touch, so no Kickstarter or anything. I just needed to vent.

She had a doctor's appointment Friday and they did all kinds of nerve tests. Should she not aggravate it, everything should be alright. The "hey you might be paraplegic" followed by "it should go away on its own" was certainly a shock to the system though.

This is terrifying, hoping the best for her and you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I just drove past a realtor office that had a not-insignificantly sized canvas print of sexy Costanza posing on the couch front and center in their front window lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Let's gooooo

https://twitter.com/AvatarNews_/status/1621232367032766464?t=64kO5wSW7ev-uWPN1TR62Q&s=19

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve never had the wallet for really expensive bottles but I’ve consumed a fair bit and honestly, unless you’re a real connoisseur, Evan Williams stacks up to a lot of mid range bottles in competition year after year.

Jack Daniels won the marketing war after prohibition but Evan Williams had the original black bottle and was the actual working class whisky of yore.

It occupied a pretty regular spot for a general sipping whisky in my cabinet for years without breaking the bank and honestly outside of maybe Bulleit Rye, was my favorite hard liquor I kept on-hand.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Like Leper said, once you get past a certain price point you’re basically paying for the prestige of saying you spent x hundreds of dollars on a bottle of booze. I’ve found that the scale for all of this slides up by $15-20 with Japanese whisky since they don’t make as much of it and it’s more expensive to ship to the US for some reason. In general I won’t spend above $80-85 for most, but with Japanese I’m willing to extend that up to $100-120 for something truly special. I’ve also noticed that they’ve been getting better expressions at a lower price point; the first time I had Suntory’s Toki it was very harsh and almost astringent, but I had a bottle recently that was exceptionally smooth and easy to drink. The price on that one is about $10 cheaper than it was when it first arrived stateside too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm working on my wedding registry, and uh... we already have almost everything in our house.

What are some things to add that aren't gonna break the bank?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

seiferguy posted:

I'm working on my wedding registry, and uh... we already have almost everything in our house.

Honeymoon funds

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

A friend who wasn't able to attend our wedding dropped by my office a few days later to give me a wedding gift. He said to me, "You won't know you'll need it until you do, and then you'll be so thankful you have it."

It was an electric carving knife. And he wasn't wrong.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

seiferguy posted:

Expensive whisky. Let me know if anyone wants to buy some.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

seiferguy posted:

It’s hard not to fall into the trap of putting things on there you think you should. Honeymoon fund is a really good one that we didn’t think to do, but really should have.

Of the things we were glad to have:
-new grill
-good beach chairs (or outdoor chairs)
-nice cooler

We had bunch of stuff on there we realized we didn’t need so we ended up returning some things for store credit and got a Dyson. That was a great idea.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I put a 48" plasma tv (which was hot poo poo at the time) on my wedding list ...

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Wife and I had managed to live together for 5 years before getting married, so our registry was pretty small. If you have all you need I cannot recommend enough asking for :20bux: to put towards your honeymoon.

We got enough money to put towards a Norwegian cruise up to Alaska and I have zero regrets about that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I put a 48" plasma tv (which was hot poo poo at the time) on my wedding list ...

My groomsmen gave me a 42" plasma TV as their wedding gift to replace the 15-year-old 27" Sony CRT that I'd been using forever.

Lost the wife, but kept the TV until last fall, when I gave it as a hand-me-down to my ex-girlfriend to help build out her new apartment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Honeymoon fund is good, a couple of friends put a fund for a new bed on their registry, or maybe just a new mattress?. Maybe put a couch fund or something on there if people are giving you a hard time about not putting physical goods on your registry (also gently caress those people).

Definitely good to keep a trim registry, we ended up hopping between rentals for several years after getting married and had a bunch of wedding gifts that just stayed in boxes until we were finally able to buy a place. Not ideal!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ArmandDoma/status/1621971518086602753

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

You're good people and I love you all and hope you're doing well.

yes I've been drinking.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

yes I've been drinking.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Quiet Feet posted:

yes I've been drinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFC86lqmZoQ

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Called Panera for carry out. They would not take my gift card. They got the order wrong with soup instead of salad. They even asked “Do you want chicken on the salad” and I don’t know how that turned into broccoli cheese soup. I asked for chips instead of bread, they gave bread. They very much got my name wrong. I’m never going back there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Are you sure they just didn’t deliver the wrong order?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bird in a Blender posted:

Are you sure they just didn’t deliver the wrong order?
The three sandwiches were correct, my mac and cheese was correct, but my uncle's salad was changed to soup somehow.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

The three sandwiches were correct, my mac and cheese was correct, but my uncle's salad was changed to soup somehow.

What you're witnessing is one of Jesus's lesser miracles.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Quiet Feet posted:

What you're witnessing is one of Jesus's lesser miracles.

I don't know, I'd kill for a Greek salad with chicken from Panera right now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

27 hours of travel, we finally got to Phuket around 8 am, hosed around until we got to our hotel at 2, check in and did the beach, ate, drinks, then around 4 pm local time we put our heads down for a quick nap before going out for the evening

roughly 15 hours later we woke up.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Let's get up and go to dinner!

eh...Phuket

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Man, here’s wishing the best for you and Mrs. Spoeank!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

27 hours of travel, we finally got to Phuket around 8 am, hosed around until we got to our hotel at 2, check in and did the beach, ate, drinks, then around 4 pm local time we put our heads down for a quick nap before going out for the evening

You should take a walk down the same street with and without your missus and see the poo poo people yell at you when you're solo as opposed to with someone.

Because that poo poo becomes hilarious.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

FizFashizzle posted:

My wife and I went to Cambodia and Vietnam for our honeymoon and did the same thing. We set an alarm for an hour nap and then slept for 14 hours and woke up at 3 in the morning.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Have any of the dudes in here had swelling in their perineum and what did it end up being. Got a visit to the doc but it’s a few days away so freaking out

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

We did a honeymoon fund registry but split it up into individual items that people could choose to help with (plane tickets fund, meal fund, booze fund, etc). It all went to the same place in the end of course

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

Have any of the dudes in here had swelling in their perineum and what did it end up being. Got a visit to the doc but it’s a few days away so freaking out

Please go to doctor, my friend

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

You probably just pulled your taint

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Someone needs a better grundle guard while biking.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Guys guys guys, let the medical professional weigh in.

He is clearly about to have a butt baby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WehTrco1Bbw

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pron on VHS posted:

It was the after effect of getting the hair lasered off but I was expecting that. It will end up being $4k.

Was that too much information?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

It was the after effect of getting the hair lasered off but I was expecting that. It will end up being $4k.

Was that too much information?

lol at paying 4 thousand smackers to not have to shave your grundle every few days

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
We did an improptu memorial/ash scattering yesterday when we went to see my folks. It was on the Cowlitz river and there were a bunch of smelt swimming up stream. We got questioned briefly by a fish and wild life dude who left pretty quick when he realized we weren't dipping or pocketing smelt. It was emotional but good.

Also my mom is really annoyed at a bunch of her customers for being anti-vaxx but it comes with the job when you work 4pm-1am at a gas station.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Finally started watching the new Willow series and I'll probably finish it but it has a high-budget CW vibe to it and leans way too hard on snappy banter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

Is Phuket still all Russian dudes or have the Chinese tourists made it that far south?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My favorite air traffic control audio & graphics channel has the fedex near miss up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjoDn8zQgb8

You can listen to what the pilots and tower say.

I've listened to lots and lots of these. Plenty of cases where the departing pilots are told of the inbound traffic, the distance and the plane type, and the inbound traffic is also told of the plane ahead of them and type. That's all very normal.

Tower confirms that SW is "on the roll" which is due diligence because if SW hadn't been rolling yet he'd immediately tell the inbound fedex to go around.

I think I agree that this is still tower's fault, in that if tower can't see that the runway is being cleared in time they need to tell fedex to go around and they didn't verify visually. But this may also be partly on SW because despite confirming rolling, they didn't get going in a timely manner. When inbound is on 3 mi approach you either get on the runway and go immediately or you hold short (and tell tower you're going to) and wait.

Fortunately there's multiple layers of safety here. Nobody is solely responsible for the safety of the airport and aircraft: inbound pilots, outbound pilots, and tower share responsibility. That's why the protocol is to keep all parties informed of the situation, and at uncontrolled airports (those with no air traffic control) pilots inform each other of their intentions, arrange their landings, etc. Every pilot learns how to do that stuff long long before they're put in the seat of a passenger jet. So the pilots in the air telling the pilots on the ground abort is totally appropriate, and the pilots on the ground telling them that it's too late to abort is also totally appropriate.

Also there's a reason landing aircraft have to have full flaps, keep engines sped up, and stay well above stall speed; at any point they can and should be able to abort, and pilots practice touch-and-go as a basic part of training.

Basically, this was a near miss but after the initial errors were made, everyone did what they were supposed to as they dealt with the situation, including staying calm.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 6, 2023