Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

remember magicka? that was a wizard game

i didn't remember, but now i do. ty, magicka was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

reminded me that i used to buy weed from a guy who wrote game reviews by "day". i wonder how that guy survives now that weed is legal -- i imagine these days most folks don't want their weed from a garbage bag in the corner of an oakland apartment littered with game controllers and pizza boxes

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

magicka was pretty ok and helldivers was very good.. hope arrowhead has something else in the works

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

reminded me that i used to buy weed from a guy who wrote game reviews by "day". i wonder how that guy survives now that weed is legal -- i imagine these days most folks don't want their weed from a garbage bag in the corner of an oakland apartment littered with game controllers and pizza boxes

or possibly they pay extra

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Fool posted:

harry potter isn't even the best "boy goes to magic school" novel by a woman author

Le Guin is overrated

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I still play helldivers every once in a while its as close as u can get to starship troopers

Speaking of anyone play the new one is it good

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

hogfarts

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Roosevelt posted:

remember magicka? that was a wizard game
i really want a modern fps that uses magicka's spell system

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mr. Crow posted:

Le Guin is overrated

unbelievably wrong take

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Crow posted:

Le Guin is overrated

a) wrong

b) there are even more better british wizard school authors than just her

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
watched a stream of the hogwarts game and it looks fun and obviously a labor of love from the dev team, it’s weird that there’s no thread to discuss it - would rather have people have it out then censor folks

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mad Wack posted:

watched a stream of the hogwarts game and it looks fun and obviously a labor of love from the dev team, it’s weird that there’s no thread to discuss it - would rather have people have it out then censor folks

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PokeJoe posted:

I decided to actually read the ign review and lol that's a pretty accurate summary of it. Here it is so you don't have to go to their bad website.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
that's actually me wrt to the whole hp ip since w/e tae gently caress it came out

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Mad Wack posted:

We're not censoring, we're ostracizing.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Mad Wack posted:

that's mad wack

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Not a fan of the Dwarf Fortress steam release then I take it

speaking of which I’ve found a very soothing pattern of making 25x25 sections between four 3x3 stairwells and it’s really making things very pleasant to work with and plan around

I’m nearly 100h into this game. I’ve never been hooked on a SP game like this

incredible game, absolutely fantastic

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

that's actually me wrt to the whole hp ip since w/e tae gently caress it came out

:same:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

speaking of which I’ve found a very soothing pattern of making 25x25 sections between four 3x3 stairwells and it’s really making things very pleasant to work with and plan around

I’m nearly 100h into this game. I’ve never been hooked on a SP game like this

incredible game, absolutely fantastic

cool, here's the steam store page in case it goes down:

quote:

“You've got to play Dwarf Fortress to truly understand the madness of its creators – and of its biggest fans.”
WIRED

“It's in systems that the beauty of their game lies, systems that are capable of generating in minutes worlds that contain more richness than some entire game franchises.”
Polygon

“[...] Once you’re hooked, it feels vast, enveloping, alive.”
New York Times

ABOUT THIS GAME
Prepare for the deepest, most intricate simulation of a world that has ever been created.

Not just generated geometry -- a whole simulated world. Generated rise and fall of civilizations, personalities, creatures, cultures, etc. Infinite hours of gameplay.
Now with beautiful pixel graphics!
Learn the basics with in-game tutorials
A lifetime “living” project - created/updated since 2003, with no end in sight
Generate your unique world and manage a bustling colony of dwarves, even as they probably mine towards their eventual demise.
A new endless hobby, just for you!

The legendary Dwarf Fortress is now on Steam! Build a fortress and try to help your dwarves survive, despite threats of starvation, dragons, and madness.

In this complex construction/management/roguelike simulation, every generated world brings a unique challenge, whether it’s dwarves with their own simulated personalities or aquifers. Observe what makes your civilization fall into eventual decline, and learn for next time… until something else inevitably goes wrong.

The combat model includes skills, body parts, material properties, aimed attacks, wrestling, pain, nausea, various poison effects, and much more.

It’s difficult to convey the depth of the generation. Hundreds of animals and monsters, many of which are randomly created for each world, as well as generated poetry, musical forms, instruments, and dances for your dwarves to practice and perform. A dynamic weather model tracks wind, humidity, and air masses to create fronts, clouds, storms, and blizzards. Over two hundred rock and mineral types can appear, in their proper geological environments.

Remember: Losing is fun!

Nothing substantial is new or changed, under the hood. It’s still good old Dwarf Fortress, but with graphics support and music by default. A few bells and whistles won’t change that.

You may already be familiar with the tile set mod packs from Michał “Mayday” Madej and Jacob "Ironhand" Bowman. Together, their efforts are creating an all-new tileset featuring brand new pixel art by artists Carolyn Jong and Neoriceisgood. Dwarf Fortress Steam edition will have a 15 track soundtrack by Dabu, Simon Swerwer and Águeda Macias including tracks in the Dwarvish language!

It's never been easier to start playing! We've improved the new player experience with the addition of tutorials to guide you through building your first fort and keeping your dwarves happy.

Command your dwarves as they search for wealth in their generated mountain. Your dwarves will need a steady supply of food and beer, but they’ll also need your guidance in surviving attacks from hostile civilizations, the wilderness, or even the dead.

Craft treasures and furnitures from various materials
Establish a barony and support the increasingly demanding nobility
Read your dwarves’ thoughts to keep them happy
Build floodgates to divert water for farming, and/or prevent magma mishaps
Build structures and watch your dwarves discover and build their culture, like taverns, libraries, temples, honey, wax, pottery, animal training, bookbinding, and more.

The original inspiration for RimWorld, Prison Architect, Minecraft and more.
One of the first video games acquired by the Museum of Modern Art in New York
Updated for over 16 years by two brothers, Tarn “Toady One” and Zach “Threetoe” Adams

With the goal of simulating all of existence, Bay 12 estimates they’re only about 44% done.
READ MORE
MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION
The developers describe the content like this:

Dwarf Fortress contains textual descriptions of violence, and static 2D sprites that may have violent ends. Alcohol consumption is required for a dwarven fortress to run smoothly, as described in text. Dwarves can experience mental anguish, and in extreme cases this can lead to them taking their own lives or the lives of others.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Dual Core CPU - 2.4GHz+
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 1GB of VRAM: Intel HD 3000 GPU / AMD HD 5450 / Nvidia 9400 GT
Storage: 500 MB available space
Additional Notes: Requires 64 bit processor and operating system
RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Dual Core CPU - 4GHz+
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Storage: 500 MB available space
See all
MORE FROM KITFOX GA

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i will probably buy the hogwarts game because my fiance enjoys harry potter. the most impactful moral decision of my life and i'm gonna gently caress it up

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

I was gonna say just play the harry potter game if you want, but this is atrocious

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
play lost judgement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXufyWdCa_U

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Truman Peyote posted:

i will probably buy the hogwarts game because my fiance enjoys harry potter. the most impactful moral decision of my life and i'm gonna gently caress it up

or, and just hear me out on this one: don't!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

or, and just hear me out on this one: don't!

it's okay to enjoy problematic media, but from that video harry potter game is just garbage

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

just simply do not purchase the transphobia game. and if you must, stop trying to justify why you are

it's super weird how glib people are being about it!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe posted:

just simply do not purchase the transphobia game. and if you must, stop trying to justify why you are

is there explicit transphobia in the game? I doubt it. it's just garbage

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
like it's not even good just forget about it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

like it's not even good just forget about it

don't describe your posts

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Cat Face Joe posted:

there's nothing transphobic in the game

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Truman Peyote posted:

i recommend inviting your partner to read literally anything else and buying something cool instead

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

there's nothing transphobic in the game

I played all the yakuza games, and there was actual gay panic transphobia in it. they fixed it by giving that character a story about how they left a biker gang because they were trans and started a bar where trans people could hang out safely

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
compare that with the GTA games which people shouldn't be buying

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cat Face Joe posted:

It lets u play as a trans wizard wow what a transphobic game!!!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lol this was literally a Viz "letter" years ago:

"JK Rowling" apparently posted:

Sir,

I was concerned to hear about the rise in winter fuel costs for old people and the effect it may have, but then I remembered I was jk rowling and laughed as I threw another bundle of £50 notes into the fire.

Yours,

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cat Face Joe posted:

hell hath no fury like an "ally" lightly inconvenienced

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Just read Pratchett (esp. Tiffany Aching) and move on with your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

pratchett is wonderful and i still don't think any video game could do discworld justice (yet)