Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Voyager I posted:

The example you listed was some frictionless vacuum hypothetical with as much connection to reality as those Walmart employee finance guides that assume you don't own a car or heat your apartment.

It's not a useful reference point for the actual starting costs of captioning. I'm not arguing against captioning, but that's not a realistic example.

Okay. . .but as I said you can just do google and see how similar that estimate on that blog is to the actual prices people are charging for the service or listen to the person who posted in the thread and said who did something similar and the price didn't sound outlandish to them.

Lmao drat, was this always the end game for assigned seating? Seems very dumb and I say that as someone who generally prefers to sit in the front as long as it's not a 3D movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I’ve been getting emails from MoviePass about their re-launch. Perhaps they’ll save the theaters? :buddy:

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Having worked in the industry, that kind of seat pricing is extremely normal for live theatre. I'm actually surprised it took this long to jump to movie theaters. No idea if it will work out. I know that I wouldn't even blink to buy tickets that way for a live performance, but I think I'd probably be annoyed to do the same for a movie.

On the other hand, I'm hardly the target demographic, given that I don't think I've been to a movie theater in like three years.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lemony posted:

On the other hand, I'm hardly the target demographic, given that I don't think I've been to a movie theater in like three years.

Why, did something happen about three years ago?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zugzwang posted:

I’ve been getting emails from MoviePass about their re-launch. Perhaps they’ll save the theaters? :buddy:
Isn’t this the re-re-launch? I’ve lost track

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

quote:

AMC Stubs A-List members will be able to reserve seats in the Preferred Sightline Section at no additional cost.

Sounds like they're just trying to push people towards AMC's subscription service (which is good value if you like to watch movies). But I also get the feeling that they'll slowly start pushing the price up on A-List, which I think already got a $1/mo increase this year?

GrandpaPants has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Feb 6, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn’t this the re-re-launch? I’ve lost track
They have to be one of the most baffling companies ever. In 2018, my wife and I both joined with a prepaid $8/mo plan. Tickets cost like $15 per person where we lived at the time. If we went to the movies even once a month - and we did - MoviePass was losing money on us.

I assumed from the pricing that it was some kind of temporary movie studio investment set up to harvest data on moviegoing habits. Nope. The company was just that dumb.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zugzwang posted:

If we went to the movies even once a month - and we did - MoviePass was losing money on us.

They were hoping to make it up in volume.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

That person who said they bought a black panther movie ticket via that app subscription just to use the bathrooms which were better than the malls bathroom was the best use of that service. Godspeed you, man.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

value-brand cereal posted:

That person who said they bought a black panther movie ticket via that app subscription just to use the bathrooms which were better than the malls bathroom was the best use of that service. Godspeed you, man.
That’s a lol

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Who tf goes to movie theaters lmao

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do, most films do in fact look better on a larger-than-life screen.

But man the big theaters have problems. (I do wonder if they might do better if their pre-shows weren't the chintziest poo poo imaginable.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Here's how I would improve the (AMC) theater-going experience.

- 3 trailers at most per movie, instead of like, 15-20 min worth of trailers.
- Get rid of Nicole Kidman's promo thing. Goddamn.
- Get rid of IMAX/Dolby promo thing. Like we're already in the drat theater.

There, that saves everyone like 15 minutes of their life each time they go to the theater.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The worst part of the movie theater experience is the people. I’d pay a premium if theaters policed and chucked out disruptive audience members.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Here's how I would improve the (AMC) theater-going experience.

- 3 trailers at most per movie, instead of like, 15-20 min worth of trailers.
- Get rid of Nicole Kidman's promo thing. Goddamn.
- Get rid of IMAX/Dolby promo thing. Like we're already in the drat theater.

There, that saves everyone like 15 minutes of their life each time they go to the theater.

Trailers are fine, it's the commercials for other things that are the problem.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Vegetable posted:

The worst part of the movie theater experience is not being able to smoke weed during the movie.

FTFY. :colbert:

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
How else Will i know what Maria menudos is up to?? The gas pump??

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

value-brand cereal posted:

lmao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
A movie theater is one of the places I feel least safe these days which sucks because that was my favorite thing to do. I got Movie Pass before the big price slash (although hilariously because I needed to turn it off during a broke patch they said if I could cancel I could never come back, their business was always bad even before the gimmick) and it was even worth it to me then (although, just barely). But yeah no more signing up for movie pass to me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
iMax Dolby is great because of all the insane stuff they do.

Here's a cow. Now it's a chopper. Now it's overhead. Now an alien ray is scanning your butt.

Plus all the visuals. I used to love the dumb digital CD thing that Cineplex Odeon used to run to let you know you were listening in full DTS splendor.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

How else Will i know what Maria menudos is up to?? The gas pump??

Lol

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

They have to be one of the most baffling companies ever. In 2018, my wife and I both joined with a prepaid $8/mo plan. Tickets cost like $15 per person where we lived at the time. If we went to the movies even once a month - and we did - MoviePass was losing money on us.

I assumed from the pricing that it was some kind of temporary movie studio investment set up to harvest data on moviegoing habits. Nope. The company was just that dumb.

Their hope was to get a big enough foothold that movie studios would invest in them to set up data harvesting on moviegoing habits (or theaters would invest in them because subsidizing the ticket cost was worth the concessions profits), but it never happened.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAy7GIMpTk
AMC offers upgrade to Schlaaang super seats when??

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

There isn't even an AMC theater near me, but I did go to a movie theater a few days ago out of sheer boredom. I paid for a specific seat in one of the small screen rooms for Puss in Boots, but ended up watching the latter half of Megan, and then going to the movie I paid for and watching the latter half of it. How strict is AMC about movie hopping during slow hours?

Space Robot has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Feb 6, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Space Robot posted:

There isn't even an AMC theater near me, but I did go to a movie theater a few days ago out of sheer boredom. I paid for a specific seat in one of the small screen rooms for Puss in Boots, but ended up watching the latter half of Megan, and then going to the movie I paid for and watching the latter half of it. How strict is AMC about movie hopping during slow hours?

Assigned seating at least at the theaters I go to is kind of a suggestion.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Rick posted:

Yeah, maybe it's because I don't go to big releases on opening night/weekend, but it's been a very long time since I've been in a theater with more than a handful of people in it (and that goes back to pre covid).

Which is the big difference between movies and live theater as some goon brought up earlier - you can charge more for better seats if it's pretty much the only way people can get those seats. (and they can't just wait until the day of to see what's available)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
In the before times, the Alamo Drafthouse down the street from my last place had you choose seats when you bought your tickets. When you sat down, you had to set your ticket on the little table each seat had, and the servers would make rounds before the movie started to make sure you were in the right spot before taking your ticket.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I had a wild experience seeing Broker at a Regal theater last month. There were no pre-show ads and no trailers or promos except a brief clip of Koreeda saying "I hope you like my movie". The people who showed up 15 minutes after showtime must've been pissed when they realized that they had missed the whole opening sequence.

(Whatever executive signed off on giving Broker a wide release in the hope that it would be the next Parasite must have been pissed too, but for a different reason.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rick posted:

From my experience working at a theater for my first job, unless the manager is breathing down your neck, if the house isn't packed, I don't think the 17 year old making minimum wage sweeping floors is really going to give too much of a poo poo if you're sitting out of your seat.

Really the only way I can think it would become a problem is if whoever actually bought those seats makes a big deal about it, which happens sometimes, even if there's maybe 10 people in the screening. In that case, just move to a different seat.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Vegetable posted:

The worst part of the movie theater experience is the people. I’d pay a premium if theaters policed and chucked out disruptive audience members.

Alamo Drafthouse does this. At least they used to. There was an AP frontpage article about this in recent years that claimed PoC were being removed more frequently than other demographics, so it's possible they've changed their policies since then.

e: I can't seem to locate the AP article. It's the only news I read, but I guess it's possible I read about that here on SA.

Ofecks has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Feb 7, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ofecks posted:

Alamo Drafthouse does this. At least they used to. There was an AP frontpage article about this in recent years that claimed PoC were being removed more frequently than other demographics, so it's possible they've changed their policies since then.

e: I can't seem to locate the AP article. It's the only news I read, but I guess it's possible I read about that here on SA.

They throw out people who generate complaints, so certain patrons treat it like how some goons just itch to report posting enemies for minor infractions. I doubt they'll just drop the policy because I know it's part of why I and literally all my friends refuse to go anywhere else. Or we did before the pandemic lol.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

lavaca posted:

I had a wild experience seeing Broker at a Regal theater last month. There were no pre-show ads and no trailers or promos except a brief clip of Koreeda saying "I hope you like my movie". The people who showed up 15 minutes after showtime must've been pissed when they realized that they had missed the whole opening sequence.

(Whatever executive signed off on giving Broker a wide release in the hope that it would be the next Parasite must have been pissed too, but for a different reason.)

I genuinely wish that theaters actually returned to real show times, even if it means marking it as ReelTime(tm) or some nonsense. My kids insist on sitting through all the trailers so we must get there on time, but I'd really love to not need to guess.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I haven’t seen the inside of a theater since before Covid because I moved around the time they started reopening and none of the theaters around here serve beer.

I want to drink while I watch a movie dammit

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Hip flasks exist for exactly this reason :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Coasterphreak posted:

I haven’t seen the inside of a theater since before Covid because I moved around the time they started reopening and none of the theaters around here serve beer.

The theaters around here have full bars in them

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I work in live theater, and obviously charging differently for different seating is a big thing. But also a big thing is that just because a seat is empty doesn't mean it's available. There are tons of reasons we have open seats around the theater. Projections, lighting effects, cast interaction with the house, drop zones for flight paths, all sorts of poo poo. So just taking a seat because it's empty is a good way to get asked to leave.

On our last show run we had people go get freestanding chairs from one of the opera boxes, take them down the hall and up a short flight of stairs, and set them up in one of the piano boxes we were using for ZFX. They had to have done it in-between top of show and intermission, or the ushers would have caught it. The spot ops called it into us. When they were removed they left behind a bunch of fancy purses and stuff we turned into the front desk.

That's probably much less of an issue at the movie theater.

That being said the ushers know what seats are what, and will often offer better seats to people if they are available just to be cool.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/1624103845532925955

Perfectly normal and above-board behavior.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

how did it get her email? I’m a little skeptical, I have to say

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

how did it get her email? I’m a little skeptical, I have to say

Yeah.

Sounds pretty bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I click through to Twitter in incognito mode all the time, also, and have never seen anything like that.

I disbelieve the illusion, roll my save