Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm enjoying 11/22/1963, says I'm 63% through and it hasn't really been dragging but honestly both King and the main character come off as such lame rear end dorks for:
A.) The relentless incessent nostalgia (i get it im reading a stephen king novel about time travel but it starts to grate) OH SHUCKS THESE MILKSHAKES TASTE SO GOOD TIME TO STAY HERE WHERE I CAN LINDY HOP. dude you're like a 35 year old in 2007 or w/e are you okay. I get that he had nothing going on in his modern life though. Al picked the perfect dude. Glad he mentions seeing poor people and a couple times he's like woah I saw a segregation but it's just King's soul in this dude's body.
B.) And just the idea that JFK was some positive or restraining force, that saving him would stop Vietnam or what have you. Like ohmigosh if only we could save *him*. This is common, of course, I give them some slack for that cuz at least Al also seems at the very least Kennedy not dying is just the closest major butterfly effect and its more just causing huge ripples and hoping they result randomly in a better universe.
What really bothers me is that the main character is so contemptuous of Oswald, which like hey I get it he beats his wife, but then at the same time main character is all like OH but I wouldn't wish death on this psycho segregationist talking about stopping racial mongrelization ex general Edwin Walker. At one point he just goes like "golly at most I'd like someone to give Walker a FIRM SHAKING. Now time for me to reminisce all tragically and poignantly about how I saw a COLORED bathroom sign that one time."

I guess I'd call all of the above boomer liberalism and it's pretty obnoxious.

God King is always such a weird dork about anything involving sex too. Sugargrip?? Sugargrip?? Lol

A) I mean maybe if you’ve never had a Mexican coke with cane sugar instead of corn syrup, it’d be pretty good? I dunno, going to a soda jerk sounds like a good time to me.

But yes, the 2007 35 year old who’s like: ‘my alcoholic wife and I love to do dances from the 50’s, for fun’ was a little suspect. But I think a lot of the characters fondness for the past was that he builds a life there. I’d be down to live in the past with my hot, clumsy time/space soulmate, too .

B) Yeah, honestly I found the the ‘past-political’ aspects of this book to be as the evil ghost car was in Christine: an interesting contrivance that the author uses to tell an entertaining story. It’s a wacky setting, not commentary in and of itself. Which I guess could be interpreted as nostalgic. It does touch on racism and sexism (it’d be weird if it didn’t), but it didn’t offend my sensibilities that this book is emphatically not about social commentary in the 60’s. And King side-steps any judgements of Kennedy, or America in general, with the ending, imo.

In short, the main character directs high school plays, he’s a dork.

Broadlybrowsing fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah I just finished today and it does at least address some of my qualms and criticisms with how it ultimately resolves.
Like saving JFK definitely not resulting in a better timeline, though I wonder how much of that is King finally accepting realistic outcomes and rejecting Kennedy nostalgia and how much of it is just like "you hosed too much with the timeline." I appreciated the Card Men being benevolent actors trying to stop the wild insanity of the main character. I didn't expect it to be soooo long but it didn't really drag for me, enjoyed it other than some awkward political/racial/sexual King stuff I'm already used to from books like The Stand and his short stories. Pretty entertaining, definitely a pageturner.
I started the James Franco miniseries but I was shocked at how much they rush the beginning.
Did not expect the book to be so heavily about It. It's practically a sequel. Given how much he related the book depository to the presence of Pennywise for a second I was like drat did this clown monster decide that JFK needs to die??

I thiiiink my favorite non-novela/short story of his might be Misery followed by the first half of The Stand but I still need to read a lot of his longer length work.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 15, 2022

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh yeah I just finished today and it does at least address some of my qualms and criticisms with how it ultimately resolves.
Like saving JFK definitely not resulting in a better timeline, though I wonder how much of that is King finally accepting realistic outcomes and rejecting Kennedy nostalgia and how much of it is just like "you hosed too much with the timeline." I appreciated the Card Men being benevolent actors trying to stop the wild insanity of the main character.

Yeah, it was kind of a cop out, but it worked for me. I think someone else posted an alternate ending where Sadie gets married, has a political career, the main character finds out via Facebook or something

The as written ending was great, it was surprisingly sweet for a King book.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

deoju posted:

Just finished Salem's Lot. I liked it, but didn't love it.

Question though, in the last chapter Barlow is hiding in a root cellar that is padlocked shut and Ben has to take an axe to the door. Who padlocked the door? Did the vampires lock it and just teleport to the other side? Can they do that?

The vampires can do some kind of intangibility trick that lets them pass through/around physical objects that aren't holy or otherwise binding (like the entryway of a house that they haven't been invited to enter).

So one of them locked it and then misted through the door, most likely.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think a lot of the, "things were better back then" is more metaphorical in that for King, as well as a number of people his age, the assassination of Kennedy shattered their childhood belief that everything would work out alright. I could be off about that, King did witness a friend get hit by a train but that was just some neighborhood kid and not the President of the United States. I don't think he was a big Kennedy guy as a kid because his parents were Republicans and he even voted for Nixon in '68, under the desperate belief that Nixon would end the Vietnam War as promised. Just the fact that one of the most powerful men in the world could just get his head blown off after 1,000 days in office not only showed that anything can happen but also left people focusing on what could have been because of what follows. From interviews I feel like King was more upset by Vietnam and the establishment's response to the chaos of the 60's, which radicalized him from being just another small town Maine Republican to a left of center person. I feel it's more of an introspection on nostalgia and how returning to that or trying to redo the past is not only insane but also destructive. It's just told through the lens of Jake so it's awkward and doesn't translate as well.

It's interesting because they have Easter eggs in 11/22/63 to IT in the novel, because the events of the first part of IT take place before 11/22/63, but they don't have those in the miniseries even though the current IT adaptation at that time begins in 1960. IT Chapter One came out the following year too and it begins in 1988 so maybe that influenced it as well. There's a lot of Easter eggs in the miniseries though, mainly to the film adaptations of King's works. I do appreciate that in the miniseries Randall Flagg can be seen on a bike in Dallas when Jake is running through the street, trying to stop Oswald in time. I'm pretty sure it's also Jamey Sheridan as Flagg.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah I mean, King grew up believing that The Baby Boomers Were the Salvation only to find out they sucked (this is the thesis of Hearts in Atlantis). I don't think that he has accepted (I don't think he can accept, as he's old, rich, and out of touch, much as I like the guy) that Millennials have gone gone through the same cycle of potential --> crushing world events --> loss of dreams and hopes that Boomers did (and that gen z is about to go through it themselves). I feel like 11/22/63 is him saying that generational loss is irreversible, which, no poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I feel it's more of an introspection on nostalgia and how returning to that or trying to redo the past is not only insane but also destructive. It's just told through the lens of Jake so it's awkward and doesn't translate as well.

Yeah that's fair, a good amount of that did get across on my read. Just took some time. It's still funny and awkward how he just keeps flashing back to the COLORED sign he sees as if it were some incredibly potent and painful experience for him personally to see segregation (basically once) during his fun time travel adventures. Jake very much is this sheltered white liberal New England boomer (even though he's supposed to be like, younger Gen X I think?) and it's not surprising given who's writing him (though it is surprising how much King lacks self-awareness sometimes, some of the poo poo was as clunky as the awkward and cringey parts in The Stand and that was written millenia ago).
It is hard for me to see sometimes tho how much of it is "trying to redo the past is insane and impossible, also it'll make the universe fall apart" and how much of it is "your nostalgia was a delusion, JFK wasn't saving anybody" and to be fair there's sooome bits of both I guess (for example he mentions that civil rights is slowed with JFK in instead of Johnson).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 15, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think with Al Using the time door to buy cheap meat being mentioned as messing up the fabric of time, that was meant to be the main thing, with the JFK stuff more fun alt history writing than anything else

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bobjr posted:

I think with Al Using the time door to buy cheap meat being mentioned as messing up the fabric of time, that was meant to be the main thing, with the JFK stuff more fun alt history writing than anything else

I forgot that part! Think it's time for a re-read...and this time I'll skip the sweetheart love story bits.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked the Jolie and Sadie stuff tbh until she like just abruptly decides to accept his complete secrecy...I know I know, absence makes the heart grow fonder and she's a lady from the 50s but it really seemed like her basic bare minimum line (tell me anything about yourself, i have no idea who the gently caress you are and what you do) and then this central conflict of a good chunk of the story just becomes like "no nvm actually now he CAN have love and be a secret time agent as well"

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Having finally finished The Stand I must say the end of Flaggs side was a bit of a letdown. Already felt the lack of an epic showdown coming as the remaining pages kept shrinking while the plot was crawling forward

Now I need to think about which one’s next, Revival, The Dead Zone, IT or Firestarter. After The Stand my gut says go for a quick/short one first.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

LochNessMonster posted:

Having finally finished The Stand I must say the end of Flaggs side was a bit of a letdown. Already felt the lack of an epic showdown coming as the remaining pages kept shrinking while the plot was crawling forward

Now I need to think about which one’s next, Revival, The Dead Zone, IT or Firestarter. After The Stand my gut says go for a quick/short one first.

Dead Zone or Firestarter would be a solid choice for a quick one, and I'd recommend Dead Zone.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leave posted:

Dead Zone or Firestarter would be a solid choice for a quick one, and I'd recommend Dead Zone.

Seconding this based in OP's list. IT is looooonnnggg and Revival, while good, seems like one you'd pick up after reading a few you didn't like and are looking for a return to form. It's not as impactful or as visceral as some of King's work, although it's very good.

Dead Zone is the best one on that list IMO.

If you want a quick read you can knock over the holidays, Joyland might work; or one of the novella or short story collections.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Appreciate the recs. The ones I mentioned are the ones I already have laying around. Already read Joyland, which happens to be one of my favorite short(er) stories.

I was leaning to Revival as it’s the shortest of the 4, but The Dead Zone doesn’t have that many more pages I think. Maybe I can finish both during the holiday season.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dead Zone is really loving good but post Trump it feels somehow both too on-the-nose and naïve.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

good followups, those are four of his best endings imo

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Decided to go with Revival first and finished it just before new year. Started out a bit slow but it was difficult to put the book down once the story started picking up. The carny part gave me the Joyland vibe which was nice. It even got a 1 line reference somewhere.

Picked up The Dead Zone on Jan 1st as per thread rec. about a quarter in now and can’t say it dissapoints so far.

I’ve gotten a few new books (The Talisman, The Shinin, Fairy Tale and Insomnia) for the holidays so I’m set for a whole year of reading King.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Another adaptation dropping soon, long time coming for this one:

https://twitter.com/20thcentury/status/1619808638180405250?s=19

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I could have sworn this was done, several years ago. Was there maybe a segment in an anthology movie based on this story, or am I totally misremembering?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You’re thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcg6qT2zyQM

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MrMojok posted:

I could have sworn this was done, several years ago. Was there maybe a segment in an anthology movie based on this story, or am I totally misremembering?

not sure but i just remembered how bad the Needful things movie is, they basicaly make the ending something out of sorkin movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I felt the same way but, after thinking about it, I believe it's because it seems so similar to so many other movies. I got "monster in the closet" vibes that reminded me of Cujo right away (the book not the movie) and the first films that popped in my head from that trailer were The Babadook and Poltergeist.

Trailer seemed like a hodgepodge of about 10 different movies I've already seen.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't know if it is true or if it is just made up to hype the movie, but the story is that The Boogeyman was going to be a Hulu release and then test audiences liked it so much they decided to make it a wide release.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Listening to the Kingcast podcast the last few days

What's everyone's general problem with Rose Madder? I read a good long time ago and then did a re-read after I heard it was among King's least regarded efforts, especially here, and I thought it held up really well. Did the same thing with Gerald's Game, which I also quite liked (twice) and really dug the Netflix film.

I think Rose would make for a good adaptation in the right hands and one of the things the podcast touched on is how much it would resonate NOW; what with corrupt cops, what we know about Me Too and all sorts of things that speak to the modern sense of everall desperation among the powerless, particularly with abused women, and the corruption of the people in power who are supposedly there to protect them.

The supernatural elements could be toned down - and should for a movie I think - but I thought RM was quite the page turner.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Finished The Dead Zone last night. Compelling story telling and allround great read. Takes a while before you realize how the story lines are connected and at the end you can cleary see an early inspiration for 11/22/63

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

What's everyone's general problem with Rose Madder? I read a good long time ago and then did a re-read after I heard it was among King's least regarded efforts, especially here, and I thought it held up really well. Did the same thing with Gerald's Game, which I also quite liked (twice) and really dug the Netflix film.

I think Rose would make for a good adaptation in the right hands and one of the things the podcast touched on is how much it would resonate NOW; what with corrupt cops, what we know about Me Too and all sorts of things that speak to the modern sense of everall desperation among the powerless, particularly with abused women, and the corruption of the people in power who are supposedly there to protect them.

The supernatural elements could be toned down - and should for a movie I think - but I thought RM was quite the page turner.

One of my problems is with how Rose gets to decide what her husband is allowed to remember, and the narrative sort of presents that as fine because it's for his own good, even though she's doing it in large part because she's afraid he'll leave her.

And she doesn't even know if the process will poison him or not iirc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I haven't read this book

J.J. Abrams is making a movie out of Stephen King hitman novel Billy Summers

https://www.avclub.com/j-j-abrams-is-making-a-movie-out-of-stephen-king-hitma-1850074765

I read a rumor somewhere else that they're trying to get Leo Dicaprio.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That’s one I’ve wanted to read, just for the novelty of reading a Stephen King crime novel.

For those that have read it, is it any good?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally decided to read Pet Sematary. It was good! Not as good as Shining or Salems Lot but I don’t think I’m gonna get that experience out of King again.

Also watched the movie after, which I’m realizing now they did a pretty good job with! I like how the book gives more personality to the evil/haunted area, which he does soooo well with the other books I mentioned, but I get how hard it is to do that with a movie. Also anything using traditional monsters like the loving Wendigo is awesome.

All in all, neato. I’m gonna take a break from King and finally get into Blackwater by Michael McDowell. Elementals ruled and I’m ready to get back into the same author.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

MrMojok posted:

That’s one I’ve wanted to read, just for the novelty of reading a Stephen King crime novel.

For those that have read it, is it any good?

I just finished it actually and mostly enjoyed it. Imo it kinda loses steam in the last 10ish percent of the book but it’s Kings typical knack for adding some flavor and intrigue to otherwise tired story concepts.

… but an enormous CW for some pretty awful depictions of sexual assault that I could see turning a lot of people off

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Since someone mentioned them in this page:
Anyone else noticed a massive decline in quality for the kingcast after they were acquired by fangoria?

I find myself mostly skipping their episodes whenever it is "b tier celebrity promoting bad horror movie and have less than a passing knowledge of king." Like, I know they have to make money and all, but it has been mostly just very bad episodes.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
What the actual gently caress is Apr Pupil

Specially after Shawhsank

This is the worst (best) thing King has written. I’ve been reading mostly chronologically since last year and drat if this wasn’t more horrifying than any of the monsters

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

It could be part of a collection of magical paintings. The Road Virus, 1408, Duma Key, more I'm forgetting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mr. Nemo posted:

What the actual gently caress is Apr Pupil

Specially after Shawhsank

This is the worst (best) thing King has written. I’ve been reading mostly chronologically since last year and drat if this wasn’t more horrifying than any of the monsters
I still swear by the first half. It's this dark and humorous sort of like goofy 50s Beaver Cleaver meets Operation Paperclip type thing that actually has some decent sociopolitical teeth/commentary.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It could be part of a collection of magical paintings. The Road Virus, 1408, Duma Key, more I'm forgetting.

I was OK with it. King, as usual, had written himself into a corner where he felt like magic was the only solution but in the case of Rose Madder, I viewed it more as a metaphor and a symbolic description of Rose's and her abuser's deteriorating mental state where The Painting was kind of her sanctuary and a place where she had power and the bull was a symbol of the cop's total metamorphosis and degeneration into a complete, brainless monster.

To me, it read more as a fever dream more than a literal Magic Painting

Hardly an original or deep take, I know, but it worked for me.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Rose Madder is one of my favorite King books; Desperation is my absolute favorite. Apparently, this is weird.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I recently finished the Talisman and it was kind of boring. Too long.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

I was OK with it. King, as usual, had written himself into a corner where he felt like magic was the only solution but in the case of Rose Madder, I viewed it more as a metaphor and a symbolic description of Rose's and her abuser's deteriorating mental state where The Painting was kind of her sanctuary and a place where she had power and the bull was a symbol of the cop's total metamorphosis and degeneration into a complete, brainless monster.

To me, it read more as a fever dream more than a literal Magic Painting

Hardly an original or deep take, I know, but it worked for me.

It's been ages but I would agree with that reading.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Breadallelogram posted:

I recently finished the Talisman and it was kind of boring. Too long.

I enjoyed the beginning and of course Wolf and the Sunshine home. I found it dragged out at the boarding school, and Richard is just an unlikeable character.

But the good parts are so good. Wolf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

About 100 pages into The Shining and the alcoholic abusive behaviour of Jack is disturbing me more than any other book I’ve read. To a level where it’s difficult to read even.

I love his dark stories, but this hits different for some reason.