Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...9d42ca6&ref=srp

I don't know why I decided to check 4x4s, maybe because of Dakar? I'm not into camping or offroading particularly but I kind of want one now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
How are you supposed to sleep in that super short roof tent?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Nitrox posted:

How are you supposed to sleep in that super short roof tent?

Eh, the Pajero is listed at 186" long, and I'd estimate that topper is half the overall length, so 90", or 7 1/2 feet. (About 230 cm everywhere else outside of the US)

I've laid out comfortably in the back of a '10 vw golf wagon, and that was with the front seats in the normal position. This guy lacks the 2nd set of doors, but the topper does extend over the area of the front seats quite a bit. I'd still believe my 7 1/2 foot estimate, could even pare it down by a foot and it's reasonable.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

NoWake posted:

Eh, the Pajero is listed at 186" long, and I'd estimate that topper is half the overall length, so 90", or 7 1/2 feet. (About 230 cm everywhere else outside of the US)

I've laid out comfortably in the back of a '10 vw golf wagon, and that was with the front seats in the normal position. This guy lacks the 2nd set of doors, but the topper does extend over the area of the front seats quite a bit. I'd still believe my 7 1/2 foot estimate, could even pare it down by a foot and it's reasonable.
Thanks for finding the numbers, I had a hard time looking up the two door version.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

NoWake posted:

That's the LWB four door, the SWB one is like 20" shorter.

Those old Japanese SWB offroaders were really stubby

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The 3-door one is 4800mm and the roof is a bit under half of that, around 2.2m :wrong: 4220 / 1980mm or whatever in moon units, a bit more if you allow some overhang. So should be plenty unless you're in the NBA.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 7, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You could have just looked up the roof tent. The smallest they make is 210cm long x 130cm wide

They're all too short for me except for the extra long small medium.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

The 3-door one is 4800mm

Where are you getring your numbers from? Pretty sure that's the length for the 5 door model

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

Where are you getring your numbers from? Pretty sure that's the length for the 5 door model
Wikipedia but poo poo you're right, they just have multiple model years listed and I looked at the wrong row. It should be 4220mm making the roof about 1980mm or 78" or so. Maybe more with overhang like Powershift found.

Still more than big enough for my manlet rear end :smugbert:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 7, 2023

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
I don’t understand the appeal of spending $1k+ more than just using a normal tent, or one that incorporates your back hatch if you want to get your vehicle involved for some reason.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

televiper posted:

I don’t understand the appeal of spending $1k+ more than just using a normal tent, or one that incorporates your back hatch if you want to get your vehicle involved for some reason.

They also get super cold because the air can flow under them, unlike a tent on the ground.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, it's already there as a whole thing. As I said I'm not hugely into camping but whenever I it, I really hated setting up and breaking down the tent. Especially if it rained at any point and everything is wet.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You never had the boy scout experience of setting up tents in the rain every weekend because of course it rained when we went camping did you?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Wikipedia but poo poo you're right, they just have multiple model years listed and I looked at the wrong row. It should be 4220mm making the roof about 1980mm or 78" or so. Maybe more with overhang like Powershift found.

Still more than big enough for my manlet rear end :smugbert:

I sometimes park next to one at work and my Sonata sticks out a good half meter further into the lane even if I back up so that my towbar is touching the concrete.

Other days it'll be a Ranger in that spot so quite a dramatic increase in parking difficulty

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno, it's already there as a whole thing. As I said I'm not hugely into camping but whenever I it, I really hated setting up and breaking down the tent. Especially if it rained at any point and everything is wet.

Sounds like either a skill issue or an equipment issue.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Speleothing posted:

Yeah, a nice sprinter with an air mattress won’t have that issue.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

mobby_6kl posted:

Camping is just moving twice.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

televiper posted:

They are really popular here in Australia, in part because it keeps you up away from the wildlife. There's also an integrated foam mattress which is pretty comfy - carrying one of these in a car is generally not practical for most vehicles/trips. They're easy to set up, don't get flooded if it rains... there's actually quite a lot to like about them.

I hired a Nissan Cube with one of the cheaper/less compact rooftop tents, and while it was not great to drive owing to how woefully underpowered a Cube is to begin with, the tent was really nice. OTOH, you lose the ability to get to a campground early and call dibs on a spot by setting up your tent and then driving off to go do something before evening.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
rooftop tents are completely awesome. you’re not on the ground with the mud and the animals, all the bedding stays in the tent, so “pitching” is literally a 1 minute project, and nice ones are made of fiberglass and REALLY thick canvas (like a military tent or a Kodiak) so they last forever and block sunlight. it’s definitely an investment (I think the one on my Hilux was 20,000ZAR/1,200USD) but if you go camping a lot it’s a nice luxury to have.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Speleothing posted:

Mostly :effort: issue

StormDrain posted:

Camping is just moving twice.
Yes but worse because you can't just leave poo poo in boxes for years

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

mobby_6kl posted:

Mostly :effort: issue

Yes but worse because you can't just leave poo poo in boxes for years

Oh you don't have the black and yellow tub filled with the small poo poo you need to camp that has accumulated stuff you don't use in 5 trips and sits in the basement for 11 months at a time?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

StormDrain posted:

Oh you don't have the black and yellow tub filled with the small poo poo you need to camp that has accumulated stuff you don't use in 5 trips and sits in the basement for 11 months at a time?

Why do you need to attack me personally like that?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Remember last summer when there were reports that Justin Bieber’s step-grandmother survived a fiery car accident? It made the rounds on social media and the usual celebrity trash sites. Here is reporting from the local tv news about it -

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/kitchener/2022/7/3/1_5972690.amp.html

Well look what my brother found on kijiji while looking for parts for his 442, the actual car for sale. 1972 Cutlass Supreme, somewhat incinerated and partly folded in half. Seller has removed the drivetrain and parting out the rest.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-parts/st-catharines/1972-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme-part-out/1646875623?undefined

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Amateur seller.

You're supposed to use a picture of an unburned car as "what it could look like" and ask $20k for the complete car.

Apparently it only went for $400 through Copart back in January with the engine still in it.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

I paid that much for a new set of those centre caps that are on it.

We were talking about going down there with a sawzall for the cowl section, we have a 442 in our potential project pile that’s rusted out at the base of the windshield.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pretty common. Mines been repaired there from a windshield leak even here in Texas.
If I’m not mistaken, those are the 14” wheels with the bolt-on center caps, right? I’ve got a couple of those somewhere, but they’re the early version that doesn’t work with disc brakes.

It was definitely worth more than $400 with a good 455 in it, assuming it’s actuality a 442.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Yes, those are the 14x7 wheels with the bolt on caps. The 442 was reduced to an appearance package for 72, they could have 350s. It has drum brakes on the front though, so I bet this a plainer car someone’s dressed up.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1972-oldsmobile-442

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I forgot it was 72 they did that. Thought it was 73.
Edit: even so, a good d Olds 350 is still worth it. Heck, a good TH350 probably is.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Facebook Marketplace is just precious.

Wow, a $2900 2010 Honda Civic! Let's give it a look!

"4 door Automatic, tires are about 90% runs and drives, just needs a little front end work and it will be worth twice as much. 2010 Honda Civic Take a look and message with questions."

Hmmm, that's a weird angle for a picture -

Why did the steering wheel explode?

Ah, there's the "little front end work" that needs to happen. HOT DOG, WHAT A DEAL!!!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I love the ones that have a giant list of all the awesome features and how great the car is, then at the very bottom.... *rebuild title

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Facebook Marketplace is just precious.

Wow, a $2900 2010 Honda Civic! Let's give it a look!

"4 door Automatic, tires are about 90% runs and drives, just needs a little front end work and it will be worth twice as much. 2010 Honda Civic Take a look and message with questions."

Hmmm, that's a weird angle for a picture -

Why did the steering wheel explode?

Ah, there's the "little front end work" that needs to happen. HOT DOG, WHAT A DEAL!!!

The subtext to all of these listings is painful and funny at the same time: "I was furious with my insurance company for offering me so little in payout for my totaled car, so I insisted on keeping the wreck so I can recoup my losses. Oh. Hey, weird, why won't anyone buy my wrecked car for what it's worth?"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1969-plymouth-road-runner-j-code-426-hemi-4-speeds/1650660469

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I love the ones that have a giant list of all the awesome features and how great the car is, then at the very bottom.... *rebuild title

I'm quickly learning Facebook appears to be where 99% of posts are for junk titles.

There is even funny phrasing I've ran across. "no CLEAN TITLE!" No bullshit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, at least the seller is appropriately named

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That car has a VIN. There's a market for it. "Please Contact" makes me think this is a crazy person, though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This car is the embodiment of hiring an apparently decently qualified person and discovering they have a crippling meth habit.
---------
2011 Chevrolet Aveo5 LT Hatchback Sedan 4D
$3,500

Good running car I have some cosmetic issues but nothing that affects the running capabilities of it brand new tires from Les Schwab also if interested send me a text.115,000 thousand miles and yes it has a Bass box I don't have the seat but I found it on craigslist list for $30 I can give you the info.
---------

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is that an extension cord just running into the dash?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Godholio posted:

That car has a VIN. There's a market for it. "Please Contact" makes me think this is a crazy person, though.
His username is "Scrapyard" on Kijiji

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Nitrox posted:

Is that an extension cord just running into the dash?

Is it an XLR cable? :stare:

I cannot even begin to comprehend taking that picture for an advertisement. There are so many things that are wrong I’m having a hard time spotting something Not Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Log posted:

This car is the embodiment of hiring an apparently decently qualified person and discovering they have a crippling meth habit.
---------
2011 Chevrolet Aveo5 LT Hatchback Sedan 4D
$3,500

Good running car I have some cosmetic issues but nothing that affects the running capabilities of it brand new tires from Les Schwab also if interested send me a text.115,000 thousand miles and yes it has a Bass box I don't have the seat but I found it on craigslist list for $30 I can give you the info.
---------

As a former mobile electronics installer, that install offends me, and physically repels me.

The random assortment of speaker s just lying there, apparently connected...
The loving pair of tweeters still in packaging with the plastic cut out, and wired up.

It's all so low effort and haphazard.
LOL that the amp needs or could even use the 4ga. power and ground cable - which also makes me wonder about routing and fusing of the power cable...

At least they didn't drill holes all over the door panels and such to "install" this stuff? Looks like it could be returned to stock easily enough.
What *really* boggles me is: why did they do all this in the passenger front? Why not just remove the rear seat, or put it in the hatch?

Just... WTF?