Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I was a Nintendo kid and not a Sony kid, so the DS version of RE1 was my first experience with that game, and I thought it was a good time. I didn't find anything objectionable about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Good soup! posted:

I miss RE games having a creepy voice reminding me what game I'm playing when I start them up

We used to joke as kids that someday it would be like "Resident Evil......52"

For all the complaining about RE5, it ain't that hard solo, unless you're on the worst difficulty.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The biggest crime was going back and rerecording previous title voices with the guy who did RE4.

The original dude saying RESIDENT EVIL.....TWOOOO.... still goat

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
But there's Evil Within, 2.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

But there's Evil Within, 2.

Psycho Break is such a better title, resident evil at least was quirky

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Regarding that Code Veronica fan remake that got gadooshed: Why don't these people just not tell anyone what they're doing and release the game?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's the exception rather than the norm that a person can labor quietly for years at a time with nothing more than their own satisfaction in the quality of the work to keep them going. The silence itself can be maddening, add in the opportunity cost of not getting interested people to contribute to the project or even just to chip in some patreon bucks, especially if your life starts to boil down to sleep, work, obligations, all free time to fan project.

I can't blame them for wanting to drum up some interest, especially if resources or mood start to shrink. My questions are if they can do this without IP holding company noticing(a tight-knit invite only Discord?) or, personally, if any of these people honestly say to themselves "the company won't protect their IP this time. All those other times were bad luck but us, we're going to be lucky"?

I think a few projects have managed it. The fan remake of Metroid 2(the game boy one) comes to mind, releasing and inviting as many people as possible to make the game part of the internet forever before Nintendo predictably stepped on the primary devs.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I probably shoulda asked this before I bought it but what was the consensus on the RE3 remake?

That's a fair assessment.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

sponges posted:

I probably shoulda asked this before I bought it but what was the consensus on the RE3 remake?

Fun, but short and missing a lot of content and more like a completely new game using the same basic premise of RE3 than a remake. Desperately needed one or two more areas from the original game and maybe more post-game stuff like Mercenaries. Not worth full price but worth buying on sale.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

sponges posted:

That's a fair assessment.

I really enjoyed it for the $15 I paid, and I've played through it a couple times. If I'd paid full price I would have been livid with the length and lack of original content.

It's more of an action game than RE2 remake, and come on who doesn't love Jill

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Medullah posted:

I really enjoyed it for the $15 I paid, and I've played through it a couple times. If I'd paid full price I would have been livid with the length and lack of original content.

It's more of an action game than RE2 remake, and come on who doesn't love Jill

yeah same, i enjoyed the three or four runs i did but it feels short compared to the other games even if objectively they're all made to be beaten within a couple hours. i got it stupid cheap during a sale so i'm not too stressed about it though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

finally got around to playing Village. It was enjoyable but... uneven? Devs clearly love Bloodborne and were riffing on its baroque central european aesthetic (the whole game is gorgeous), which I can vibe with, and it was obviously an homage to my favorite RE4, but the tone just didn't cohere to the same degree. Felt like it needed more Files to discover and flesh the plot out, more appearances or clues about Miranda before just loredumping everything all at once in a single room at the end. Playwise, the shooting was just adequate enough to keep me playing through the whole thing, but I don't anticipate playing Mercenaries the way I absolutely devoured the mode on RE4 gamecube. I'll probably take a break, beat Evil Within 2 and the Dead Space remake, then come back and see how Shadow of Rose is.

also heisenberg's VA was a real weird choice

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Fun, but short and missing a lot of content and more like a completely new game using the same basic premise of RE3 than a remake. Desperately needed one or two more areas from the original game and maybe more post-game stuff like Mercenaries. Not worth full price but worth buying on sale.

Now that it regularly goes on sale for like $15 it's a lot more palatable but it just barely avoids feeling like a DLC for RE2 and isn't remotely a good remake of RE3. (Though it is pretty fun on its own merits even though it is short.)

The complete waste of Nemesis is genuinely one of the crappiest disappointments I can remember in a game because literally all anyone cared about was how cool Nemesis was going to be in a game not made for the PS1 and instead they somehow gave him fewer appearances and less memorable gameplay segments than the original.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s weird how Mr X in REmake2 turned into (a form of) Nemesis from RE3 and Nemesis in REmake3 turned into Mr X from RE2.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I feel like the core difference between the remake of 2 and 3 is that the latter feels like what would happen if you took the former, had someone speedrun it, and then cut content/simplified the map to fit the speedrun.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Kibayasu posted:

It’s weird how Mr X in REmake2 turned into (a form of) Nemesis from RE3 and Nemesis in REmake3 turned into Mr X from RE2.

I think that this is part of it. If Remake 3 was structured to have a meaningful stalker Nemesis, it would end up being really samey to Remake 2. I think I like Remake 3 more than a lot of people here. I appreciate how it is a shorter game that leans more towards 4-6 in having focused action and moving from place to place as Jill works to escape.

I also think that the stalker enemy is pretty played out by the series. I hope they don't add one for Remake 4.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Game Boy Color version of Alone in the Dark that's landed on Nintendo Switch Online has reignited my interest in the GBC port of Resident Evil and wishing there were more "demakes" like them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shiroc posted:

I think that this is part of it. If Remake 3 was structured to have a meaningful stalker Nemesis, it would end up being really samey to Remake 2. I think I like Remake 3 more than a lot of people here. I appreciate how it is a shorter game that leans more towards 4-6 in having focused action and moving from place to place as Jill works to escape.

I also think that the stalker enemy is pretty played out by the series. I hope they don't add one for Remake 4.
One thing I do appreciate about the game is that there appears to be a solid consensus on what the actual game is, and the disagreement is basically just whether it's good that it is what it is or not. Which does speak to the quality of both it and the remake of 2. Too many drat games where weirdness and jank ends up creating really confusing "reviews" or explanations of the game, depending on what pisses people off or makes people fall in love with it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I played 7 for about 20 minutes once and nothing happened. How long does it take to get good?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

redreader posted:

I played 7 for about 20 minutes once and nothing happened. How long does it take to get good?

Well about 5 minutes after that you get attacked by a maniac with a chainsaw, so

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

A Buttery Pastry posted:

One thing I do appreciate about the game is that there appears to be a solid consensus on what the actual game is, and the disagreement is basically just whether it's good that it is what it is or not. Which does speak to the quality of both it and the remake of 2. Too many drat games where weirdness and jank ends up creating really confusing "reviews" or explanations of the game, depending on what pisses people off or makes people fall in love with it.

Yeah, it’s nice to be able to talk about games in terms of what you’re looking for and value instead of trying to measure things in terms of Objective Quality. Resident Evil as a series is so varied, with different games emphasizing different concepts that any of them could reasonably be somebody’s favorite, even if some will be more or less popular.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ImpAtom posted:

The complete waste of Nemesis is genuinely one of the crappiest disappointments I can remember in a game because literally all anyone cared about was how cool Nemesis was going to be in a game not made for the PS1 and instead they somehow gave him fewer appearances and less memorable gameplay segments than the original.

His locations are also not randomly generated in the remake. I'm almost positive that in the original he wouldn't always spawn the same area every run. IIRC, there were places where he would never show up but several more where he might.

AM I remembering this correctly?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

BiggerBoat posted:

His locations are also not randomly generated in the remake. I'm almost positive that in the original he wouldn't always spawn the same area every run. IIRC, there were places where he would never show up but several more where he might.

AM I remembering this correctly?

iirc he had 'fixed' spawn conditions, but what choices you made during those decision segments and what order you got key items in played a role. Since the odds of you memorizing every spawn are slim to none, it gives the appearance of him showing up randomly.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

redreader posted:

How did you play 7 for 20 minutes and not see the opening that takes 5 minutes to reach? Maybe ah, give it another try.

It's a straight line to the side house and Mia only interrupted by watching the video!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In original RE3 there are very few variations on where he could turn up, and it was entirely based on live choice and order of locations visited. Like hardly anybody will see Nemmy at the newspaper office because it requires that you go there before the restaurant to meet Carlos which is kinda unintuitive.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

redreader posted:

it starts good

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah like, the first 30 minutes of RE7 are some of the best parts of any RE game in my opinion.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6C95i1D1GE

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

redreader posted:

what the gently caress

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

redreader posted:

As soon as you stop being too scared to go inside the spooky old house.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

redreader posted:

Have you tried turning on your monitor

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I went inside the house and I watched a video or read a newspaper or something then my kid woke up and I turned the game off. No chainsaw person!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Have you considered turning the game on since then and perhaps increasing your playtime past 11 minutes

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

redreader posted:

I went inside the house and I watched a video or read a newspaper or something then my kid woke up and I turned the game off. No chainsaw person!

Reminds me of the time I tried watching Alien. Fell asleep 30 minutes in, don't see what the hype is about.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

played re4.....dudes in a car dropped me off in front of a cabin..... seemed pretty weird. Anyway, I shut the game off and returned it, lemme know if it gets good

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Booted up Revelations 2 once... Some guy in a creepy voice said "Resident... Eeeeevil". My cat needed to be fed so I quit out..don't get the hype, probably won't play again.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Started RE2, got bored with the two main(?) characters just talking while driving around town in a police car. Not for me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A trucker eating a cheeseburger?! I thought this game was supposed to be scary!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
That cheeseburger is more horrifying than 90% of the monsters to be fair.

I'd probably eat two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
When you try that bit in the future say 10 minutes instead of 20, I think it's physically impossible to be hitting buttons and not reach Mia in 20 minutes. It still doesn't work as a bit, but it's a bit more believable.