Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

this is all from memory so I may have gotten some details wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Bofuri ep 7 is delayed for two weeks, will air March 8th
https://twitter.com/bofuri_anime/status/1625057197721006080?s=20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ftr covid rates in japan are pretty low rn but obviously these things happen on a delay (if show was in production when it was peaking then it would mean they'd fall behind now)

the ideal solution would have been for stuff to not start airing but thatd cost Money so instead you get these situations

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

ftr covid rates in japan are pretty low rn but obviously these things happen on a delay (if show was in production when it was peaking then it would mean they'd fall behind now)

the ideal solution would have been for stuff to not start airing but thatd cost Money so instead you get these situations

Seems like 'delays due to COVID' are a running joke on industry insider Twitter, and it's instead an excuse for a bunch of shows' schedules completely making GBS threads themselves due to overproduction and (non-COVID-related) understaffing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well, its a combination of things. those are factors too, but covid did spike in japan a few months back, and the outsourcing to china has also been affected by the end of china's zero covid policy. series that were already stretched extremely thin were pushed over the line. that said, its true that at this point i doubt there's anything that was progressing smoothly that is now delayed solely because of covid. (as proven by studios with more reasonable production cycles, like kyoani, not having to announce any delays)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

‘Don’t hurt me, my healer’ also one of those I guess d&d players find this funny shows

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

For real it's this. Even something as simple as "finish producing the series before airing it" would go a long way in improving the anime production pipeline. Also oversaturation of the market meaning both the available staff are stretched thinner and burning out faster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

having some reactivity to audience can be nice in cases of original series - for a recent example, guel was made a more major character in g-witch because the audience liked him, and that stuff worked well and im curious what they'll do with him in s2 - but for stuff thats just a LN isekai adaptation, yeah, there's no real advantage to not having the entire thing done by the time it goes to air. except cranking this crap out faster.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Genuinely enjoying Chillin' my 30s. My man Dariel knows what he wants and goes for it.

Reminds me a lot of Banished from the Heroes' party actually. The vibe of both protagonists as just people who've seen and dealt with enough poo poo to go after things they want is pretty similar.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I saw someone with the Guel style pink highlights in the front and longer brown in the back when I was walking past a barber shop once. Surely a coincidence, but I like to believe our boy's reach has spread that far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Could have been imitating the new pokemon kid as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats just a really popular style right now in general, especially in japan. animes imitating life not the other way around

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

we live in an anime...

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Transported to a Magical Realm after I was Obliterated by a Bus

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
HIDIVE licensed Helck
https://www.hidive.com/news/2023/2/13/the-tournament-begins-this-summer-with-helck-on-hidive

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Aw fulck.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Do people actually subscribe to HiDive

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GateOfD posted:

I do, it's the closest thing to a modern equivalent of browsing the anime section at Blockbuster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I subscribed for like £3 a month when it first started and can never unsubscribe because the price will go up if I do

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

GateOfD posted:

i watch like one show a season on there and occasionally dip into the back catalogue which is worth 5 bucks a month

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they get like a quarter of the seasonals now which is way more than they used to

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

G-Witch season 1 got over the finish line fine despite rumblings of a rough production (the three delays were related to time slot preemptions and not the actual production and they did have to bring in the Hathaway team for an episode) and here's hoping for season 2.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

seems like the g-witch damage control PR worked if people dont think those were production delays

season 2 should be fine, maybe another recap week here or there

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There was literally a golf tournament. This happens all the time for the Sunday morning toku shows.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It was really funny realizing how many of the production debates were over the annual golf week.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was literally almost a whole week before anyone even mentioned golf and the Super Hero Time veteran in me was livid. It was GOLF! Again!

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
A golf tournament the first time, and then at the end they had to deal with end of year and beginning of year festivity programs on the network.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It was literally almost a whole week before anyone even mentioned golf and the Super Hero Time veteran in me was livid. It was GOLF! Again!

No villain can beat the Precure, Sentai or Rider but golf can!

Insert image of Eva saying she'll Murder you using golf

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

seems like the g-witch damage control PR worked if people dont think those were production delays
i mean there were probably production issues but also everything on that channel/timeslot gets delayed for stuff like that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Though SHT did move a couple hours later a few years ago and now it's like marathons and relay races

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's one of the drawbacks of having a normal time slot, your gonna get pre-empted for stuff!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We're too used to shows airing at the dead of night in Japan lol

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I still remember the time Kamen Rider Fourze got preempted by a golf tournament... In the middle of the two-part storyline with the Tauros Zodiart which involved them challenging him to golf. The final shot of Meteor in the week before was him practicing his swing.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that sounds like something they planned knowing about the golf

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Really good kids show writers will know about the limits of the timeslot/selling toys and use it to some really cool stories. In some ways it can have more freedom than a late night show!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Really good kids show writers will know about the limits of the timeslot/selling toys and use it to some really cool stories. In some ways it can have more freedom than a late night show!

Funnily enough, this was not something Gen Urobuchi ended up being good at, lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Isekai_Ojisan/status/1625298784652492802?s=20&t=NFb7ZmHbuVGI54ZO8B34Qg

Episode 13 of Isekai Ojisan finally airing March 8

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

Episode 13 of Isekai Ojisan finally airing March 8

Holy poo poo, I was starting to think they'd just given up on it :popeye:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I thought they were going for a 2024 air so they could get on 3 anime of the year lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

well, its a combination of things. those are factors too, but covid did spike in japan a few months back, and the outsourcing to china has also been affected by the end of china's zero covid policy. series that were already stretched extremely thin were pushed over the line. that said, its true that at this point i doubt there's anything that was progressing smoothly that is now delayed solely because of covid. (as proven by studios with more reasonable production cycles, like kyoani, not having to announce any delays)

Yeah. Also my dumb Megacorp had a ton of delays end of last year, because the one guy who knew how to run particular system x was out with covid. It's just not visible to several billion people like a broadcasting schedule in the internet age. Also, I'd guess, film production inherently has that problem worse in that cast members are irreplaceable in the short term. Can't just have someone else voice the lines for one day.