Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

repiv posted:

keychron has something new for the numpad enjoyers who also want decent mouse ergonomics

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q12-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard

say what you will about their customer service but they're pretty much the only company mass producing these wackier layouts
I'm surprised some of these are even profitable (or that Keychron thinks they might be), 40%, 75% alice, southpaw numpads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they even do ISO hotswap variants of esoteric layouts like 75% alice, when you're lucky to get any ISO hotswap options from most companies even for generic 65/75/TKL layouts

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I've been eyeing that Alice board for a while

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

repiv posted:

keychron has something new for the numpad enjoyers who also want decent mouse ergonomics

say what you will about their customer service but they're pretty much the only company mass producing these wackier layouts

this is basically exactly what i wanted but i like my murphpad + 65% better now anyway

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

repiv posted:

I can always use another southpaw keyboard. Now should I go silver or navy blue chassis to compliment a godspeed set.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Corb3t posted:

Oh god I just dropped $150 on a book about keyboards:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mwichary/shift-happens
Brad & Will listener?

Anyway they got me too.

If it was cheaper I'd have gotten a second one for my brother who is even more into this hobby than me.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

repiv posted:

Why would they go through all the trouble of building and launching this but not mirror the numpad? Am I supposed to still use my right hand, just over on the left side? Flip my left hand upside-down so my pinky and thumb are actually in the right spot? Become double jointed so I can then reverse my fingers and type like some kind of horrifying spider?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
yeah

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It's QMK compatible, should be easy to remap the keys if necessary.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

My Keychron K10 Pro came in today along with a set of Box Navies to put on it. I'm surprised how big of a difference that extra bit of actuation force makes over the Box Jades I've been using the last few months, can't really decide which I like better yet. I do like that Q12 Southpaw but need something wireless :smith:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

mariooncrack posted:

It's QMK compatible, should be easy to remap the keys if necessary.

Can't remap the physical positions of the 2u keys, which is the problem

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Man there's literally no Lenovo trackpoint keyboards in the country, but my work has the BT Mk2 for order so I'll give it a shot :getin:

Unsinkabear posted:

Why would they go through all the trouble of building and launching this but not mirror the numpad? Am I supposed to still use my right hand, just over on the left side? Flip my left hand upside-down so my pinky and thumb are actually in the right spot? Become double jointed so I can then reverse my fingers and type like some kind of horrifying spider?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on the Keychron Q1 Pro.

My aging Drop Alt needs an upgrade

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Unsinkabear posted:

Using numpad left handed isn’t too uncommon in accounting. It didn’t take me long to adjust and my detachable numpad stays on the left side of the keyboard. I’ve never seen a reversed layout for left numpad

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

mrking posted:

Using numpad left handed isn’t too uncommon in accounting. It didn’t take me long to adjust and my detachable numpad stays on the left side of the keyboard. I’ve never seen a reversed layout for left numpad

No, they're not common, because people are creatures of habit that hate change in the things they use every day. But it's one of those things like "southpaw" keyboards that put the built-in numpad on the left side which really should be more common than they are, given the way people actually use their computers today. There is a lot of this in modern keyboards. It irks me to no end that we are pot committed to the default keyboard being a layout that was created before loving mice existed. The reason it's over on the right side is because it was created with a completely different workflow in mind. A lot of number-crunchers love it because it's what they learned on, but it's loving Stockholm Syndrome :argh:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 15, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just saw this linked in a Discord: https://fluxkeyboard.com/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sigher posted:

I just saw this linked in a Discord: https://fluxkeyboard.com/

That sounds like a new Optimus Maximus, in every aspect.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I happened upon a thrift store find of a keyboard I've never heard of before, the Matias Tactile Pro. Its a keyboard for Macs thats specifically meant to emulate the feel of the old Apple Extended and Extended II keyboards. Its been so long since I've used one of those that I have no idea how it felt any more, so I cant make a good comparison there. The keyboard I got was still in its original packaging and looked completely unused. The Q key was non-functional though, so my best guess is someone bought it, found out the key was busted and mothballed it until they eventually gave it to the thrift store.

Weirdly enough, Matias customer support not only responded to my email, but had replacement switches at the ready. Shout out to Matias on that one. The switches are soldered to the board, but the whole keyboard case opens up with two screws and is super easy to get to for maintenance, so a quick solder later, and the keyboard is 100% functional and feels great to type on.

I'd say the one drawback to it is that it is pretty tall, and I need a wrist rest to get my hands to a point where I dont feel like I'm bending my wrists too far. For a thrift store keyboard that just needed a little TLC though, I love it, and having all of the appropriate apple keys is a nice bonus too, especially since I have a 2019 Macbook pro with the terrible butterfly keyboard that I try my best to never use. Also it has USB ports on it, but they are 2.0, so they're only useful for slower devices and mice and things like that.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The Tactile Pro uses Alps keyswtiches similar to the AEK I. I’ve got both an AEK I and II in the house and I’ve typed on a Tactile Pro. The AEK II has Alps damped switches, which are quieter but still clicky. Because of this, the Tactile pro won’t feel like an AEK II (which is the one most people prefer). But it’s still a great typing keyboard.

There’s some ergonomic differences between these keyboards and the AEKs, the keycaps aren’t exactly the same and the shape of the keyboard is different enough that it’s not the same experience. The tactile pro does get pretty close to the AEK I, but most people I know prefer the AEK II and the Tactile Pro feels qualitatively different. IIRC the Matias Laptop Pro or whatever uses damped switches and feels more like the AEK II, but it’s still not the same.

But that’s still a great find, so congrats on a great keyboard.

mewse
May 2, 2006

As a aek1 and aek2 owner I think one of the game changers with alps switches is that you can open them up without desoldering from the board.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Unsinkabear posted:

loving Stockholm Syndrome :argh:

Not actually a real thing, invented by a male psychologist to dismiss how a female hostage was unhappy with how the negotiations were handled, she did not switch sides to the hostage takers or anything like that. https://cryingoutforjustice.blog/2015/06/03/the-myth-of-stockholm-syndrome-and-how-it-was-invented-to-silence-an-indignant-young-woman/

And also, it wouldn't even be Stockholm syndrome, if that were real, just switching costs people don't want to pay.

As someone who used to have a tenkey job I don't want my tenkey moved because I doubt I could ever get my left hand to be as quick as my right is without taking a job like that again, and I don't want to take a huge pay cut.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Not actually a real thing, invented by a male psychologist to dismiss how a female hostage was unhappy with how the negotiations were handled, she did not switch sides to the hostage takers or anything like that. https://cryingoutforjustice.blog/2015/06/03/the-myth-of-stockholm-syndrome-and-how-it-was-invented-to-silence-an-indignant-young-woman/

And also, it wouldn't even be Stockholm syndrome, if that were real, just switching costs people don't want to pay.

As someone who used to have a tenkey job I don't want my tenkey moved because I doubt I could ever get my left hand to be as quick as my right is without taking a job like that again, and I don't want to take a huge pay cut.

How are you in every thread I am?

I understand that Stockholm syndrome isn't a real thing, but unfortunately I don't know of an equivalent colloquialism for when people fight for a system that actively hurts them. :(

Obviously this isn't that dramatic; I was being melodramatic for a laugh. But around nine in ten people I personally know who swear up and down that they need a 100% keyboard with a right tenkey don't actually share your experience. Most have never worked a day in a job like that, and think it's basically the same as a gig like mine that requires heavy data entry for just a few hours per month. Imo those people could actually remap/surpass their mild muscle memory fairly easily. Maybe I'm wrong and there are right-hand-centric workflows I don't use, or maybe they're wrong and the left hand setup is as easy and ergo as I imagine. I guess unless we have someone who's fluent with both, we'll never really know.

What I do know is that my partner was one of those who insisted on an old school 100% for her current keyboard, and after a year of trying to use it at a small desk while looking at my 75%, she already wants a 65% +numpad setup. (And I don't even bombard her with 75%/TKL propaganda like I do this thread!)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Unsinkabear posted:

They’re Batman

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

I understand that Stockholm syndrome isn't a real thing, but unfortunately I don't know of an equivalent colloquialism for when people fight for a system that actively hurts them. :(

Obviously this isn't that dramatic; I was being melodramatic for a laugh. But around nine in ten people I personally know who swear up and down that they need a 100% keyboard with a right tenkey don't actually share your experience. Most have never worked a day in a job like that, and think it's basically the same as a gig like mine that requires heavy data entry for just a few hours per month. Imo those people could actually remap/surpass their mild muscle memory fairly easily. Maybe I'm wrong and there are right-hand-centric workflows I don't use, or maybe they're wrong and the left hand setup is as easy and ergo as I imagine. I guess unless we have someone who's fluent with both, we'll never really know.

What I do know is that my partner was one of those who insisted on an old school 100% for her current keyboard, and after a year of trying to use it at a small desk while looking at my 75%, she already wants a 65% +numpad setup. (And I don't even bombard her with 75%/TKL propaganda like I do this thread!)

Yeah, surprisingly the most popular layout in the custom hobby, by far, is 65%. 75% is also super popular as well, with 60% also being very popular especially with people that play FPS and want more mouse space. The typical 100% layout is still super useful for some people, and I say that as someone that owns multiple customs with numpads, but it's also a relic of an older era. A lot of people can very comfortably get by without a numpad these days, and most that get rid of it enjoy having the extra mouse space.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My partner is a Nurse Practitioner and she and all her friends insist on tenkey keyboards. A few have picked up GMMK2 96% at my suggestion, and my partner has a newer Ducky with hot-swappable switches.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I built a yampad and got the keymap to install with VIA (having grabbed an example one). On my main PC, it only seems to see layer 1, which isn't a numpad at all - it's arrow keys and the ins-home-end-pgup-pgdn-del panel. On my work PC, it works exactly as VIA told it to, including being able to traverse layers. I've attempted to write over layer 1 in VIA to see if I can brute force a proper numpad out of it, but it still does the arrow key thing. I was under the impression that the firmware on these dictated the keymaps, but now I'm wondering if Windows does something funky. I've uninstalled the driver and plugged the pad back in and that doesn't fix anything. Is there something I should be telling Windows to stop caching or something?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Unsinkabear posted:

Good taste?

I think a project mapping the posters to threads and comunities of something awful and showing convergences would be really interesting.

Unsinkabear posted:

Sorry if I already yammered this at you, I just think it's such an amazing example of gaslighting.

Only euphemism I can think of is "dats capitalism baby".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
For anyone using Home Row Modifiers, how have you configured or adjusted them? I like them quite a bit on my ErgoDox EZ, but my style of "rolling typing" still causes quite a bit of mistakes with them, in both directions. Inadvertent capital letters instead of letter pairs or vice versa. I even removed Win-key from home row as too dangerous. It is starting to feel like I won't be able to learn new type of typing.

I'm not sure if I should try to find a hardware of software solution. One option I'm considering is replacing the Cherry MX Red switches on the home row with tactiles. There are some options on the Oryx software which might help, but it's hard to estimate what effect they would have. At one point I modified some of them, but it seemed to make things slightly worse.

This week I also started another round of tinkering with my layout, giving it some 45% functionality to bring the number keys to easier reach. Although my character keys are cryptographically randomized I do pretty much remember them, so I switched the keycaps to show the second layer, as best as I could.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

:hfive:

pseudanonymous posted:

I think a project mapping the posters to threads and comunities of something awful and showing convergences would be really interesting.

For sure, that would be fascinating.

pseudanonymous posted:

Sorry if I already yammered this at you, I just think it's such an amazing example of gaslighting.

Only euphemism I can think of is "dats capitalism baby".

Not at all! I only learned about it recently, so it may have been you, not sure, but definitely no yammering. It's a good thing for anyone to be aware of.

Dat's capitalism, indeed :negative:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Voynich caps finally installed

https://imgur.com/a/RGrVgrQ

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

pseudanonymous posted:

Voynich caps finally installed

https://imgur.com/a/RGrVgrQ

Hell yeah friend

||CannonKeys is sending me a replacement R3 Enter key because the one I got is R4 🥲||

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Is there a good way to determine if a 60% layout would work for you? As much as I like a numpad it's not hard to imagine life without one, but I don't really know how often I'm using the home cluster or function row.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if your current keyboard is configurable you could unbind all the keys that don't exist on a 60% and set the remainder up like one

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Is there a good way to determine if a 60% layout would work for you? As much as I like a numpad it's not hard to imagine life without one, but I don't really know how often I'm using the home cluster or function row.

I switched to 65% and never looked back. Function keys are easy enough with your number down and modifier key. I reprogrammed my left alt to act as mod + alt so I can easily do alt + F4 without trouble.

60 was too much because of the lack of arrow keys and I dont like to remap them to mod + wasd

Detachable number pads are also fun accessories

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

repiv posted:

if your current keyboard is configurable you could unbind all the keys that don't exist on a 60% and set the remainder up like one

With a configurable keyboard you can tighten up the layout as much as you want. It's not even necessary to unbind the "extra" keys. I still have my number row intact, but I also have another number row on the QWERTY row behind modifier.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I switched to 65% and never looked back. Function keys are easy enough with your number down and modifier key. I reprogrammed my left alt to act as mod + alt so I can easily do alt + F4 without trouble.

60 was too much because of the lack of arrow keys and I dont like to remap them to mod + wasd

What do you use the arrows for and do they need to be in the standard cluster?

My ErgoDox EZ has an unusual key layout, so I'm able to put keys in unorthodox locations.

On the first layer I have the arrows on the bottom row of left keyboard. I use Down key the most, for example scrolling in the forums, so I can easily reach it with my left thumb. Up key I use second most often, so it's left of the Down and not quite as easy reach. But I also have it on the second layer for right thumb. Left and Right are on the bottom left for immediate use. Also on top of left thumb cluster, but I never remember to use them. On the second layer they are on the G and H spots, very easy to reach with index fingers.

The modifier keys for the second layer are at the B and N spots, very easy to actuate with thumbs through the gap between main keys and thumb cluster.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Saukkis posted:

For anyone using Home Row Modifiers, how have you configured or adjusted them? I like them quite a bit on my ErgoDox EZ, but my style of "rolling typing" still causes quite a bit of mistakes with them, in both directions. Inadvertent capital letters instead of letter pairs or vice versa. I even removed Win-key from home row as too dangerous. It is starting to feel like I won't be able to learn new type of typing.

I'm not sure if I should try to find a hardware of software solution. One option I'm considering is replacing the Cherry MX Red switches on the home row with tactiles. There are some options on the Oryx software which might help, but it's hard to estimate what effect they would have. At one point I modified some of them, but it seemed to make things slightly worse.

This week I also started another round of tinkering with my layout, giving it some 45% functionality to bring the number keys to easier reach. Although my character keys are cryptographically randomized I do pretty much remember them, so I switched the keycaps to show the second layer, as best as I could.

I takes a little while to get used to them. I forgot the variable name but I slightly increased the time you need to hold a key down before it registers as a mod. But it was only a tiny tweak, the main thing is just using it and getting used to it.

That said, removing the win-key isn't a bad idea because it its probably the least useful, can be bad if you activate it by accident, and is typically on your weakest and slowest finger. You could also increase the hold time to activate it I guess, you don't need it to pop as fast as shift, for example.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I miss having a Delete key on my 60% so if you use that a lot don't get it. Otherwise its great.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Fn (or whatever your layer mod key is) + backspace works pretty nicely on your standard 60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really liked the 60% Corsair K70 mini pro wireless when I tried it out but don't get a 60 if you're the kind of person who needs dedicated arrow keys (or a volume roller/knob, most don't have one). It was a dealbreaker for me