Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

like i get it, other resident evil games have you blasting stuff within five minutes, but that's still an absolutely hilarious gamer brain thing to say when a game dares to do the tiniest amount of buildup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Resident Evil 2 lets you get straight to Resident Evil stuff which is why it's so much better

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can in 1 if you open the front door a couple of times.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

2 even gives you a key pretty much immediately

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Resident Evil 2 lets you get straight to Resident Evil stuff which is why it's so much better

It does, but the Remake's retcon of the journey to the police station is easily one of the most crushing things about it, and switching Kendo's shop to half way through the game only partly makes up for it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I liked going through the city, Racoon city on the psx looked straight out of magazine article on American cities, but with more broken glass and blood everywhere

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I liked going through the city, Racoon city on the psx looked straight out of magazine article on American cities, but with more broken glass and blood everywhere

So like a 2023 American City.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Anyone excited for Remake 4? I know I am!

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

gonna pass on it because i wasnt a fan of the original 4, will probably watch a lp instead

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

0 rows returned posted:

gonna pass on it because i wasnt a fan of the original 4, will probably watch a lp instead

:goofy:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

0 rows returned posted:

Same, it was clearly going to be a comedy about two bumbling not Spanish cops trying to keep up with Leon.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

They just confirmed ng+ and photo mode for resident evil 4.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hell yeah, photo mode should be legally required for big new releases.

I'm looking at you, Dead Space.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

They just confirmed ng+ and photo mode for resident evil 4.

It's time for me to go buckwild with the LASER BLASTER in 4K

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hell yeah, photo mode should be legally required for big new releases.

I'm looking at you, Dead Space.

No games can match Souls/Elden Ring, but all others need to learn to have the disappearing HUD when nothings happening for screenshot purposes

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't really play RE games anymore unless they're ones I have a lot of nostalgia for. So no real interest in RE4R apart from watching others play it. Hopefully slowbeef streams it as soon as it comes out like he did RE2R.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I preordered RE4 deluxe for the bonus costumes without looking up what the costumes were, but now that I have seen them I see I made a wise investment. Would've paid ten extra bucks for Romantic Leon alone. Resident Evil 4: The Witcher.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Still on the fence with RE4 Remake.

RE4 is a game I've played a poo poo load of but still don't know if I actually like, which is a pretty damning combination in the context of playing any more of it. However if it turns out to be a total home run Resident Evil game in its own right like RE2R was - and I think that's very possible - then I'm probably in. If it runs great on Steam Deck then that will almost certainly tip me over the edge.

Capcom have so firmly established a pattern of re-releasing and remaking games that everybody probably has their own order of when they want things now. Firmly top of my list is the original PS1 trilogy packaged up and released on modern storefronts and Steam. Genuinely baffled why this doesn't exist yet.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I played re4 HD project last year and boy does the game look beautiful with it, more remasters should follow that trend where you even get fooled thinking "this is just how it looked back when" until you toggle back on the old textures

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It occurred to me recently that I've never actually played the original RE1.

What's the best way to play it?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pull out your DS and play Deadly Silence.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sponges posted:

Remake with the upscaler mod. Game still looks great.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Mulva posted:

Remake with the upscaler mod. Game still looks great.

I shoulda been more clear. The PS1 one. I love the remake though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

sponges posted:

I shoulda been more clear. The PS1 one. I love the remake though.

Best way? I mean. Files probably. PS+ premium has it. DS had a decent port. Just play whatever version you can get your hands on and select the original mode or whatever it’s called.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

To elaborate: you want Director’s Cut or earlier, NOT the “DualShock version” as that had the replaced soundtrack with the clown farts.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

man nurse posted:

To elaborate: you want Director’s Cut or earlier, NOT the “DualShock version” as that had the replaced soundtrack with the clown farts.

The tragedy is that there are some good songs in that OST, too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQdj-8yH3c

Also what everyone should do is buy a Sega Saturn and a copy of RE1 for that. Also while I was kidding, I looked up copies of Saturn RE1 on ebay. Fuckin' hell, this is no laughing matter.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 19, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

man nurse posted:

Whoa now, let's not get all ahead of ourselves here

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whoa now, let's not get all ahead of ourselves here

Basement theme gets 99% of the hate but the rest of the soundtrack isn’t very good either.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Play the Director's Cut version and you get a Colt Python with infinite ammo for completing the game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol I unlocked the infinite minigun in Re2 for a friend, only to later remember I haven't done that for myself yet

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Dualshock edition OST kicks rear end, and if you ain't down with it, you can get eaten by a big plant, or something

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

NikkolasKing posted:

Also what everyone should do is buy a Sega Saturn and a copy of RE1 for that. Also while I was kidding, I looked up copies of Saturn RE1 on ebay. Fuckin' hell, this is no laughing matter.

yeah its worth owning for the experience of the OST if you're one of those weirdo RE collectors like myself and everyone else in this thread. gotta play something between the big releases! sega saturn version was my first ever play of re1 too and even i forgot about the ticks in the sewers, who were just weird reskinned hunters. the battle mode was kinda fun.

also re 1.5 just got an update too, if anyone is curious.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 20, 2023

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Just in time, they found a glitch way to block the chainsaw in re4 og lmao

https://twitter.com/linkthehyIian/status/1627409256390459395?t=IBdi-byVMawWbGycbhzo-Q&s=19

Little menu pause before it hits stops the decap. Seems to be only in the HD versions tho.

Edit: im being told its not a glitch but an actual thing that can happen in the game without doing anything :confused:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

sponges posted:

Three options worth going for:
1 -- Director's Cut for PSX (but NOT DualShock Edition unless you really hate your ears).
Comes with three two modes; Standard (which is just the original game) & Advanced (which shuffles items, uses a few new camera angles and makes enemies more durable/dangerous) for not-quite-endless replayability! Okay so 'Training' is a thing too but this removes all the difficulty and turns the game into more of a monster hunt than a survival horror experience.

2 -- Deadly Silence for NDS.
DC-lite, sort of. You can skip doors & cutscenes, the quick-turn from RE3 onward has been implemented, the knife is mapped to L much like in RE4, and there's a REbirth mode to boot which takes advantage (and ultimately overuses IMHO) the NDS touchpad and mic capabilities, while also shuffling a few items around similar to how Advanced does in DC. No new camera angles for this mode though, and being a NDS title the resolution is low and makes everything look crunchier than usual, especially the backgrounds. Still, it's definitely worth a look.

3 -- PC version with the Classic Rebirth patch.
Doesn't include any new modes or the like, it's just the original game but with some QoL additions, such as the quick-turn and mapping buttons to whatever the hell you want them to be. Doors can be skipped, but not cutscenes. There are also a fair number of mods out there for this version, and of course there's the randomiser, which is always a good time (unless it's just throwing Hunters at you constantly. That's not so good). As a bonus (sort of), NG+ ups the difficulty to that of the original game's Western versions, though it doesn't disable auto-aim.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Play the Director's Cut version and you get a Colt Python with infinite ammo for completing the game.
But only if you get the good ending on Advanced mode :eng101:

NikkolasKing posted:

:goofy:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I hit a bucket-list moment today by running a piece on the Escapist:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/the-fascinating-flaws-of-resident-evil-6/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I hit a bucket-list moment today by running a piece on the Escapist:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/the-fascinating-flaws-of-resident-evil-6/

I enjoyed that, it's a good summary. An unfocused mess that constantly gets in its own way is a good way to describe the game, even not being one of its biggest haters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Tell me more about this breakdancing shotgun move

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sH95YrJKEI

???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Firing 3 shots from a double-barreled shotgun is very Resident Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Halloween Jack posted:

Firing 3 shots from a double-barreled shotgun is very Resident Evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or3okI_mad8