Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Volmarias posted:

Sounds like it's time to eject

Dumb poo poo your work does: Sounds like it's time to eject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Volmarias posted:

Sounds like it's time to eject

No poo poo. Your notice requirement goes out the window the first time a paycheck is late, and you should too. If you can't, just stop showing up when you get another gig.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Came into work a bit late today since I have very little to do and worked a really long day on Friday and I guess the restaurant is closed until evening to take pictures for a furniture company? Weird. Not an issue or anything just had no idea it was happening.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Not really my work, but I'm looking at it: Circuit diagram with >50 components produced in tyool 2022 in the UK by a high tech, established company. All specific values present, all chips numbered, every voltage in and out for every chip, op amp etc. individually labelled despite them all being 5V.

Hand drawn in pen on a sheet of printer paper, notes in lovely handwriting and all, then photographed and submitted as working copy.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

goatface posted:

Not really my work, but I'm looking at it: Circuit diagram with >50 components produced in tyool 2022 in the UK by a high tech, established company. All specific values present, all chips numbered, every voltage in and out for every chip, op amp etc. individually labelled despite them all being 5V.

Hand drawn in pen on a sheet of printer paper, notes in lovely handwriting and all, then photographed and submitted as working copy.

LMAO :lmao: :lol:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Someone needs to learn CAD or something

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Machai posted:

Someone needs to learn CAD or something

there are programs that automatically make diagrams based on specs; hell, there are programs that automatically figure out circuit design for you based on specs you input and then you can engineer the PCB the way you want after the program already designs the PCB for you

that is unacceptable angry old man bullshit in tyool 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

goatface posted:

That kind of sounds better than the opposite "nicely done CAD that omits most useful information", depending on what you're doing with it?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Computer viking posted:

That kind of sounds better than the opposite "nicely done CAD that omits most useful information", depending on what you're doing with it?

the CAD diagrams I use(d) at work label every part on the PCB and have a printed list of part numbers for both sides :shrug:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not doing anything with it, purely incidental info on my end. It just seemed a bizarre thing to find in this day and age. There are even some digitally produced ones in the same set.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

goatface posted:

It just seemed a bizarre thing to find in this day and age.

It is, I bet it was preproduction design stuff that they just included for completion if the package included CAD as well.

Still, pretty wild as hell to see that just out in the open. Neat stuff.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

goatface posted:

:chanpop:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MrQwerty posted:

the CAD diagrams I use(d) at work label every part on the PCB and have a printed list of part numbers for both sides :shrug:

Depending on the program you can paste a CAD model into an assembler and have a PCB produce overnight. In my old job we had a company like that for those parts and another who used a proprietary program to produce interface plates from Al sheets. Companies dealing in tooling to finished products have started to require accurate 3D models with all features detailed before they'll even start the quoting process and it's driving companies like mine insane. We've more or less been using the same vendors for parts far longer than we've been producing CAD models, so trying to transfer parts to new manufacturers (part of my job) is difficult because no one wants to deal with a 2D drawings. Even our internal quoting system can only accept accurate and defined (read: has PMI) 3D models, but the parts I'm dealing in all have "placeholders," rather than accurate 3D designs. We have something that looks like the piece we're talking about, but carries none of the attributes and may not be correctly sized, I found a part that the drawing had a 10" diameter vs. the model's .098" diameter, for example. We are in so much trouble and I don't think my superiors understand how bad things are because they aren't BOM/Design people.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

goatface posted:

We moved office and after negotiating details the building owner emails me a printed out agreement he'd scribbled the updates on and scanned, including the previous company scribbled out and our company written above it. Just a colossal mess. I spent two hours rewriting the whole thing in word so if something happened the lawyers could at least read it.

In addition to sending him a pdf for review I also sent him the open word doc explaining he could make edits if needed or just save it for next time. Mostly just to be nice and garner some good will.

Motherfucker prints off the word doc, scribbles in his edits, scans and emails it back to me. Maybe he did it as some kind of dumbfuck flex? He owns a reasonably sized contracting company with a bunch of staff, and has assistants and bookkeepers to help him.

80% of boomer brains calcified in 1993 and are completely irredeemable.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

Depending on the program you can paste a CAD model into an assembler and have a PCB produce overnight. In my old job we had a company like that for those parts and another who used a proprietary program to produce interface plates from Al sheets. Companies dealing in tooling to finished products have started to require accurate 3D models with all features detailed before they'll even start the quoting process and it's driving companies like mine insane. We've more or less been using the same vendors for parts far longer than we've been producing CAD models, so trying to transfer parts to new manufacturers (part of my job) is difficult because no one wants to deal with a 2D drawings. Even our internal quoting system can only accept accurate and defined (read: has PMI) 3D models, but the parts I'm dealing in all have "placeholders," rather than accurate 3D designs. We have something that looks like the piece we're talking about, but carries none of the attributes and may not be correctly sized, I found a part that the drawing had a 10" diameter vs. the model's .098" diameter, for example. We are in so much trouble and I don't think my superiors understand how bad things are because they aren't BOM/Design people.

some of the PCBs we were producing have so many holes of empty, soldered pads cuz it wasn't worth it to make a new screen and bridges from old parts to just "large" SMD caps after rev. 23 it's just absolutely insane they added pads rather than redesigning, but hey, if you can make it work

had one we stopped producing last year where you had to manually fix a bridge from 2 pads to a cap on pretty much every board because it was just short of actually connecting in the oven and it required a rework reflow, but it works!

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 20, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MrQwerty posted:

some of the PCBs we were producing have so many holes of empty, soldered pads cuz it wasn't worth it to make a new screen and bridges from old parts to just "large" SMD caps after rev. 23 it's just absolutely insane they added pads rather than redesigning, but hey, if you can make it work

had one we stopped producing last year where you had to manually fix a bridge from 2 pads to a cap on pretty much every board because it was just short of actually connecting in the oven and it required a rework reflow, but it works!

Speaking of rework... My work has been using a 3rd party controller for a new project for a few months now. I recently opened one of these up because I needed to change jumper settings. What I found made me pause and ask the project manager if we had already opened it and modified it. No was the answer.

Oh that's some kind of ground bar, neat!

Hold on, gonna hot glue this MOV to the Ethernet port

Feels good to be working with mature products

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

Speaking of rework... My work has been using a 3rd party controller for a new project for a few months now. I recently opened one of these up because I needed to change jumper settings. What I found made me pause and ask the project manager if we had already opened it and modified it. No was the answer.

Oh that's some kind of ground bar, neat!

Hold on, gonna hot glue this MOV to the Ethernet port

Feels good to be working with mature products

holy fuckin lol

I had to scrap out a board on that last run I did by myself and I'm pretty sure it's because the gridlocks in the printer popped an air leak right at the end of the run and it send me a panel with a board that was so full of bridges I'd have to scrap SMD parts full of plastic then try to resolder them by hand, which I was not doing, and then the next one had a couple bridges I could fix with wick, then it went back to normal. Thankfully those panels had 42 boards a piece and 1 was actually affected as far as I could tell from the AOI.

That's some real making things keep working poo poo.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 20, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That ethernet port is actually a heatsink and any ethernet functionality is just legacy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Tbf I think that's a USB port block. I think the Eth is next to it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

Tbf I think that's a USB port block. I think the Eth is next to it.

edit: I think those are ETH, the USB dropin is on the right

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 20, 2023

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Someone i know changed jobs: same company, different facility.

It took 5 weeks to get the directory updated so when people looked them up they would see the correct location, job title, and extension.

It took multiple calls to the new manager and hr to get this done. It isnt anyones job as far as anyone can tell.

Somehow, in that process, their health coverage got misplaced and they are now not covered at all according to the insurance company. Still got the money taken out of the paycheck though, of course.

Im thinking this new location might be …. Not Good.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i have today off to celebrate the worst criminals in the history of this dead gay country

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

fresh_cheese posted:

Someone i know changed jobs: same company, different facility.

It took 5 weeks to get the directory updated so when people looked them up they would see the correct location, job title, and extension.

It took multiple calls to the new manager and hr to get this done. It isnt anyones job as far as anyone can tell.

Somehow, in that process, their health coverage got misplaced and they are now not covered at all according to the insurance company. Still got the money taken out of the paycheck though, of course.

Im thinking this new location might be …. Not Good.

when they shifted us to 8s from 12s at the drug factory, I and 6 other people had to get in a fight with them because instead of dropping our diff from $1.50/hr to $1/hr, they dropped us to no diff, despite being on 2nd shift. They didn't fix it for 6 weeks, and then fought us over whether or not they owed us back compensation for the 6 weeks we clocked into work. They started paying us our diff after about 4 weeks, but It took about 5 months to rectify pay, and they were very loving angry about all of it. I very distinctly remember HR telling me that I was not owed any backpay because I may have been lying about compensation, to which my response was the noise, "!".

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

thathonkey posted:

i have today off to celebrate the worst criminals in the history of this dead gay country

We don't get today off, but the office is dead

Also the boss put on some music, and a dude on our team thought Aerosmith was the Rolling Stones. Which, who gives a poo poo but the conversation was :psyduck:

"Is that like the Rolling Stones?"

"Nah, Aerosmith."

"So it IS the Rolling Stones - I knew it sounded familiar."

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

thathonkey posted:

I didn’t know today was Billionaire’s Day

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

guy from work didn’t understand the concept of a cocktail

not like making bad ones or anything, he’d never heard of the idea, and couldn’t quite grasp how it was meant to work

he wasn’t even a mormon or anything like that

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

goatface posted:

My boss has had idea for hvac piping that are sketched out on a piece of foam, the top of a pizza box, and on a napkin. To his credit he does hand it over to engineering for someone to then draw it up in solidworks before giving it to a customer, but the foam one in particular hung around for a while.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Combo posted:

My boss has had idea for hvac piping that are sketched out on a piece of foam, the top of a pizza box, and on a napkin.

3 separate ideas, or did he tape the bits together?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

VileLL posted:

guy from work didn’t understand the concept of a cocktail

not like making bad ones or anything, he’d never heard of the idea, and couldn’t quite grasp how it was meant to work

he wasn’t even a mormon or anything like that

One dude I met had absolutely zero conception of what toasting to something was - he wasn't a teetotaler or anything and was in fact drinking at the time, he had just apparently gone 20+ years of his life completely ignorant of the concept, and when someone tried explaining it to him he audibly scoffed and exclaimed that he couldn't possibly see what relevance that would ever have to his life.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

3 separate ideas, or did he tape the bits together?

3 separate, these are just the famous ones.

Like 8 months ago, he walked through my area (quality control, where I test things to make sure they meet customer spec before they go out) and casually mentioned that he had an idea for these ports that we would add to every chamber we build, and we could hook any optional thing that the customer wanted to it with just small modifications. He was talking to myself and the production manager. Ok, sounds cool, we should get some of us together, have a meeting to figure out how to pull it off, test it, all that fun stuff, right? Nope.

After he mentioned that, he went straight upstairs and told the head of sales that every product we sell will now have this idea. He didn't tell myself or the production manager, it was just an off the cuff comment to us.

Sales has been apparently promising this option to customers with no knowledge to anyone else in the rest of the company, least of all the people that actually like..build the product. We've already had one customer now asking why these ports weren't installed.

It's neat.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You should shake him until his brain escapes

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

thathonkey posted:

Kissinger is still alive, and today isn't Columbus day.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

We have a pretty bad keg shortage. One solution management floated was using Suntory kegs after we emptied them at our bars. Something didn't sit right with me about that but it was brought up at the end of a meeting right before a very busy end of the week. I suddenly thought about it again last night as I was going to bed. Turns out it's probably illegal on top of being a fairly impractical solution. To their credit, when I said this they decided to axe the idea.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My work gave me a bonus equal to 40% of my pay for selling less units than I promised to.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Barudak posted:

My work gave me a bonus equal to 40% of my pay for selling less units than I promised to.

It's like you stack overloaded the algorithm or something. Teach me.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Barudak posted:

Start doing stock buybacks, but stock as in inventory

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Graphic design is our passion.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Prog album artwork vibes

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Barudak posted:

man between whatever the gently caress it is you do and aardvark working at the meeting factory I have learned about some very magical, esoteric careers lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

goatface posted:

Prog album artwork vibes

I was thinking “Courage the Cowardly Dog” extradimensional character design, I mean the character is not supposed to be from Courage’s dimension. But some of the creatures on that show have strong prog rock album vibes.

Or

It looks like somebody was working on a cat coloring book, then stuck some eye stickers from a Lisa Frank collection on the page, then cut out the cat in a vaguely cat-like shape.

For example:

No I don’t know why that cat only has 3 toes on each paw. Cartoon rules? Birth defect? Drawing from memory and forgetting that cats usually have 4 toes that touch the ground when they walk (as opposed to their thumbs, which are not opposable).