Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Found a torn off shingle from the roof the other week, went up yesterday and noticed a lot of wear on the shingles. Based on the bad blog pictures, this amount of granule loss I think means it's time for a new roof, but maybe I'm wrong? This was average for the bad shingles, and they were probably 20% of the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of roofs, we finally got our roof poo poo squared away.

Really long story here is that we talked to a few other agents in the area and explained the situation. They basically told us that they wouldn't be able to give us a definitive answer until it was evaluated by the underwriting team, but would 'probably come back with a similar answer', so... Anyway, we went through the process of getting bids, ranging from $25k to $45k for identical product, so the lesson here is, 'definitely get bids'.

The next step here is to eventually replace the boiler system. It's 20 years old, but if I can get another 2 - 4 years out of it, I'd be so, so happy.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Speaking of roofs, we finally got our roof poo poo squared away.

Really long story here is that we talked to a few other agents in the area and explained the situation. They basically told us that they wouldn't be able to give us a definitive answer until it was evaluated by the underwriting team, but would 'probably come back with a similar answer', so... Anyway, we went through the process of getting bids, ranging from $25k to $45k for identical product, so the lesson here is, 'definitely get bids'.

The next step here is to eventually replace the boiler system. It's 20 years old, but if I can get another 2 - 4 years out of it, I'd be so, so happy.

I dunno much about boilers, but 20 years old seems pretty spritely and young from what I've read. I would be surprised if it didn't make it to 25 with manufacturer recommended maintenance.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

I dunno much about boilers, but 20 years old seems pretty spritely and young from what I've read. I would be surprised if it didn't make it to 25 with manufacturer recommended maintenance.

I'm also pretty new to this and just picking up bits of info, but my understanding is that it depends on your heat transfer metal. If it's Cast Iron, they apparently can just keep on going for decades. For Stainless Steel, a couple decades is 'about normal'. Ours are Stainless Steel, specifically a Munchkin 140 and 199. Their maintenance history is on the casing, and they seem to be somewhat adequately maintained over the years, but the 199 is on the fritz these days and has a crack that we had filled with silicon by a technician. It starts now, but it needs to be power cycled once every 24 hours or so because of some kind of 'limit exceeded' error. I think the 140 is in good shape. The current plan is to get the 140 serviced and the 199 looked at and hope for the best.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Edit: wrong thread

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 19, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fighting my garage door. The door itself is newish, maybe 10yrs old max, but the opener and associated bits are old, I can't find any dates on it but its has to at least be from the 80s or older. The opener itself hums along quietly and works great though. Can't really find anything from this brand, so I'm assuming it's rebadged.

The issue is the trolley, it keeps popping apart. There's an inner rod with springs on either end, and the trolley sits over top of that.

The part I'm pointing to here is where it keeps popping out. I've reinstalled it and tightened the adjusting nut, but it still slips out after a few open/close cycles. I feel like a part is missing here to retain it, but it's so old I can't really find diagrams or anything.

I'm fine with just replacing the trolley if I need to, but this style sits over a round bar and none of the modern replacements I see look even close.

opengl fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 19, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Making sure I have this right: the rod that is attached to the springs & drive chain is popping out of the slot it’s in?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

Making sure I have this right: the rod that is attached to the springs & drive chain is popping out of the slot it’s in?

Correct. Where I have the arrow, the rod starts creeping out as soon as the first actuation of the opener, but soon after the whole thing comes out.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would craft a strap (more of a plate) out of a scrap of 20-ga or thicker steel (a ceiling box mounting plate for a light fixture, for example), drill 1 or two holes through the trolley, and bolt it across the gap along the back inch or so of the slot…making sure the bolt doesn’t interfere with the swing of the trolley arm as the door reaches the horizontal. You could wrap it over the top & use one bolt.

It looks like there should be a couple of washers where the nuts contact the front & rear, and that over the years, the comparatively heavier load when pulling the door up has worn down the back face of the plate so now when under load, ithe back end is riding out.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
OK, I've got a deck that I think was finished with a semi-transparent stain. I'd like to do some touch up work, but I have no idea the color that was used.

If I get a piece of it off it, can I take that to a paint store and have them find/make a match for me? (I could call them, but I was curious this thread's take)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What exactly is inside of a gas oven that draws several hundred watts when the oven is running? I just installed a whole home energy monitoring solution and was kind of surprised to see that.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hot surface ignitor?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Guy Axlerod posted:

Hot surface ignitor?

TIL stuff about gas ovens. I thought they just used some piezo ignition doodad

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

cr0y posted:

TIL stuff about gas ovens. I thought they just used some piezo ignition doodad

If the wattage bothers you, you can get an older oven that has a standing pilot! :v:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
My friend had an under sink water filter develop a crack in the middle of the night. Woke up to what sounded like someone showering…it was spraying water all over for at least a few hours. Basically all interior drywall measured 20+% on the moisture meter 6-18” off the floor, even after 2 days of drying out. :(

Fuckin water, man.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

CarForumPoster posted:

My friend had an under sink water filter develop a crack in the middle of the night. Woke up to what sounded like someone showering…it was spraying water all over for at least a few hours. Basically all interior drywall measured 20+% on the moisture meter 6-18” off the floor, even after 2 days of drying out. :(

Fuckin water, man.

Water and electricity man. If I ever have the chance to do a new build I've been plotting ways to keep all my pipes and wires outside of the stud bays and easily accessible.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I'm getting bids for artificial turf installation for a portion of the yard that's just dirt. I have high bids and low bids. I'm checking out all insurance and bonding information beforehand to verify. The lowest bid is giving half off on the turf because it's out of season. The other contractors that all have the same estimates are surprised at the lower bid, and also saying things like, "they might not grade it properly" or "the turf is probably from overseas." And while I'm aware that they would want to sway me towards them and not their competition, is there any honor among contractors to steer a person away from other contractors who might have a poor reputation in the trade?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Guy Axlerod posted:

Hot surface ignitor?

That shouldn't stay energized once the burner lights & heats up the thermocouple. Make take a couple minutes, but no longer

CarForumPoster posted:

Fuckin water, man.

Keeps me in car parts. Between 75-95% of the losses I get involve water.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Abyss posted:

I'm getting bids for artificial turf installation for a portion of the yard that's just dirt. I have high bids and low bids. I'm checking out all insurance and bonding information beforehand to verify. The lowest bid is giving half off on the turf because it's out of season. The other contractors that all have the same estimates are surprised at the lower bid, and also saying things like, "they might not grade it properly" or "the turf is probably from overseas." And while I'm aware that they would want to sway me towards them and not their competition, is there any honor among contractors to steer a person away from other contractors who might have a poor reputation in the trade?

Sometimes contractors have honor but those comments don’t imply that they do. Confirm grading is in scope of the low bid and ask for info on the turf product if you’re concerned. I specify a lot of artificial turf and the details we look for are blade length, backing material and does it have a faux thatch.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Abyss posted:

We did this last year.

https://imgur.com/gallery/S5iBEfd

Feel free to ask any specific questions. Probably the greatest quality of life improvement we’ve done to our house.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does your backyard tree get enough water with the astroturf or is it water permeable? How does drainage work when you get a good downpour

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Does your backyard tree get enough water with the astroturf or is it water permeable? How does drainage work when you get a good downpour

With the amount of rain we get here in central florida, ya it gets plenty of rain.

The multiple layers of fill allow great drainage. Also, my house sits higher than all my neighbors house and then there's a lake, so whatever doesn't get soaked up drains down into the lake. When we got hit with the hurricanes this year I had 0 drainage issues in the yard.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Out of curiosity, how does the turf do with dog pee? Does it drain fine by itself or do you have to like spray down the turf after?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Poopelyse posted:

Out of curiosity, how does the turf do with dog pee? Does it drain fine by itself or do you have to like spray down the turf after?

It drains fine, about once a month or so I'll go over the entire area with a turf specific cleaner to get any lingering smell out but otherwise you'd never know we had dogs out there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Applying for a HELOC to cover some upcoming home improvements. Guess I had the assumption that I'd apply to a bunch of banks, get rate estimates, and then let them duke it out in banker thunderdome to get the best rate. Instead, I am learning that I don't actually get jack poo poo in writing until we get to final approval which is approximately 90% of the entire process. I know I shouldn't but I feel like I am now wasting everyone's time and feel like I should tell all but one bank thanks but no thanks. Do just I let them keep doing their thing until the 11th hour?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Do we have a smarthome/home assistant thread somewhere? Considering starting off firing up some smart home insanity and wanna chat with people who’ve been doing this poo poo a while.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Do we have a smarthome/home assistant thread somewhere? Considering starting off firing up some smart home insanity and wanna chat with people who’ve been doing this poo poo a while.

There’s this one in IYG:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963&perpage=40&noseen=1

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Siding crew came by today and worked on the wall above the garage. There was no kick-out flashing into the gutter on this bottom edge of the roof, so the trim board and lowest siding fiber cement board were rotting out. Also installed better flashing along the entire roofline up to the peak. Thankfully, no interior rot from the holes that had opened up. :homebrew:

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Sirotan posted:

Applying for a HELOC to cover some upcoming home improvements. Guess I had the assumption that I'd apply to a bunch of banks, get rate estimates, and then let them duke it out in banker thunderdome to get the best rate. Instead, I am learning that I don't actually get jack poo poo in writing until we get to final approval which is approximately 90% of the entire process. I know I shouldn't but I feel like I am now wasting everyone's time and feel like I should tell all but one bank thanks but no thanks. Do just I let them keep doing their thing until the 11th hour?

this is what we did. the paperwork is all the same so applying for the Nth isn't that much work after you've done the first. you won't really know anything useful until they appraise the house, anyway.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
What is the budget blinds website folks like? Searches yielded nothing.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I've used https://www.blindster.com successfully a couple of times.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Selectblinds.com

Don’t pay full price. They usually have 40-50% off.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Anyone have a recommendation on them things you put along the bottom of the door to stop drafts? Home Depot/Lowes sells a cheap looking one and there are a ton on Etsy of all places. Any particular style work better than the others? I hate buying stuff like this then it turns out to be plastic crap.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sirotan posted:

Yeah you can either do them all, or choose your “favorite” and when you get a real loan offer from that one bank you shop it to the others and ask them to beat it. When they beat it go back to your first bank and ask them if they can beat that better offer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Beef Of Ages posted:

I've used https://www.blindster.com successfully a couple of times.

Me, too. Triple-check your measurements!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

BigHead posted:

Anyone have a recommendation on them things you put along the bottom of the door to stop drafts? Home Depot/Lowes sells a cheap looking one and there are a ton on Etsy of all places. Any particular style work better than the others? I hate buying stuff like this then it turns out to be plastic crap.
The one home Depot sells for exterior doors works well. One door didn't want to stay with the self sticking strip so I loaded it with clear caulk.

Not sure if you are wanting interior door draft stoppers.

For other things 2+ round hollow strips works better than flaps for the bottom seal, but I think those are also more for storm door or exterior as well.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I like the brush kind for the bottom of doors. If you have a draft on the side of the door and the foam stuff isn't working, Alien tape is fantastic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is the one I’ve had on an interior door. Still has full coverage after two years of cats clawing at it. Only issue is it tends to slide away from the hinge side.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cinch-36-in-White-Vinyl-U-Shape-Cinch-Slide-On-Under-Door-Seal-43336/205573049

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty sure the answer is "no, you're dumb and stupid for even asking" but ready to be schooled on why not

This is a "bonus room" walk out basement thing on a hill, it is ~11' deep and ~15' wide. I think if those studs are 16" on center that makes those 48x48" windows? Do the "cripple studs" under the window take any appreciable load? If I talk to a structural engineer and install an appropriately sized steel header, can I stick a 48" door in there?

And then put in something like this 48" wide double interior door (I realize I'd need to find an exterior grade one)

With some paving stones to walk out on from the doors, could make a really nice home office, maybe.

edit: while I'm dreaming, replace all five of those windows with doors, then put a Juliet balcony on each.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hadlock posted:

Pretty sure the answer is "no, you're dumb and stupid for even asking" but ready to be schooled on why not

This is a "bonus room" walk out basement thing on a hill, it is ~11' deep and ~15' wide. I think if those studs are 16" on center that makes those 48x48" windows? Do the "cripple studs" under the window take any appreciable load? If I talk to a structural engineer and install an appropriately sized steel header, can I stick a 48" door in there?

Correct. King studs, jack studs and the header are taking the load to the ground. Those under the window are supporting the window, drywall, exterior sheathing. They aren't even facilitating much shear strength to the wall because of the window itself taking up so much space.

Edit, I mention the shear as that's likely your biggest concern, although this looks like it's framed as an addition to an existing structure. It's worth the investment to have a pro review it.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 28, 2023