Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Ditocoaf posted:

Today was the 20th anniversary of Dinosaur Comics and that makes me feel weird.

Yeah. Something seemed different about it. I'm amazed that Ryan North has been able to keep it reliably entertaining after 20 years of the exact same clipart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the secret is he actually redraws the comic every time.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Re: Wilde Life, lmao Oscar's friends sure are jackasses. He's a totally normal dude who often gets in trouble with supernatural bs, and he is very uncomfortable not taking this naked magic girl to a hospital, but let's just ditch him as soon as we bully him into doing what we want.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

You'd really think they'd have some caution, given how many times mystery girls have nearly gotten him killed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd forgotten about Wilde Life so I'm getting caught up. I was not prepared for Hanyl.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Goddamn knew it was a bad idea. Goddammit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Where the hell did she even get that

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Mmm, whatcha saaaay, mm, that you only meant well? Well of course you did....

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Impatiently waiting for the next Clown Corps just to see how Mustard responds to all this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oscar don't be so goddamn dense. Seriously.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Splicer posted:

Oscar don't be so goddamn dense. Seriously.

To be fair, this woman is a total psycho.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wittgen posted:

To be fair, this woman is a total psycho.
Yes but he is acting, apparently sincerely, like she's on about a regular coat.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Splicer posted:

Yes but he is acting, apparently sincerely, like she's on about a regular coat.

My read is more that he's acting like he does not know what the gently caress she is talking about. Sure, it's probably some special or magical coat, but that deduction doesn't give him any workable information. This crazy lady somehow got a gun and is insisting on keeping him hostage despite his repeated attempts to disengage. How do his thoughts on a cost he knows nothing about really help or hinder that situation?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, even if he does figure out exactly what the deal is he's still got a gun pointed at him for something he did nothing about and personally knows nothing about

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think he's acting fairly reasonably trying to talk her down, she's just completely uninterested in being talked down.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think it's actually a good idea for Oscar to start assuming that every person in his life is some kind of magical being just because 100% of them so far have been.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

He also knows the woods are unnaturally dangerous in ways he's not really supposed to explain to any random person (since he doesn't KNOW she's some kind of magical being), so his attempts to convince her are kind of sideways.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ditocoaf posted:

He also knows the woods are unnaturally dangerous in ways he's not really supposed to explain to any random person (since he doesn't KNOW she's some kind of magical being), so his attempts to convince her are kind of sideways.

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think it's actually a good idea for Oscar to start assuming that every person in his life is some kind of magical being just because 100% of them so far have been.
She was a giant bird that fell out of the sky.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Splicer posted:

She was a giant bird that fell out of the sky.

...I might have missed that page.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rand Brittain posted:

...I might have missed that page.
1151 to 1155.

Also page 1156 is basically this page of the thread with me playing the part of Cliff.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I mean, he could be like 'You're clearly some kind of bird-selkie', but that's just going to make her more paranoid that he's after her coat if she thinks he knows why it's important.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Wilde Life: I'm still not sure how she managed to pull a gun on him in the first place. It's either conjured out of nothing (fake) or conjured out of nothing (real) so I guess that's another thing Oscar can't really do anything about but still.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 22, 2023

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Or Eliza just keeps a gun in that bedroom I guess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What is the update schedule on Wilde Life? I'd prefer to read it by chapters, but if you guys are going to discuss every page in detail as it comes out I'll need to do likewise or leave the thread. And if I leave the thread, I won't get good recommendations like Wilde Life.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Wilde Life's default is Mon-Wed-Fri, conversation on it is presumably heating up now because events in the strip are also a bit tense.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We could start using spoiler tags if that will help.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Drakyn posted:

Wilde Life's default is Mon-Wed-Fri.

Thanks. I couldn't find it on the page, and of course it's been erratic the last two months.

And spoiler tags would be nice, thank you. It's not important for things like Something Positive or QC that you read day by day, but strips like Wilde Life and Girl Genius are effectively graphic novels published one page at a time and work much better - for me, at least - when read in large chunks. It feels like that's the authorial intent. Would a policy along the lines of "use tags for the current chapter of long form stories" be excessive?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It might not be a bad idea to spin up two threads, one for gag a day comics and "chapter complete" watersheds, and another that's basically big blocks of

Wilde Life: WordsWordsWords WordsWordsWords WordsWordsWords WordsWordsWords WordsWordsWords

Never Satisfied: WordsWordsWords WordsWordsWords WordsWordsWords WordsWordsWords WordsWordsWords

etc.

I might be just trying to get someone to make a big op full of good chapter comics though

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 22, 2023

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This thread and its predecessor have had a bunch of different spoiler attitudes over the years, but "Spoiler stuff from the current chapter of story comics" seems like something I'd personally be happy to follow.

We definitely don't need to split the thread up, it's been on life support for a while now. "Let's recommend some good story comics" is a great idea though! I'm going to dig through my RSS feed and put together a list when I have some time later.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, if anything I'd prefer to try and merge some of the less-prominent webcomics threads back into this one, because I feel like they're accomplishing the opposite of getting those webcomics more attention.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Kind of tangential question:

Are there more or less webcomics in existance today than before? Sometimes I feel like there are more, just incredibly spread apart over the wild web and found through word of mouth or sometimes directories and listings all over the place, but then I remember that huge free hosts like Smackjeeves went down, so maybe there used to be more?

It's honestly hard to keep track of everything that was out there and is no longer there, things that still have their archives up but are abandoned or on hiatus, and the comics outside, for example, Hiveworks, that strugge to get a readership.

The directories and listing out there, none of them have everything and some like topwebcomics list defunct comic that people keep voting out of nostalgia I guess?

It feels like a different, more spread out world today, but maybe it's always been like this?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Webtoons alone hosts several thousand comics and there are multiple sites with the same format, to say nothing of all the comics that people just push to tumblr or twitter etc. The face of webcomics has changed over the past 20 years but there are definitely way more than there have ever been.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think there are more but it's hard to tell because I read far fewer.

Re: Wilde Life: gently caress this bird woman. Disparaging the way Oscar is coping with the violence she is inflicting on him? That is so transcendentally lovely.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Webcomics have, for better or mostly worse, been completely industrialized at this point. There's still quality bespoke stuff out there, of course, even on the content mills, but it's just going to get harder and harder to find anything unique as it gets drowned out in the noise. That's why threads like this are good, get the stuff that deserves to be seen out there where people can see it, even if it's just goons

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SA may not be as big as it used to be but the amount of traffic it's capable of pouring onto stuff is still pretty huge for a fledgling webcomic author.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
we could always start posting comics here as well

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’m trying to track down an old webcomic in the tip of my brain.

It was a funny hospital/medical webcomic in the 2000’s that, at some point after it finished, the author decided to completely delete from the internet.

Bit hazy at this point but it was black and white with the characters drawn as if they were in a serious 1960’s comic.

Searching bringing up nothing, may be insane.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I’m trying to track down an old webcomic in the tip of my brain.

It was a funny hospital/medical webcomic in the 2000’s that, at some point after it finished, the author decided to completely delete from the internet.

Bit hazy at this point but it was black and white with the characters drawn as if they were in a serious 1960’s comic.

Searching bringing up nothing, may be insane.

Could that be Lucid TV?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Wittgen posted:

Could that be Lucid TV?

It was! Big thanks, that was driving me nuts.

Oh neat, looks like the way back machine works for it. Which is weird as I swear it didn’t used to. Maybe I just never tried.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of webcomics that have been deleted from the internet, does anyone know of a way to read Shadowgirls, which was supposed to be lovecraftian Gilmore Girls? By the time I learned of its existence, it was already too late...