Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Adachi and Shimamura just did the old replace the artist with new one trick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Y'know that is a interesting idea; like if different story arcs have very different shifts in tone and themes a new art style could be really interesting as a deliberate choice. Has there been any that does something like that?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Adachi and Shimamura just did the old replace the artist with new one trick!

Oh, interesting. I liked the art so far, hopefully it's not a drastic change or anything.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I think Nier comes off hiatus this weekend

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It does

Anyways, new skip and loafer trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyRGjzS6tTo

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Nitrousoxide posted:

There are 4 different Ascendance of a Bookworm manga each depicting a different arc and each drawn by a different artist! No one is depicting the final arc of Bookworm though.

Yeah this actually drives me a little insane.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah this actually drives me a little insane.

I feel like that's not uncommon for adaptations of series that are already like 12+ volumes in when they start. If they did that stuff serially instead of in parallel you'd be looking at taking something like a decade or more to finish.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Agronox posted:

Oh, interesting. I liked the art so far, hopefully it's not a drastic change or anything.

The English release is the Moke version which is when they did the artist switch and rebooted the manga. The old version really only exists in English as scans

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Y'know that is a interesting idea; like if different story arcs have very different shifts in tone and themes a new art style could be really interesting as a deliberate choice. Has there been any that does something like that?

every chapter of higurashi is drawn with a new artist in the manga

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Colonel posted:

every chapter of higurashi is drawn with a new artist in the manga

That's pretty neat!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Julias posted:

It does

Anyways, new skip and loafer trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyRGjzS6tTo

Hell yes

Mitsumi is a huge dork and she rules

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

Shaft, somewhere in the season 2 bonus eps of SZS, kind of.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ok my thoughts unasked

Kaina : Sigh I am a huge fan of Nihei’s works and I am struggling here, the setting and characters just seem so flat and one dimensional, will continue watching because again love this guy’s stuff but for now it seems to be his first huge miss

Vinland Saga S2 : Just amazing, completely engrossed in Thorfinn somehow working through the trauma of his childhood

Trigun : I know its sorta doing its own thing regarding the source material but ya know its fine, so far it’s fantastic, imo the animation has been top notch and almost feature film worthy

Nier : never played the game, enjoying this as much as I think the sexy maid outfit is stupid and ridiculous

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Koirhor posted:

Kaina : Sigh I am a huge fan of Nihei’s works and I am struggling here, the setting and characters just seem so flat and one dimensional, will continue watching because again love this guy’s stuff but for now it seems to be his first huge miss

Yeah, its just kinda boring. Seems like an example of putting a lot of effort into "world building" and not developing anything else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ28u-8c-hI

oshi no ko anime pv

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

the mou ippon! op is very good, i did not think much about it at first but it has really been growing on me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this spring season has some powerful protagonist names even if the animes are bad

Mash Burnedead
Gabimaru the Hollow
Shion Bladearts
Polka Shinoyama
Cain von Silford

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
None of them have yet topped Perv Asshat.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Meanwhile Gundam has been having primo dumbass names as a direct result of none of Gundam's producers telling Tomino "you are not naming this guy 'M'quve'". Now we've got all-timers like "Kakrikorn Kacooler", "Fixx Bloodman", "Bork Cry", "Roybea Roy", and of course the legendary "Bring Stabity".

Basically I'm glad that franchise has had a positive impact on Japanese anime names.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the greatest anime thing name of all time is the show Heroic Age

'oh, like an age of heroes?'
'no, the protagonist is named Age'

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Gundam AGE might have been better if it was about Age.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

the greatest anime thing name of all time is the show Heroic Age

'oh, like an age of heroes?'
'no, the protagonist is named Age'
masterwork

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have a soft spot for dumb isek names like Rulfia Nova Nobleisse von Shlecktor

Omnicrom posted:

Meanwhile Gundam
Full Frontal

Lmboa.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wootbit. Wootbit? Wootbit.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i'm going to name every one of my children after various baked goods

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I prefer to name my minions after breakfast staples.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
PV for Uma Musume S3, airs sometime this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Uig87OgIk

And a PV for a spin-off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ7rv98fgH4

Exia fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 22, 2023

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Megamissen posted:

the mou ippon! op is very good, i did not think much about it at first but it has really been growing on me

The band (Subway Daydream) just released their first album last month, it's pretty good, check it out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

watching the trailers for spring anime without knowing anything about what they are or what they're based on

MASHLE - ok so it's not a dating app for M*A*S*H fans (that's all folks, tip your waiters). this trailer is not super helpful because it makes it look like it's gonna be Yakitate but for cream puffs, but then it's like "actually that was a fake trailer, hahaha". so idk. i guess it gives you the vibe of the show, that it might be Gintama-y in nature. these characters look more bratty to me tho in comparison to Gintama's goated cast

The Legendary Hero is Dead - fun premise, although i actually had that as an idea once years ago so it can't be that novel if my dumb brain thought of it. the possessing of the dead hero's body is interesting i guess. i like some of the comedic reactions. but the MC is a pervert with a thigh fetish?? pervert MCs are kinda boring.... meh

Hell's Paradise - seemed cool for about 30 seconds and then it's just a death game/battle royale on an island. booooooooo. make it romance instead

Dead Mount Death Ray - ohh this looks very dumbedge, hmmmmmmmm. maybe. i can't get over the MC's name being Polka. that rules

The Reason Why Raeliana Ended Up At The Duke’s Mansion - seems interesting, it's another "isekaied into a LN/otome" but this time the protagonist is sinister?? seems like it could have some mind games and v tense scenes if done well

A Galaxy Next Door - ohhh the Sweetness & Lightning author. i figured this was just gonna be a gentle anime about making manga but the woman is an alien??? and the MC urusei yatsuras himself into an engagement?? woops! could be neat

My Home Hero - i appreciate this throwback to the kind of psych-thriller that was more typical of the 2000s. it looks a bit visually undercooked tho, like the animation is just doing enough to convey what's going on and not going beyond that. still, i'll give it a shot

Yuri Is My Job - uhh I mean I guess it's a better title than the German one they keep showing ("sisters in love") lol. i don't think the characters are actually literal sisters so much as it's the cafe's 'theme' or whatever. but i'm not really into CGCT shows by default anyway, unless they're super good. trailer didn't really sell it

AYAKA - another one of a person sent to an island... but this one actually looks like it has some meat to it. the studio (studio blanc) doesn't seem to have a very storied portfolio though they did do Life Lessons with Uramichi, and.. hey, you're always as good as your last at-bat, right?

Sacrificial Princess & the King of Beasts - ...my roommate's gonna love this one lol

The Aristocrat's Otherworldly Adventure - could not care less

Skip to Loafer - I like the character designs, seems decently budgeted. trailer doesn't give me much though since it feels like it's made for the fans, just showing very unrelated clips to show off the voice cast. so all i can get is a vibe. ppl say the manga is good tho, so, i will give it a shot. yeah this one i knew about beforehand, whatever!!! the premise of this post was mostly true

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I know that mashle is supposed to be really funny and self-aware but 1) half the isekais try to sell themselves like that nowadays, and 2) what little I saw of the manga was indistinguishable from every other "we have a high-concept gimmick about our protagonist but we have so little confidence in it that we revert back to generic 'I DO THE MAGIC REAL GOOD' plot by like the second episode" magic user isekai

is it actually worth a read/watch

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

mashle only has like two jokes, and one or the other of them is occasionally good enough to keep me reading. You're probably safe passing on it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Mashle is not an isekai, but hard to say if it's worthwhile anyway. The concept is not particularly original since it's just an OPM deal. I thought the battle stuff was particularly weak and often taking time away from doing gags, though the comedy is inconsistent anyway. That, the unremarkable art, and the characters being so one-note (this seems to be the style of its comedy) couldn't keep me reading for more than 30ish chapters.

So there's stuff I can imagine the anime improving, like making it look better and giving nice movement to things, but I'm not sure if the comedy balance would improve and the characters will probably remain as-is, aside from any later development they got after I stopped reading.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, it's not an isekai for one.

And unlike other "I don't have any powers" show, he doesn't get like the super special magic

He just gets swole

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So few isekai have a power curve like Spider so what's. That's the kind of thing I enjoy because then the pacing is likely to be pretty good and the plot is maybe more focused on exploring and world building?

The fun thing about bleach, dbz, etc is the occurrences of training arcs that tend to involves One Weird Trick solutions to surpassing their current limits. I kinda just hate it when an isekai or similar just front loads all of their abilities so there's barely any effort by the characters to actively get stronger and no threads as a result that actually results in stakes or conflict.

The one clever thing the assassin in another world show did was keep some of the picked abilities or the MCs intentions a mystery as to how to use the picks. I like a good draft format so that's at least maybe a kinda novel approach to the formula.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

hells paradise is pretty well regarded manga-wise i think. its also a complete finished story though i dunno if theyre doing a complete adaptation, it looks long enough chapter count wise to need more than 2 cours

dead mount death play is by the baccano/durarara author so worth a look, i assume its much closer to the latter in style

oshi no ko seems cool but they're doing a triple-length first episode which is a lot to ask of newcomers, i already dont like double-length first episodes. should be a bunch of good character animators on it anyhow

mashle is like 50% to get a 'covid' delay, its the only aniplex show that hasnt been hit yet

none of the many romance series look particularly compelling to me but people swear by skip & loafer and i like the director whos doing it

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Fair, guess I'll skip it then.

On the stuff I know about :

The 7th Guest posted:

A Galaxy Next Door - ohhh the Sweetness & Lightning author. i figured this was just gonna be a gentle anime about making manga but the woman is an alien??? and the MC urusei yatsuras himself into an engagement?? woops! could be neat

Skip to Loafer - I like the character designs, seems decently budgeted. trailer doesn't give me much though since it feels like it's made for the fans, just showing very unrelated clips to show off the voice cast. so all i can get is a vibe. ppl say the manga is good tho, so, i will give it a shot. yeah this one i knew about beforehand, whatever!!! the premise of this post was mostly true

Started reading Galaxy Next Door after randomly stumbling into the japanese trailer on youtube. The premise is nice, the characters are cute, I like stories about mangaka, but by the third chapter or so there's a big exposition dump about the clauses of the ~alien marriage contract~ that kinda killed my interest. It's not ~problematic~ or anything, it just seems like it's gonna lead the plot somewhere annoying and boring.

It's hard to describe exactly what sets Skip and Loafer apart, but it has a very different vibe from any other high school romcom. I'd say it's more of a high school story, in general - obviously there's some romance in the mix, but the author seems dedicated to giving the cast much broader character arcs than who gets to make out with whom. Stuff like who they make friends with, or how they get along with their families, is given as much weight and attention instead of just being background information. I guess this makes it a bit more of a drama, even if the overall tone is pretty upbeat.
Also, the female lead is a huge loving dork and she rules.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dead Mount Death Play is a good manga, very different from what that trailer seems to suggest.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mashle is like one punch man in that the primary joke is satirising shounen tropes, but without the underlying metaplot about feeling divorced from humanity as a result of strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Tales of Woe posted:

oshi no ko seems cool but they're doing a triple-length first episode which is a lot to ask of newcomers, i already dont like double-length first episodes. should be a bunch of good character animators on it anyhow

Guess they want to burn all the setup material that has much less to do with the meat of the early series or even why people seem to particularly like it. Yeah I can see that backfiring for some.

wrt Hells Paradise, Iirc it should fit into 2-cour if that's what they're doing. After the cancellation of Ayashimon it would be nice to at least have this get a full adaptation, even if there's already been concern about the production and mappa will be mappa.