Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

YAR A BUM ROCK!!!

What if my secret mind powers are so secret even I don't know about them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

In retrospect I kind of love the moppets because of how much they don't work. Just two legit creepy criminals in what's otherwise a goofy gang of evil-doers. But small and in cute costumes.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

They would have been better if they weren’t so gross with dr girlfriend. Like how hatred got infinitely better once they got past the pedo poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even without that they're incredibly one note. Just what if these people who look like costume villains are actually just psychotic thugs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think that's part of the deconstruction; they're psychotic Oompa Loompas who only want to kill and maim and express violent psychopathy, where as everyone else is basically just LARPing at being evil (at least by comparison).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They could have worked with some depth, Wide Wale is basically them done right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would have loved to see pics.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/venture-bros-patrick-warburton-goodbye-finale/

quote:

"Never," Warburton said when asked if he was ready to move on from Brock. "One year I decided to go to Comic-Con down in San Diego, and I decided to go as Shore Leave instead of Brock. I was with my son Shane, and he went as Shore Leave too, so we must have looked really kinky together. Nobody even recognized me; people were getting pictures thinking I was just a fan dressed as Shore Leave."

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I love that man. Patrick is so drat awesome

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

That’s surprising, I had him pegged as someone that didn’t really get that into his characters or the show he’s on.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Holy poo poo I love that their conflict of interest disclosure includes an ad for their product.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

TK-42-1 posted:

They would have been better if they weren’t so gross with dr girlfriend. Like how hatred got infinitely better once they got past the pedo poo poo.

Yeah if they weren't needlessly antagonistic toward the other henchmen and consistently being weird about seeing Dr Girlfriend's panties and poo poo they'd be easier to give a pass to.

They've got a fair number of solid one-off moments, like the aforementioned "even his dot is fat", everything in The Buddy System, "we brought our own key!", the "pupa twins"...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

holefoods posted:

That’s surprising, I had him pegged as someone that didn’t really get that into his characters or the show he’s on.

I mean the guy gives his 110% to pretty much everything he does, just look up his work for that Cheeseburger website* he did like a decade ago and that was just an advertising gig, I imagine he has a much deeper connection with the gig that's his second longest in his career

*from my recollection the website itself still exists but they stripped out the audio he did(presumably the contract for it ran out) but I'm pretty sure it got archived on YouTube

TK-42-1 posted:

Agreed though I do appreciate that they actually addressed it instead of just ignoring it like a lesser show would have

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Gaius Marius posted:

Even without that they're incredibly one note. Just what if these people who look like costume villains are actually just psychotic thugs.

The show has always had a weird spitballing relationship with supervillainy versus regular criminals and which one was actually more dangerous. Especially as it went on it wanted to make the main cast and the League more threatening to add weight to the world they were building, but there were always conflicting moments. Like the moppets, that first season episode with a bunch of like teenage gangsters at a mall, or arguably Wide Whale.

By the way, Scare Bare is the boys' mom.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

That rocks. Patrick rocks :allears:

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Dimebags Brain posted:

YAR A BUM ROCK!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j0mvu6-NSM

Yep, their one good scene.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dimebags Brain posted:

What if my secret mind powers are so secret even I don't know about them?
This joke is good but it could easily have been either Hank and Dean or 21+24 delivering it (well, it was written too late for 24, but you get what I mean)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Happy Landfill posted:

That rocks. Patrick rocks :allears:

I really hope he's somehow involved in their next project.

But lets be real, those twins were dead men walking when they started pissing on the Monarchs stuff.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Warburton dressed as shore leave pretending to be Brock

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Moppets did set up "What did I do? What did you do?!"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My favorite Moppets moment was them making GBS threads their pants when The Monarch flat-out threatens to kill them if they gently caress with him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That was a fantastic moment, reminding us all the edge was not lost despite the new domestic situation.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It shows how much of a pro The Monarch really is. All that high class villainy poo poo is a waste of time that could be better spent harassing Rusty.

The entire loving Guild could learn something about hating your enemy from that weird eyebrow freak in the butterfly costume.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Hate to live, don’t live to hate is what I always say.

I do like that on the extreme end you have Red Death who walked that road and realized it’s not a way to live. I think the Monarch has had more character growth than anyone over the last couple seasons. It’s a yin/yang to Rusty and his squandering of his gains because deep down he refuses to give up his notion of what being a super scientist is supposed to be. He loves the game regardless of his purported apathy and disdain. I do hope Rusty and Malcolm somehow find peace because they’re honestly perfect for each other.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

You know the Monarch is fantastic because Red Death respects him. And that guy is terrifying. Total pro.

Mega64 posted:

My favorite Moppets moment was them making GBS threads their pants when The Monarch flat-out threatens to kill them if they gently caress with him.

I'm glad someone else said this. Love this scene the most.

I've never understood the Moppet hate. They are just like beige wallpaper to me. They're fine in the backdrop and have some solid moments, but like what has been said already most of it would have worked with anyone.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 25, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CatstropheWaitress posted:

In retrospect I kind of love the moppets because of how much they don't work. Just two legit creepy criminals in what's otherwise a goofy gang of evil-doers. But small and in cute costumes.

That's why that scene where The Monarch decided to "take a walk" only to get confronted by the Moppets was so great. He was basically speaking for most of the audience. It was also the most menacing he'd sounded in a good goddamned long time.

"I don't like you two."

There's also the scene where they get doused in the Gatorade and just go apeshit on (I think) 24.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sataere posted:

I've never understood the Moppet hate.

They are just overly horny.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mega64 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20v5JqcubXE&ab_channel=AdultSwim

quote:

I've never understood the Moppet hate.

I mean I feel like we've litigated it pretty thoroughly by now but for me it's

1. The aggravating voice.

2. The weird edgey dynamic they bring that doesn't fit

3. The thought that part of it is supposed to be "it's funny because they're little people."

That last one is a weird complaint in a show with Quizboy, but then the Moppets are no Quizboy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They also seemed out of place as Dr Mrs The Monarch's henchmen because she had such a blind spot around them being little creeps when she's otherwise the most levelheaded empathic person in the show.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

She knew them when she was young and just starting out, that might have something to do with it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I don't know if there's a name for this trope but I think of them as stand-ins for the paranoid perception a jealous boyfriend would have of his girlfriend's older close friends. I think they're funny but they took it too far like they did with a lot of things in seasons ~1-3. Molotov Cocktease is also a complete shrug of a character for me tbh.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Molotov Cocktease is just a great pun name from 2000 land, there's only so much you can do with the inevitable character you assign to it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I do love her babysitting the boys, though. I love anytime the boys got babysat.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

you can normalize her they did it with Hatred. "Yeah that was a phase"

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
molotov's insane "normal clothes" may just be my favorite visual gag in the show

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mutantIke posted:

molotov's insane "normal clothes" may just be my favorite visual gag in the show

"Wait, this isn't a disguise? This is how you dress when you're not doing the 'Catwoman' thing?"

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

pixaal posted:

They are just overly horny.

No such thing.

Data Graham posted:

Molotov Cocktease is just a great pun name from 2000 land, there's only so much you can do with the inevitable character you assign to it.

See, I've always found the Molotov/Brock thing hilarious. The commercials for the Brisbyland episode in s1 is what got me watching the show.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Also Molotov actually had a character beyond just being a joke

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Hunter even references maybe having to change her moniker in O.S.I. Love You

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 26, 2023

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Cigar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009