Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The biggest difference between Second Life and all these crypto/meta bullshit worlds is that the people in Second LIfe actually wanted to be there. Second Life's custom furry sex dungeons were actually fun to its players. Those crypto worlds? Entirely filled with bagholders trying to earn fractions of a penny through grinding, or scammers selling virtual Brooklyn Bridges. The corporate Meta worlds? Nothing but sponsored events filled by tech reporters, marketing interns, and influencers doing the bare minimum specified by their sponsorship contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ponzicar posted:

The biggest difference between Second Life and all these crypto/meta bullshit worlds is that the people in Second LIfe actually wanted to be there. Second Life's custom furry sex dungeons were actually fun to its players. Those crypto worlds? Entirely filled with bagholders trying to earn fractions of a penny through grinding, or scammers selling virtual Brooklyn Bridges. The corporate Meta worlds? Nothing but sponsored events filled by tech reporters, marketing interns, and influencers doing the bare minimum specified by their sponsorship contracts.

you forgot the various hangers-on who keep trying to get rich through posting

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bag holders don’t play crypto games themselves, they hire desperate third worlders

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

so this pretty much removes the one and only use for crypto, crime, where it still had some advantage over other currencies, right?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Anse Chung flying cocks was the first time I ever heard of “Something Awful” and it remains extremely funny to this day.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

FAUXTON posted:

still trying to get jeffrey to pay me

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

...! posted:

still trying to get jeffrey to pay me

look what happened to the last guy he paid

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

so this pretty much removes the one and only use for crypto, crime, where it still had some advantage over other currencies, right?

you can still do plenty of crimes
just don't put your crime funds in a custodial account at a centrally controlled exchange* and then sit on it for months waiting for a lawsuit to go through

* this was a smart contract exchange where the central owner had unilateral power to make arbitrary code changes, so like most "decentralized" smart contract poo poo the decentralized bit was purely a marketing buzzword to get dumb coiners to bhuy in

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
sam is busy at this very moment, inventing completely new crimes

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you can still do plenty of crimes
just don't put your crime funds in a custodial account at a centrally controlled exchange* and then sit on it for months waiting for a lawsuit to go through

* this was a smart contract exchange where the central owner had unilateral power to make arbitrary code changes, so like most "decentralized" smart contract poo poo the decentralized bit was purely a marketing buzzword to get dumb coiners to bhuy in

but i was told crypto didn't have chargebacks! decentralized! how could this be? was i lied to? no, that couldn't be; i am extremely smart, so much smarter than everyone else, and i would have immediately seen through it. must've been a fluke, one of those one-in-a-billion events

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I assume righth now lots of people are verifying, or ensuring, that their project is fundamentally incapable of implementing a court order like that

because when you stonewall a court they just give up and admit you won right

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Wait. Are you saying I need to do more than :justpost: to get rich?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zlodo posted:

did anyone do flying dicks in the metaverse yet

there's no point trolling the metaverse because there's no one there

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

are indian americans mad about not having a lovely fast food version of their cuisine?

this is coming from a guy who is about to get to spicy level 2 on the taco bell go app

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Alan Smithee posted:

are indian americans mad about not having a lovely fast food version of their cuisine?

this is coming from a guy who is about to get to spicy level 2 on the taco bell go app

when they brought the Mexican Pizza back I saw a bunch of Indian-American people online that were thrilled because the vegetarian version (refried beans, no beef) was as close to Indian fast-food that they could ever find

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

haveblue posted:

I assume righth now lots of people are verifying, or ensuring, that their project is fundamentally incapable of implementing a court order like that

because when you stonewall a court they just give up and admit you won right

yeah like that guy in the uk who was running the monero money exchange service for entirely legitimate purposes who didn't have to obey those pesky money laundering laws and regulations because it's impossible to do that with monero

wonder how he's doing right now

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

wonder how he's doing right now

time

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
if i had to guess, getting increasingly frustrated at being unable to find a lawyer who understands* that monero just doesn't allow him to do what the government says he should have done

* they all understand

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Maybe the real Monero is the money we laundered along the way!

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
https://edge.app/blog/company-news/edge-security-incident-urgent-notice/

quote:

After further investigation, we determined that the Edge application contained a vulnerability that would leak private keys once a user performs not one, but both of the following actions:
  • Enter one of the following options available from the “Buy” or “Sell” tabs in the bottom navigation bar: Bity, Wyre, Bitrefill, Ionia, Xanpool, LibertyX, Bitaccess, Bits of Gold, Banxa (bank transfer only, not credit card or Apple Pay). This action would log the unencrypted private key of the currently-selected wallet to the device’s disk.
  • Used the “Upload Logs” feature in Edge, which would send logs to Edge servers. Logs would include the private key if the upload was done after the entry into one of the buy/sell options. The upload would need to occur shortly after visiting the buy/sell screen, as new log entries eventually push away old entries.
Based on visibility of keys on the Edge logs server, this vulnerability has compromised approximately 2000 private keys by sending them to Edge infrastructure.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

it's fine.

quote:

a spot check of several dozen private keys show that many still have funds remaining

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
kirk goes up to the old rusty plaque reading MONE RO

he scrapes at the surface for a few seconds revealing the full message

MONEY WRONG

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boxturret posted:

MONEY WRONG

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Bity, Wyre, Bitrefill, Ionia, Xanpool, LibertyX, Bitaccess, Bits of Gold, Banxa

i don't know why but i hate every single one of those names on a deep instinctual level

the people who came up with those can go gently caress themselves. anyone who actually bought any of those can also go gently caress themselves

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

MONEY WRONG

lmao

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
wasn't Liberty X the winner of Pop Idol or Britain's Got Talent or one of those shows

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hammerite posted:

wasn't Liberty X the winner of Pop Idol or Britain's Got Talent or one of those shows

they were the runners up on Popstars, the predecessor to Pop Idol. then they went on to have the longer career than actual winners Hear*Say (it was the 90s) by which I mean 3 years instead of 1

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

njsykora posted:

they were the runners up on Popstars, the predecessor to Pop Idol. then they went on to have the longer career than actual winners Hear*Say (it was the 90s) by which I mean 3 years instead of 1

not a promising start, but to think they would stoop to becoming a cryptocurrency...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

cool av posted:

it's fine.

We’re pleased to report that several of our users have not had their money stolen.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
well not all of their money anyways

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
yet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we can confirm that although the barn door is open, there appear to be several horses still inside

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

haveblue posted:

we can confirm that although the barn door is open, there appear to be several horses still inside

the glue holding the farm together if you will

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Upon further examination, the horses appear to be dead, except for one that is just a vaguely horse-shaped pile of hay.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Ariong posted:

We’re pleased to report that several of our users have not had their money stolen.

well not all of their money anyways

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
that headline again, bitcoin exchange announces to criminals that they didn't get everything and that the door is still open

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
Listen, 2000 wallets sounds like a lot but that’s only 0.01%, so think of how many wallets didn’t get stolen!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I am drinking at the nyc "bitcoin bar"

Orange pill me broooo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
pretty funny that they are asking for payment in worthless fiat usd nocoiner fail money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol drat i used to walk by there all the time when i went to NYU