Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

apparently the new ant man movie has a bad guy who is just a giant head with arms and legs on it. i looked up a picture and it looks so dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

speaking of 2001, does anyone remember what old movie it was where they venture into a black hole? I remembered it the other day but I’m pretty sure it’s not the 1979 one. I can’t find a clip of them going through the black hole and just remember it being super trippy and weird, but I also don’t remember the android slave stuff either

was it altered states? it's not a space movie tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one of the big selling points of marvel movies (and all superhero/scfi/special effects blockbuster films) is that they are supposed to bring the sort of big screen spectacle that you can only see in a proper movie theater (and not just wait for it to show up on streaming)

having the "big screen spectacle" look like absolute rear end when seen on the big screen strikes me as not the wisest move

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

dave wyndorf posted:

Now face the music, son
Some people live to remember when
But you're no storage space
You've lived a dozen lives since then

So what would M.O.D.O.K. do
if his memory got too full?
He'd find a powersource
and then he'd pick what plugs to pull
the 2001/MCU crossover we were waiting for

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the last two movies i saw that i felt absolutely deserved the theater picture and sound, and benefited from it, were top gun 2 and dunc.

marvel movies aren't breathtaking like those two films were. they're just a noisy colorful mess. watch them on your tv at home and it's a lot easier to track what's going on.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

the last two movies i saw that i felt absolutely deserved the theater picture and sound, and benefited from it, were top gun 2 and dunc.

marvel movies aren't breathtaking like those two films were. they're just a noisy colorful mess. watch them on your tv at home and it's a lot easier to track what's going on.

top gun 2 needed it

devotion benefited from it (and was the better fighter pilot movie of the decade by a country click)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hoping they finish rebuilding the imax near me by the time dunc 2 comes out.

Also hope they do a double-header with dunc 1, that'd be sick

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

speaking of 2001, does anyone remember what old movie it was where they venture into a black hole? I remembered it the other day but I’m pretty sure it’s not the 1979 one. I can’t find a clip of them going through the black hole and just remember it being super trippy and weird, but I also don’t remember the android slave stuff either

I think it was called 'THE HOLE THAT COULDN'T SLOW DOWN'

yes Disneys '79 THE BLACK HOLE was indeed hosed up and weird for a kids film

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 27, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

apparently the new ant man movie has a bad guy who is just a giant head with arms and legs on it. i looked up a picture and it looks so dumb

did they get patton oswalt back to play him at least?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think it was called 'THE HOLE THAT COULDN'T SLOW DOWN'

yes Disneys '79 THE BLACK HOLE was indeed hosed up and weird for a kids film

robot: “SCREW YOOOOUUUUUU”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm crossing my fingers that the imax i can walk to is back open before dunc 2 comes out since i'd rather go there than the one i have to drive an hour and pay $15 to park at

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jabor posted:

Hoping they finish rebuilding the imax near me by the time dunc 2 comes out.

Also hope they do a double-header with dunc 1, that'd be sick

they are also rebuilding the good imax screen near me. it's supposed to re-open this year but the government has plans for the site and it may just not.

i saw dunc there and i'm glad i did

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my gf wants to watch dunc but i'm trying to convince her that it's worth holding out until it's shown again in imax. gently caress was that the best imax experience since fury road

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

imax is lame especially when the movie doesn't even fill the screen go dolby cinema

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
imax is great when the film was shot in imax (or at least 65mm with some other process)

otherwise meh. it's just a movie theater

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I hope the good theater near me 1.) still exists and 2.) does a rep run on dune the first before the second one comes out since I watched it at home

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I haven’t been to a movie theatre since the last Star Wars movie came out

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

actually I lied, I forgot we went to see Top Gun 2

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i haven't seen topper gun

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I haven’t been to a movie theatre since the last Star Wars movie came out
ugh, that would be enough to keep me away from movie theatres for four or so years too

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

for a brief moment I thought you were talking about return of the jedi before remembering there were 6 additional movies

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i think the last avengers movie is the last time i went to a movie theater

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:toot:
https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1630256547820437504

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
no wing chun tho :mad:

the full listing

quote:

FEATURING: Yes, Madam! (1985)*, Royal Warriors (1986), Magnificent Warriors (1987), Police Story 3: Supercop (1992), The Heroic Trio (1993), Executioners (1993), The Stunt Woman (1996)*, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the licensing status of hong kong movies seems to just be all over the place, I think during the vhs/dvd/ days they just sold the rights to whomever's check didn't bounce

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FMguru posted:

ugh, that would be enough to keep me away from movie theatres for four or so years too

I enjoyed the new trilogy, but I am also the idiot who read every single Star Wars EU book that exists before Disney bought it and scrapped the whole thing :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

that and TROS came out not long before the pandemic kicked off

the only movie i've seen in theaters since TROS was the ghostbusters afterlife movie and then only because a friend rented out a theater for a private screening

i should do that when DUNC2 comes out, hopefully some theater offers a double-feature of both movies together

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

C O I N C I D E N C E ??? :tinfoil:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the only movie i've seen in theaters since TROS was the ghostbusters afterlife movie and then only because a friend rented out a theater for a private screening

i should do that when DUNC2 comes out, hopefully some theater offers a double-feature of both movies together

Seems like it would be a pretty limited run.

FOR TWO NIGHTS ONLY
GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE/DUNE 2

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

the sound mixing is really great too, so much of the film is either silent or just sound effects

plus obviously douglas rain's voiceover is just :discourse:

excellent score too. just a really, really well made film

I only saw it that one time but I remember synths? right?

I saw it high but Id really love to see it tripping or idk

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

echinopsis posted:

i don't think there was any synth music, although there may have been synth sound effects when dave's going through the star gate?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

the score is classical music. plus the film was released in 1968, it's not like they were really widely used then

you might be thinking of a clockwork orange

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the score is famously just random bits of classical music Kubrick used to get the mood right while editing. there was supposed to be a bespoke score added later but he decided to release the classical. the score was also eventually finished and released separately

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

the score is classical music. plus the film was released in 1968, it's not like they were really widely used then

you might be thinking of a clockwork orange

no just remembering wrong

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

no just remembering wrong

lol maybe

fun fact: the soundtrack to 2001 is clearly visible in the record shop alex visits to pick up chicks in a clockwork orange

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

haveblue posted:

the score is famously just random bits of classical music Kubrick used to get the mood right while editing. there was supposed to be a bespoke score added later but he decided to release the classical. the score was also eventually finished and released separately

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the composer got really pissed off when he realized that kubrick just used the placeholder music

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i wish id seen green knight in the theater

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

i wish id seen green knight in the theater
it was awesome

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

the score is famously just random bits of classical music Kubrick used to get the mood right while editing.

on that note, i saw this mashup of bbc lizards + ennio morricone once, and it's so perfectly timed that i am positive the editor used this exact piece as a placeholder.

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/63feca4908c5a-the-good-the-bad-and-the-iguana.php

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and clockwork orange has excellent early 70s synth music yes.