Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Agreed that rice cooker is the way to go but if you don't have one, and you're making a lot of different dishes on the stove i can see how using the microwave makes a lot of sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016
I've always liked the laidback style of Keith Floyd and Rick Stein's shows. Though I must say, Nigel Slater's shows had a charm of their own.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I also use a rice cooker, but when making a pilaf I do the toasting in the microwave first. Perfect every time and much less effort/attention

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Tired Moritz posted:

genuinely confused why rice cookers arent in every household in 2023

Cooking rice is trivially easy and not everyone wants to own one more piece of junk.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you can use rice cookers for a lot of other things

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
cool beans

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think it would not be super easy to cool your beans in a rice cooker, actually

mystes
May 31, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think it would not be super easy to cool your beans in a rice cooker, actually
Maybe zojirushi will come out with a $5000 heat pump rice cooker that can do cooling as well as cooking

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mystes posted:

Maybe zojirushi will come out with a $5000 heat pump rice cooker that can do cooling as well as cooking

I'm already collecting funding for the Ricero

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Not gonna lie, Zojirushi is one of the most satisfying kitchen gadget purchases I made. It's not hard to cook rice, but it's nice having a reliable way to set it and forget it without worrying of overcooking it.

Lemon-Shaped Rock
Mar 7, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Not gonna lie, Zojirushi is one of the most satisfying kitchen gadget purchases I made. It's not hard to cook rice, but it's nice having a reliable way to set it and forget it without worrying of overcooking it.

I was dead set against my partner getting a rice cooker.

'It's so wasteful to have a single use device'

'We can just cook rice on the stove'

'It will take up so much space'

Cut to now, I love the drat thing so much. It's like a son to me. The pre-set function makes things so easy.

Respect to those who do without one but I'll be happy over here wallowing in my luxury.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
My zoji is at least fifteen years in use at this point and still going strong, except that the music hasn’t worked in the past few years

Don’t think I haven’t been tempted to get a new one just because of that.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I had to replace the soldered-down clock battery in mine but other than that it's been perfect.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Read the room, Babish

https://twitter.com/TheDimmeh/status/1628814725629763585?t=5GQ5fH8R3Qxv7KG1ldNNlA&s=19

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

I saw that sponsor and was surprised there wasn't any backlash in the comments at the time.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

captkirk posted:

I saw that sponsor and was surprised there wasn't any backlash in the comments at the time.

it took a minute for them to come through. the channel is gigantic so the superfans are the first in and if you sort by popular, you'll just see that. sort by new or whatever and its more or less complaints. or at least this was whenever the vid droped, idk if it changed

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Ragusea has a really interesting episode of his podcast / video version of said podcast, posted to YouTube, in which he talks about his thoughts on Alton Brown and, in connection to it, his thoughts about himself and how his career exists because of, and in response to, Alton. I know he's come up here a bunch in the past; thought folks might be interested

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Riptor posted:

Ragusea has a really interesting episode of his podcast / video version of said podcast, posted to YouTube, in which he talks about his thoughts on Alton Brown and, in connection to it, his thoughts about himself and how his career exists because of, and in response to, Alton. I know he's come up here a bunch in the past; thought folks might be interested

I follow Ragusea and I loved the format of Alton Brown's show. I may have watched Good Eats cover to cover twice. :colbert:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

captkirk posted:

I’ve seen people complaining of having their negative comments removed so that’s probably why you haven’t heard much about it.

https://twitter.com/desmostylian/status/1629172186752724994?s=61&t=dd88i1CDGRfL_mdFiZ-aiQ

https://twitter.com/lilsrtgold/status/1630964842835189767?s=61&t=dd88i1CDGRfL_mdFiZ-aiQ

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

drat that's a bad look. Own the decision, enjoy the money you made on the sponsorship, or better yet donate a good portion of it to a better cause, and then do better going forward. Deleting comments is.... pretty shortsighted.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Unless the dude crashes like epic meal time it won't matter. He's made

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The goon that always seethe about him has a valid reason now

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

The goon that always seethe about him has a valid reason now

Pretty sure they got banned lol

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

We've seen what this kinda thing can do to Bon Appetit, no one is made.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

flashy_mcflash posted:

We've seen what this kinda thing can do to Bon Appetit, no one is made.

This is no proudly displaying brown face Halloween picture on my desk situation

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I feel like a lot of YouTubers are one "the paycheck is how much????" away from pivoting to being alt right and Babish wouldn't surprise me if one day he did that, although to be fair I haven't watched his videos in a long time so I might just be slandering a wonderful guy whose only sin is loving money enough to support JK Rowling but no more than that, which to be fair is still kind of bad considering he's already got it made.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Run for your life Sohla

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Babish was also really into NFTs. If I recall there were some posts on his Instagram (maybe Twitter?) about going in on them.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Man, watched one of their recent videos and felt my own mortality. The main guy just doesn't have the energy anymore, and his sidekick who has some pep is just so dorky. Original shorts were fratty as hell, but the camaraderie of it was charming. Here it's just two guys in a very nice kitchen breaking every minute to unenthusiastically sell you something.

Watching these legacy accounts age is kinda fascinating.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Babish and Hot Ones both got corporate as all get out. Meanwhile Chef John reads the same scripts as 10 years ago, just with a better camera and a more exaggerated vocal style.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

While Babish got himself a nice new NYC rowhouse, I do think he's on a very, very different level than Hot Ones. A few years ago the NYC subway's were caked with ads for Hot Ones, and I believe that guy spun it into tv deals and is overall owned by media conglomerates in the area. Babish seems to still be solo-ing it, more or less. Not an underdog broadly speaking, but definitely in comparison.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I saw some frozen Hot Ones brand chicken wings at Walmart the other day. Not sure there's much room left to keep selling out there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I wish I was good enough at something that I could totally sell out doing it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

While Babish got himself a nice new NYC rowhouse, I do think he's on a very, very different level than Hot Ones. A few years ago the NYC subway's were caked with ads for Hot Ones, and I believe that guy spun it into tv deals and is overall owned by media conglomerates in the area. Babish seems to still be solo-ing it, more or less. Not an underdog broadly speaking, but definitely in comparison.

Hot Ones is via Complex Networks which is owned by Buzzfeed. I don't think Babish is making Buzzfeed cash with his youtube.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Did anything ever come of the Babish Universe thing that he seemed to be planning? It felt like his 2nd studio kitchen got wrecked and it just sort of never went anywhere after that.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
Sohla had a show for a bit back at the end of 2020. Then Rick had that show in Mexico. Otherwise the only continuing non-Babish show has been Anime with Alvin. Which seems to be the same basic show as Binging with Babbish, but with Alvin Zhou instead. Honestly, I have enjoyed them more than the Babish episodes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, Alvin I like.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Babish was also really into NFTs. If I recall there were some posts on his Instagram (maybe Twitter?) about going in on them.

I think that was for that dumb Gamestop stock thing a bunch of Redditors were doing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m really annoyed that Babish got the stupid Hogwarts deal because I was really liking all the videos Alvin put out. Alvin should go Super Saiyan and toss Babish out a window and make a TERF-money-free channel where he just makes Kingdom Hearts recipes until the end of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m really annoyed that Babish got the stupid Hogwarts deal because I was really liking all the videos Alvin put out. Alvin should go Super Saiyan and toss Babish out a window and make a TERF-money-free channel where he just makes Kingdom Hearts recipes until the end of time

I'm not sure Alvin can do that yet. Having the space, lighting, camera and sound gear, and off-screen kitchen talent lets him skip a couple years of building up his channel so he can afford the upgrades.