Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Buttermilk goes bad eventually right?
Yes, but you can get powdered buttermilk for baking! I love it because I always need like 1/2 cup for something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes, but you can get powdered buttermilk for baking! I love it because I always need like 1/2 cup for something

How does this compare to the vinegar + milk as a buttermilk substitute? I've never seen powdered buttermilk but I have the same problem - on the rare occasion I want it, I only need a small amount.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Pookah posted:

Please do not drink a lot of port, it will give you the worst hangover in the universe.
Source: a person who drank way too much port that one time.

Don't listen to this wrong opinion. Paired with good cheese; alpine cheeses like gruyere or kaltbach ocr maybe stilton are particulary nice, you will find that whatever hangover you get is very much a worthwhile sacrifice. Chopped up nuts and almonds mixed with maple syrup is a nice addition to the cheese.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

How does this compare to the vinegar + milk as a buttermilk substitute? I've never seen powdered buttermilk but I have the same problem - on the rare occasion I want it, I only need a small amount.

Much better imo.

e; Having said that I do end up making pancakes every time i have fresh buttermilk to kill.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 5, 2023

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm seeing some mixed stuff on this.

I have some turnips that just began to sprout leaves (1-2 inches long).

Is this going to make the turnip unpalatable (for slow cooker chuck roast) or will it still be good?

For reference, I frequently consume onions and garlic with some green sprout going on and don't have an issue with it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Buttermilk goes bad eventually right?

Yes. You can tell because it will be clumpier that normal butter milk. If you ever have resistance while pouring it, pitch it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Soul Dentist posted:

Stilton

not Bleu

Well, no, of course not, Stilton isn’t ever bleu.

It’s blue. It’s a British cheese.

Yes, I will die on this hill, what of it?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Bleu is the French word for blue sorry you had to learn this here.

It was an attempt at shorthand to explain that lemon Stilton doesn't contain a vein of blueu mold culture like other Stilton

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Blue mould culture

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is lemon Stilton? Never heard of it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cleaning out my pantry and found a couple cups of an unidentified white powder in a storage container. Going to assume it's not drugs, but is there a quick test to narrow down just what it is (flour vs starch vs ???)?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'd stir some into water and see how glunky it got, or if it dissolved.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

Cleaning out my pantry and found a couple cups of an unidentified white powder in a storage container. Going to assume it's not drugs, but is there a quick test to narrow down just what it is (flour vs starch vs ???)?

Let’s see a closeup photo

I have caustic alkaline powders in my pantry but not aware of caustic acid powders so maybe mixing some with vinegar to see if it fizzled will determine if it’s safe to taste? Someone jump in if I’m wrong here

Edit: I’m suddenly a little concerned that I can’t find where my pickling lime is

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 5, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

C-Euro posted:

My extremely sus unlabeled zip is ~bakers’ special dry milk~. Whatever yours is, rub it on your gums (or just taste it I guess) and report back. Unless you think it’s lye or something

Shooting Blanks posted:

Works great, doesn’t taste like vinegar, doesn’t require you to have milk on hand. They have it in baking aisles at big suburban grocery stores, or you can buy it online or whatever. It’s in this little can.

After you use it and reseal it once, it’ll become solid. Whiz it in a food processor and put it in a ziplock to keep it from clumping again. Labeling the ziploc is optional depending on the level of thrill you enjoy

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 5, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lol I’m thinking back to the time Dave Arnold had to move his school kitchen and when one of the students asked what an unlabeled powder was he just tasted it and it turned out to be lye

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Whoops it’s in this can. The buttermilk powder, not lye. Hopefully

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nephzinho posted:

Much better imo.

e; Having said that I do end up making pancakes every time i have fresh buttermilk to kill.

I cook for one - going through anything perishable like fresh buttermilk is something I have to almost plan for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Buttermilk freezes pretty well

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
you can drink buttermilk like kefir for breakfast

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm almost certain it isn't anything dangerous, my guess is rice flour that my sister-in-law forgot about while she was living with us for a while-

A teaspoon or so in some tap water, it dissolves with a little stirring but slowly precipitates back out of solution. Doesn't really behave the way I remember corn starch behaving-

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Does it squeak when you smush it while it’s dry? Then it’s probably a starch

If it bubbles in vinegar it’s probably baking soda or baking powder. Or maybe it’s stale and doesn’t bubble

If it doesn’t it’s probably flour. Taste to see what kind. Sweet rice flour goes bad after about 3 years, not sure about other flours.

None of the above are really $$$ so you can probably toss it out if the above tests are too much trouble to bother with. If it’s baking soda or powder it’s probably gone stale anyways

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Look around you, can you form some sort of rudimentary spectroscope?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Does it squeak when you smush it while it’s dry? Then it’s probably a starch

If it bubbles in vinegar it’s probably baking soda or baking powder. Or maybe it’s stale and doesn’t bubble

Negative to both of those, and I'm pretty confident she wouldn't have purchased that much baking soda or powder. Gonna say that it's flour, the right move is probably to just toss it but I've been on a flatbread kick lately and I think I'll use it in the batch I was going to make tomorrow. At least if the dough ends up fugly I'll know it wasn't flour :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Man I wish people left containers of white powder at my house....

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DasNeonLicht posted:

you can drink buttermilk like kefir for breakfast

:cry:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

C-Euro posted:

According to Mister Wizard, if a drop of iodine turns it brown, it has flour/starch in it. :corsair:

If it squeaks under pressure, it's probably corn/rice/potato starch, otherwise it's flour.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 5, 2023

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

What is this? Buttermilk is goooooood.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I won't say I've never drunk buttermilk, and it's not like you can't, but it's not really enjoyable in the same way keffir is and I'm not sure I would particularly recommend drinking it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ror posted:

:five:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Soul Dentist posted:

Bleu is the French word for blue sorry you had to learn this here.

I’m sorry, I didn’t realise you were French.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Please help me discover this specific method of cooking sea bass. I live in a Middle Eastern Gulf country. My aunt used to order from a fish restaurant and it was the most delicious fish I'd ever had. Things have since gone south with the family and I no longer speak to them. I've been searching for months and haven't had much success.

This sea bass used to be absolutely incredible. It was cooked over charcoal (I assume) because it had that smoky charcoal grilled flavour. It was covered in a burnt, black crusty powder that also tasted divine. You could grab a bit of perfectly white and juicy fish, dab it in the burnt crusty powder on the skin and then eat it and it was chef's kiss. Anyone have any ideas? I've gone to about 5 different fish restaurants and none of them do it the way I want.

Pic below doesn't showcase it properly, this is more of a dry cooking method and the skin is blistered. The cooking method I saw, the entire fish was covered in a fine black powder but underneath, the skin was soft and protected and not burnt.

I think I found it, no clue what the name is or method of cooking is but at least I can try showing it to restaurants:

Qubee fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 5, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ror posted:

Lmao

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I have a question about cooker hoods. My question is, I don't understand why they exist. I never use mine. I've turned it on once or twice out of idle curiosity in the several years I've owned this house, to check whether it works (it seems to; at least, it makes a noise). According to a website I just found that belongs to a business that installs cooker hoods, their purpose is to "clean up your kitchen environment by removing airborne grease, smoke and odour whilst you cook". But I never perceive any problem with "airborne grease, smoke and odour" when I cook. Is it unusual not to use the thing?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I thought the primary purpose of cooker hoods was to exhaust gases produced during combustion on a gas burner? It vents carbon monoxide outside instead of it slowly building up in your kitchen. I don't know how important that is though, I used to cook with a gas burner for ever and only recently started using the hood.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hammerite posted:

I have a question about cooker hoods. My question is, I don't understand why they exist. I never use mine. I've turned it on once or twice out of idle curiosity in the several years I've owned this house, to check whether it works (it seems to; at least, it makes a noise). According to a website I just found that belongs to a business that installs cooker hoods, their purpose is to "clean up your kitchen environment by removing airborne grease, smoke and odour whilst you cook". But I never perceive any problem with "airborne grease, smoke and odour" when I cook. Is it unusual not to use the thing?
Cooking (especially sauteeing/frying) produces tons of particulates that are very bad for you to breath. If you have a gas stove you also don't want to breath in the stuff produced by the actual combustion of the gas.

That said, if the hood just runs the air through a filter (which is unfortunately very common in the US) rather then venting it outside it may not be that effective anyway.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 5, 2023

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If it vents into your house then it does very little. If it vents to the outside and you have a gas stove, then it's very important to vent the toxic byproducts of combustion, such as nitrogen dioxide, which has an odor but not strong enough for you to notice dangerous levels. There are some harmful fumes from all kinds of stove if you do high temperature cooking, too, generated when food blackens. Not sure the relative danger of that vs. other risks we gladly take though.

On 2 story houses, I can definitely tell when someone cooks without the vent on, if I'm on the second floor. As a kid my parents sometimes forgot the vent when they made habanero jam, and my room got pepper sprayed :rip:

Doesn't have to be for spicy, either. Anything that smells strongly will migrate upstairs pretty easily, smelling stronger there than it did in the kitchen.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
My cooker is an electric one. I pretty much never cook anything until it blackens, because I don't enjoy the taste of food that's been cooked that way. I do fry food occasionally.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Hammerite posted:

It totally depends on how you cook. If you use the stovetop for like boiling pasta water, making scrambled eggs, stuff like that, then no you aren’t really going to have grease and smoke in the air. If you use the stovetop for deep-frying, or pan-frying pork chops or something, then you will definitely notice mess everywhere, which a good hood can cut down on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Touch the top of your fridge. Is there grease there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Someday I'll have a range hood that vents outside. Sigh