Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

I, Butthole posted:

Future Nostalgia whips

It absolutely does! The first track is the only clunker, as her rapping is...a Choice.

Tracks 6 and 7 in particular are my favorites. :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Mail day!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

caligulamprey posted:

It's a compilation of their last couple of albums minus the vocals and samples. I point this out because jumping on board with Speech Free would be a buck wild starting point, 'cause sampling is Negativland's bread and butter. Something like this (which also shows up on Speech Free minus vocals and samples) paints a much more accurate picture of their message:

I have not exactly followed this band but I've heard pieces of their last two albums and they sound amazing. I mean I know they've been around forever but this right here is exactly what they were built to do. can't imagine how they'd be without the samples though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

JAMOOOL posted:

can't imagine how they'd be without the samples though.
It's still full of samples, but their album Thigmotatic is a great example of them focusing on songwriting instead of the more collage style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixINdHmc0MU

It's one of my favs, but of course it's CD only. :argh:

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
After more than 40 years, one of our local record stores is closing down. It was in a perfect place, there is a dispensary right across the street. Score weed, score tunes. Soon, not anymore without more traveling.

RIP Independent Records Pueblo.

One reason they gave was that people are getting their music online. Record stores being killed by the same thing that's killing magazines and newspapers.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
That's half accurate. Local news is a unique product, that people are consuming it without paying for it is akin to consuming music without paying for it. IF they mean that people are buying their records online (and I assumed it was what they meant), well... sorry? Record stores are nice but I'm not going to be guilted in to paying a brick and mortar tax.

And not to be all goonsay, but... newspapers have experienced a downturn in part because of the internet, broadly speaking, but this plight of local news has been compounded by vulture capitalists buying them up and selling off their assets. If you ever stumble on historical photos being auctioned off on eBay and wonder why, that's the story. Photo archives, amongst other "assets", being sold off.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

rockinricky posted:

After more than 40 years, one of our local record stores is closing down. It was in a perfect place, there is a dispensary right across the street. Score weed, score tunes. Soon, not anymore without more traveling.

RIP Independent Records Pueblo.

One reason they gave was that people are getting their music online. Record stores being killed by the same thing that's killing magazines and newspapers.

I think I went there once or twice with my stoner friends when I was in high school.

pwn
May 27, 2004

THAT SAID, i did just get back from the one record store in my town. After all that poo poo talking. And I am honestly sorry for your store and for you, I wish it wasn't happening.

Because I did enjoy some of the benefits of the brick and mortar experience. One, I'm doing a project and I need a bunch of dollar/free records. That's not gonna happen on discogs. I've been there three times in the past couple weeks and the first batch I ended up keeping some because I couldn't bear to destroy them. The second time, I found out when I got home some were moldy. Tonight I picked out the last of what I needed, that were clean, in decent shape, and that nobody will ever miss. Mainly christmas comps.

But I also got this one because it looked sick

And then in the clearance bin I found a few items.

Brian Bethke, a local artist I saw a few times, never knew he got a record pressed. Here's a photo I shot of him back in July 2009

A PiaPtK release! Only $7. poo poo, son.

And i have no idea, I judged a book by its cover. Hopefully I don't hate it. Altos, another local band, though I don't recall having seen them, I do recognize a couple names.

And he didn't charge me for the dollar records.

So yeah, there is some value to record stores. 1Just don't go there for new poo poo, the margins are low anyway.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

rockinricky posted:

Vinyl album sales are doubling every three years. Surely that has had a positive impact on record stores.

I will always prefer brick and mortar for used vinyl records, which I assume is where most of their profit comes from.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Twenty years ago I paid $8 for a used original pressing REM's "Life's Rich Pageant" at Half Price Books. Only reason why I know the exact price and year is they put the sticker directly on the jacket and I never took it off.

pwn
May 27, 2004

pwn posted:

And i have no idea, I judged a book by its cover. Hopefully I don't hate it. Altos, another local band, though I don't recall having seen them, I do recognize a couple names.

Trip report: it's good

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

1Just don't go there for new poo poo, the margins are low anyway.

I buy most my new records online and used stuff in the store.

wa27 posted:

Vinyl album sales are doubling every three years. Surely that has had a positive impact on record stores.

I will always prefer brick and mortar for used vinyl records, which I assume is where most of their profit comes from.

Yeah it seems that record stores are flourishing right now. I wouldn't think it would be the time to get out, especially if you have old used stock that has been laying around. You can increase the price per record by $10 across the board haha.

Speaking of prices. Got these during the Plaid Room sale. I think I paid about $50 for three records which isn't too bad.

Crown Jewels is a Big Crown compilation. Killer funk and soul stuff. Lady Wray, El Michels Affair, Bacao Rhythm & Steel Band are a few on there.

Postales by Los Sospechos is members of the Budos Band and Menahan Street Band doing some spaghetti western funk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTNSIbUWY4

Monophonics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmdgVoM-Pmo

And the (Goon owned) Needle Juice KGATLW Demos Vol. 3-4 record is pretty.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Love that Monophonics record. I saw them live last year and was absolutely blown away. They only filled like half the venue though; I was mystified (to be fair, they probably should've played a smaller club - I do like the venue they were at, but there are some choice smaller spots in town that would've served their sound well).

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

This will not be everyone's cup of tea.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

This will not be everyone's cup of tea.

Got it... thank you, friend :cheers: Will give it a try later

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Holy crap, I think I just found someone's holy grail records just sitting in the bin of usual stuff at Goodwill.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Boinks posted:

Holy crap, I think I just found someone's holy grail records just sitting in the bin of usual stuff at Goodwill.

Wow

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Boinks posted:

This is why we crate dig good lord what a find

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Stoked to grab one of these as they are limited to only 100 copies. So loving good and criminally underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf_FXOEa6Yo

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah Revolver reprints. I also feel way better about dropping $100 for both of these now that I've seen what they're going for on discogs :aaa:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh drat, I love October Rust. I totally would’ve bought that at a reasonable price.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Hell yeah

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think that's the same Bloody Kisses pressing I have, sounds fantastic.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Boinks posted:

Sweet goddamn, that's a good find!

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Boinks posted:

Wow, that's one hell of a find! I am legit jealous. I've pretty much given up on ever owning those two albums on vinyl.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I was able to knock the price down to $97 and pre-ordered this.

https://www.popmarket.com/echoes-of-the-past-the-anthology/634457113220

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

I was able to knock the price down to $97 and pre-ordered this.

https://www.popmarket.com/echoes-of-the-past-the-anthology/634457113220

Good stuff

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I pre-ordered that '90s Boingo album through Popmarket at the beginning of February, which I just found out today they cancelled the order, never told me and delisted the record entirely. :smith:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a site that will compare upcoming releases from different retailers? Discogs seems to not care until after the releases are sold. (I’m wondering if anyone is doing anything special for that Daft Punk RAM 10th Anniversary rerelease.)

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

IUG posted:

Is there a site that will compare upcoming releases from different retailers? Discogs seems to not care until after the releases are sold. (I’m wondering if anyone is doing anything special for that Daft Punk RAM 10th Anniversary rerelease.)

SuperDeluxeEdition is usually pretty good for this sort of thing. https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/daft-punk-random-access-memories-10th-anniversary-reissue/

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Aw yeah, Animal Collective's remastering and reissuing Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished. Domino's got a deluxe version with an EP of unreleased songs, too:

https://www.dominomusic.com/release...-spirit-reissue

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I might gave to get that just for the EP.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

New vinyl mix is up for March. No thought went into this one. Just pulling some records off the shelf.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-43-ft-pete-moss/listeners/
code:
1.	George Shaw - 6295 SW Fisher
2.	Buffalo Springfield - Mr. Soul
3.	King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Stoned Mullet (Demo)
4.	Shina Williams - Agb'oju L'Ogun
5.	Mike and the Censations - Theres Nothing I can do About it
6.	Soul Ensemble - Melon Jelly
7.	Beck - Tropicalia
8.	The Metal Finger Villian - Pennyroyal
9.	Royal Trux - Purple Audacity #2
10.	Townes Van Zandt - Tecumseh Valley
11.	Supreme Angels - Rest From My Labor
12.	The Mountain Goats - Lions Teeth
13.	Queens of the Stone Age - "You Got A Killer Scene There Man..."
14.	Radiohead - Meeting in the Aisle
15.	LSD March - The Present is Storm

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Always be blasting Royal Trux.

(goddamn it, put Sweet Sixteen out on vinyl already)

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

caligulamprey posted:

Aw yeah, Animal Collective's remastering and reissuing Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished. Domino's got a deluxe version with an EP of unreleased songs, too:

https://www.dominomusic.com/release...-spirit-reissue

gently caress yes

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

New vinyl mix is up for March. No thought went into this one. Just pulling some records off the shelf.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-43-ft-pete-moss/listeners/
code:
1.	George Shaw - 6295 SW Fisher
2.	Buffalo Springfield - Mr. Soul
3.	King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Stoned Mullet (Demo)
4.	Shina Williams - Agb'oju L'Ogun
5.	Mike and the Censations - Theres Nothing I can do About it
6.	Soul Ensemble - Melon Jelly
7.	Beck - Tropicalia
8.	The Metal Finger Villian - Pennyroyal
9.	Royal Trux - Purple Audacity #2
10.	Townes Van Zandt - Tecumseh Valley
11.	Supreme Angels - Rest From My Labor
12.	The Mountain Goats - Lions Teeth
13.	Queens of the Stone Age - "You Got A Killer Scene There Man..."
14.	Radiohead - Meeting in the Aisle
15.	LSD March - The Present is Storm

You're an inspiration always :)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
about time Spirit They've Gone got a repress, hoping they tone down some of the ear-destroying frequencies but you know they won't :)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/rigbygender/status/1635345310775115776

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

She's gotta get herself fans like BTS has who will buy multiple copies of an album just to keep it in the charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.billboard.com/pro/metallica-bought-vinyl-record-pressing-plant/

quote:

For a decade, Furnace has pressed records for the band, which has a reputation for releasing high-quality vinyl. At a time of supply-chain issues and manufacturing delays, the plant helped the group keep most of its albums available, plus a growing number of ambitious box sets. (Its most recent “black album” box set includes a double LP of the album, three live LPs, 14 CDs and 6 DVDs.) Last year, the group pressed more than 902,500 pieces of vinyl for more than 620,000 packages, according to management, not all of which are made at Furnace. The band sells roughly half of these in the U.S.