Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kingo Ligma posted:

No professional narrative or doco has ever been made in resolve

I’m gonna bet that this isn’t even remotely true, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
"I've never edited anything professionally but I know more than the actual professional editor who's cut hundreds of episodes of television, based on my reckons"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kingo Ligma posted:

"I've never edited anything professionally but I know more than the actual professional editor who's cut hundreds of episodes of television, based on my reckons"

I don't doubt that very little long form takes place on Resolve, but this kind of response is just a shortcut to people not giving a poo poo about your opinion.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

That's fair. It's very frustrating to actually do something and have arguments with an online concensus built by people who don't, same as everyone else who has a technical job and spends ten minutes on the internet.

Here's something a bit more factual instead. This is Blackmagic's brag page where they list a bunch of shows that use Blackmagic products and can't name a single one edited in resolve (the post production section exclusively lists colourists):

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20211117-01

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I mean it's definitely not a big production house tool. I think they're just getting their "larger team" footing with 18s cloud collaboration features. But also Blackmagic is selling hardware primarily so I don't think they're super aimed at taking over AVID for editing. Just doing what they can to make it an attractive solution for boutiques that use their hardware. Both places I've worked at (20-40 people) have moved to it for cost and ease of onboarding for newer folks.

My MC experience is admittedly low, but what bad habits does Resolve teach that would put someone in a weird spot if they were to go to a house that used MC? (and I'm asking seriously so I can avoid doing them)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I mean it's definitely not a big production house tool. I think they're just getting their "larger team" footing with 18s cloud collaboration features. But also Blackmagic is selling hardware primarily so I don't think they're super aimed at taking over AVID for editing. Just doing what they can to make it an attractive solution for boutiques that use their hardware. Both places I've worked at (20-40 people) have moved to it for cost and ease of onboarding for newer folks.

My MC experience is admittedly low, but what bad habits does Resolve teach that would put someone in a weird spot if they were to go to a house that used MC? (and I'm asking seriously so I can avoid doing them)

The two biggest sources of trouble are:
Understanding how three point editing works as a concept - people not understanding the difference between insert and overwrite, the different effect each has on the rest of the timeline as a whole, matchframing, reverse matchframing, delivering a flat timeline, the simplicity and ease with which you can lay video and audio in to the timeline once you know your three points and how easy it is to tell the software where they are.

And:

Basic audio editing. Resolve is so weak on audio people that come across don't even realise you can fade/keyframe/add Atmos to fill gaps etc let alone understand how important it is. A pop from a hard cut on a dialogue track will inevitably have a dozen network notes after it about story, vision, music that we're all actually ok - the network exec just didn't consciously register the pop as being the problem. They just know something was wrong so will flail about blaming everything else. This inevitably wastes a whole lot of time for a bunch of people.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Kingo Ligma posted:

:jerkbag:

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

powderific posted:

You should just email one of the professors and find out what you'll be using instead of guessing.

I’ll do this. Thanks :)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kingo Ligma posted:

The two biggest sources of trouble are:
Understanding how three point editing works as a concept - people not understanding the difference between insert and overwrite, the different effect each has on the rest of the timeline as a whole, matchframing, reverse matchframing, delivering a flat timeline, the simplicity and ease with which you can lay video and audio in to the timeline once you know your three points and how easy it is to tell the software where they are.

And:

Basic audio editing. Resolve is so weak on audio people that come across don't even realise you can fade/keyframe/add Atmos to fill gaps etc let alone understand how important it is. A pop from a hard cut on a dialogue track will inevitably have a dozen network notes after it about story, vision, music that we're all actually ok - the network exec just didn't consciously register the pop as being the problem. They just know something was wrong so will flail about blaming everything else. This inevitably wastes a whole lot of time for a bunch of people.

But you can do all of this in Resolve? Or am I just missing something? Are you using Fairlight in Resolve? It's pretty robust.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It’s funny because all they had to do was *not* make such an easily falsifiable claim (for the record: The Killing of Two Lovers was edited, graded, and entirely finished in resolve according to the director, per about five minutes of googling). I don’t edit much anymore since I got into live production, but I still know several people who do, some of which are at reasonably sized houses, and while it’s still not high penetration outside of the grading module resolve definitely is, in fact, seeing a notable rise in use, especially among smaller operators who are looking for an all in one solution. Is it as good as AMC on a nitty gritty level? No, but it’s got much less of a learning curve and also is nominally free, which means there’s a larger number of people familiar with it that you can pool knowledge from. Acting like it’s trash software that will make you unemployable is some of the dumbest poo poo anyone has ever said in this thread, which has its fair share of dumb poo poo being said over the years.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

BonoMan posted:

But you can do all of this in Resolve? Or am I just missing something? Are you using Fairlight in Resolve? It's pretty robust.

The kids I'm talking about aren't using Fairlight, just the edit pane in the free version. For three point editing which is available in literally every editor, I'm guessing it's some YouTube tutorial poo poo that's going on.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It’s funny because all they had to do was *not* make such an easily falsifiable claim (for the record: The Killing of Two Lovers was edited, graded, and entirely finished in resolve according to the director, per about five minutes of googling). I don’t edit much anymore since I got into live production, but I still know several people who do, some of which are at reasonably sized houses, and while it’s still not high penetration outside of the grading module resolve definitely is, in fact, seeing a notable rise in use, especially among smaller operators who are looking for an all in one solution. Is it as good as AMC on a nitty gritty level? No, but it’s got much less of a learning curve and also is nominally free, which means there’s a larger number of people familiar with it that you can pool knowledge from. Acting like it’s trash software that will make you unemployable is some of the dumbest poo poo anyone has ever said in this thread, which has its fair share of dumb poo poo being said over the years.

Are you an editor?

Lmao that movie grossed $100k and was self cut by the director. You may as well say Neil Breen uses resolve. Wait, are you actually Robert McMahon?

Kingo Ligma fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 6, 2023

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Are you an editor?

I haven’t edited professionally in about four years since largely transitioning to live event production, but that’s not really relevant to you talking out of your rear end about how NO NARRATIVE OR DOCO PROJECT HAS BEEN DONE IN RESOLVE, EVER, which is patently untrue with even the slightest amount of checking. And before you try to turn this into some loser-rear end credits-off: I literally do not give a poo poo about how much work you’ve done, you could’ve turned out a project every day for a hundred years and it wouldn’t give you universal knowledge of an industry the size of post production.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lmao that movie grossed $100k and was self cut by the director. You may as well say Neil Breen uses resolve. Wait, are you actually Robert McMahon?

Lol nice goalpost shifting, idiot

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 6, 2023

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I haven’t edited professionally in about four years since largely transitioning to live event production, but that’s not really relevant to you talking out of your rear end about how NO NARRATIVE OR DOCO PROJECT HAS BEEN DONE IN RESOLVE, EVER, which is patently untrue with even the slightest amount of checking. And before you try to turn this into some loser-rear end credits-off: I literally do not give a poo poo about how much work you’ve done, you could’ve turned out a project every day for a hundred years and it wouldn’t give you universal knowledge of an industry the size of post production.

Lol nice goalpost shifting, idiot

I said I'd red text myself and I absolutely will, now that you've posted your wildly unsuccessful passion project in the thread 🙂

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kingo Ligma posted:

The kids I'm talking about aren't using Fairlight, just the edit pane in the free version. For three point editing which is available in literally every editor, I'm guessing it's some YouTube tutorial poo poo that's going on.

YouTube is definitely both a blessing and a curse. I try to steer people to even "cheap" paid training like Ripple (which is about $300 for the full Resolve course and is extremely bland but at least teaches proper techniques). I know $300 isn't exactly pocket change for everyone, but paying that to build a correct foundation pays off in spades.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

This is a really weird attempt at an own, not sure what you think your strategy here is

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Kingo Ligma posted:

I said I'd red text myself and I absolutely will, now that you've posted your wildly unsuccessful passion project in the thread 🙂

lmao, like clockwork. nobody gives a gently caress that you edited some garbage for tv, and throwing a fit when someone points out that you don't know what you're talking about is pathetic. try learning instead of declaring your own expertise and maybe someday you'll have actual insights into editing beyond basic-rear end first week poo poo like "3 Point Editing is Good, Actually"

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Full time video editor here with almost a decade of experience. Unless there's been a radical shift, it's still typically Avid MC for long form and broadcast, Premiere for web and short form. Literally had one post house ever use FCPX and none using Resolve outside of colour grading. I think FCP7 was still in use at a few more news-y places years back but can't confirm first hand.

I actually like Resolve but not as an NLE at all. It can do some absolute god-tier noise reduction in the paid version and can really get you out of a jam if you have things like strobing or more intensive colour work that Avid or Premiere can't fix, but I found it extremely unintuitive to use for editing and unnecessarily clunky.

Having said that, I know an extremely senior editor who's been using it for quick turnaround stuff so I guess it depends if you're end-to-ending a piece of content entirely for a client who trusts you. The simple fact that I can't resize and move my program, source, timeline, bins, effects etc. with even a fraction of the ease and customisation that I can in Premiere immediately drives me bananas before I've even started.

I don't know why the thread has gotten so heated but the truth is that 99.9% of the time, you will be working either in Avid or Premiere as a professional paid editor.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

frytechnician posted:

I don't know why the thread has gotten so heated but the truth is that 99.9% of the time, you will be working either in Avid or Premiere as a professional paid editor.

it got heated because instead of answering like you did--clear, concise, and correct--that dude rolled in with "Dave LaRonde on Creative Cow" vibes. everything you said tracks with what i've experienced doing post sound, and while i haven't had to figure out instructions for exporting audio from resolve/fairlight yet, i'm sure i will eventually because a lot of smaller places i've worked with seem to be more and more interested in it.

i think when someone's starting out, it's less important to pick the exact right program than it is to start developing the sense of editing/workflow and what all the terminology means. three-point editing is system agnostic, so it's important in a way keyboard shortcuts aren't.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You could always be like me and go with Hitfilm Pro 7 because it was the easiest to pirate (and then go legit later when your partner buys you a perpetual license as a gift) :grin:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I really like Resolve

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You could always be like me and go with Hitfilm Pro 7 because it was the easiest to pirate (and then go legit later when your partner buys you a perpetual license as a gift) :grin:

I worked for a guy for a while who was inseparably attached to Edius, pretty much the only guy I’ve ever seen in the wild using it. He wasn’t even working in a grassvalley ecosystem, it was just what he used.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

oh hot drat the editing thread is poppin tod- :goofy:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I've used MC (granted only for a little bit) and Premiere and Resolve heavily. Resolve (paid) just for its all-in-one ecosystem is unbeatable. Having Fusion and Fairlight and grading all right there in such a swappable tab package is fantastic.

Premiere is fine. Had a huge resurgence once Apple took an initial misstep with FCPX but it's not really anything special to me. It's packaged with the CC suite of course so that definitely helps. But they are taking huge steps backwards with their recent UI and pipeline tweaks.

Avid is fine, and if you go to a big house it'll likely be the standard there. But it's not like.. the Nuke of the editing world. You can learn how to edit like a pro just fine in Resolve/Premiere and other than re-learning the UX stuff you're skills would be directly transferrable to another system.

I'm eager to see how Resolve's cloud collaboration evolves. We're building a system around it right now and should have it stood up in the next month or two.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
This is really interesting to read. My university has an editing suite with Creative Cloud, so I might start with Premiere just for the ease, but it’s nice to hear that skills transfer relatively easily. Once I can check out a laptop (over the summer, if I take summer classes) I’ll check out Resolve and Avid.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Premiere can't do anything Resolve doesn't do, except maybe crash more

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

frytechnician posted:

Full time video editor here with almost a decade of experience. Unless there's been a radical shift, it's still typically Avid MC for long form and broadcast, Premiere for web and short form. Literally had one post house ever use FCPX and none using Resolve outside of colour grading. I think FCP7 was still in use at a few more news-y places years back but can't confirm first hand.

I actually like Resolve but not as an NLE at all. It can do some absolute god-tier noise reduction in the paid version and can really get you out of a jam if you have things like strobing or more intensive colour work that Avid or Premiere can't fix, but I found it extremely unintuitive to use for editing and unnecessarily clunky.

Having said that, I know an extremely senior editor who's been using it for quick turnaround stuff so I guess it depends if you're end-to-ending a piece of content entirely for a client who trusts you. The simple fact that I can't resize and move my program, source, timeline, bins, effects etc. with even a fraction of the ease and customisation that I can in Premiere immediately drives me bananas before I've even started.

As a real paid professional editor according to the standards of the weird tv editor getting super pissed off in this thread I'm here to say this is some certified real poo poo that you said. I'm at a small shop that does mainly web but currently doc & live streaming work and we're 100% Premiere.

Resolve is good for anyone starting out because it gives them the ability to move between NLE & color and I just think they should learn the basics of both. Then I'd recommend you learn Premiere as well because it's applicable in lots of entry-level editing positions that are out there nowadays or Avid if you're goal is to AE and then work in the movies.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I started out with Hitfilm Express and am slowly moving towards Davinci Resolve. I'm not a professional editor by any means and never will be. Just a guy with a fledgling youtube channel using whatever is free to edit my videos. I never took any film classes in school nor had any other formal education in filmmaking. That being said, are there any good youtube channels that you can recommend that are on par with "film making for dummies" that I could use to make my videos a little better? I have no aspirations nor desire to become the next Kubrick or Ridley Scott. Just looking for some basic foundational material.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

I started out with Hitfilm Express and am slowly moving towards Davinci Resolve. I'm not a professional editor by any means and never will be. Just a guy with a fledgling youtube channel using whatever is free to edit my videos. I never took any film classes in school nor had any other formal education in filmmaking. That being said, are there any good youtube channels that you can recommend that are on par with "film making for dummies" that I could use to make my videos a little better? I have no aspirations nor desire to become the next Kubrick or Ridley Scott. Just looking for some basic foundational material.

I've always found that there actually isn't a great single channel for learning (that I've seen). A huge problem in this space is that 99% of the people looking stuff up are people trying to be youtubers, so as a result the videos tend to appeal to those types of people and they're obnoxious. When I hit a wall where I can't figure out how to do something I'll generally just google around and watch a bunch of videos discussing similar stuff until I find one that answers my question. I would treat these videos like a reference and not something where you should watch everything by a single channel.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Any tutorial video that has a guy wearing a baseball cap backwards who begins their video with "What's up guys?" is to be avoided like the plague.

Half-joking aside, just edit until you hit a snag and then look up how to overcome it. Sounds kind of obvious but just get your footage down in the timeline, swing the axe judiciously til you're happy with a content cut and then think about how you want to use b-roll, stock, animation etc. to cover the cuts.

You do not need to re-invent the wheel and there are plenty of fancy tricks to use to keep a nice or interesting aesthetic but your goal really is to understand pace. And that pretty much only comes with practice imo.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

This is a fantastic channel for Resolve, and I've learnt a lot! Easy to follow and no messing around: https://www.youtube.com/@MrAlexTech

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can assure you, as an editor with 10+ years experience, that you will not be hobbled by your first NLE choice. It's good that the class is on Premiere, as your first few years of work will likely be filled with Premiere jobs, or work-from-home jobs that rely on you to provide the software. Resolve is cool, and it may get larger adoption. I know senior editors who use it for smaller one-offs, and even one who contemplated shifting a late night talk show onto it. They ended up switching from FCP7 to Premiere, but the point is not to discount any of the NLEs. They're all just tools to help you perform the same task.

And don't be scared of Avid, it's a little less user-friendly, but it's powerful and very fast. Premiere for smaller jobs, Avid for bigger ones.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 9, 2023

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

premiere is the buggiest piece of poo poo ive ever used

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

d0grent posted:

premiere is the buggiest piece of poo poo ive ever used

Good to know, cause avid has been pretty poo poo lately too. Had to reinstall 4 times in the week leading up to lock. On different machines even. Not like I'd ever switch to prem, but for all Adobe's problems at least their licensing and activation software actually works as well.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've had no problems with Adobe Creative Cloud and I like how it easily installs and updates programs, but Premiere has been crash central for years whereas Resolve runs way better for me

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

it's been a few years since i did the video side of things, but i can confirm that Audition and Pro Tools are both buggy as hell, each in their own charming way, and i fully believe premiere and media composer share this delightful relationship as well

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
New features and versions should always be treated with suspicion and contempt

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Something Else posted:

New features and versions should always be treated with suspicion and contempt

100000000%

I keep the segment tools disabled in Avid, they're too new for me :bahgawd:

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

So. I know there are professionally employed editors in here and to you I'm preaching to choir, but to the rest of you; the ones who are maybe editing on the side, getting the occasional professional gig, perhaps a bit on the younger and inexperienced end of the spectrum:

If you think there is a problem, speak up. Don't be afraid to say "this actually sounds like camera audio, are you sure there isn't a location recording that didn't get synced?"

-signed, someone who now has 4 days to mix and deliver a half hour doc that somewhere along the way got royally hosed and is entirely camera audio and going to national broadcast. 1 raised hand four months ago would have avoided what is about to become a very large problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

:stonk:

that is the stuff of nightmares. i've had to sync things after editing before, but never on that sort of turnaround, jfc