Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

anyway i collect loving rocks and my rocks have way more personality than funko pops, and are usually much cheaper

that's my collecting story thanks

I'm unironically thinking about expanding my rock collection so I'm glad I'm not the only one on SA that does. :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
equities of bank corps across the board seem to be eating poo poo, not just svb

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

the phrasing here is driving me unreasonably nuts. no one would say it that way. Banks periodically lose, they don’t lose periodically!!!

the fuckin article would say it’s driving unreasonably me nuts. the analysis doesn’t seem too far off but man that would make me take a closer look

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 10, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol petey trying to kick off a bank run

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-09/founders-fund-advises-companies-to-withdraw-money-from-svb posted:

Founders Fund, the venture capital fund co-founded by Peter Thiel, has advised companies to pull money from Silicon Valley Bank amid concerns about its financial stability, according to people familiar with the situation.

The firm told portfolio companies that there was no downside to removing their money from the bank, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the information isn’t public.

Shares of SVB Financial Group, the bank’s parent, plunged on Thursday after announcing a stock offering, selling substantially all of the available-for-sale securities in its portfolio and updating its forecast for the year to include a sharper decline in net interest income.

SVB Chief Executive Officer Greg Becker held a conference call on Thursday advising Silicon Valley Bank clients to “stay calm” amid concern about the bank’s financial position, according to a person familiar with the matter.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you are in a run, you are forced to participate in the run, by the fact of there being a run. thats the steamroller

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Enderzero posted:

the phrasing here is driving me unreasonably nuts. no one would say it that way. Banks periodically lose, they don’t lose periodically!!!

it works if you imagine it in taleb’s accent/speaking style

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
god, what a douchebag that guy is

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

pmchem posted:

well it don’t look like a spoken quote and makes me wonder if he’s one of those schmucks who don’t have an editor

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

bob dobbs is dead posted:

he seems like a leveled up gladwell. same core problems but a bit smarter about it

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

pmchem posted:

put commas around it then! it’s an easy fix, that just looks lazy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
he suborned his editor to not lookin at his poo poo at some point iirc

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

he suborned his editor to not lookin at his poo poo at some point iirc

I’m not surprised. no editor is number one in my list of might have good/big ideas, is too much of a dumbshit to realize when you’re wrong and/or arrogant. worthless in the end

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"why does the bank that lends money to startups and VCs keep losing money? Elon please don't let them turn off the magic money fountain!"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they dont lend money to startups and vcs, they take deposits from em. they buy treasuries and mortgage backed securities (so they lend to the feds and rando homeowners, still indirectly)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 10, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
treasury prices for the periods they bought em for went down cuz the new treasuries for the new periods pay way more cuz the fed raised rates

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

tbf I didn't actually read the tweet I just saw musk had replied and thought "what is a dumb thing he would agree with?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haha financialization goes brr

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what, the unnatural financialization of a literal actual bank?

this is a pure play bank run that fuckin randos from the 1870s would have recognized. just enjoy the lols

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
altho they dont have retail branches iirc so you dont get nice weird rear end theater of giant fuckin piles of physical money and everyone being forced to dress as formally as possible

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

i think of him more as insufferable

some of his technical writing and earlier works are good though, and he certainly had game as a trader decades ago. every now and then he still puts out quality tweets inbetween sequences of self-aggrandizing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
im a few blocks from their sf hq right now so lets go see if theres lols there

prolly not, its also fuckin pissin rain here

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009

im a few blocks from their sf hq right now so lets go see if theres lols there

prolly not, its also fuckin pissin rain here

do tell if elom’s standing outside trying to sell office plants to random passers-by

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bupkis, im afraid. run is deffo gonna happen over the internet only

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

go steal one of those nifty green glass banker's lamps while everyone is preoccupied with the drama

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

weird how the “facts don’t care about your feelings” posse gets sad when a bank does math bad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

otoh elon musk wants silicon valley bank to survive because it's good for startups or something

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1633968208133644291

so it should be destroyed, imo

so bail it out yourself, rich boy

aren't they short "only" a couple billion?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1634024439573811200

lol the bazingas are pathetic that's clearly fake

e: oh oops wrong thread. whatever it works here too

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 10, 2023

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/spencernoon/status/1634004337226665984

a bank run by the smartest people in the world that funds the companies literally inventing the future* runs into trouble, and all you people can do is point and jeer? for shame, yospos. for shame.

* i.e., fart apps

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hey hey hey i walked in the rain to point and jeer in person

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

our country's brightest sickos itt

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FMguru posted:

i.e., fart apps

we're well past fart apps and now onto blockchain AI ML B2C FaaS subscription models

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 10, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

theflyingexecutive posted:

we're well past fart apps and now onto blockchain B2C FaaS subscription models

https://www.patreon.com/fart

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

we'll do all the banking for a sector famous for its bullshit, surely nothing can go wrong

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the problem is that theres a buncha peeps who coordinate between startups and are huge fuckin idiots (the vcs). so the rumor that starts the run prolly started there

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm so against collecting stuff i've even started deleting files. i used to think "oh hell i might want to watch/read/review this later" and later never comes. i am putting more emphasis on making sure the irreplaceable poo poo (family photos, important documents, etc) are well protected.

hell yeah

collecting stuff just to own it is some weird poo poo imo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i would bet that they are not doing it.

also, do you really think it's a good idea to go loving around directly in post tables? in the database comprised at least 50% of undocumented bitfields?

-rewrite tweet url client-side to some new thing that archives the tweet
- every tweet that gets posted gets archived by that thing on demand
- run a crawler to hit every forum page or whatever and the on demand thing converts the tweets
- no need to gently caress with the stored posts at all

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FMguru posted:

a bank run by the smartest people in the world that funds the companies literally inventing the future* runs into trouble, and all you people can do is point and jeer? for shame, yospos. for shame.

* i.e., fart apps

ok I've read Matt Levine's newsletter now and it's just a straight up squeeze caused by their own model and interest rate changes so for a company "at the bleeding edge" they've sure failed in an old school way

e: and with zero retail deposits they've got no cushion against it *and* all their customers are massively correlated so if one starts pulling cash because they flushed the rest of theirs down the toilet, they probably all will

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

absolute lomarf at being dependent on a bank as a company and not choosing one of several systemically important banks to ensure you always have the implicit backing of the US government.

idiots.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

* i.e., fart apps

insert Joker meme about being tired of pretending its not funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

refleks posted:

absolute lomarf at being dependent on a bank as a company and not choosing one of several systemically important banks to ensure you always have the implicit backing of the US government.

idiots.

unironically correct