Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
more like poopledao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

*dismantling dead goose like an epileptic soothsayer* Okay, so, while the goose may lay many golden eggs, you only get golden foie gras from it once, and now we know that. Not bailing us out would basically be punishing innovation!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Some people are really bad with money, huh.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

Clair de LUNA - Claude deBUSD
:poolgirl:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Paladinus posted:

Some people are really bad with money, huh.

I feel like we're gonna find out the morons running SVB have been worse with money than anyone expected

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://twitter.com/ben__rickert/status/1634731804652609536

First Republic prolly going down next week.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol thats a lot of teslas

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

I'm hoping Signature won't be far behind.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
see this is what happens when you let sam talk with the delivery men

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol if this becomes a mortgage crisis where banks can't unload low rate mortgages for liquidity

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
bank runs in this era of complex, highly advanced financial disasters seem almost quaint

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

bank runs in this era of complex, highly advanced financial disasters seem almost quaint

nah, it's just proof that the tech industry has not actually evolved beyond base economics, mathematics, and human nature like it often claims to

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The account that posted that video sure is... something else.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Escape From Noise posted:

The account that posted that video sure is... something else.

some coast to coast am poo poo in there

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

I feel like we're gonna find out the morons running SVB have been worse with money than anyone expected

Excuse me, I think the people who put the guy who was CFO of Lehmans Brothers until shortly before it collapsed, in charge of their own bank, know a thing or two about responsible banking practices.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

:popeye:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Clockwerk posted:

Excuse me, I think the people who put the guy who was CFO of Lehmans Brothers until shortly before it collapsed, in charge of their own bank, know a thing or two about responsible banking practices.

he's got a lot of experience with efforts to avoid catastrophic bank failures, okay

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Clockwerk posted:

If we learn from our mistakes then that man has learned a great deal though

also he's had plenty of practice being responsible for a bank

e: drat imagine working in the office with this guy, showing up on collapse day and everyone's just completely loving shattered except him and he's in there texting his old pals with the FDIC, who are on their way to seize the bank, planning goddamn brunch and golf later lmao

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 12, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/10/business/sam-bankman-fried-bail-technology-restrictions/index.html

quote:

Judge concerned Sam Bankman-Fried is too ‘technologically savvy,’ could find a way around tech restrictions

By Lauren del Valle, CNN
Updated 2:23 PM EST, Fri March 10, 2023

United States District Judge Lewis Kaplan indicated at a hearing Friday he might modify FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried’s bail conditions, but only after attorneys further tighten the restrictions on Bankman-Fried’s access to technology.

Kaplan said he’s still not convinced that the founder of bankrupt crypto trading platform FTX wouldn’t be able to circumvent the more-restrictive bail conditions that were filed last week.

“If he’s determined and inventive and I suspect he’s very inventive and technologically savvy he could find a way around it and conceivably not get caught,” Kaplan said in court Friday.

Bankman-Fried, who did not attend Friday’s hearing, is currently under house arrest at his parents’ home in Palo Alto, Calif. He is released on a $250 million bond while awaiting trial on fraud and conspiracy charges. He pleaded not guilty.

On Friday, Kaplan expressed concerns over how to handle the possibility of Bankman-Fried using other people’s devices if they’re brought into his California residence. He also said Bankman-Fried could simply use a flip phone to call someone to express what he would otherwise send in an email or text.

Sam Bankman-Fried, co-founder of FTX Cryptocurrency Derivatives Exchange, arrives at court in New York, US, on Thursday, Feb. 16, 2023. US prosecutors said their discovery that Bankman-Fried used a virtual private network to access the internet on two recent occasions raises concerns that the FTX co-founder could be hiding his online activities.

Prosecutors want Sam Bankman-Fried to use a flip phone as part of a more restrictive bail package

“This defendant has given some pretty strong reasons to be suspicious,” Kaplan said.

Judge Kaplan asked the defense to submit an updated bail modification order that would tighten the restrictions to address his concerns.

Kaplan also said he would sign an order modifying the conditions to allow Bankman-Fried access to an FTX database to prepare for trial, but that order also needed further restrictions.

Defense attorney Christian Everdell indicated the defense would submit new filings in the coming days.

Prosecutors said they’re moving along through the discovery process but there’s still plenty more to be turned over to the defense team including data from a warrant for approximately 30 Google accounts for Bankman-Fried and other FTX and Alameda employees.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao SBF is going to end up in a lead-lined faraday oubliette at the bottom of a salt mine warded by robotic turnkeys.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lmao SBF is going to end up in a lead-lined faraday oubliette at the bottom of a salt mine warded by robotic turnkeys.

So what you are saying is that he will confess to his crimes by tapping Morse code signals on his cell walls.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pedro Pascal type guy in the post apocalypse wastelands after the great banking crash finally tipped western society over into annihilation , explaining to the kid that it all began when people started using slurp juice on their apes

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Bankmagneto

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

i havent heard of First Republic, who are they? are they another SVB or are they in crypto or what

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

nails and fingers worn to stubs, SBF continues filling the empty spaces of his cement domain with scratchings that detail past, present, and future crimes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

kw0134 posted:

svb was definitely under pressure to begin with but the collapse of silverbank, a wholly unrelated entity, made a lot of people very nervous and created a self-fulfilling prophecy when a bunch of vc's told their clients that they should start pulling their money out of svb. they did and of course it became a stampede and the bank run -- an actual honest-to-god bank run in tyool 2023. it was entirely possible that if withdrawals didn't spike svb would have issued more stock, raised some capital and covered any redemptions in the typical course of business.

yeah, i am for sure not going to care enough to look at the numbers, but by the sound of things svb wasn't that far off very normal bank practices, putting depositor funds into treasuries to an extent that models suggest will have you comfortably covered.

just took on too much risk and got faced with the combo of an interest rate spike and a pretty much engineered bank run (drop by the cjs thread to enjoy cremnob praising thiel for his savvy business move knocking svb over). probably not too unreasonable to expect depositors to still be made mostly whole (without strain on taxpayers), but with general creditors and shareholders entirely wiped out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
not sure why you'd commit to 30-year bonds in a time of historically low interest rates, seems like overexposing yourself to interest rate risk to me. especially if you're currently lobbying the fed to raise interest rates - you'd think you'd be positioning yourself to benefit when your lobbying succeeds!

but i guess that kind of thinking is why i'm not the one in charge of the bank

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://twitter.com/benedictevans/status/1634748145279139845

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

more like just slightly ahead of the heat death of the universe

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
From the Doomsday Econ thread:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what's hfsp

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

haveblue posted:

what's hfsp

have fun staying poor

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

in fairness typing "hfsp" is quicker than "i am a spiteful rear end in a top hat and a crypto not-a-cultist"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/SMTuffy/status/1634972779899682816

Not that I think anyone here hasn't caught on to this.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Hammerite posted:

i havent heard of First Republic, who are they? are they another SVB or are they in crypto or what

regional bank roughly the size of SVB, same basic balance sheet

probably less exposure than SVB though due to them being a retail bank, rather than primarily a commercial bank which is what screwed SVB

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Hammerite posted:

they have an oven in each branch that bakes fresh cookies all day long.

I often stop in for a free cookie.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Buff Hardback posted:

regional bank roughly the size of SVB, same basic balance sheet

probably less exposure than SVB though due to them being a retail bank, rather than primarily a commercial bank which is what screwed SVB

their exposure is less bonds and more mortgages but it works similar because nobody's gonna want to buy a tranche of mortgages paying 3% when the current rate is double that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bank runs in LA lmao

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Bank runs in LA lmao
not how people usually attempt large withdrawals in north hollywood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

not sure why you'd commit to 30-year bonds in a time of historically low interest rates,

You're a greedy imbecile who has gotten away with it for a decade