Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, a big part of the secret sauce that makes MGSV one of the best stealth games of all time is that there's like half a dozen fail states between being completely hidden and being fully spotted and the game seamlessly transitions between those states. It also doesnt only go in one direction so the player has plenty of opportunities to correct the situation and return back to stealth after they have been spotted. MGSV is one of the very few games ive played where I dont want to abuse quick save/load to get through stealth sections. Its genius and also really difficult for game designers to pull it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

While I'm still loving the game (mgs5), that sniper battle with Quiet was incredibly underwhelming.

Nothing will top the sniper battle with The End.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

While I'm still loving the game (mgs5), that sniper battle with Quiet was incredibly underwhelming.

It's okay, just wait until you unlock the extreme version of the Quiet sniper fight. Then it'll go from underwhelming to complete bullshit.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Bosses really aren't the game's strong suit, there's basically one actually good boss fight in the whole thing. It's a shame because the mechanics are so polished you'd think they'd be ripe for getting stretched out by bosses. Probably the truncated development

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The one boss fight feels weirdly out of place too, like it feels like the game skipped a bunch of stuff that was supposed to happen immediately before it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm trying to find all of the music available in mgs5, and while it's no trouble learning what licensed songs are in it, can someone tell me if the original Metal Gear (MSX or NES) theme song is on there? I seem to remember hearing that it was, but if so, I'm sure it's called something else in the list of tapes.

Also, did I read correctly that SNAKE EATER is in this?! :swoon:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Snake Eater's definitely in there, but I don't remember the old Metal Gear theme being one. Maybe I'm forgetting. You can add it in yourself if you're on PC, though!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Old metal gear theme isn't in there. They're also never putting the MGS or MGS2 theme back into the games ever again.

Heavens Divide is available in the game but it's a lame instrumental track rather than Dinna Burke's vocals.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Theme of Tara was in Ground Zeroes, along with the best remix of the ZOE2 theme.

Of course, if you're playing on PC, you can just add the songs yourself.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Did you look online and call in a supply drop on her head?

ETA: Research the water pistol and when it seems the most absurd to use it, consider using it

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I revisited Metal Gear Solid, I haven't played it in probably close to 20 years. Made it to where Meryl and Snake get past the wolf-dogs (which I'd forgotten about).

I'm floored by how well this game holds up. Yes, the controls are a little finicky compared to later games but it's so well crafted. And the cinematic presentation throughout is remarkably ahead of its time.

I also read Kojima's The Creative Gene. It's quite good - I never knew he was such a huge book nerd.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 12, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I feel like if you can be a nerd about something Kojima has been a nerd about that thing at least once.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really hope MGS is remade/re-released to work well nowadays, with all of the vr mission trimmings and everything. Not necessarily the Twin Snakes version (I have nothing against it, but I know it rubs fans of the original the wrong way), but SOMETHING.

2 had Substance, 3 had Subsistence, they both along with PW got re-released in HD, and MGS3 was on the 3DS ffs. The first one needs more love.

Maybe someday, we'll have the Ultimate MGS collection, with all of the main games, including PW, and all of the bonuses that were released along with them (like the msx versions of MG 1 and 2, all of the vr missions with Mystery, skateboarding).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t trust modern Konami to remake anything. I think the Silent Hill 2 remake will be a disaster with awful Bloober Team working on it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I really hope MGS is remade/re-released to work well nowadays, with all of the vr mission trimmings and everything. Not necessarily the Twin Snakes version (I have nothing against it, but I know it rubs fans of the original the wrong way), but SOMETHING.

2 had Substance, 3 had Subsistence, they both along with PW got re-released in HD, and MGS3 was on the 3DS ffs. The first one needs more love.

Maybe someday, we'll have the Ultimate MGS collection, with all of the main games, including PW, and all of the bonuses that were released along with them (like the msx versions of MG 1 and 2, all of the vr missions with Mystery, skateboarding).

MGS had Integral but we just got the VR Missions as a separate release here.

I don't think Konami cares to rerelease it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I do kinda wonder how an MGS remake might work as it's a really concise game (a big plus point IMO). I don't see how modern players would go for a 10 hour-ish experience at full price these days.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Isn’t there something fucky about the voice recordings that stops them from remastering the game without having to re-record all of it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fortunately, Kiefer Sutherland and Troy Baker are still up for work!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kevyn posted:

Isn’t there something fucky about the voice recordings that stops them from remastering the game without having to re-record all of it?

They sound kind of bad since they weren't recorded in a studio, and anything from TTS is stuck in a terrible rights situation that can't be easily untangled so they can't just use those recordings.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I do kinda wonder how an MGS remake might work as it's a really concise game (a big plus point IMO). I don't see how modern players would go for a 10 hour-ish experience at full price these days.

In a way, this is why I don't want it remade. Fuckin' "Miller" will warn you to use the bathroom because a long "demo" might come up. MGS1's cutscenes were "long" for its time maybe but compare to the where Kojima went as he got his hands on more and more technology? He'd turn the intro into a 5 hours.

Plus if you've ever read any account of the localization, you know Kojima got a bug up his rear end about all the changes. There is no way a MGS1 remake would have such a liberal localization. TTS certainly didn't.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Part of the fun with MGS1 (if you care about game history) is seeing the clash between the cutscene direction and the assets / technology. Most PS1 games still tried to keep you from getting too close to the models, so it's fun to see them stick the camera right in Snake or Otacon's face as if there's an expression there and letting the player fill it in with their imagination. I think one of the things Twin Snakes revealed is that if you make MGS1 more realistic it looks more plain and less impressive. They tried to spice it up with flashier action choreography but it didn't fit with the story's mood. I would love to see a remaster that opens it up to modern resolutions and adds some documentary extras, but I'm guessing that isn't worth the money by itself.

Now MGS3 on the other hand is a game that could benefit from a full modern remake. The jungle levels in the existing game are clearly struggling against what the system can do.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Those recordings are absolutely one of the distinctive qualities of MGS1. There's a damp reverb throughout (including codec calls) that really sells the "frozen concrete structure" atmosphere. For all I know, it was partly to cover up having to be lower-quality recordings to fit everything onto two CDs, but nothing after used the sound mix that way.

PS1-2 was peak (non-chiptune) era for video game audio, come fight me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Randallteal posted:

Now MGS3 on the other hand is a game that could benefit from a full modern remake. The jungle levels in the existing game are clearly struggling against what the system can do.

Yeah, I'd be 1000% on board for that. It's a shame things went south with MGSV, the jungle-y parts of Africa really put me in the mood for an updated version of 3 in that engine.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Not talking smack on sound work in the rest of the series, it's absolutely some of my favorite ever (I grin just thinking about the extremely cinematic foley in MGS2), just MGS1 is unique even among that body of work, droning synths and all.

A controversial statement in this of all threads, but I think I love Metal Gear, guys!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MGS1 will always be the most perfect Metal Gear game to me. MGS2 is more interesting but it has a lot of problems 1 does not. Meanwhile, 3 doesn't interest me near as much as 1. And so MGS1 is the perfect combination of entertaining and insightful.

FOXHOUND is also the best villain team. Nothing else even came close.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

NikkolasKing posted:

FOXHOUND is also the best villain team. Nothing else even came close.

sorry, but no one in MGS foxhound compares to fire trooper and coward duck

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like the Cobra Unit more than Foxhound. Maybe my favorite set of bosses of any game.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I won't stand for this Black Color and Ultra Box erasure!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Cobra Unit were unabashed Silver Age comic supervillains, though, and I loved that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After The War posted:

Cobra Unit were unabashed Silver Age comic supervillains, though, and I loved that.

Yeah, I feel the same.

Really, I just love the sniper battle with The End. We were literally hunting each other.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ok, that's what I'm doing. Now, a couple more questions, since I'm at work now and can't check directly:

A) is there a downside, aside from the -300 each time and having to resupply, to literally Fulton-ing everyone? Does Fulton-ing multiple weapon installations (AA guns, mortars) do anything for me other than take them away from the enemy?

2) when I'm upgrading or researching weapons, is there a way that I could accidentally request research on something twice and waste resources? Or is everything I see on the list worth it, generally?

What I mean is, I see a bunch of stuff I already have (or at least I think I already have) and I don't necessarily want to research or develop something that I don't need to. Does the game allow me to accidentally double up on stuff like that, or is it only showing me stuff that I can get once or can still upgrade?

D) am I paying the soldiers that I'm not using? Should I dismiss the D and E ranks, or can they be trained up?

IV) Where's DD? I rescued him, he licked my face, Ocelot said he could train him, and then I never saw him again. I realize he'll eventually be ready to partner up, but until then, can I actually visit him on mother base?

These questions all come from the fact that I just haven't been at mother base that much, nor have I really dove into the upgrade/research screens; I just keep going back out into the field and causing mayhem. My favourite thing to do currently is setting C4 on the road and waiting for the cargo truck to drive by :ocelot::black101:

A. No not at the start, just fulton everyone you can. Once they start to stack up in the waiting room you can send lovely ones off on combat deployments (you'll find out if you haven't) to die and make a small amount of GMP for you (You claim to value the lives of your men, and yet you choose to participate in the War Economy, curious! I am very virtuous!). Eventually you won't want to waste space (waiting room has a limit too) on e-tier garbage but at the beginning :orb:

The exception is if you don't have the money. Don't let GMP go negative. Also, one thing they don't tell you is that calling resupply costs the same amount as a helicopter insertion/extraction, and all the materials as well, and this is even if you haven't used that gun. So upgrading the helicopter (and enabling the upgrades in the idroid :ocelot:) actually makes it significantly more expensive to operate, you really shouldn't use any helicopter upgrades except in certain story missions. You can call for a uniform change (request the level 1 fulton dropped as an individual item) and you only pay (helicopter + that one item).

2. No. And no. Everything will be a new thing, but not all the weapons are particularly good. Some have parts that can be useful once you find the gunsmith (but this removes a lot of the challenge). Higher-level guns are always better than the lower-level versions, but the "parts" are almost identical, a "short FAL" frontend is basically the same thing as a "short AR-15" frontend of the same tier (but they are verry slightly different) so to save money you can just research base guns and put the parts from other short/long variants onto the base guns. So like, don't research five different variants of short guns, research one short gun variant and swap the parts onto the base guns. And suppressors are always useful (but again, remove the challenge).

What weapons are good? I've discussed it a lot in previous posts, but a lot of the fun is experimenting and finding out! Several weapons have differing effects on various kinds of enemies that aren't immediately obvious from the stats.

D. No and no. Just let them sit at the base or send them on combat deployments to turn them into sparkling cashmoney diamonds and resources! But you're not paying them.

IV. It will just happen eventually as you progress the plot, I don't remember if it's a forced event ("boss come back to base...") or if you have to manually go back to trigger the event but it'll just happen after another couple missions. Just come back to base occasionally, and take a shower you loving goon.

Yeah, so I did the first Unlucky Dog side OP last night, trying to sneak into that huge square compound. I just. kept. failing. Eventually, I decided 'gently caress stealth', got into the prisoner's room in the corner, and just aimed at the door. Waves and waves of 2-3 soldiers each kept coming, until CP said that they were just flat out of guys. After what seemed like a half an hour, I sniped the last two guys from up top of the wall, and that was enough to capture it. And I got an A rating?!

:shrug:

yes the game really pushes stealth but rank is a matter of score and time is the factor that matters most to score. Running fast and loud or simply going lethal and silent and leaving a trail of bodies as you blitz the mission are both legitimate strategies. If you can't sneak quickly then full stealth can cost so much time that it lowers your score. The no kills/no alerts/no traces bonuses help a lot (no trace is 100k by itself and S-rank needs 120k or 125k iirc) but you can't dawdle forever either. If you're so paralyzed you're not moving then stealth is hurting you.

And "sneak quickly" doesn't mean zero visibility either, a guard noticing you and starting to walk over is fine if you continue to duckwalk your way out of danger! Once you understand how it behaves, the AI is pretty loving stupid actually, it just feels oppressive at the start when the first attention indicator feels like it's all over.

it's a little bit of a miss that the game pushes stealth and non-lethality so much, because a lot of the best weapons are either lethal or not silenceable or both, and it's a completely viable approach to go loud or lethal (or both). And tbh I don't really like the "I heard one gunshot = red alert!" mechanic, but I don't know a better one that would make sense. And again, them finding bodies or hearing a gunshot and going on alert is like, not that big a deal as long as they don't see you. It's only full combat alert (after slow-time, with the blaring siren music/etc) that counts against you for bonuses, they'll just be on edge and will jump right into slow-time if they spot you, so it's easy for alert to become combat alert but it's not quite the same thing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 13, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shear Modulus posted:

The one boss fight feels weirdly out of place too, like it feels like the game skipped a bunch of stuff that was supposed to happen immediately before it

that's because there was supposed to be a third chapter before konami fired kojima and pulled the plug on it and told the dev team "hack in MTX for FOBs and ship it". Like it's very obvious there was a whole bunch of poo poo that was supposed to happen there, and they just took like the 3 main plot beats, built the missions, and called it good with no attempt to pace it or make it flow.

that's what I meant about the "prepare for disappointment, everyone who plays it is like 'wait that's it?' because it goes from climax to done in like 2 missions".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One thing that bugs me is how, in pretty much any MGS game, you can severely gently caress with them (kill soldiers and then they're discovered), and if they can't find you in time, it's virtually like business as usual, ho-hum, let's get back to work, guys.

At the same time, I realize that permanent alert would suuuuuuuck, so I get it.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

One thing that bugs me is how, in pretty much any MGS game, you can severely gently caress with them (kill soldiers and then they're discovered), and if they can't find you in time, it's virtually like business as usual, ho-hum, let's get back to work, guys.

At the same time, I realize that permanent alert would suuuuuuuck, so I get it.

This always feels silly in all games with this kind of stealth system but yeah it’s a necessary conceit to make them actually fun to play. If “weathering the alert” wasn’t a thing it would encourage players to savescumm or restart a lot and would be frustrating

Doesn’t MGSV actually agave a thing where a map (or an area of the map) stays on low alert for like 6-12 hours after they stop looking for you, and they deploy some extra soldiers or whatever? That’s a nice compromise, especially since you can just wait it out with the cigar if you don’t wanna deal with that…

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

super fart shooter posted:

Doesn’t MGSV actually agave a thing where a map (or an area of the map) stays on low alert for like 6-12 hours after they stop looking for you, and they deploy some extra soldiers or whatever? That’s a nice compromise, especially since you can just wait it out with the cigar if you don’t wanna deal with that…

I've heard the 12 hour thing before, although I wasn't able to confirm it with a quick search. Looks like the official guide didn't mention an exact window. Regardless, yeah, the staged system they use with multiple levels of suspicion and alert feels like the best way to go for something that's actually enjoyable in practice.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
what are you seeing in the guide about it in general? I fairly distinctly remember open-world roaming and bases never losing their red status on the map even if you roam or phantom cigar and don't trigger any alerts in the meantime. they'll stage down from full combat alert and just go to regular high-alert state, but they have the magical ability to know when you extract (cipher spies I guess!) and they won't ever leave red-on-the-map status/high alert even if you sit in a bush vaping for 2 weeks.

I guess, as ocelot points out: it's the smell, mister anderson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlSROO7EPEY

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 13, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

what are you seeing in the guide about it in general? I fairly distinctly remember open-world roaming and bases never losing their red status on the map even if you roam or phantom cigar and don't trigger any alerts in the meantime. they'll stage down from full combat alert and just go to regular high-alert state, but they have the magical ability to know when you extract (cipher spies I guess!) and they won't ever leave red-on-the-map status/high alert even if you sit in a bush vaping for 2 weeks.

I was seeing discussion based around this example from the guide, which is kind of cagey about durations:

I couldn't find my own copy of the book to confirm what all's in it. Unfortunately, it's been long enough since I played the game that I can't remember the specifics in practice either.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I finally got DD :3:

He is the best boy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You have now won the game. Make sure to get his loyalty to max so you can unlock his stun knife or his Fulton attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The worst thing about DD is that upgrading his abilities doesn't let you use his best outfit.

Just let him have his little doggie helmet :negative: