Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Lets randomly run through a desert, leaping from rimrock to rimrock, while we discuss DST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Unironically angry that that loving bill stalled. Jesus gently caress how did it get through the Senate but the House killed it?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The senate has no problem passing bills it knows the house will kill.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

"ChatGPT, Write the script of a Sinfest cartoon in which Tatsuya Ishida renounces his TERF ways and apologizes for being hateful"

ChatGPT posted:

Panel 1: Tatsuya Ishida is sitting at his desk, typing away on his computer with a scowl on his face.

Tatsuya Ishida: "These trans activists are getting on my nerves. They're trying to erase the identities of women by including men in our spaces."

Panel 2: A young trans woman, with tears in her eyes, stands outside of Tatsuya Ishida's window, holding a sign that reads "Trans Women Are Women".

Panel 3: Tatsuya Ishida looks up from his computer and sees the trans woman outside his window.

Tatsuya Ishida: "What is she doing here?"

Panel 4: Tatsuya Ishida opens his window and confronts the trans woman.

Tatsuya Ishida: "What do you want?"

Trans Woman: "I just want you to see me as a human being."

Panel 5: Tatsuya Ishida looks at the trans woman with empathy for the first time.

Tatsuya Ishida: "I'm sorry. I didn't realize how much my words were hurting you and other trans women."

Panel 6: Tatsuya Ishida extends his hand out the window to the trans woman.

Tatsuya Ishida: "I want to make things right. Can we start by talking and learning from each other?"

Trans Woman: "I'd like that."

Panel 7: Tatsuya Ishida and the trans woman sit at a coffee shop, having a civil conversation.

Tatsuya Ishida: "I see now that my views were harmful and rooted in fear and ignorance. I want to renounce my TERF ways and be an ally to the trans community."

Trans Woman: "That means a lot to me. Thank you for listening and being willing to change."

Panel 8: Tatsuya Ishida leaves the coffee shop with a newfound sense of purpose.

Tatsuya Ishida (thinking to himself): "I may have been wrong in the past, but now I have the opportunity to be a force for good and stand up for what's right."

Submit it for an Eisner, it's a shoe-in.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Jeff Stahler

Randall Enos - Tempore Temper Tantrum

Dave Whamond

Drew Sheneman

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Also, even if Lester was right about it being surgeries, and even if Lester was right about the increase being dramatic, it still ignores that due to a lack of understanding and lack of awareness gender reassignment was being under-diagnosed prior to then, and the dramatic change may have much more to do with an exposure of normal levels than some “well all the kids my ages are getting their dicks cut off, I want to join the cool kids too”

An issue that has come up repeatedly when discussing LGBTQIA issues and mental health issues, btw.
That’s the point; much like how people wanted to panic over an increase in autism diagnoses, that was less more people being on the spectrum and more our knowledge of autism and being able to better identify people. It’s like panicking over a tenfold increase in gay marriages since 2015.

It’s why they need to manipulate statistics to give the impression that half of school kids are trans now like going on HRT is akin to beanie babies or pokémon or uh a fad that wasn’t 30 years ago. Roblox? Gotta scare people to pass laws against the icky scary ones.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is one of those "no one in the comic seems unhappy and nothing bad is happening, but trust me this is awful" political comics.

A person got a flat tire, another person stopped to help them, the person who got the flat tire is grateful to receive assistance and the person changing the tire is completely in control of the situation. And this is bad because.....?

Woman not under a man's control.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AGC

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is one of those "no one in the comic seems unhappy and nothing bad is happening, but trust me this is awful" political comics.

A person got a flat tire, another person stopped to help them, the person who got the flat tire is grateful to receive assistance and the person changing the tire is completely in control of the situation. And this is bad because.....?

On top of the transphobia, it's mourning the death of traditional gender roles.
The AFAB woman is supposed to be the helpless damsel in distress with a busted tire that her feeble woman brain can't comprehend trying to fix while a chivalrous manly man arrives to rescue her from her feminine incompetence.
Instead, you have a man in a dress who has no idea how to change a tire (lol, millennials, amirite?) relying on a woman to do the work for him.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This is old now but gently caress me.

No loving way, in the year of our lord 2023 in the light of every single thing that has happened over the last 10 years this motherfucker is acting like people protesting racial violence in america are not only not being brutalised but also do not loving even exist. gently caress you Horsey.

Kellies Nomination: Worst Gaslighting.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Weren't there stories about police departments going so hard on tear gassing people that they actually ran out?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
How many people lost eyes when police shot them in the face with rubber coated bullets? A dozen?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MechaCrash posted:

Weren't there stories about police departments going so hard on tear gassing people that they actually ran out?

Yes

Adenoid Dan posted:

How many people lost eyes when police shot them in the face with rubber coated bullets? A dozen?

Yes

And the old dude with the cracked skull, videos of journalists with credentials showing being intentionally shot at/detained, firing tear gas cannisters into people's faces and so on, and so forth.
In summary just an orgy of violence and lawlessness by police against people who dared to ask "please stop killing us quite so much". And this old rear end prick trying to pretend like it doesn't exist.

EDIT: Horsey should go back to drawing bomb-rear end titties, becuase that was actually less offensive than this garbage.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 13, 2023

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Do you think after Trump dies people like Clay Bennett are going to try to pull a Pope Formosus and demand his corpse be put in prison?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

That’s the point; much like how people wanted to panic over an increase in autism diagnoses, that was less more people being on the spectrum and more our knowledge of autism and being able to better identify people. It’s like panicking over a tenfold increase in gay marriages since 2015.

It’s why they need to manipulate statistics to give the impression that half of school kids are trans now like going on HRT is akin to beanie babies or pokémon or uh a fad that wasn’t 30 years ago. Roblox? Gotta scare people to pass laws against the icky scary ones.

The best uncontroversial example is left handedness:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Uncontroversial?"

Looks like a sinister conspiracy to me.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Quite the opposite, it was in fact an anti-sinister conspiracy

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Kojak, Jr.

Ted Rall posted:

Between facial recognition software, drones, police databases, cellphone data, license plate, scanners, and remote control vehicles, it has never been easier, or more boring, to be a police detective.

First Dog on the Moon: The International Institute of the Bleeding Obvious has its verdict on the four day work week

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/WardSutton/status/1635241488618766336?t=Rx19yFCL3bYgtTHkY8ISWQ&s=19

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

This is obliviously supposed to be trans slenderman.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Kojak, Jr.
]

An honest to god kojak reference in 2023. Way to stay hip with the kids, Rall

Edit: wait, this cartoon is a lot worse than I even thought it was

Like, Kojak jr is perfectly competent at his job and does everything well and correctly

The complaint isn’t “giving the police access to advanced technologies will increase the dangers when they abuse their authority like they always do”

It’s literally “giving the police access to advanced technologies makes their job too easy,, and therefore they are more boring than the police of previous times”

How just absolutely stupid do you have to be to claim to be an anti authority left winger but your complaint about police surveillance is that it means cops don’t get enough exercise

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 13, 2023

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
How often does Rall pull "the real problem is X isn't as cool as I imagine they used to be" line?

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

It's even dumber when you realize that stuff is mostly fictional. "triangulating the cellphone" yeah ok. Rall had no ideas and was watching tv. At least it wasn't broadcast by the Russian Government this time.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The embed image cuts off the last 2 panels, but the ones cut off make no sense to me lol

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Neito posted:

Check for goatees.

His "evil" twin would be cleanshaven

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kikas posted:

The embed image cuts off the last 2 panels, but the ones cut off make no sense to me lol

Panel 5 is probably just "we love gun violence" and 6 is a weird reference to that time DeSantis kidnapped a bunch of asylum seekers and shipped them to Martha's Vineyard.

E: v yeah checks out

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 13, 2023

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

PANEL 5: Desantis has been pushing for permitless carry in Florida (while banning guns at his own pyblic appearances).

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

After The War posted:

How often does Rall pull "the real problem is X isn't as cool as I imagine they used to be" line?

It's a common through line, but usually it isn't quite this blatant. This is only the second time him I can think of him just saying it outright.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1635290653101031424?t=2VsygyYVG1Aec8xuMsj_YQ&s=19

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ACAB and all, but what's depicted in the cartoon is like 1,000% better than what cops do now.

Instead of mag-dumping into a stolen UPS van and killing some unlucky drivers who happened to be on the road at the same time, or blowing the guys tires sending him careening into oncoming traffic, or drone striking an aid worker and his entire family for driving a car that looks like something a terrorist had, the police positively identify him, shut down his vehicle remotely, and bring him in with the minimum necessary force?

And this is bad because???

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

ACAB and all, but what's depicted in the cartoon is like 1,000% better than what cops do now.

Instead of mag-dumping into a stolen UPS van and killing some unlucky drivers who happened to be on the road at the same time, or blowing the guys tires sending him careening into oncoming traffic, or drone striking an aid worker and his entire family for driving a car that looks like something a terrorist had, the police positively identify him, shut down his vehicle remotely, and bring him in with the minimum necessary force?

And this is bad because???

Because sure, they're doing it to stop an actual criminal this time, but what happens when they just decide to go all Big Brother on YOUR Tesla and tap your text messages?

At least that's the best I can come up with, just some bad slippery slope argument.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Crime used to be cool in the past, when there were serial killers everywhere and the only technology the cops needed was a rubber hose. Everything is woke and gay now. I am not a reactionary fascist. Putin is cool."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
But not the cool outsider kind of gay! Just the boring "wanting legal protections" kind.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

the_steve posted:

Because sure, they're doing it to stop an actual criminal this time, but what happens when they just decide to go all Big Brother on YOUR Tesla and tap your text messages?

At least that's the best I can come up with, just some bad slippery slope argument.

Even that it's like, okay still better than just getting shot for taking my phone out of my pocket.

Like he's not just portraying cops taking advantage of creeping Big Tech intrusions to privacy while everything else stays the same, he drew the cops doing that instead of all the much worse stuff they do now

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

MechaCrash posted:

Yes, they were also using long expired teargas, and expired teargas has lots of nasty stuff in it that causes hormonal issues and is a known abortifacient. Unfortunately it was all used up with none to be found on 1/6, shame about that. Also aiming "nonlethal" munitions at peoples heads after gassing and kettling them.

But also lmao at the notion that any cartoonist here outside of like, Collins or Kelly would've been supporting of the civil rights movement. We've all seen what the politoons were like at the time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Neito posted:

"ChatGPT, Write the script of a Sinfest cartoon in which Tatsuya Ishida renounces his TERF ways and apologizes for being hateful"

Submit it for an Eisner, it's a shoe-in.
A window into a marginally better world.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the feeding frenzy engulfing the BBC – As well as the row over Gary Lineker’s social media use, the corporation is mired in controversies surrounding David Attenborough and Fiona Bruce"

Telegraph:

Oscars 2023: Everything Everywhere dominates as Brendan Fraser wins Best Actor

Times:

Evening Standard:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Even that it's like, okay still better than just getting shot for taking my phone out of my pocket.

Like he's not just portraying cops taking advantage of creeping Big Tech intrusions to privacy while everything else stays the same, he drew the cops doing that instead of all the much worse stuff they do now

Yeah, exactly, it's 100% "cops today are lazy and have it easy back in my day cops were TV heros" which is so weird to hear from someone who continues to insist he is The Leftist Icon In Modern America

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Speaking of TV, is there like an age cutoff where people believe TV is real life. Or do you just lose the ability to distinguish between reality and fantasy and that's why old people think stuff like Kojak and leave it to beaver are how things really used to be?

Or maybe it's just a stupid-person thing and not linked to age or generations, now that I just remembered the young reactionaries who can't tell the difference between 1950s vacuum cleaner advertisements of domestic bliss and the actual 1950s.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a 'not wanting to think about things' thing. Pop TV provides nice bite size scenarios that you don't have to think about, often with moral certainty or a gods-eye view where you know that the bad guy is guilty because you saw him on screen doing all the bad guy stuff. News sources (especially ragebait bullshit ones) pretend that they have that kind of certainty about a messy reality, and nostalgia sells it about a 'nice' past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korthal
May 26, 2011

This gave me a real scare, I thought Attenborough had done something horrible but no it's the people running the programming at BBC that did. Thank god. :unsmith: