Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

just get this guy to cast spells and the game will be ez

xzar rules, but xan is the yospos mascot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la6tOXPghCA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

giogadi posted:

maybe I shoulda started with BG1. I started bg2 last week and just felt kinda overwhelmed playing a mage, where I had to choose like 87 spells when creating my char and I have to deal with my char’s spells and imoen’s. or maybe I’m just not in the headspace for a game as fiddly as this.

I wish I still had time for fiddly games

yeah 1 is the way to go. its objectively worse than 2 in most ways but the ee backported bg2’s 3rd edition rules so theres a ton of qol updates to make it suck less. its still arbitrary af 2e rules like “clerics cant use bladed weapons” but starting at level 7 is kind of complicated especially because level 5+ is when you start being able to play wizard chess

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

contingency is an all time spell, right next to mordenkainen's magical watchdog

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

how is bg3 turning out, is that gonna be fun

(also is it running 5e or what)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

quiggy posted:

how is bg3 turning out, is that gonna be fun

(also is it running 5e or what)

bg3 is Very Good. EA is very strong, running on 5e rules with the kind of fuckery DOS taught like grease+fire. the entire first chapter is up and its really really well done. im actually not gonna touch it again until release but its about 700x more approachable than bg1/2 and i think its going to sit as another “best in class” rpg.

playing 1 and 2 is wild in that i forgot there was a world of rpgs before kotor/mass effect and at the time i played original bg i think that was one of the “largest” rpgs. they added 3 new companions in ee that clearly have modern era voicing and interactivity but otherwise i think that the writing, although clumsy at times, still mostly holds up.

im beyond hype for bg3 tho it hits me in a way all the console rpgs havent. i got to divinity pretty late but i was very impressed

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

caveat: its still based on dungeons and dragons, an inherently flawed system. but i feel way less worse learning this minutiae versus the dozen or so jrpgs i have now wasted brainspace on. i dont really like mid or high level d&d irl because of how annoyingly technical it gets. i think the sweet spot has always been level 1-7. having to set up spell sequencers is cool but also extremely fuckin frustrating and i feel like its bad encounter design to expect everybody to open with bless/dispel magic/breach/shield on both sides every time

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

when i dm the part i look forward to the most is when people in my party finally level up to fireball. and its that giddy smile the first time it pops off that just doesnt happen in high level

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

yeah d&d combat has never been good (4e notwithstanding) but i also know what im getting into, so im largely ok with that. im looking forward to bg3 and happy to hear it's coming along well, even if im not a big fan of real time with pause infinity engine combat

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

(this isn't a value judgement, more a "this was not quig's experience of computer rpgs growing up" and thus i have no nostalgia for it)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

im generally gobsmacked at just how popular d&d has become in 2023. like i was excited and happy to grow up on 2e in the 90s as a kid but me the grownup loving hates everything about that user hostile system.

i think a lot of about accessibility these days and how far we’ve come in 20 years on many fronts in nerd hobbies. its generally really fuckin cool that anybody and everybody has access to nerdy poo poo and as poo poo like d&d has slid from niche to mainstream its been really nice seeing diversity creep in now that all the knowledge isnt so heavily gated.

i full rear end could not run 2e modules irl the way i currently do in that everybody is some level of high/drunk and its more about using 5e for collaborative storytelling than minmax crunchy poo poo. like people are mad about 5e being simplistic but i can get a group of 60 year olds going as quick as a group of 10 year olds now and that poo poo just wouldnt happen in a 2e/3e game

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
3e was pretty rancid but I always thought 2e was pretty lightweight on the player side?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

5e is easily the most accessible version of d&d ever made, and it hit right as streaming became a thing which led to stuff like critical role, the adventure zone, etc. plus during the pandemic people wanted ways to connect with other people and it's not too tough to play on roll20 or what have you

that being said d&d remains a c-tier ttrpg and i hate the way it dominates the space. i have a lot of affection for the game as the game that introduced me to ttrpgs, and i adore the many decades of lore, but also i'd much rather play almost any other ttrpg. i sometimes have d&d friends get upset when i say i don't want to play d&d, which i liken to wanting to play rocket league when all your friends want to play call of duty: yeah they're very generally the same kind of game but they play nothing alike and you get totally different experiences and quite frankly i just don't find d&d that interesting any more

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jabor posted:

3e was pretty rancid but I always thought 2e was pretty lightweight on the player side?

lol, and additionally: lmao

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like my defining dm feature is when my players are in the fire dungeon there is a bottle of fireball on the table and anybody who takes fire damage has to take a sip. the featured spirit of the poison dungeon was absinthe, cold dungeon was mcgillicuddys, etc.

people dont have to drink but like i said my games are less about the system and more about making a cool story about liberating a kobold work camp and unionizing it, or going to kill a dragon only to walk out in the employ of said dragon on a totally different quest. idk im not here to count how many arrows the archer is carrying. dudes occupation is arching so like i assume he has supplies the same way i assume a rogue will always have rope and a disguise kit

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also 5e has less (BUT STILL NOT NO SOMEHOW) wizard racism which is cool

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Casual Encountess posted:

also 5e has less (BUT STILL NOT NO SOMEHOW) wizard racism which is cool

reminder that gary gygax openly quoted an american general who oversaw a massacre of native americans as justification for paladins killing things to uphold lawful good morality

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

all the d&d creators becoming fundy conservatives is pretty funny

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Tbf nobody with a working pair of braincells actually runs the dumb paladin alignment restrictions as written because especially back in the day they were absurdly brittle and simplistic.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

5e has largely downplayed alignment altogether, which is absolutely to the game's benefit

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

quiggy posted:

5e has largely downplayed alignment altogether, which is absolutely to the game's benefit

thats something that really annoys me about the old BG style of game. if you want to be super evil you get to a point where the game is just broken and there is no way forward because no one will talk to you

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I've always wanted to run a game of new World of Darkness Demon because it's exactly my kind of weird futuristic occultism and the themes of fighting predestination are very my poo poo but man my group would just be a bad fit for that kind of story.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

flipside: i also got back into 40k last year and the new player onboarding experience even after 15 years off is complete loving garbage. a friend gave me their d&d beyond login and im starting a campaign this month with 6 people and we’re off to the fuckin races off that one login

meanwhile, i was fully enthusiastic about jumping back into 40k and it loving sucked trying to take all this info and repackage it into something i could run with my friends who are not going to do 10 hours of reading to get into it. every step of this process sucked rear end to find out on my own and while i am now super well equipped to jump start any of my friends into this, i dont think the onboarding ramp of 40k is anywhere near as well designed as d&d’s in 2023

also 40k sucks idgaf about people or setting so here is my taudi gras army that makes canon nerds mad

in conclusion, gently caress nerds. my tau are here for the greater good time, y’all.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

5e is easily the best edition of d&d ever made, but it's still d&d, and d&d is meh

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

everyone should play blades in the dark instead

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I kinda want to try getting into painting 40k figures to see if it'll help my tremors but woof the prices on those bad boys.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I hear 3d printers are pretty cheap and accessible these days. hell my local library has 3d printers and you just bring in the modeling files on a thumb drive and they just charge you for the mats

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

painting is very cool and relaxing and well documented unlike in my youth. i am super anti youtube most of the time and like written poo poo but holy moly i improved massively as a painter with like maybe 15 hours of youtube study and loving around

this was painting off what i remembered from 2005 and was one of my first dudes

a bunch of videos about edge highlighting and painting techniques later

i still got a long way to go but holy gently caress video content for painting slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4JAFJglhWU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I hear 3d printers are pretty cheap and accessible these days. hell my local library has 3d printers and you just bring in the modeling files on a thumb drive and they just charge you for the mats

i have an ender3 pla printer and its $200 and while it wont do high detail minis at 40k scale without major fuckery, it fuckin rips for terrain. i got back into 40k because my friend handed me the ender and i immediately got a terrain boner.

(black terrain is 40k official and i havent tried to make my ender do that yet because lol lmao)

you just poop that poo poo out, prime and paint

like one $20 roll of pla will do pretty much all the terrain for a 2k points 40k game

pla rules but if you want detailed small scale sculpts thats extremely resin printer territory

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just bought a star wars legion box to play and paint with my son and while the unit design isn't as varied or fun as 40k the price is better

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i think the cheapest “paint plastic poo poo” onramp is unironically gundam figurines. theres no attached game but a cool robot is like $30

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Casual Encountess posted:

i think the cheapest “paint plastic poo poo” onramp is unironically gundam figurines. theres no attached game but a cool robot is like $30

and the painting is mainly detailing since most/all? of them come as coloured plastic already

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

the best RPG system imo is Risus. very simple, basically a vehicle for goofing around. last game, i played a disgraced and pretentious hollywood film director who would make my party members' attacks more powerful by filming them at an angle that made them look more dramatic.

combat is universally the worst part of any ttrpg, what you want is a system that accelerates it as much as possible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

quiggy posted:

5e is easily the most accessible version of d&d ever made, and it hit right as streaming became a thing which led to stuff like critical role, the adventure zone, etc. plus during the pandemic people wanted ways to connect with other people and it's not too tough to play on roll20 or what have you

that being said d&d remains a c-tier ttrpg and i hate the way it dominates the space. i have a lot of affection for the game as the game that introduced me to ttrpgs, and i adore the many decades of lore, but also i'd much rather play almost any other ttrpg. i sometimes have d&d friends get upset when i say i don't want to play d&d, which i liken to wanting to play rocket league when all your friends want to play call of duty: yeah they're very generally the same kind of game but they play nothing alike and you get totally different experiences and quite frankly i just don't find d&d that interesting any more

imo D&D is a pretty good system but i can see people getting bored with it. Its gonna be hard to get people to do an equally complex system if its benefits are not immediately apparent.

However, the "simplified" systems always seem to be more about encouraging more loose storytelling and that poo poo gets real tired real fast (ref: The Adventure Zone s2 or 3 and after)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Truman Peyote posted:

the best RPG system imo is Risus. very simple, basically a vehicle for goofing around. last game, i played a disgraced and pretentious hollywood film director who would make my party members' attacks more powerful by filming them at an angle that made them look more dramatic.

combat is universally the worst part of any ttrpg, what you want is a system that accelerates it as much as possible
hell yeah. I've had some of the best fun running risus.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I recently got a high end Lego set and can feel the nerd crafting bug nibbling at me

not a good idea right now though

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

or just do it. in 2023 im trying to get all my stem friends to try hobbies that use artistic skills because i think they are cool and good. go paint some poo poo or learn guitar or go to a knitting meetup at a bar.

i think its important to have hobbies that challenge your thinking in fun ways especially as ive gotten older and i want everybody to have good creative outlets

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i’ve been taking piano lessons for about 7 or 8 months and it’s very good to step away from stem bullshit for sure. i paint minis sometimes too but i find it harder to get started with that, piano i can just sit down and noodle for 5 minutes

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

bg3 is ok. some things are Extremely Larian such as high strength allowing you to super jump onto roofs. level 5 is currently the cap, but elemental reactions in the spells make for all of the horror that you would want

i am also still playing a mage

jesus WEP posted:

i’ve been taking piano lessons for about 7 or 8 months and it’s very good to step away from stem bullshit for sure. i paint minis sometimes too but i find it harder to get started with that, piano i can just sit down and noodle for 5 minutes

i've not touched a piano in ages, but i also don't have room for one :negative:

i hope you have fun with learning that the M in STEM stands for musical!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there's a charter school here that advertises itself as a STREAM school and my kneejerk reaction is always "ok, so you just recreated a regular school with actual funding"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

haveblue posted:

I recently got a high end Lego set and can feel the nerd crafting bug nibbling at me

not a good idea right now though

if you like lego building, you'll probably like gunpla building AND it's much cheaper