Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
itll have resource allocation and peeps being little shits about resource allocation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats the only true thing thats stayed between temple-priest-kings to rome-and-han-china to feudalism to capitalism. even if the classes are abolished there'll have to be some mechanism to prevent them popping up again so that'll be the countermeasures to peeps bein little shits about resource allocation

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shame Boy posted:

instead can we have a game that's just like, entirely glitter boys
we can!

quote:

The Starchildren

The year is 2073.

A century ago, radio transmissions from Earth passed through a strange ripple in space, and Rock & Roll fell upon the mystified ears of an alien world. Music was previously unknown to them, and the new feelings it produced heralded the dawn of a new age of ecstasy; during the five years of transmissions, their entire civilization began to revolve around the power of Rock. Many of them, enamored by the blissful human culture they'd seen, eventually decided to undertake a great pilgrimage. But when they arrived on Earth, it was difficult for them to imagine how such a dreary planet could be the origin of those distant, beautiful sounds.
The Man

Our world has become a cold, unhappy place. The Ministries of Culture have assumed control of the world's art and music, permitting only works which fit their own agendas. The past has been rewritten, and current events often aren't written at all. The minds of the people have become property of the Man, and Rock & Roll is a thing of the past.

Undaunted, these Starchildren walk among us, dazzling us with their refreshing beauty and forbidden music. Some join underground bands and uplift the masses with the power of music, while others decide to force change upon our world with songs of rage and revolution. And an insidious few have brought their powers to the other side, having decided that a sleepy, quiet world is just what they've needed all along...
The Velvet Generation

The broken-hearted and discontented youth of the Velvet Generation have found a powerful new voice in these new musicians. The impending revolution is sensed not only by the people, but also by the Ministry of Music, and "Mad Mother" is beginning to crack down with lethal force. To both the fans they enthrall and the authorities they fear, these lonely Starchildren must keep their true natures secret- and in this climate of oppression and control, secrets are hard to keep...
The Game

Starchildren: Velvet Generation is a role-playing game of rebellion, intrigue, and Rock & Roll in the world of the late 21st century. Players can assume the roles of band members (both human and alien), fans, revolutionaries, and even police officers, as they struggle to change the future. Whether taking on a deal-breaking music lord, a villianous rival band, or the Ministry itself, the world needs saving!

Friends are all around, but only if you know where to look; underground music dealers, airwave pirates, and the ever-increasing army of fans are all aids to the Velvet cause. Enemies, on the other hand, are much easier to find- unscrupulous managers, fringe scientists, the Ministry’s deadly enforcers, and even the aliens’ own destructive cravings are all (often deadly) threats.
its basically 70s bowie / man who fell to earth / velvet goldmine as a tabletop rpg

my copy is in storage, alas

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
my favorite rpg is still traveller

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

paranoia is a good time as long as you have a group who will engage with the premise instead of the memes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats the only true thing thats stayed between temple-priest-kings to rome-and-han-china to feudalism to capitalism. even if the classes are abolished there'll have to be some mechanism to prevent them popping up again so that'll be the countermeasures to peeps bein little shits about resource allocation

Hmmm

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
some rpgs i picked up recently

hopefully get to playing them this year

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
someday i really want to play a campaign of cyborg commando and lean into the body-horror nightmare of incredibly stupid ideas, abilities, and tradeoffs as detailed in the rulebook

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

rotor posted:

my favorite rpg is still traveller

traveller kicks rear end

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Truman Peyote posted:

traveller kicks rear end
classic traveller, megatravller, traveller: the new era, t4, gurps traveller, traveller d20, or mongoose traveller?

trick question, they all own (except t4 which sucked)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'm pretty sure i played mongoose traveller

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FMguru posted:

classic traveller, megatravller, traveller: the new era, t4, gurps traveller, traveller d20, or mongoose traveller?

trick question, they all own (except t4 which sucked)

classic, obvy

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Rifts is rad, but you all know we are just going to play FATAL.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kdrudy posted:

Rifts is rad, but you all know we are just going to play FATAL.

fantasy adventure to adult lechery, or from another time, another land?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I miss wtf d&d

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

VCs depositing: yes! Hahaha! Yes!
VCs withdrawing: well this loving sucks what the gently caress

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ADINSX posted:

I miss wtf d&d

didn't they spin it off into a separate website?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

itll have resource allocation and peeps being little shits about resource allocation

av / post combo

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

dont doxx my kubernetes setup

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
vc's in the qt's are accusing the black lefty of being a nazi because they have never read keynes to understand his reference

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1635302872291381248

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1635449541016145921

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
catching up

Soylent Pudding posted:

Matt Levine's article dropped a half hour ago.

https://archive.is/CqpVU

this is a good overview

Truman Peyote posted:

i know. for years i had thought there was one guy named jon favreau who directed iron man, then was obama's speechwriter, then wrote the mandalorian while also hosting pod save america. i found this to be a very funny type of guy to exist in the world

but it is one guy i don't know why you're talking like it isn't one guy because it is.

qirex posted:

heard an interesting conspiracy theory at work [presented as such] that this may be the big banks basically disposing of regionals, I mean if they're not behind it they're definitely going to end up with all their assets and business

this makes me lmao when it's clear that hyper-online techie dweebs are what triggered the svb bank run

(i mean yeah the bank went way too long and lacked diversification but multiple things i've read now by people all over the political spectrum have said the bank would have survived fine if people had not lost confidence)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sweevo posted:

didn't they spin it off into a separate website?

they did, it hasn't been updated since 2018

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

kliras posted:

vc's in the qt's are accusing the black lefty of being a nazi because they have never read keynes to understand his reference

calling for the extermination of a group of people is cool and good so long as you're quoting a rich white guy from the 19th century

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kliras posted:

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1635302872291381248

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1635449541016145921

am I missing something because that doesn’t seem like a very clear reference other than using the same word?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

am I missing something because that doesn’t seem like a very clear reference other than using the same word?

yeah I looked up the quote and I wouldn't expect anyone who hasn't specifically studied economics to get the reference. he didn't actually use any of the words keynes did other than "euthanizing". and euthanizing is a very loaded word

that said, he's talking about euthanizing business models, which aren't people, so go hog wild

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

haveblue posted:

yeah I looked up the quote and I wouldn't expect anyone who hasn't specifically studied economics to get the reference. he didn't actually use any of the words keynes did other than "euthanizing". and euthanizing is a very loaded word

that said, he's talking about euthanizing business models, which aren't people, so go hog wild

"kill yourself OF COURSE I MEAN HIS BUSINESS MODEL EVERYBODY"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

euthanize business models *ahem* ...in minecraft

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

meanwhile, the wsj knows who is really at fault for this:

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1635331043216736256

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
everything is so stupid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm not saying 12 white men would have avoided this mess, but one white man caused it (peter thiel)

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

finance is probably the whitest of loving white old, bald men and they absolutely lose they're poo poo whenever someone marginally different then that joins.

and its also a loving lie....

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so distracted by diversity demands that they totally missed lobbying for exactly the thing that sunk them for several years before it sunk them

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

refleks posted:

finance is probably the whitest of loving white old, bald men and they absolutely lose they're poo poo whenever someone marginally different then that joins.

and its also a loving lie....

drat what's it like posting from 1992

hang out in 200 West at 6am and watch how many old white guys come in over the next 2 hours, you might a whole dozen out of 4000*

*pre covid anyway, these days likely zero old white guys

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

infernal machines posted:

so distracted by diversity demands that they totally missed lobbying for exactly the thing that sunk them for several years before it sunk them

if the ceo wasn't surrounded by broads he wouldn't have failed like he did when he was running lehman brothers when they failed

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

infernal machines posted:

i'm not saying 12 white men would have avoided this mess, but one white man caused it (peter thiel)

so it was The Gay after all

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

meanwhile, the wsj knows who is really at fault for this:

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1635331043216736256

that is absolutely incredible

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Nybble posted:

so it was The Gay after all

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I look forward to biden organising a bailout of the lgtbq agenda that forces all white men to become black and gay

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

haveblue posted:

I think the author just wrote an edgy article hoping it would go viral. Which of course it did. So I guess it worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

mystes posted:

Apparently YOSPOS was only one bank run away from turning into D&D

more like laissez faire apparently

there are no only atheists in foxholes server closets