Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Rascyc posted:

7 hrs wtf

Rethinking my purchase for last spell. I have a hard enough time fitting Against the storm sessions in right now and those clock at like 2 hrs with max speed

For reference clearing a Haven in Last Spell is closer to the Storm wiping the overworld in Against the Storm. The actual Sessions would be the Day/Night cycles where each Night you do combat and the Day is Re/Building your defenses and Heroes.

Those are closer to an Hour or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I seriously cannot get the powerstaff to feel like it's worth using. Not sure what I'm doing wrong

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

DoubleT2172 posted:

I seriously cannot get the powerstaff to feel like it's worth using. Not sure what I'm doing wrong

For downsides it's extremely mana intensive and unless you get lucky with spell range, it basically makes your guy a melee fighter (meaning you need mitigation or ways to run away), but it has 2 big aoes (especially the triangle shaped one) and an aoe stun(!), meaning you can blow up or cc entire waves. Always have an escape plan. Since you know you will always be aoe debuffing, you can get that one stat (opportunity, I think it's called) that makes you do more damage to debuffed enemies. In later waves, when you have teleports set up, a guy with a powerstaff can lock down a turn by itself while your other guys are off dealing with bigger threats.

I started a new game and got powerstaff/sword/rifle. First time w/ rifle, seems like a good mid-late game tool but highly meh early. My first recruit is a 2nd powerstaff (I thought it was a spear!) and every wave is a positional nightmare but I'm getting by ok with a greedy build order. My biggest issue is I just need to learn all the weapons so I can go "hmm, yes, I will switch to this druid staff or 2h axe now."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Last Spell, there is a turbo option hidden in settings that helps quite a bit, cause once you get 7 heroes/40 ballista you will want to fast forward.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Hyper Light Drifter got a gameplay trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQb-m0RaG0

I'm still interested, but I missed the news that they'd decided to go with a procedurally generated, coop, roguelite.

That genre is just so crowded, and Hyper Light Drifter felt so unique. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I won't pretend my hype isn't dampened a bit by this news.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Decon posted:

Hyper Light Drifter got a gameplay trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQb-m0RaG0

I'm still interested, but I missed the news that they'd decided to go with a procedurally generated, coop, roguelite.

That genre is just so crowded, and Hyper Light Drifter felt so unique. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I won't pretend my hype isn't dampened a bit by this news.

I think it looks cool as hell!

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Looks like Solar Ash was a bit of a practice run for engine/style. That was a cool game, but felt a bit shallow mechanically.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

External Organs posted:

I think it looks cool as hell!

For sure. Mechanically and stylistically it looks dope. And I'm admittedly a sucker for dodge n' hit 3rd person combat.

But if I just pull up my recently played on steam, I've got Heroes of Hammerwatch, Ember Knights, and Inkbound, and then further back I've got 127 hours in Risk of Rain 2.

Heart Machine makes good stuff, and I'm still hopeful, but it's just a crowded genre right now. I hope that it has a strong enough identity to stand out.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Fatty posted:

Looks like Solar Ash was a bit of a practice run for engine/style. That was a cool game, but felt a bit shallow mechanically.

I felt the same way about it. I was very interested in the world and story, and the gameplay was alright for a while, but it really started to drag. This looks like a much more enjoyable step forward.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Vernal Edge

quote:

Vernal Edge is a 2D action-packed Metroidvania featuring an intense combat system, tight platforming sequences and a powerful story of rivalry, revenge and growth.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256935559/movie480_vp9.webm
1 review so far (they like it). 10% launch discount.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Vernal Edge is very solid about an hour in, the controls feel responsive and the platforming and combat I've done so far have been fun. Only problem I have is that the game slows down for a few seconds every once in awhile.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Decon posted:

Heart Machine makes good stuff, and I'm still hopeful, but it's just a crowded genre right now. I hope that it has a strong enough identity to stand out.
My current playgroup alternates between DRG, RoR2 and Gunfire Reborn, and to be honest we’re still looking for more. Haven’t quite introduced them to Heroes of Hammerwatch though, I played through that with a different group previously. Once Inkbound comes out that will take up a slot though.

Do you recommend Ember Knights?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm loving Birth, a quiet, meditative puzzle game. You are a creature in a city, and you are lonely, so you decide to build a friend.

Rock Paper Shotgun review

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Uncle Khasim posted:

My current playgroup alternates between DRG, RoR2 and Gunfire Reborn, and to be honest we’re still looking for more. Haven’t quite introduced them to Heroes of Hammerwatch though, I played through that with a different group previously. Once Inkbound comes out that will take up a slot though.

Do you recommend Ember Knights?

If you liked Hades and like coop roguelite, you'll like Ember Knights. It's not 1:1 with Hades and not trying to be, just has some noticable similarities imo.

It's not done yet though, but I'd certainly consider it if those kind of games are up your alley and 2d isn't a turn off for your group.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MadHat posted:

For reference clearing a Haven in Last Spell is closer to the Storm wiping the overworld in Against the Storm. The actual Sessions would be the Day/Night cycles where each Night you do combat and the Day is Re/Building your defenses and Heroes.

Those are closer to an Hour or so.
Thanks this is way more palatable

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

River Tails: Stronger Together

quote:

River Tails: Stronger Together is a 3D co-op adventure platformer with a colourful cartoon aesthetic. Teammates must work together to defeat end-of-level bosses and solve puzzles across a range of natural-world environments.

Play either as Furple, the curious and excitable purple kitten, or Finn, the independent fish with a bit of an attitude problem. You’ll embark upstream with these unexpected allies, towards the icy mountain where Furple’s family are in mortal danger. Can you save them in time?
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256932266/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1677167791
Early Access, 10 reviews, all positive so far

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 24, 2023

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm loving Birth, a quiet, meditative puzzle game. You are a creature in a city, and you are lonely, so you decide to build a friend.

Rock Paper Shotgun review

I really enjoyed this game. Two hours for full completion at a chill pace, lots of cute little puzzles, and a rather unique atmosphere.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Storyteller finally graduated from being a 10 year old HTML game. It’s original, fun, and funny. And you can finish it in 90 minutes and it has no replay value.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Beyond the Wall

quote:

Classic point-and-click adventure with a magical atmosphere. Discover what happens one night Beyond the Wall of the garden. Immerse yourself into a mysterious world where fantasy meets reality with a pinch of humor. Solve puzzles, collect items, and overcome obstacles that await you on your journey.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256929748/movie480_vp9.webm
90% out of 11.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

hyphz posted:

Storyteller finally graduated from being a 10 year old HTML game. It’s original, fun, and funny. And you can finish it in 90 minutes and it has no replay value.

What did they do in all those years? I've seen people complete the game in one hour.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FrickenMoron posted:

What did they do in all those years? I've seen people complete the game in one hour.

I'm thinking it was made by one person, and I imagine all the time went into possible combinations in each cell and the animations/logic behind each of them.

It's also like 14 bucks so, whatever. From what I've seen, the fun of the game isn't necessarily about just solving the puzzles, but seeing what 'stories' you can make with each of them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

From playing it through, Storyteller strikes me as a game that was more fun to design and make than actually play. Not that playing it isn't fun - the brief experience it does give you is very good - but the devloper actually making the game got the sandbox experience a lot of people who liked the demo were hoping for. Might have affected their judgement on how satisfying the final experience they'd made actually is for a player.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I mean, the book is labeled "volume 1", so maybe the permutation structure will be further expanded upon.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Discendo Vox posted:

I mean, the book is labeled "volume 1", so maybe the permutation structure will be further expanded upon.

In another decade?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

based on interviews it seems like
a) at one point he rebuilt the game from the ground up basically on a whim and
b) he just took a break from gamedev for a few years somewhere in that decade

love that. love a guy that will just gently caress off somewhere, leave the office for a smoke break and just never come back

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

catgirlgenius posted:

based on interviews it seems like
a) at one point he rebuilt the game from the ground up basically on a whim and
b) he just took a break from gamedev for a few years somewhere in that decade

love that. love a guy that will just gently caress off somewhere, leave the office for a smoke break and just never come back

The Dad-ification of games is complete

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Did it take pre-orders or something? Why are people mad about some dev taking a long time to make their little artistic game?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Always, about something

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Did it take pre-orders or something? Why are people mad about some dev taking a long time to make their little artistic game?

Because if a game doesn't give you x amount of hours per dollar spent then it's clearly a bad game, which is why 100+ hour open world endless collectathon games are the pinnacle of the art.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's good but vaguely unsatisfying when you finish it.

If you've ever complained about portion sizes at a fancy restaurant, you might know the feeling.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Terra Nil is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfqp47WQlqg

quote:

Terra Nil is an intricate environmental strategy game about transforming a barren wasteland into a thriving, balanced ecosystem. Bring life back to a lifeless world by purifying soil, cleaning oceans, planting trees, and reintroducing wildlife, then leave without a trace.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1593030/Terra_Nil/

Terra Nil is a game about restoring nature and planning ahead. I played the demo for this for over 20 hours and the full game did not dissapoint. There is also something extremely satifying about seeing all of the nature you have helped restore when you finally pack everything back into your airship and fly away. Also a portion of the profits go towards the Endangered Wildlife Trust.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Tombot posted:

Terra Nil is out!

Terra Nil is a game about restoring nature and planning ahead. I played the demo for this for over 20 hours and the full game did not dissapoint. There is also something extremely satifying about seeing all of the nature you have helped restore when you finally pack everything back into your airship and fly away. Also a portion of the profits go towards the Endangered Wildlife Trust.

This is also available on mobile if you have a Netflix account.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Morpheus posted:

This is also available on mobile if you have a Netflix account.

Oh drat, that's cool. Netflix probably knows I'd cancel if it weren't for the good mobile games too.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Tombot posted:

Terra Nil is out!

I've played the first 2 levels and it's a super chill game.

I wish there was free play with custom map sizes so I could set it to like 4 times the size.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Tombot posted:

Terra Nil is out!

Also played a few hours of this yesterday. Calling it a city builder (which the marketing seems to imply) is incorrect imo. It's really a puzzle game. Each map type has a set of buildings across different tiers, and you choose what buildings to place where, which affect the map tiles in different ways and interact with the changes from previously placed buildings. Each tier has goals of converting a certain number of tiles, which unlock new buildings, tiers, and more complicated goals. The puzzle part is you have both limited resources (eco points or whatever the green leaf stuff is) that you use to pay for buildings, and limited map tiles. Certain buildings require certain map tiles, or other buildings to be placed first, and you earn a variable number of new eco points depending on where you place buildings. If you aren't paying attention to the game mechanics and planning ahead, you can box yourself in and either run out of eco points or the right map tiles to meet your goals.

Overall though a very chill and beautiful puzzle game. The final phase of each map where you have to tear down everything you build and leave no trace is a cool mode shift, and having a restored, pristine environment at the end of each map is quite satisfying. My one criticism is $25 might be a bit expensive for a puzzle game with 8 board types that are all procedurally generated instead of hand crafted. Also, if you are after a city building or management sim, this isn't that at all.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It's on mobile via Netflix too, so if you're already a subscriber, it's "free" and plays nicely on the iPad.

Plus 1 on the puzzle game comment. It's a bit like Dorfromantik.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Terra Nil is kinda tedious with the whole "managing your square footage" schtick when it comes to plopping down structures to maximize the resource output.

I'd probably jump on it in a heartbeat if it had a sandbox mode.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

DREDGE looks interesting both in style and game

quote:

DREDGE is a single-player fishing adventure with a sinister undercurrent. Sell your catch, upgrade your boat, and dredge the depths for long-buried secrets. Explore a mysterious archipelago and discover why some things are best left forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrRWb7tFxR8

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Smalland just came out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/768200/Smalland_Survive_the_Wilds/

You are a tiny elf who has to survive in the wilds while doing work for your elf society. It's sort of like Grounded in terms of the scale, but instead of a Honey I Shrunk the Kids vibe, it's more like a little fantasy society which happens to exist at a tiny scale. So far it has been fun- it is a bit less committed to making you feel like you are tiny and the world is big (e.g. there is tiny, normal sized grass on the ground, not just giant stalks of it all over), but nonetheless you are still out there fighting giant ladybugs and getting rocked by ants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rCzFaj-pQI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

mrmcd posted:

Also played a few hours of this yesterday. Calling it a city builder (which the marketing seems to imply) is incorrect imo. It's really a puzzle game.

Thanks for the comments. I would love an eco-based builder game with the same premise here, but I am less excited about a puzzler. Think I'll skip this one.