Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
plex rules shout out to my nerd friends who run servers so i don’t even have to bother with bittorrent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

bump_fn posted:

plex rules shout out to my nerd friends who run servers so i don’t even have to bother with bittorrent

hell yeah i run one and a few of my friends do so we all share them, it works out real well.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

american cryptography export restriction. after the restrictions were over, just korean peeps bein ornery

i always forget that was a real thing

thanks, uncle sam

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

your welcome

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
american export restrictions on cryptography are still a thing

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

just watched the lowly blackhawks destroy the bruins at united center
lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

lol

the wings smoked them the other day too

bruins are cooked

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh wait poo poo nice! was that your first NHL game?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

oh wait poo poo nice! was that your first NHL game?

yup! got a jersey for it and everything

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

:hellyeah:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/5RyZ1IR_lq.mp4

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
well, i think this is the second time it happened, but it may just be a thing now w my body that i get white peep style earwax when i get sick

got some biological appropriation of white peeps ear metabolisms up here

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

that sounds horrible. i would never trade my earwax

also, i had three hours of sleep and if i sound weird, well.. it feels like it makes perfect sense right now. present time

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
infection with norovirus is ended. now head cold is my infection

fml.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

this is a conversation from last page but re: stranger things, if you fell off it in season 2 or 3 that is completely and totally justified but you really ought to give the first few eps of season 4 a go, it's a monumental improvement in every way and the fourth episode in particular is probably the best episode they ever made. i've seen the whole show several times through at this point (don't ask) and seasons 2/3 are definitely weaker than 1/4

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

that said the russia poo poo in season 4 is the worst bit and i really wish they had never included any '80s cold war nostalgia poo poo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

whenever the focus is off the kids it's not very good imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

lol

lol

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

lol when i remember samwise gamgee hacking a power plant(?) by free typing BASIC into a terminal

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

REM this is where the password is
POKE 6969, “pass”

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Armitag3 posted:

lol when i remember samwise gamgee hacking a power plant(?) by free typing BASIC into a terminal

lol the tech stuff is always dumb but i at least read that as "we're doing a pastiche of '80s tropes and the tech stuff in those is always dumb"

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

quiggy posted:

lol the tech stuff is always dumb but i at least read that as "we're doing a pastiche of '80s tropes and the tech stuff in those is always dumb"

hollywood hacking is everywhere, though, and it’s always lol worthy

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

there's a bit in season 4 where a character accesses ~the internet~ and none of the others know what it is and her response is "don't worry about it, it's just gonna change the world". never mind that i think the in-universe year is 1986, meaning this literal child in a conservative mormon household in suburban utah for some reason has access to the pre-www internet

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Armitag3 posted:

oh im aware, ive been rewatching personal favorite Russian Doll and the bits where they show her doing her job as a video game programmer, my literal job irl, are viscerally painful

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

quiggy posted:

oh im aware, ive been rewatching personal favorite Russian Doll and the bits where they show her doing her job as a video game programmer, my literal job irl, are viscerally painful

“they’re hacking the HTML!!!!”

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Armitag3 posted:

“they’re hacking the HTML!!!!”

Russian Doll season 1 has a bit late where Natasha Lyonne's character says they're gonna test their theory about the universe by running a unit test, and her explanation of what a unit test is isn't wrong per se but i've definitely never heard anyone describe one that way

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Armitag3 posted:

That was the PLC-style control system for a science lab's doors and lights. And I mean it's set in 1983 or something. It's not implausible that that stuff would have been controlled by a completely unsecured BASIC program running on an IBM PC

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Armitag3 posted:

Hackers (1995) is a treasure

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
this is somehow the main branch of the company but the PCs are loving garbage. mine has a goddamn firewire 400 port

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

quiggy posted:

this is a conversation from last page but re: stranger things, if you fell off it in season 2 or 3 that is completely and totally justified but you really ought to give the first few eps of season 4 a go, it's a monumental improvement in every way and the fourth episode in particular is probably the best episode they ever made. i've seen the whole show several times through at this point (don't ask) and seasons 2/3 are definitely weaker than 1/4

agreed. 2 and especially 3 weren’t very good but 4 was redeeming.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hey, PCs never really came with FireWire ports. That was probably a really expensive upgrade in 2001

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m at the office and I have to pretend it’s a normal day, but tomorrow I am off for 3 weeks

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i didnt even know what job Lyonne had in Russian Doll, good memory quigs hehe

I wasn't a big fan of season 2 - was all over the place instead of a more focused weird story. time travel is hard to do well.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vintersorg posted:

I wasn't a big fan of season 2 - was all over the place instead of a more focused weird story. time travel is hard to do well.

my season 2 take is "the show did not need a season 2 but i think they did it well". it's definitely a different thing from the first season though, and im happy they didn't just do "hey what if we did a time loop again" as the gimmick

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
very relieved to report i wasn't ghosted yesterday :)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i didn't see season 2 of russian doll because everything i'd heard about it tells me i wouldn't like it

season 1 was good enough that i'm just gonna pretend it didn't continue

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

witcher was good when it was medieval fantasy x-files. motw episodes are universally great. when it got all lore and prestige it loving sucks

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Vintersorg posted:

if you can tell what a computer toucher's job is they can be replaced

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

my tv series hot take is that no show should be longer than 8-12 episodes, i will allow a second series several years later if you must

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol modern series get like 10 episodes if they're lucky. most of the ones that get more than that faceplant anyway

part of the problem is that serialization is hard. a short episode order can work if you don't have a lot to say, or if you already know how you're gonna say it. they usually don't though, going off into weird tangents with no resolution or actual arc planning

that's also why something like star trek works well with 20+ episodes per season. there's a general premise and sometimes an overarching background story, but that's it