Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Nybble posted:

Matt Levine has half-seriously floated this a few times in his newsletter: open for 9:30-10, take a break, close from 3-4.

thats because it makes sense for 99% of all retail investors. there is no reason for anyone to be looking at order-books during intraday trading.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

weirder things have happened, i used to work on an exchange software product which had a mode for just doing successive auctions, adapting their length to the trading activity. so e.g. illiquid stuff got a couple of hour-long auctions a day (the length of the next auction based on the activity in the last), where stuff that was very active did millisecond-level auctions which pretty much appeared like continuous trading to humans. but as the idea then was that it would be more fair to participants with less sophisticated market access it wasn't very popular functionality. also it made the code very cumbersome.

SEC has suggested this as well to try and stamp down on lovely payment for order flow deals market makers do with brokers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i might be remembering it wrong, but i think its not just retail and the overwhelming majority of all trades happen at open and close.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

alternatively return to tradition: only allow buying and selling from a crowded floor of peeps screaming and waving notepads

gently caress it bring back fractional pricing too

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

abolish currency and money, return to livestock and crafted goods bartering.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

post hole digger posted:

i might be remembering it wrong, but i think its not just retail and the overwhelming majority of all trades happen at open and close.

the bulk of the liquidity is in the open and close auctions - irrespective of the investor type

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

madmatt112 posted:

abolish currency and money, return to livestock and crafted goods bartering.

google ron paul

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

citi (as my default standin for reasonably stable giant) has been having a nice series of +/-6% openings too

getting to the point where one wonders why they bother with the actual trading day at all, just do the once-per-day auctions and be done with it.

citi is the largest bank to ever have gone insolvent

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

citi had to get several billion in "help" from the saudi sovereign wealth fund over a year before the 2008 crisis. they really should have been allowed to go out of business but wachovia/wamu melting down made the government decide no more big consumer banks were going away and they got bailed out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...a foreign entity buying a large chunk of a systemically important domestic bank seems like something that should be either not allowed or very, very closely watched

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
saudis have 9.8% of credit suisse, too

generally in this case its westerners stealing the money back, basically

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

haveblue posted:

...a foreign entity buying a large chunk of a systemically important domestic bank seems like something that should be either not allowed or very, very closely watched

I have bad news for you about a lot of systemically important things my dude

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I have bad news for you about a lot of systemically important things my dude

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a lot of what set off the japanese lost generation thingy was them buying a lot of overvalued crap during the drunken good times and refusing to accept that they got swindled by the western equities peeps. mainly their own real estate peeps and western real estate peeps but a lot of it was western equities peeps

i dont really have anything to go against the thesis that the same happened to prc peeps this past few years

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 15, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a lot of what set off the japanese lost generation thingy was them buying a lot of overvalued crap during the drunken good times and refusing to accept that they got swindled by the western equities pardners. mainly their own real estate pardners and western real estate pardners but a lot of it was western equities pardners

i dont really have anything to go against the thesis that the same happened to prc pardners this past few years

agreed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
doesnt uh the prc have a whole bunch of rules against foreign ownership of stuff

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they dont have rules against prc peeps buying western poo poo and real estate both western and prc ruinously overpriced tho

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 15, 2023

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

google ron paul

his wife did that and look who’s in the senate now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Internaut! posted:

drat what's it like posting from 1992

hang out in 200 West at 6am and watch how many old white guys come in over the next 2 hours, you might a whole dozen out of 4000*

*pre covid anyway, these days likely zero old white guys
lasses fair

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

they dont have rules against prc peeps buying western poo poo and real estate both western and prc ruinously overpriced tho

isnt the problem with china that the govt will not bail out stuff to protect the system as a whole, but only if the company needing a bailout is buddies with xi?

because what are people who just lost their retirement savings going to do? travel across the company and show up in beijing to get clubbed to death by the riot police?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no, theyve done systemic bailouts too. no real love lost w evergrande and the natl govt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah and then they all get killed in white vans. truly a barbarous place

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they dont let them in beijing, there is a brutally obscure special kind of semi-cop that plays interference and keeps provincial peeps complaining from getting to beijing in the first place

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 15, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

EricBauman posted:

isnt the problem with china that the govt will not bail out stuff to protect the system as a whole, but only if the company needing a bailout is buddies with xi?

because what are people who just lost their retirement savings going to do? travel across the company and show up in beijing to get clubbed to death by the riot police?

do you have any examples of the system collapsing under xi?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

brutally obscure special kind of semi-cop that plays interference

got any search terms? i wanna know more

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
heres an article

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN16931T

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fart simpson posted:

yeah, underlying a lot of previous conversation has been that if you run things properly "how are we going to portion out our bailouts" doesn't have to become a question a whole lot.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

fart simpson posted:

i wasn't talking about a collapse of the entire economy, but more about people being enticed/forced to invest in certain companies that then turn out to be three hedgehogs in a trench coat, causing old folks in certain industries or provinces to lose their entire retirement savings. i feel like those stories were fairly common a few years ago?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
heres a long and boring scholarly article, with the anti-dudes as a footnote

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1548577

theyve been doing this poo poo for millennia, so the institutions to hide this poo poo from the central authorities are also millennia old

like the chinese counterpart to those ridiculously old timey new england town hall dealios which are kept because peeps keep random governmental detritus for centuries and millennia

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 16, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

EricBauman posted:

i wasn't talking about a collapse of the entire economy, but more about people being enticed/forced to invest in certain companies that then turn out to be three hedgehogs in a trench coat, causing old folks in certain industries or provinces to lose their entire retirement savings. i feel like those stories were fairly common a few years ago?

ok well thats not really what bailouts to protect the system as a whole means though

i think you're mostly talking about the henan bank crisis from about 2 years ago, where a bunch of regional banks failed after making speculative investments and a bunch of mostly old people stood to lose money? do you know what happened in the end of that? i mostly ask that question because i think this is one of the frustrating things with a pattern of reporting on china in the west. i can find a million articles from the beginning of that event, talking mostly about people protesting and a little about why the banks were failing, but i can't seem to find any english language articles about the resolution of the crisis or the aftermath, i can only find stuff in chinese. so i guess if you're reading english language news you're just going to remember that there were protests and you won't know anything else about the event really

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

assuming you are talking about that, what basically had happened was a bunch of rural banks in henan were doing speculative investments and offering investment products to local people, returning like 4-5% interest. this level of interest wasn't really sustainable and it came crashing down. deposits in chinese banks are insured up to ¥500,000 by the chinese equivalent of the fdic, but the problem here was that it wasnt clear if this stuff counted as "deposits" or "investment products", which arent insured. because they were actually investment products but the banks might have been essentially tricking old people into investing in them thinking they were high interest bank deposits. anyway in the end of it all, chinese regulators decided to basically act as if they were all deposits and insure all the account holders up to the ¥500,000 limit anyway, allow said banks to fail, and then disburse any remaining assets of the liquidated banks to any account holders who had more than ¥500,000 in there over the insurance limit

e: all this happened in 2022, not 2 years ago. lol 2022 feels like 2-3 years ago

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 16, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what the sketch wealth funds exist(ed) to do is to buy overpriced land

or pretend to do other poo poo and actually buy overpriced land lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

fart simpson posted:

i can find a million articles from the beginning of that event, talking mostly about people protesting and a little about why the banks were failing, but i can't seem to find any english language articles about the resolution of the crisis or the aftermath, i can only find stuff in chinese. so i guess if you're reading english language news you're just going to remember that there were protests and you won't know anything else about the event really

yeah this is an incredibly frustrating characteristic of western news sources. initial events are usually covered well enough but theres almost no follow-through, particularly if any resolution doesn't fit the initial framing

of course with china you almost always get some bullshit anti-communist bias too

e: synonyms :haw:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 16, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i don't know if i'd call that a pun

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
yeah i edited it. that was more preemptive because i was eating

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
phrasing. we're doing phrasing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
phrase or crane

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

IIRC the PRC has a cap on how much money citizens are allowed to take out of the country (like $20k or $14k or something), which in theory is way more money than any foreign real estate could be bought for. So it's a de facto rule against their peeps buying western real estate.

In practice there are whole networks of money mules who will get the money out of the country, and banks in the US and Canada will more than happily facilitate this, despite it being basically money laundering.

But it seems like the kind of thing the PRC could clamp down on if they actually cared?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it’s $50k per year per citizen

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are there any chinese-language equivalents of 'fulano de tal'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fulano de Tal was a north-American latin rock band, formed in 1995 in Miami, Florida. The original band members were: Elsten Torres (Lead Vocals, Guitar, & Songwriter), Brendan Buckley (Drummer, programming, vocals), Julian Adam Zimmon (Guitars), and Leo Nobre (Bass guitar, Background vocals). John Michael Falcone (Bass guitar, Vocals) replaced Leo in 1996. Fulano de Tal recorded two full-length albums. The name of the band is the Portuguese/Spanish variant of the American term "John Doe". The first album was called Normal and it was released in April 1997 through BMG/RCA records. At the time, Fulano was the first north-American latin rock band to be signed to a major label.[citation needed] The band toured extensively throughout the United States and some Latin American countries during the years of 1997 and 1999. In 2000, the band released their sophomore effort, Etc. through the independent label: Radio Vox/DLN. It was also in 2000 that the band separated. Brendan and Julian joined pop/superstar Shakira as part of her touring band. Elsten Torres released the Grammy nominated album, Individual in 2006 under the name "Fulano", but it was his first solo album although both Brendan and Julian joined in the production and performance of the album.