Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I take it he's deleted those tweets, after everyone pointed out how many pronouns he used in presenting it, as well as in the example he used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vakal posted:

I actually have this book. I picked it up years back since it looked like a fun throwback to a Flash Gordon-esque space fantasy adventure based on it's cover.

Here are the order of events in the book if I remember correctly:

- Main character is a 13 year old boy who's family is forced to abandon their home, gather their little remaining money and book passage on a giant space bubble raft filled with other desperate families trying to find refuge on another moon or planet.

- Soon into their trip, the organizers take all their money and gently caress-off into a life pod, leaving the refugees to just drift in space.

- Pirates find the bubble, board, take everyone's stuff and the pirate leader rapes the main character's older sister in front of everyone.

- Next pirate groups comes along and the men of the bubble decide to fight back this time. They are all killed. The pirates rape the women before leaving.

- More pirates come later, leaving only the women to protect the children. The women are all overpowered and raped.

- The refugees run out of food and start having to eat the meat of off the men's dead bodies.

- The bubble eventually drifts into a major space port of one of Jupiter's moons which rejects their claim for asylum due to political bureaucracy and tows the bubble back out into space.

- More pirates come and the women this time just offer up their bodies instead of fighting back. They are all raped and then killed anyway.

- Only the kids are left now. More pirates show up, more kids die. I can't remember how it ends but only the main boy survives somehow and is left an orphan on strange new world.

And that's just some of the bullet points, not including the main character's mental breakdown where he tries to pull his own penis out by the root since he doesn't want to grow up to rape women.

So in summary, it's a very misleading cover.

That's just the first book of the series.

It gets so much worse.

The "hero" spends most of one book in a sexual relationship with a nonverbal child,

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
gotta admit it's hilarious how piers anthony is so loving horrible that the discussion of how loving horrible he is can take over any thread

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So one question, how the hell did he apparently get so popular? Like did he start off non mass rapey and just got stupidly awful overtime, or was he always like this and people are just awful?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Captain Yossarian posted:

Cartoonist chat, but I always assumed Gary Larson was a good dude. Hates (hated?) the internet which is honestly also probably correct too. I've also never heard anything bad about Jim Davis

Bad news, dude loves the internet and digital art now. But his open letter makes me smile and he posts some new stuff once in a while.

https://www.thefarside.com/about/48/a-letter-from-gary-larson

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

dr_rat posted:

So one question, how the hell did he apparently get so popular? Like did he start off non mass rapey and just got stupidly awful overtime, or was he always like this and people are just awful?

I remember reading the first two incarnations of immortality books as a kid and the first one I think somehow didn’t have anything weird in it.
I remember the second one had the main character in a relationship with a woman except because of his status as Time he went generally backwards so his first meeting with her was her *last* meeting with her and it was weird

I also remember reading the incarnations of immortality books ended with God being sued for negligence and the trial took place in the US Congress so even outside of the horrible stuff it still ended up being garbage on the end

Off topic, but is it just me or did Dilbert start making the boss the protagonist instead of Dilbert?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

the Orb of Zot posted:

Off topic, but is it just me or did Dilbert start making the boss the protagonist instead of Dilbert?

it's not just you, Scott Adams got rich and naturally started to emphasize with Management

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yep, pretty sure it was a gradual thing as he got richer he started shifting to the boss more, so for a long time people didn't really notice.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

the Orb of Zot posted:

I remember reading the first two incarnations of immortality books as a kid and the first one I think somehow didn’t have anything weird in it.

The first one had Satan torturing the main character’s girlfriend with electrified nipple clamps, but by PA standards that’s pretty tame. Plus he saves her with the power of logic.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

dr_rat posted:

I mean, he started writing in the 70's, his main books were the Xanth books, which aren't at all bad on the same level as some of his worst stuff. But I think the big thing is that he used a lot of very young teenage protagonists, many of them 13 or 14. At that age you would expect some degree of attraction for someone who is 12 or 13, and people go "awwww, a childhood crush." But of course it isn't that at all, it's a complete sexualization of a child by an adult using the filter of a child protagonist to give them cover.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Cartoonist chat, but I always assumed Gary Larson was a good dude. Hates (hated?) the internet which is honestly also probably correct too. I've also never heard anything bad about Jim Davis

His legal team threatened Something Awful for posting his comics in the newspaper comics thread for 2021. The thread had to be locked away from viewing until all the images were removed, which they have been; I did the final check before it was re-released for public consumption. And yet somehow I can't hold it against the guy

Jim Davis approved GarfieldEATS and did a promo for it, so his sellout instincts helped create the greatest work of art known to man

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Devils Affricate posted:

Have you heard that he's responsible for Garfield?

Yes I like Garfield thank you

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Learning a lot about Jim Davis and Gary Larson since my post yesterday and I like them more the more I learn about them. I hope neither of them brag about murdering their ex stepson or I will have egg on my face

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yes I like Garfield thank you

N-

...Nathanfield...?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I haven't dug into the history of Dilbert enough to know, I just always kinda assumed he went the same way Dave Sim did with Cerberus, which is: started off with something people legitimately enjoyed, got brain worms from the attention, and then the work went to poo poo because it became polluted with the warped political & philosophical leanings of its creator.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

dr_rat posted:

Supposedly he was, at one point in time, about the only fantasy writer doing stuff for whatever age group Xanth was aimed at. Also, when he was starting out, Anthony would personally answer each and every fan letter, until the sheer volume of them forced him to stop.

I mean, I remember the very first Xanth book, wherein a centaur scholar educates the protagonist on the history of Xanth. Basically there's a magic shield which separates Xanth from Mundania (our world), specifically southern Florida. But the shield sometimes falters, and whenever it does, a 'wave' of Mundanes pour in, and... rape the hell out of the native women. That resulted in babies, then the children develop magic powers and become the new residents. Now, personally, I thought this part was well written; the rape wasn't used for cheap titillation, but it wasn't sugar-coated either.

But then, later in the book, the protagonist encounters a woman accusing some men of rape. The woman's magical talent (everyone has one) is that sometimes she's very pretty and very stupid, and sometimes she's very smart and incredibly ugly. It turns out that she willingly made whoopie during the pretty phase, and then during the smart phase she accused them of taking advantage, thus furthering the "it's not really rape, she just changed her mind" stereotype.

Did I mention that the smart/stupid phases take place over a monthly cycle? Yeeeeeeeeeeeah.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i mean xanth is Magic Florida, what the gently caress did you expect

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gynovore posted:

Supposedly he was, at one point in time, about the only fantasy writer doing stuff for whatever age group Xanth was aimed at. Also, when he was starting out, Anthony would personally answer each and every fan letter, until the sheer volume of them forced him to stop.

Yeah, it’s this. Teenagers have lovely taste and the 80s/90s were dire for decent fantasy stuff. It’s the rare fantasy from that time period that has nothing horrifying to a 2023 reader.

As stated, he is just an enormous creep who uses the viewpoints of child and teen characters to get to be creepy as gently caress.

The whole story of the “letters to jenny” circumstance is probably the worst overall thing. After a fan wrote to him, he connected with her, and she either had been in a car accident or shortly got into one, and they had a correspondence to the point that anthony later released all their letters as a book. He included Jenny in the xanth books and there was just always this vibe of actual grooming with him.

Of course piers went on to have the jenny character marry someone, who…

Well.

God loving drat, i clicked a link in that wiki and wound up on the synopsis for his book “Demons Don’t Dream”, which i remembered as a video game themed novel

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 16, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
How the hell did Scott adams not end up being the worst person being talked about in the scott adams thread!!!!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

dr_rat posted:

How the hell did Scott adams not end up being the worst person being talked about in the scott adams thread!!!!

The Internet is a vast and relentless comparison machine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

5er posted:

The Internet is a vast and relentless comparison machine.

Oh, well one day I hope the internet reaches it final goal of finding out who the single worst person in existence is I guess then. :(

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I Woke Up As My Videogame Character In Another World and Now My Teenaged Pen Pal is Sexy??

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

His legal team threatened Something Awful for posting his comics in the newspaper comics thread for 2021. The thread had to be locked away from viewing until all the images were removed, which they have been; I did the final check before it was re-released for public consumption. And yet somehow I can't hold it against the guy

Jim Davis approved GarfieldEATS and did a promo for it, so his sellout instincts helped create the greatest work of art known to man

As a child i abhorred Jim Davis’ desire and ability to make the greatest amount of money for the least amount of work.

As an adult I deeply respect it

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Applewhite posted:

I Woke Up As My Videogame Character In Another World and Now My Teenaged Pen Pal is Sexy??

at least she's a teenager

christ, i wish i had quit reading the xanth books before i got to the one where the love interest isn't

"well these are p bad but how bad can they get?" :cripes:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The more I learn about this Piers Anthony character the less I like him TBH.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 16, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
otoh he did make me laugh at a pun, so who can say whether he's bad or not

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Jim Davis even seems cool with all the Lasagna Cat stuff which is funny because the videos keep getting taken down and everyone blames him even though the real issue is they're using popular copywrited songs

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

JAMOOOL posted:

Jim Davis even seems cool with all the Lasagna Cat stuff which is funny because the videos keep getting taken down and everyone blames him even though the real issue is they're using popular copywrited songs

On this podcast with the creators they mentioned the only complaint that they received from Jim Davis is that they remove a reference to the address of "Paws, Inc.", his comic studio.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/166s1naw0oDkcY0xthiClN

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

As a child i abhorred Jim Davis’ desire and ability to make the greatest amount of money for the least amount of work.

It's kind of baller that Davis is onboard with people getting weird with Garfield. It's not exactly a surprise he went ahead with the licensing for GarfieldEATS, since that was a possible avenue for more money (lol). Lasagna Cat is just weird for weird's sake and it will never make him a dime, and dude is just like, That's cool, no complaints or take-down requests from me. I respect that

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Garfield without Garfield is spectacular IMHO

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Extra Large Marge posted:

On this podcast with the creators they mentioned the only complaint that they received from Jim Davis is that they remove a reference to the address of "Paws, Inc.", his comic studio.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/166s1naw0oDkcY0xthiClN

I remember that one and knew right away that they had flown waaay too close to the sun with the address.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Powerful Katrinka posted:

It's kind of baller that Davis is onboard with people getting weird with Garfield. It's not exactly a surprise he went ahead with the licensing for GarfieldEATS, since that was a possible avenue for more money (lol). Lasagna Cat is just weird for weird's sake and it will never make him a dime, and dude is just like, That's cool, no complaints or take-down requests from me. I respect that

IIRC he also gave the go ahead for a Garfield Minus Garfield book and even wrote a forward for it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
as a kid i hated garfield because it was boring and dumb but a lot of that is that in my paper it ran almost directly opposite calvin and hobbes, so the juxtaposition of the latest 3-panel copy and paste vs a kid my age literally using the word juxtaposition was kind of difficult to ignore.

it took another 10 years after C&H wrapped for me to realize that not only did most comics not go down like C&H, but in fact it was truly a once-in-a-lifetime sort of strip that only came about because watterson would've literally rather gone hungry than compromise his artistic integrity.

it's cool to see that but as an adult i'm a lot more cynical about the approach because it implies that you're only ever going to do one thing and have one shot at something in your life, and that's both shortsighted and hysterical. davis has proved it by just letting his dumb poo poo breathe UNTIL it became something spectacular (jack-off lantern is right, it's stellar) and then just came in and gave the literary equivalent of a warm hug to the cat who thought it up.

it doesn't change how amazing C&H is (i'm getting a few copies of the full compendium for my nieces, even), but it doesn't make davis a hack that he went out, got paid, and was cool about how his stuff developed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC he also gave the go ahead for a Garfield Minus Garfield book and even wrote a forward for it.

yea he did

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Jim Davis should be a Great Merchant in Civ dude's a marketing genius

Or should it be Great Artist not sure which category they stuck Steve Jobs into

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
From "Dilbert minus Dilbert"

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I think the mistake people make is thinking that Davis was lazy or something.

I've listened to some animation podcasts covering Davis career and in addition to the comics, he also was also highly involved in the planning of the Garfield tv movies. They were big rating grabbers for CBS who wanted to poo poo them out as fast as possible and by the sounds of things, Davis fought hard to make sure their quality was kept up.

By looking at just the awards for them, they did pretty well:

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

rotinaj posted:

Yeah, it’s this. Teenagers have lovely taste and the 80s/90s were dire for decent fantasy stuff. It’s the rare fantasy from that time period that has nothing horrifying to a 2023 reader.
Terry Goodkind is another one who falls into this camp. How many teenagers read the Sword of Truth series and glossed over Goodkind's abhorrent politics or his full display of his kinks?

This was before the modern internet, so you discovered these series by through friends or wandering around a bookstore. Well-known series like Xanth and Sword of Truth sold well and always had plenty of shelf space.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Harveygod posted:

I remember that one and knew right away that they had flown waaay too close to the sun with the address.

it is really funny that *that's* the one that got them to take action and not the shampoo one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I read one 'Sword of Truth' book and wrote him off as a very terrible rip-off of LotR. Never got further to discover what kind of bad person he might be.