Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'll be hosed if I can download video from reddit and rehost it, but the driver is the mechanical failure here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/11kx8jt/different_angle_and_extended_view_of_jeep_in/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Arrath posted:

I'll be hosed if I can download video from reddit and rehost it, but the driver is the mechanical failure here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/11kx8jt/different_angle_and_extended_view_of_jeep_in/

Guy is an idiot but I also really hate videos with “watch til the end” and then there’s no payoff. I was hoping someone would pull the moron out of his car before he killed someone. He was just bouncing like a pinball off the snow and other cars.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't know who's dumber, the guy doing the sliding or the Tesla owner who thought it best to get people to leave their protective cage milliseconds before a slow speed impact.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Guy is an idiot but I also really hate videos with “watch til the end” and then there’s no payoff. I was hoping someone would pull the moron out of his car before he killed someone. He was just bouncing like a pinball off the snow and other cars.
Worse than the big red circle right in the middle of the screen.

Why, yes, thank you good editing sir! I would never have seen that thermonuclear explosion otherwise!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Tesla owner knew that the car would catch on fire and the passengers would panic and not be able to remove the speaker grille, with the Tesla tool that requires a subscription, reach inside the door to the right, or left if you're on the passengers side, or is it the other way around? And then reach up to find the small wire that might either be the plebian manual door release or might be the speaker wire, pull with a sufficient amount of force but not too much or you'll just pull the wire out and........... Then burn to death.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

wesleywillis posted:

Tesla owner knew that the car would catch on fire and the passengers would panic and not be able to remove the speaker grille, with the Tesla tool that requires a subscription, reach inside the door to the right, or left if you're on the passengers side, or is it the other way around? And then reach up to find the small wire that might either be the plebian manual door release or might be the speaker wire, pull with a sufficient amount of force but not too much or you'll just pull the wire out and........... Then burn to death.

you have to make a racist tweet that gets boosted by elon in order to get the special code, then you have to wind the hand generator rapidly to give it enough juice to start the touchscreen so you can put the code in, all of this while everything is very much on fire.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The 5 cent manual reversion door latch wire was removed from this door assembly to save on production costs lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arrath posted:

You are hereby sentenced to drive only a 1993 Geo Metro until the end of your natural life.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

The 5 cent manual reversion door latch wire was removed from this door assembly to save on production costs lol

What's good for M&M Enterprises is good for the country!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Cached Money posted:

If you flip the blinker stalk up or down, the hvac system turns on in my Golf, without the key in the ignition.

My Scirocco does something similar, it's built in for some reason. Another Scirocco person brought it up on some forum and we all checked haha. I didn't know mk3s did it too

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I had a beater Paseo where the right turn signal had to be on to start it. The person I bought it from bought it like that, and claimed the seller said it was done on purpose to act as a kill switch, but it seemed janky as hell and I'm not convinced it wasn't somehow a wiring issue.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That's a common thing I saw when I worked doing emissions

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah I remember a. Dodge doing that as well.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

What's good for M&M Enterprises is good for the country!

Sounds good to me, I *am* a shareholder after all!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I had an Audi 80CC where I could put it in reverse, then pull out the key, and it would keep running. Put it in neutral or any other gear, and the engine would stop.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
New I Do Cars video dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hxw5eyK2tA

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

^ shot

Chaser:

Oh gently caress.

There’s always more, and it’s always worse.

https://i.imgur.com/I20g55u.mp4

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrYenko posted:

^ shot

Chaser:

Oh gently caress.

There’s always more, and it’s always worse.

https://i.imgur.com/I20g55u.mp4

Oh I've been seeing these guys for years driving south through or from Colorado. Always three cars. Sometimes with appropriate tow cars, usually not.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

StormDrain posted:

Oh I've been seeing these guys for years driving south through or from Colorado. Always three cars. Sometimes with appropriate tow cars, usually not.

Why would they limit to three? You could tow a dozen with this method.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Saukkis posted:

Why would they limit to three? You could tow a dozen with this method.

If you put another tow vehicle about 2/3 the way down the train, you could go even longer

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Safety Dance posted:

If you put another tow vehicle about 2/3 the way down the train, you could go even longer

Right, just turn on the engine and drop a brick on the pedal, it will help along the way!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
These guys are hustling, buying cars that have zero value in the US and hauling to Mexico where they'll have every last drop wrung out of them.

IIRC, a triple tow is legal in a lot of US states, but a quad-tow isn't. At least anywhere I know of. Even if these guys passed through a state where triples aren't legal, highway patrol just wants them through & out of their jurisdiction so they become someone else's problem.

Pulling them over and handing out tickets/impounding for unsafe operation just means you've wasted your time and a tow driver's time, and your impound yard now has three more junk vehicles that will never be claimed. These operators aren't exactly registered with the DOT, anyway, and I've never seen them driving so fast they'd create much of a problem if something broke loose.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At least the triple tow driver is discouraged from making sudden moves.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I hope I one day find a picture of my dad's forestry setup from the 80s. He had a tiny Terri 30 forestry machine. He hauled it with Opel Record and a small single axle trailer. He put the Terri on the trailer and the Terri's own trailer rode behind. I think he was stopped only once by police in the boonies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

I looked at the image first and initially thought the scale was significantly larger than reality - the lights? intakes? on the brow ridge below the handlebars looked to be windows.

That thing looks like it's hilarious fun to ride on.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

NoWake posted:

These guys are hustling, buying cars that have zero value in the US and hauling to Mexico where they'll have every last drop wrung out of them.

IIRC, a triple tow is legal in a lot of US states, but a quad-tow isn't. At least anywhere I know of. Even if these guys passed through a state where triples aren't legal, highway patrol just wants them through & out of their jurisdiction so they become someone else's problem.

Pulling them over and handing out tickets/impounding for unsafe operation just means you've wasted your time and a tow driver's time, and your impound yard now has three more junk vehicles that will never be claimed. These operators aren't exactly registered with the DOT, anyway, and I've never seen them driving so fast they'd create much of a problem if something broke loose.

20 years ago, you'd see the road trains 5 cars long here in TX. A coworker transplant from Michigan even called the highway patrol first time he saw one and they told him as long as it wasn't more than 5 cars and the rear one had some kind of functional brake lights, there wasn't much they could do.

But something must have changed de jure or de facto, I never see more than 3 these days.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I-35, I-10, or I-20?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

STR posted:

I-35, I-10, or I-20?

I -10 is cheating. Its like the middle free space in bingo.

Thats some weird rear end landscaping tho. Wet. Green...wants to be north Florida but not enough pine trees or highway-frontage billboard-trailers. You'd never make it almost 150 feet down north Florida I-10 without a trailer.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

1" slab man

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

`Nemesis posted:

1" slab man

i know it's always "because they're cheap or dumb" but who the gently caress would even think about mounting a lift on 1" slab?

the last time i had to deal with mounting something on slab was a 5 axis cnc machine and I have no clue how thick that slab was because I bottomed the 6" drill bit out and there was still some left.

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 20, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I don't think that picture gives enough information to know exactly why it failed.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Looks to me the slab split.

Should be a ~4-6" slab under the lift for a 4 ton f250.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah that looks like the anchors ruptured the concrete a few inches down in the center and the fracture propagated upwards at an angle towards the surface. We really can't tell how deep the concrete is or what strength it was or if there's any rebar from this picture.

This is why I'm very very uncomfortable about 2 posts with no lower or upper frame between the posts, and using wedge lock anchors. It might meet spec but it doesn't take much to create a really bad day. I plan on running a ton of rebar and actual footings for any lift I get, ideally with mounting plates poured into the concrete using long J bolts looped into the rebar cage, because I want to implicitly trust the thing I'm using to support a 3 ton paperweight I'm standing under.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

kastein posted:

Yeah that looks like the anchors ruptured the concrete a few inches down in the center and the fracture propagated upwards at an angle towards the surface. We really can't tell how deep the concrete is or what strength it was or if there's any rebar from this picture.

This is why I'm very very uncomfortable about 2 posts with no lower or upper frame between the posts, and using wedge lock anchors. It might meet spec but it doesn't take much to create a really bad day. I plan on running a ton of rebar and actual footings for any lift I get, ideally with mounting plates poured into the concrete using long J bolts looped into the rebar cage, because I want to implicitly trust the thing I'm using to support a 3 ton paperweight I'm standing under.

i was phone posting last night and yeah, now that i'm on my monitor, you can't really tell what the gently caress is going on

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao some good ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HKp2tRKo38

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy poo poo there are some good ones there for sure. I loved this especially.

https://youtu.be/3HKp2tRKo38?t=98

And the last one :3:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo there are some good ones there for sure. I loved this especially.

https://youtu.be/3HKp2tRKo38?t=98

And the last one :3:

I mean, they weren't wrong.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Darchangel posted:

I mean, they weren't wrong.

it's fuckin dead on Hot for Teacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon