Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://medium.com/@artofrostov/to-fans-of-disco-elysium-concerning-the-situation-at-za-um-3e6bc46ea9c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Fool posted:

its come up in this thread multiple times, I had assumed there was a base level of awareness

lol at reading a thread

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fair enough

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

lol at reading a thread

and one about video game drama at that!

i want to know, but i dont want to find out. it's hard out there for your boy achmed

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
What have you guys been buying on steam sale???

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Kenny Logins posted:

there is a hummel bummel for shadowrun (5e) and i'm very tempted even though i will likely never ever get to play it and even reading it is dicey at this point

:golfclap:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SpaceAceJase posted:

game titles to go on a list

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SpaceAceJase posted:

check out a game called rim world OP, it’s 20% off

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Oooh that stings.

Friendly reminder not to sell the rights to your IP fellas.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RokosCockatrice posted:

Oooh that stings.

Friendly reminder not to sell the rights to your IP fellas.

Why have IP if you're not going to profit off it?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Barotrauma is on sale, and it's is the best game I don't have time to play. They just released a 1.0 and I need a cadre of friends to take a crack at it with.

It's set in a not too distant future where humans have made it to Titan, and it turns out under the ice there's a thriving ecosystem of megafauna straight out of lovecraft. The core of the game is a submarine based systems manager sim, with several crew members and functions to manage, between the electronics and mechanics and actual sub captaining and fighting. It was designed with multiplayer in mind so things like voice chat are first class features, with in-world mechanics. And with randomly generated maps and missions and crew, and permadeath, it has a nice roguelike-together feel.

Long story short, the best part of the game is when a monstrosity has punched a whole in your hull, the decks are flooding, and you need to think on your feet before crush depth. Amazing stuff.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why have IP if you're not going to profit off it?

Lease, don't sell.

I think, especially with the incoming tidal wave of ai generated knockoffs, that IP will become harder and harder to own and protect as a class. It's not perfectly analogous, but music files became easy to copy and share and the entire industry had to turn on its heel to defend against and then embrace the new reality.

It suggests IP owners like Disney will have less control over Star Wars, which is a good thing, but make it all the more important for individual artists, like the creators of Elysium, to not sign away their own creations. Which might not be a bad thing.

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:guillotine:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo that is really well produced

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

its come up in this thread multiple times, I had assumed there was a base level of awareness
the thread is 640 pages (which ought to be enough for everybody), and I just stated reading it. ain't no way I have that much time or interest to go back that far

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

RokosCockatrice posted:

It suggests IP owners like Disney will have less control over Star Wars,

I'll be honest, I have no idea where you're getting this from.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Clash: Artifacts of Chaos is fun and if you like Souls games and/or Absolver and/or Xeno Clash, you should check it out. I just beat the second boss and I'm loving it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Just found out about Hyper Light Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQb-m0RaG0

Which seems like some kind of roguelike mashup of the amazing Hyper Light Drifter and Solar Ash (both of which are on sale!). I love this developer so much this game looks cool as heck

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

HLD is one of my favorite games ever made but ngl when i saw the "infinite open worlds!" thing in the HLB trailer it killed like 99% of my interest in it

also their art style works way better in 2D than 3D

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/discoelysium/status/1636383558779682819

:whitewater:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

quiggy posted:

HLD is one of my favorite games ever made but ngl when i saw the "infinite open worlds!" thing in the HLB trailer it killed like 99% of my interest in it

you can skateboard

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

quiggy posted:

Same. Well not 99% because I have a couple crews that love some coop roguelite and the gameplay still looks fun, but still.

Handmade worlds beat proc gen worlds pretty much every day. There's just so much less room for interesting nooks and crannies when you have to make sure the level building algorithm doesn't make dumb/unwinnable designs.

Same goes for items imo, but I've ranted that rant enough itt

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
did y'all never play dead cells or risk of rain?

E: or no man sky

I agree at first glance thats normally a turn off but they're one of the few developers where they can say something like that and i might be all about it and it does look really loving good. I dont know anything about the title so we'll wait and see i guess, didnt even realize it was coop.

I think the art style and proc gen worlds look incredible in that trailer but who knows in release

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 17, 2023

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I loved ROR 1 and 2. And I saw the appeal of Dead Cells, but something about it was just kinda off; I prefer my platformers to be more like Hollow Knight or Blasphemous.

Yeah you're right that Heart Machine just makes good games so I'm still hopeful. Just not as excited as I was before learning those details.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
solar ash was mostly good but this time I hope someone tells them "hard mode" should not mean "you must be frame perfect at every moment throughout the entire game"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
how the gently caress is diablo 4 $90

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

this was a fun intro to Microsoft Excel esports, that poo poo actually looks mad difficult: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2QC6VQXo8U

(disclaimer: past 12:50 in the vid isn't great, just the two presenters trying to Excel for themselves. rest of the video is good though)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

because it's dogshit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

blizzard and activision are both garbage companies

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Gotta pay off all the sexual harassment charges somehow

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

wait is diablo 4 the same as diablo immortal?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

immortal is the cell phone game made by netease

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

diablo isnt the only game doing this too, a handful of other aaa titles are bumping up their launch prices

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
gotta pay off asmongold and every single other video game youtuber to make a million gushing videos about how revolutionary your new item rarity system is

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

diablo isnt the only game doing this too, a handful of other aaa titles are bumping up their launch prices

the new legend of zelda game is $70 USD which is unheard of for a switch game apparently

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

$60 is a pretty wildly low cost considering how expensive games are to make, but unfortunately the extra money from selling them for more are almost certainly gonna go to the execs and not the people actually, y'know, making the games

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i wouldn't mind buying an AAA game for $60 if publishers and/or studios didn't keep nickel-and-diming for fuckin DLC/season-pass/boondoggle ultimate bullshit or whatever.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

also the games seem to get worse? NFS Unbound wasn't nearly as good as NFS Heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quiggy posted:

$60 is a pretty wildly low cost considering how expensive games are to make,

Oh come on. It's just some cardboard and dice. How expensive could it be